Start by marking “Misery” as Want to Read:
Misery

Misery

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  336,828 Ratings  ·  5,984 Reviews
Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house.
Published May 31st 2007 by Hodder (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Misery, please sign up.

Eric I first read Misery in '87 when it came out and thought, "Now this is a King story they will never make into a film." Mostly because it is such and…moreI first read Misery in '87 when it came out and thought, "Now this is a King story they will never make into a film." Mostly because it is such and internal narrative where the bulk of the suspense and horror come from inner turmoil which would be hard to put on film effective. I was kinda right, because they did change it so much for the film. The book is a much different journey. I did enjoy it more then the film, but I like both.(less)

Kate
Nov 05, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Misery' is a gruesome story of torture with blood, guts, and a psychopath. It's a well told tale, the characters are well developed and the fact that there are only two of them never gets boring. It's a real page turner, in fact I finished it tonight after getting off the subway on the platform before I walked home. But, this book is more than just a thriller, just like King is more than just a pulp writer.

I read an article by the ever optimistic and cheerful Harold Bloom in college about how d
Kemper
Honestly, who among us hasn’t gotten frustrated with their favorite writer and felt like holding them prisoner while forcing them to write the exact book that we want?

Well, don’t do that because it would be wrong! What kind of twisted freaks are you people?!?

Paul Sheldon is a best selling author who just ended his popular series of romance/adventure novels by killing off the lead character, Misery Chastain. After finishing a new novel at a Colorado resort Paul has a car accident and awakes to fi
Dan Schwent
May 16, 2016 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2016-books
To celebrate completing a novel, writer Paul Sheldon goes on a champagne-fueled drive in the Rocky mountains. He winds up in a near fatal car crash, but never fear. He's rescued by Annie Wilkes, his #1 fan...

I watched the film version of Misery in those antediluvian days before Goodreads, hell, before the Internet, and decided to finally read the novel when it showed up on my BookGorilla email one day. It was $2.99 very well spent.

Misery is a tale of obsession, addiction, and obsession. I wrote
Stepheny

My whole life people have had a hard time handling my obsessive passionate personality. I don’t ever just like things- I’m either completely enamored with it or not all that interested. It’s just how I was made. My obsession with Harry Potter is seen as “excessive” and I’m constantly made fun of for my fondness of it. I get asked “aren’t you a little old for that” almost regularly and I have given up trying to respond because I really don’t feel it necessary to explain myself to anyone.

I am als
Will M.
*I just watched the movie and I can safely say that the book was 100x more enjoyable for me. I didn't like the changes that they did, but the cast was spot on. Couldn't ask for a better Paul and Annie.

-------------

After the two month hiatus from Stephen King, I promised myself that I'm not going to let the fact that he's my favorite author, affect my rating of whatever book of his I'm reading next. I think I've proven myself before by giving Wizard and Glass a 2-star rating, even if it was damn
Vitor Martins
Oct 11, 2016 Vitor Martins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Devo começar dizendo que esse foi o primeiro livro da minha vida que me fez sentir MEDO REAL OFICIAL™

Esse, sem dúvidas, é um livro intenso. Logo nas primeiras páginas eu já me senti completamente preso e desesperado para saber como a história iria se desenrolar. Quanto mais eu lia, mais eu me envolvia com os personagens e, mesmo quando eu fechava o livro, não conseguia parar de pensar na Annie. Por vários dias encarei o livro no meu criado mudo antes de dormir e simplesmente não tinha CORAGEM de
Ron
Jan 07, 2017 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, suspense
Update 1/8/17:

There’s crazy, and then there’s the Mommy, I’m scared crazy. Annie is that second one. She’s the one you don’t want to cross - in any way. Ticking time bombs are called ticking for a reason. At some point, they’re going to go off. But Annie’s like a wasp compared to the honeybee because she’s the bomb that can explode, and explode, and explode. Poor Paul Sheldon. He didn’t even get the chance to avoid the crazy that is Annie. ”I’m your number one fan!” My ass.

Movie confession. Yes,
Mario
The reason authors almost always put a dedication on a book, Annie, is because their selfishness even horrifies themselves in the end.

Goodbye sleep and hello Annie!

I'm certain that my favorite book by King will always be Pet Sematary, but this book came pretty close to changing my mind. And just like I'm sure that Pet Sematary will always be my favorite, I'm also sure that Misery one will always remain my second favorite.

I honestly don't know how King does it. This is, without a doubt, the most
Trudi

I've been re-visiting some of my King All-star Team this year as audiobooks and am reminded yet again that Uncle Steve is The Man. No matter what asshats and embittered douchebags like "literary critic" Harold Bloom say, King is one of the greatest storytellers in any language of all time, full stop. Is everything he's written pure gold? Of course not. Given the sheer size of the man's canon, that's to be expected. But even when I think King has put up something less than stellar, I always feel
Natalie Monroe
Misery was my first ever Stephen King novel.

There I was, an impressionable 14-year-old girl drunk on romances with none-fade-into-black sex scenes. Then my favorite English teacher recommended I read Misery. "Your life will never be the same," he said.

