Start by marking “Misery” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  277,291 ratings  ·  4,560 reviews
Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house.
Published May 31st 2007 by Hodder (first published June 8th 1987)

'Misery' is a gruesome story of torture with blood, guts, and a psychopath. It's a well told tale, the characters are well developed and the fact that there are only two of them never gets boring. It's a real page turner, in fact I finished it tonight after getting off the subway on the platform before I walked home. But, this book is more than just a thriller, just like King is more than just a pulp writer.

I read an article by the ever optimistic and cheerful Harold Bloom in college about how d

Buddy-read with Stepheny and Bev aka How to survive a buddy-read with Stephen King's real # 1 fan.

1) Smile and nod a lot.

2) Let her be called #1 fan....not #2 fan...No no no that won't do!!

3) Take away allllll sharp objects- I like my limbs- thank you very much.

4) When in doubt...go back to rule #1.

I mean...seriously- look how cute and doll-like she is...How can you be afraid of that? But looks can be deceiving folks- her bark and her bite....can be deadly. Run Stephen RUUUUUUNNNN!!!

photo 8da56665-ddc2-474c-9013-0ae637c1a4ee_zpst819jhiw.jpg

My whole life people have had a hard time handling my obsessive passionate personality. I don’t ever just like things- I’m either completely enamored with it or not all that interested. It’s just how I was made. My obsession with Harry Potter is seen as “excessive” and I’m constantly made fun of for my fondness of it. I get asked “aren’t you a little old for that” almost regularly and I have given up trying to respond because I really don’t feel it necessary to explain myself to anyone.

I am als
Will M.
*I just watched the movie and I can safely say that the book was 100x more enjoyable for me. I didn't like the changes that they did, but the cast was spot on. Couldn't ask for a better Paul and Annie.

After the two month hiatus from Stephen King, I promised myself that I'm not going to let the fact that he's my favorite author, affect my rating of whatever book of his I'm reading next. I think I've proven myself before by giving Wizard and Glass a 2-star rating, even if it was damn

I've been re-visiting some of my King All-star Team this year as audiobooks and am reminded yet again that Uncle Steve is The Man. No matter what asshats and embittered douchebags like "literary critic" Harold Bloom say, King is one of the greatest storytellers in any language of all time, full stop. Is everything he's written pure gold? Of course not. Given the sheer size of the man's canon, that's to be expected. But even when I think King has put up something less than stellar, I always feel
Vane J.

You know those times in which you love a book, love it so so much you also start loving the author, and then you promise yourself you’re going to read more of his/her works until you finally declare yourself to be one of their fans? I do, and I bet Annie Wilkes did too.

There’s a series of books I love with all my heart and soul – you already know which it is. Well, the thing is, not long ago I reread it, and I went… a little crazy over the head. I got damn obsessed about it (I still am) and I c
Natalie Monroe
Misery was my first ever Stephen King novel.

There I was, an impressionable 14-year-old girl drunk on romances with none-fade-into-black sex scenes. Then my favorite English teacher recommended I read Misery. "Your life will never be the same," he said.

He was right.

Misery is about the kind of fan that loves their chosen celebrity a little too much. Like the man who shot John Lennon. Or stalkers that drive to Miley Cyrus's house with a bouquet of roses and a foam finger. The odd buttons that spoil
Mary JL
Jun 20, 2010 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any horror OR mystery fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
You may have seen the movie or you at least know the story. So, you think, why read it? Well, first the book differs somewhat from the move and goes into more depth. Since there are only really two major characers, Anne Wilkes and Paul Sheldon, her captive writer, King can delve into their characters at length--and he does.

I personally feel this is one of Stepehn King's strongest books. I particulary find it horrifying because it is a bit more possible that some of his books. I don't really beli
Acclaimed novelist Paul Sheldon, badly injured in a car accident, is held captive by deranged super-fan Annie Wilkes. A former RN, she vows to aid him back to health until he’s well enough to make the trek to a hospital. However, it’s on one condition; he write a new novel featuring his signature character Misery Chastain - just for her.

