Start by marking “The Wayside School Collection” as Want to Read:
The Wayside School Collection

The Wayside School Collection (Wayside School #1-3)

4.39  ·  Rating Details ·  1,803 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Sideways Stories from Wayside School
Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story.

Wayside School is Falling Down
More humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, where students learn to tango, face the cafeteria's dreaded Mushroom Su
Audio, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by Random House (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Wayside School Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wayside School Collection

Dot
Jun 13, 2007 Dot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys named nancy and girls named mac
Shelves: fiction
I cannot wait to have children simply because I plan to immediately shove these books into their hands. I didn't even know such a box set existed but since I already own each of the three books in question, I decided to add them to my collection like this.

In case you don't know, Louis Sachar is an amazing writer. That aside, these stories are so friggin' smart and doofy that I recommend them to every adult I know who isn't afraid to read a doofy book. It's about a school that was mistakenly bui
Brenna
Dec 08, 2009 Brenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Louis Sachar doesn't do voices. He doesn't sing, either – not unless you count the “dramatic reading” stylings of William Shatner as singing (when incanting “Wayside School is Falling Down,” for instance, or performing one character's “Missing Sock” song).

This makes the audio book compilation of Sachar's three Wayside School books (Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Wayside School is Falling Down, and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger) that much easier to listen to, because Sachar himself
Sarah Sammis
In The Wayside School Collection by Louis Sachar is seven CDs (9 hours) of the author performing the three books in the series: Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Wayside School is Falling Down and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. Sachar's dry sense of humor and perfect sense of timing makes each joke hit its mark, making for a very silly series of shaggy dog stories.

Wayside School is Falling Down introduces the unusual school (a 30 story, one room per story building with a missing 19th
Liz
Nov 28, 2009 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids ages 8-10 (though I won't be recommending it)
Shelves: lis-565
Author Louis Sachar reads the first three volumes of his infamous Wayside School series, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Wayside School is Falling Down and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. Scahar's hilarious classroom antics have been favorites since they were published in the 1970's. Each story focus on the slightly strange nuances of the class on the 30th floor of Wayside School.

While the Wayside School stories may be hilarious and engaging in nature Sachar sucks all of the fun out
Lee Robinson
LOVED these boks when I was about 7 years old! Endlessly fascinating and imaginative stuff for the wee ones. A bit disappointing as an adult (picked up a coy last year; just wasn't the same) but isn't that just true for most of the books and movies that captured us in those days? (with a few notable exceptions...)
Annie
Mar 15, 2009 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think these books had something to do with my personality.
Emily
Apr 10, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all the Wayside School books. They're funny and creative.
Tina
Feb 02, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the series of 3 books is awesome. they are so funny.
Cameron
I THINK IT WAS CRAZY!!!!!!!! Oh and magicale.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Wayside school is just a little different. The builder built the school sideways, so it's 30 classrooms stacked on top of each other. Mrs. Jewls's class is on the 30th floor. That makes for a long hike for her students. The students at Wayside are a little different as well. One boy has a literal compulsion to pull a girl's braids. One student sleeps all the time. Everyone calls a new kid by the wrong name and he never corrects anyone. One new kid shows up wearing a raincoat and there's a huge s ...more
Christy
Dec 03, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, popular
SIDEWAYS STORIES FROM WAYSIDE SCHOOL–You can imagine the confusion at Wayside School when the builder made a terrible mistake. Instead of building 30 classrooms side-by-side, he built them one on top of another. Maybe that accounts for the wacky goings-on in Mrs. Jewls' class. Where else will you find children being turned into apples, dead rats wearing raincoats, and li...moreSIDEWAYS STORIES FROM WAYSIDE SCHOOL–You can imagine the confusion at Wayside School when the builder made a terrible mi ...more
Heather
May 27, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook read by the author. Wayside school is a little different from other schools. There is a reason these delightful children and wacky happenings have been around for so many years. The appeal stands the test of time.

The audio version moved a little slow for me...but it is probably a great pace for kid listeners!

Summaries:
Sideways stories from Wayside School: Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one class
Starry
Jun 07, 2011 Starry rated it really liked it
We've had such fun listening to this collection of stories as a family! The author reads them in his deadpan voice, which is perfect for the tongue-in-cheek humor. This CD set is great for a long vacation drive, since each story only last a few minutes but the entire collection is several hours' worth of entertainment.

Caveat #1: The stories are hilarious but also ridiculous so not for the kid who takes things seriously or literally (eg, there's a running theme about dead rats; the dead rats snea
Camille
Jun 10, 2015 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books make me laugh right out loud every time I read or listen to them. They are quirky and hilarious, which is why my 10 y/o has checked the books and audio CDs out multiple times over the last couple of years.

One note: there are some places where characters refer to others as jerks, stupid, fat, etc., which are common enough words but not ones I allow my kids or students to use at home or at school when referring to people. If I'm reading aloud to younger kids, I usually edit it a littl
Jamie
May 07, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh! The book contained 30 stories about students and teachers at Wayside School, because that is how many floors there are in the building. You see, Wayside School was built the wrong way; it was built UP rather than one story with 30 classrooms in a row. Each story is a new adventure; totally wacky, interesting and exciting stories. I found myself smiling at the end of each story...even better once I started a story I couldn't stop because I had to see what happened to the ...more
Mandy
Apr 03, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this collection of 3 Wayside books. I vaguely remembered them from my childhood, so I was curious to revisit them. (I now think I may have just seen my siblings read them as it did not ring any bells.) After the first disc, I was thinking it was beyond silly and thought about throwing in the towel. But after you realize it's nothing like a realistic school story, then it's easier to bear. So here's my thought: read this with a child if possible, they will laugh at the silliness.
Tobinsfavorite
Oct 23, 2014 Tobinsfavorite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are a fine thing for a road trip. The stories just get better and better, and the throw-away asides (example: "Todd was sent to your school.") make a grown-up giggle. The adults, and how they got the way they are, are wonderfully absurd. Everyone has a backstory, and the backstories are all fun.