He was right.

Misery is about the kind of fan that loves their chosen celebrity a little too much. Like the man who shot John Lennon. Or stalkers that drive to Miley Cyrus's house with a bouquet of roses and a foam finger. The odd buttons that spoil
Carol
A super intense thriller where I could just envision Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes inflicting her horrors on Paul Sheldon; but as scary as the movie was, the book is much more terrifying! Poor Paul endures more than one (view spoiler) that completely surprised me. One of the scariest and best Stephen King novels I've read thus far!
Vane J.
Aug 27, 2014 Vane J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king, 2015

You know those times in which you love a book, love it so so much you also start loving the author, and then you promise yourself you’re going to read more of his/her works until you finally declare yourself to be one of their fans? I do, and I bet Annie Wilkes did too.

There’s a series of books I love with all my heart and soul – you already know which it is. Well, the thing is, not long ago I reread it, and I went… a little crazy over the head. I got damn obsessed about it (I still am) and I c
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of all shapes and sizes.
Misery was the second Stephen King book I ever read. This was very shortly after Dolores Claiborne. I came across Misery much the same way I did Dolores Claiborne - through my mother's subscription to the Stephen King Book Club. The big difference here was, my mother knew about me reading Misery. She had already read the novel (her buddy Andrita had loaned her the book when it first came out in 1987), and figured I was of an age (fourteen) where I wouldn't be too terribly scarred by the events o ...more
Rola
و سوف أفرد تفصيليا أسباب تقييمى هذا إن شاء الله

-----------------

تحديث

أما عن ستيفن كينج فحدث و لا حرج
روائى بارع هو و استطاع ان يحبس أنفاسي حقا ... بل و يشعرنى بجميع آلام بول النفسية و الجسدية فى كل مرحلة عاشها خلال الرواية
الرواية ممتعة إلى أقصى حد
و كما قلت فى أثناء تقييمى خلال القراءة
أنا أعشق الفيلم حقا و كاثى بيتس فى دور آنى كانت أكثر من رائعة
مخيفة إلى أبعد حد و صادقة
و ما توقع
Brandon
Acclaimed novelist Paul Sheldon, badly injured in a car accident, is held captive by deranged super-fan Annie Wilkes. A former RN, she vows to aid him back to health until he’s well enough to make the trek to a hospital. However, it’s on one condition; he write a new novel featuring his signature character Misery Chastain - just for her.

Outside of the legendary Randall Flagg, Annie Wilkes has to be the most terrifying villain King created. Mentally unbalanced and completely unpredictable, she’s
Mary JL
Apr 15, 2009 Mary JL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any horror OR mystery fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
You may have seen the movie or you at least know the story. So, you think, why read it? Well, first the book differs somewhat from the move and goes into more depth. Since there are only really two major characers, Anne Wilkes and Paul Sheldon, her captive writer, King can delve into their characters at length--and he does.

I personally feel this is one of Stepehn King's strongest books. I particulary find it horrifying because it is a bit more possible that some of his books. I don't really beli
Kevin Cambronero
Aug 05, 2015 Kevin Cambronero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror, stephen-king
Los depresivos se suicidan. Los psicóticos, mecidos en una cuna venenosa de su propio ego, quieren hacer el favor a todos lo que les rodean de llevárselos con ellos.

Es sorprendente la habilidad con la que King creó toda una novela con una trama tan simple. En ningún momento se me hizo pesado o aburrido, la verdad es que me atrapó de principio a fin. La historia se va haciendo más interesante conforme avanza, pero desde que comienza es excelente.

Annie Wilkes es una villana que de verdad se merece
Srividya
I am always on the lookout for books from different genres, written by different authors and usually manage to find some good ones from everyone’s shelf. With King, I simply loved the first two books, namely, The Shining and The Green Mile. However, this one was a drastically different experience. To say that I didn’t like it would be obvious but what’s more important is that I was alternately irritated and bored while reading the book. It had everything in terms of the premise to make it a wond ...more
Foad
زنى تنها و روانى، به نام "آنی ویلکس"، كه طرفدار پر و پا قرص يك نويسنده است، او را گروگان مى گيرد، در خانه اش زندانى اش مى كند، به مواد مخدر معتادش مى كند تا هميشه نيازمند او باشد، پاهايش را با تبر قطع مى كند تا فرار نكند، و مى گويد: برايم داستان بنويس!
در تمام گيتى، چه چيزى دلهره آورتر از اين هست؟
و تلاش نويسنده، براى نجات خود.
استیفن کینگ، در مصاحبه ای گفته که آنی ویلکس، در حقیقت استعاره ای از اعتیاد خودش به موادّ مخدّر بوده.
Alice Lee
Jul 09, 2008 Alice Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
My first time ever picking up Stephen King, it was this book. And ever since then, my entire reading list was everything he's ever written, and I hailed Stephen King as my favorite author for years. Of course by now, having read most of his works, I wouldn't still say he's "the best writer ever". He's definitely produced some trash along with a few treasures. Misery is, without a question, one of the treasures.