Outside of the legendary Randall Flagg, Annie Wilkes has to be the most terrifying villain King created. Mentally unbalanced and completely unpredictable, she’s
Edward Lorn
Apr 08, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of all shapes and sizes.
Misery was the second Stephen King book I ever read. This was very shortly after Dolores Claiborne. I came across Misery much the same way I did Dolores Claiborne - through my mother's subscription to the Stephen King Book Club. The big difference here was, my mother knew about me reading Misery. She had already read the novel (her buddy Andrita had loaned her the book when it first came out in 1987), and figured I was of an age (fourteen) where I wouldn't be too terribly scarred by the events o ...more
بخصوص التقييم
أعطى للرواية الأصلية لستيفن كينج خمسة نجوم
وللمترجم أربعة نجوم
ولدار النشر فيما يختص بالطباعة ثلاث نجوم فقط
و سوف أفرد تفصيليا أسباب تقييمى هذا إن شاء الله

أما عن ستيفن كينج فحدث و لا حرج
روائى بارع هو و استطاع ان يحبس أنفاسي حقا ... بل و يشعرنى بجميع آلام بول النفسية و الجسدية فى كل مرحلة عاشها خلال الرواية
الرواية ممتعة إلى أقصى حد
و كما قلت فى أثناء تقييمى خلال القراءة
أنا أعشق الفيلم حقا و كاثى بيتس فى دور آنى كانت أكثر من رائعة
مخيفة إلى أبعد حد و صادقة
و ما توقع
Alice Lee
My first time ever picking up Stephen King, it was this book. And ever since then, my entire reading list was everything he's ever written, and I hailed Stephen King as my favorite author for years. Of course by now, having read most of his works, I wouldn't still say he's "the best writer ever". He's definitely produced some trash along with a few treasures. Misery is, without a question, one of the treasures.

Before Misery I had no idea that it was possible to sit at the edge of my seat, litera
„Bez brige Paule , ja sam školovana medicinska sestra „
Yeah , right ...

Jako bolan roman . Svaka stranica je bolna . Bolno je što pratimo Paula koji je i fizicki i psihicki mučen . Annie je neka mješavina finoće i ludila. . Najgroznije su Paulove scene u kojima sebe krivi što mu Annie nanosi bol . Jako dobar psiho roman , gdje pratimo kako polako počinju ludit ( oboje ) .
Annie Wilkes je ja mislim najbolji i najrealniji ženski lik ( ali i zlikovca ) kojeg je King ikada stvorio .

Priča u priči je s

Kakav bi par iz pakla bili Džek Torens i Eni Vilks :D
Roman pisan u najboljem maniru starog, dobrog Kinga.
Odličan 5*!
Kevin Cambronero
Los depresivos se suicidan. Los psicóticos, mecidos en una cuna venenosa de su propio ego, quieren hacer el favor a todos lo que les rodean de llevárselos con ellos.

Es sorprendente la habilidad con la que King creó toda una novela con una trama tan simple. En ningún momento se me hizo pesado o aburrido, la verdad es que me atrapó de principio a fin. La historia se va haciendo más interesante conforme avanza, pero desde que comienza es excelente.

Cuando miras al abismo, el abismo también te mira a
Update: I haven't been here for a while (writing reviews, that is) so I didn't realize this required a (view spoiler). Also, I haven't been receiving updates until recently, so my apologies for not doing this sooner. And ~ I have a feeling I haven't used the correct format, re: spoiler alert, but I hope it will serve as sufficient warning.

No doubt there are many Stephen King fans who loved this book, but personally I am not into reading about chopping off a foot, and the
“As always, the blessed relief of starting, a feeling that was like falling into a hole filled with bright light. As always, the glum knowledge that he would not write as well as he wanted to write. As always the terror of not being able to finish, of accelerating into a brick wall. As always, the marvelous joyful nervy feeling of journey begun.”

“But characters in stories DO NOT just slip away! God takes us when He thinks it’s time and a writer is God to the people in a story. He made them up
Of course, I've seen the movie. Many, many times. Kathy Bates is uh-mazing, and always freaks my shit out in that movie.
The book is even freakier.

Misery is now the one and only Stephen King book I've read, and I didn't want to like it as much as I did. I always imagined King's writing to be simplistic, and even terse; such writing would make for great screenplays (and great movies (Kathy Bates!)), but not necessarily high art. I mean, how can an author THAT major actually be worth reading? #sn
Quando pegamos num livro, abrimos a porta para o cérebro de um escritor e, lemos a sua vívida imaginação... mas... nesse entretanto, não será também essa a realidade do mesmo?

Ao percorrer galopantemente as páginas deste magnífico, terrífico, thriller, conhecendo os recantos mais obscuros duma vilã sem defeitos, chego ao fim e só uma pergunta continua insistente no meu próprio cérebro... uma dúvida que me assolou quase desde o início, principalmente por causa das duas simples frases com que o liv
Psychotic brain fuckery at it's very finest.

Definitely one of King's best.