The kids all like these books; the adult who reads more children's books likes them; and the adult who often has less patience for our road-trip literature was laughing with the rest of us.
Tiffany
Jan 17, 2017 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took a family road trip from San Diego to San Francisco and was looking for an audiobook to keep my 8-year old nephew from asking "are we there, yet?" The stories of the class on the 30th floor entertained 3 generations of listeners with grandparents, parents and child all laughing.

Not only did the book successfully make the road trip even more fun, but my nephew also bought the books when he got home.

My favorite chapter is 19 in the first book. :)
Zoey
Aug 31, 2016 Zoey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wayside school books are one of my favorite, by FAR. In the first one, they have a really mean teacher, and, SPOILER, she turns them into apples. Last, in wayside school gets a little stranger, their teacher has a baby. Wayside school is a really good book series. The kids in the books are on the 30th story of their school. I think that they are the weirdest kids in the school. The kids have really weird teachers, one of them, can read peoples minds!

Minjun
Jun 08, 2009 Minjun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These Wayside stories are fantasticly hilarious! I laughed my head off when I read about the part where Jane and Ms.Drazil has a race(?) in the forst! Sachar grossed me out by telling the little part of the story, and done! So Sachar makes me think of the end, since he had told from the middle of the story! I liked it when Allison discovers 19th story!!!! I like Wayside School, alot! I want to go to there!!!
Chococatgirl11
Feb 02, 2008 Chococatgirl11 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to have a good laugh every once in a while.
Super silly books that involve everything from a teacher that turns kids into apples, to an invasion of cows that causes the school to close, to a teacher that thinks the students are talking monkeys! Each book has 30 chapters but the books are very short. I saw the play at the Arden Theater a few years ago for the first book, Sideways Stories At Wayside School, and I literally fell out of my seat because I was laughing so hard.
Elizabeth
Nov 11, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've done it two years in a row so it is a tradition: listening to Wayside school audio books to kick off the school year's carpool.
All the kids loved this one, it is funny, easy to start and stop, has a few good lessons and mostly is funny, so all enjoy. IMO the first book is by far the best with the second two a little too wacky in parts, but overall recommended for school aged kids (and their parents).
Jordi Rivera
Feb 06, 2012 Jordi Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first looked at the book I thought it was wack, but then I gave it a try. After the few first pages, I was bored! The book talks about a school that was built upside down; instead of have 1 floor with 26 rooms, they had 26 floors with 1 room in each! After that, it was getting interesting because they talk about all the students and teachers that go to the school, and I highly doubt there's a normal kid in there or even teacher! I really liked the book and I reccomend the book to you.
Rachel
I didn't like these stories at first because I took literature too seriously. :P Freaked me out to imagine kids being turned into apples and such! But I couldn't deny the creativity--and the appeal of certain characters and situations. Soon enough realism gave way to fantasy for me--I suppose that Hogwarts was just a better fit as a magical school. :P
Susan
Jan 15, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved these books! My boys have all listened to these audiobooks many, many times and I'd heard so much about them, that I decided to listen with them this time. I smiled as each chapter title was read, one or two of the boys would say "oh, I love this chapter!!" - every single time!!

Great stories that were so cleverly and humourously written.

Very highly recommended!
Andrew
Aug 18, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just before my wedding I found one of these in my wife's family home and I realized I had never read the NON-math Wayside books. My mother is a math teacher, so I read those ones for sure. Anyway, with the wedding planning and execution going on I didn't really have the attention span for anything adult and these were a nice distraction before bed.
Lauren
Jan 02, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OVERALL: 5 stars

Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1) - 5 stars

These wacky tales were some of my favorites to read. They are just so entertaining and enjoyable I think any kid would find them humorous.

Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2) - 5 stars

Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) - 5 stars
Margaret Muirhead
Fiona L. gave these books to Abe for his eighth birthday. They are so upside down, inside out, crooked, backward, off-kilter, slanted, and demented that we absolutely adored them. Five stars for Wayside School. Five stars for Fiona!
Melissa
Dec 20, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED these stories in Elementary School!!! Everytime someone gets a tatoo, I think about the kid who tatooed a potatoe to himself - so Classic! I need to track these down so I can re-read them, I loved them!
Chris
Oct 27, 2008 Chris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This series was recommended to me by my mother in law. She's an elementary teacher, and trying to help me find some entertaining books for my 10 year old to read. I haven't had time to start reading them yet, but they do look like fun. I do enjoy Sachar's strange humor.
  • A Baroque Fable
  • Dizzy
  • The Subject of Semiotics
  • Blind Date
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • Chessmen of Doom
  • The Best Pet of All
  • The Ecstasy of Communication (Foreign Agents)
  • Documentary: A History of the Non-Fiction Film
  • Blossom Comes Home
  • Curious George's First Day of School
  • The World of Mr. Mulliner
  • The Ramona Collection, Vol. 2: (Ramona, #4-#5, #7-8)
  • Humpty Dumpty in Oakland
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • Big Blonde and Other Stories
  • Sundiata: Lion King of Mali
  • Garbo
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...

Wayside School (5 books)
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School (Wayside School #2.5)
  • More Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School (Wayside School #2.6)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)