Before Misery I had no idea that it was possible to sit at the edge of my seat, litera
Amar
Sep 20, 2015 Amar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, kindle
„Bez brige Paule , ja sam školovana medicinska sestra „
Yeah , right ...

Jako bolan roman . Svaka stranica je bolna . Bolno je što pratimo Paula koji je i fizicki i psihicki mučen . Annie je neka mješavina finoće i ludila. . Najgroznije su Paulove scene u kojima sebe krivi što mu Annie nanosi bol . Jako dobar psiho roman , gdje pratimo kako polako počinju ludit ( oboje ) .
Annie Wilkes je ja mislim najbolji i najrealniji ženski lik ( ali i zlikovca ) kojeg je King ikada stvorio .

Priča u priči je s
ConstantReader Paul O'Neill
What a fantastic book! So much better than the film, and the film is great.

Of all the King books I've read, the writing in Misery stands out as the best. You can really tell that the author loved writing Paul and Annie.

A must for King fans, I'd highly recommend to anyone. I loved this that much that I already want to read it again! Page count is low also so it's ideal if you want to tuck into something lighter.
Jadranka

Kakav bi par iz pakla bili Džek Torens i Eni Vilks :D
Roman pisan u najboljem maniru starog, dobrog Kinga.
Odličan 5*!
❀Julie
Oct 28, 2015 ❀Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audiobook
This was a fantastic audiobook.  The recurring musical interludes gave me a chill each time I heard them unexpectedly.  The book is much more gruesome than the movie, and reminded me why I never forgot that chilling portrayal of Annie Wilkes!
Bonnie
Nov 16, 2008 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I haven't been here for a while (writing reviews, that is) so I didn't realize this required a (view spoiler). Also, I haven't been receiving updates until recently, so my apologies for not doing this sooner. And ~ I have a feeling I haven't used the correct format, re: spoiler alert, but I hope it will serve as sufficient warning.

No doubt there are many Stephen King fans who loved this book, but personally I am not into reading about chopping off a foot, and the
Jenny (adultishbooks)
Jan 24, 2016 Jenny (adultishbooks) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Standing up with the most dramatic slow clap.
Ashley
“As always, the blessed relief of starting, a feeling that was like falling into a hole filled with bright light. As always, the glum knowledge that he would not write as well as he wanted to write. As always the terror of not being able to finish, of accelerating into a brick wall. As always, the marvelous joyful nervy feeling of journey begun.”

“But characters in stories DO NOT just slip away! God takes us when He thinks it’s time and a writer is God to the people in a story. He made them up
Gorgona Grim
Jan 09, 2016 Gorgona Grim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Verovatno najgora stvar koja može da vam se desi jeste da se povredite i da, obzirom na to da ste u nemogućnost da usled povrede pomognete sami sebi, imate tu nesreću da je jedina prisutna osoba koja vam može pomoći psihički obolela.

Pol Šeldon ne samo da je imao automobilsku nesreću u kojoj se povredio, već je imao i nesreću da mu jedina u pomoć pritekne Eni Vilks, bivša medicinska sestra i njegov najveći fan. Pogađate, Pol Šeldon je pisac, a Eni u trenutku kada se nesreća dogodila završava čit
Felina
Oct 26, 2009 Felina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2009, star-5
Franco  Santos
Jul 23, 2014 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Un muy buen libro. Con esta historia King demuestra que tiene una imaginación inconmensurable.

Empieza bien, un poco lento, pero bien. La trama va ganando fuerza y se va haciendo cada vez más amena a medida que las páginas van pasando.

description

Annie Wilkes es una de mis personajes favoritos. Es excelente. Es tan desquiciada, demente, salvaje, enferma, calculadora, cruel y desequilibrada...

Me encantó mucho la perspectiva de Paul Sheldon, cómo King nos contaba todo lo que sentía, pensaba, sufría.

Esto es
A Million More Pages: BOTM 2017 - Misery - Starts 18th March 37 44 Mar 21, 2017 12:57PM
Stephen King Fans: Misery 164 698 Mar 19, 2017 02:37PM
Gore and More: January 2017 Group Read - Misery 51 76 Feb 14, 2017 03:23PM
Around the Year i...: Misery, by Stephen King 11 38 Jan 13, 2017 09:52PM
horrorbookclub: HorrorBookClub's January '17 Book of the Month: Misery by Stephen King 1 4 Jan 03, 2017 09:59AM
Bookworm Belles: Psychological Thriller: Misery 1 21 Jan 01, 2017 09:45AM
Barlow College Re...: Horror 2 3 Dec 21, 2016 08:30AM
  • Thinner
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • Creepshow
  • Boom!
  • Fludd
  • The Association
  • Darkness
  • Domain (Rats, #3)
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • Among the Missing
  • Strange Highways
More about Stephen King...

56 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Writers remember everything...especially the hurts. Strip a writer to the buff, point to the scars, and he'll tell you the story of each small one. From the big ones you get novels. A little talent is a nice thing to have if you want to be a writer, but the only real requirement is the ability to remember the story of every scar.
Art consists of the persistence of memory.”
156 likes