If you haven't read it then you're a very dirty bird.
Where I got the book: well, I was staying in my niece's old room while I was in England, my sister and her husband being happy empty nesters, and there it was on the shelf. A tattered mmpb with exactly the schlocky cover shown above, its pages yellowed like the teeth of a 100-year-old smoker, smelling faintly of mildew even though the room was dry and pleasant. A used bookstore buy, or a borrow?

I have not read Stephen King (except for On Writing) since some time in the 80s when something in The
This was a fantastic audiobook. The recurring musical interludes gave me a chill each time I heard them unexpectedly. The book is much more gruesome than the movie, and reminded me why I never forgot that chilling portrayal of Annie Wilkes!
Great psychopath, great characters and EXCELLENT writing style! Although I didn't find it a bit scary, it was incredibly entertaining. Joy joy joy!
Franco  Santos
Un muy buen libro. Con esta historia King demuestra que tiene una imaginación inconmensurable.

Empieza bien, un poco lento, pero bien. La trama va ganando fuerza y se va haciendo cada vez más amena a medida que las páginas van pasando.

Annie Wilkes es una de mis personajes favoritos. Es excelente. Es tan desquiciada, demente, salvaje, enferma, calculadora, cruel y desequilibrada...

Me encantó mucho la perspectiva de Paul Sheldon, cómo King nos contaba todo lo que sentía, pensaba, sufría.

Esto es
I have checked, unchecked and checked again the Horror box for my book shelves on this one. I've always interpreted the term horror to refer to a genre of books where there is some kind of supernatural entity causing people to be, well, horrified. Like a creepy clown who comes out of the storm drains. Or a hotel that's possessed by evil spirits. Or a young girl who can move objects with the power of her mind.

In "Misery," the object of fear is a dumpy ex-nurse named Annie, living alone in the Ro
This has vaulted over almost every other Stephen King book I've read to my top spot, tied with Salems' Lot. I'll have to read Salems' Lot again to see if it really as as good as I remember. Misery is great, completely engrossing.
This book reminded me of something King said in "On Writing", about the writing process. He said to him sometimes, writing was like excavating a dinosaur skeleton. You find just a rib at first, that's like the initial idea. But the whole story is there, it's just buried
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuy buen libro, no podía soltarlo.
Hacía mucho que no sufría TANTO con una historia, soñé dos noches seguidas que intentaba rescatar a Paul.

“La verdad no es realmente más extraña que la ficción, digan lo que digan. La mayoría de las veces uno sabe exactamente cómo van a salir las cosas.”

Este libro me provocó tantas cosas que no sé por donde empezar, así que voy a escribir hasta que me parezca que estoy hablando demasiado.

Hace mucho tiempo que quiero leer este libro porque me llamaba la atención el tema de la fan loca.
Durante el transcurso de la lectura, uno siente como una especie de claustrofobia, una sensación de encierro terri
Sarah ( Paris )

تمر أحداث هذه الرواية أمامك كـ أحداث فيلم سينمائي
سريعة وتخطف الأنفاس ..
مفاجأة في كل سطر ورعب في كل صفحة ..

الرواية عن الروائي ( بول شيلدون ) الذي يجد نفسه محتجزاً في منزل امرأة مجنونة ( آني ويلوكس - الممرضة التي تحتجز الكاتب في منزلها و هي أيضاً معجبة بكتاباته )
وذلكَ بعد تعرضه لحادث سيارة في منطقة شبه معزولة ..

اقتبس البطل من إحدى الروايات : " كانَ من الممكن أن يأتي شخْصٌ ما ، ويخفف من روع الصبي ، ولكن لم يأْتِ أحد ........ لأَنه لا يوجَد أحد "

هذا الإقتباس يلخص كلَ رعبه وعجزه ، والوضع الغريب
Scary books 5 40 Sep 28, 2015 03:22AM
What would you do if you were paralyzed, and stuck in somebody's house? 23 210 Jul 08, 2015 12:56PM
Just finished the movie...AGAIN!! 13 125 Jun 25, 2015 08:14PM
Stephen King Fans: Misery 144 542 Jun 09, 2015 09:06PM
  • The Bachman Books
  • Fludd
  • The Damnation Game
  • The Bad Seed
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • The Fog
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Night Chills
  • Psycho
  • Usher's Passing
  • Shadows
  • The Throat
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • Creepshow
  • A Simple Plan
  • Red
More about Stephen King...

57 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I am your number one fan.” 87 likes
“Writers remember everything...especially the hurts. Strip a writer to the buff, point to the scars, and he'll tell you the story of each small one. From the big ones you get novels. A little talent is a nice thing to have if you want to be a writer, but the only real requirement is the ability to remember the story of every scar.
Art consists of the persistence of memory.”