Start by marking “Misery” as Want to Read:
Misery

Misery

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  304,918 Ratings  ·  5,155 Reviews
Paul Sheldon est l’auteur à succès des aventures de Misery Chastain, héroïne romantique, qu’il finit par faire mourir dans son dernier roman. Au cours d’un voyage en montagne, il est victime d’un accident de voiture, et se réveille chez Annie Wilkes, ancienne infirmière, qui s’occupe de lui avec dévouement et qui dit être sa plus grande admiratrice. Mais elle se révèle si ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Livre de Poche (first published June 8th 1987)

Kate
Nov 12, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Misery' is a gruesome story of torture with blood, guts, and a psychopath. It's a well told tale, the characters are well developed and the fact that there are only two of them never gets boring. It's a real page turner, in fact I finished it tonight after getting off the subway on the platform before I walked home. But, this book is more than just a thriller, just like King is more than just a pulp writer.

I read an article by the ever optimistic and cheerful Harold Bloom in college about how d
Dan Schwent
May 19, 2016 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
To celebrate completing a novel, writer Paul Sheldon goes on a champagne-fueled drive in the Rocky mountains. He winds up in a near fatal car crash, but never fear. He's rescued by Annie Wilkes, his #1 fan...

I watched the film version of Misery in those antediluvian days before Goodreads, hell, before the Internet, and decided to finally read the novel when it showed up on my BookGorilla email one day. It was $2.99 very well spent.

Misery is a tale of obsession, addiction, and obsession. I wrote
Stepheny

My whole life people have had a hard time handling my obsessive passionate personality. I don’t ever just like things- I’m either completely enamored with it or not all that interested. It’s just how I was made. My obsession with Harry Potter is seen as “excessive” and I’m constantly made fun of for my fondness of it. I get asked “aren’t you a little old for that” almost regularly and I have given up trying to respond because I really don’t feel it necessary to explain myself to anyone.

I am als
Will M.
*I just watched the movie and I can safely say that the book was 100x more enjoyable for me. I didn't like the changes that they did, but the cast was spot on. Couldn't ask for a better Paul and Annie.

-------------

After the two month hiatus from Stephen King, I promised myself that I'm not going to let the fact that he's my favorite author, affect my rating of whatever book of his I'm reading next. I think I've proven myself before by giving Wizard and Glass a 2-star rating, even if it was damn
Mario
The reason authors almost always put a dedication on a book, Annie, is because their selfishness even horrifies themselves in the end.

Goodbye sleep and hello Annie!

I'm certain that my favorite book by King will always be Pet Sematary, but this book came pretty close to changing my mind. And just like I'm sure that Pet Sematary will always be my favorite, I'm also sure that Misery one will always remain my second favorite.

I honestly don't know how King does it. This is, without a doubt, the most
Trudi

I've been re-visiting some of my King All-star Team this year as audiobooks and am reminded yet again that Uncle Steve is The Man. No matter what asshats and embittered douchebags like "literary critic" Harold Bloom say, King is one of the greatest storytellers in any language of all time, full stop. Is everything he's written pure gold? Of course not. Given the sheer size of the man's canon, that's to be expected. But even when I think King has put up something less than stellar, I always feel
Vane J.
Oct 14, 2015 Vane J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king, 2015

You know those times in which you love a book, love it so so much you also start loving the author, and then you promise yourself you’re going to read more of his/her works until you finally declare yourself to be one of their fans? I do, and I bet Annie Wilkes did too.

There’s a series of books I love with all my heart and soul – you already know which it is. Well, the thing is, not long ago I reread it, and I went… a little crazy over the head. I got damn obsessed about it (I still am) and I c
Natalie Monroe
Misery was my first ever Stephen King novel.

There I was, an impressionable 14-year-old girl drunk on romances with none-fade-into-black sex scenes. Then my favorite English teacher recommended I read Misery. "Your life will never be the same," he said.

He was right.

Misery is about the kind of fan that loves their chosen celebrity a little too much. Like the man who shot John Lennon. Or stalkers that drive to Miley Cyrus's house with a bouquet of roses and a foam finger. The odd buttons that spoil
Edward Lorn
Apr 08, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of all shapes and sizes.
Misery was the second Stephen King book I ever read. This was very shortly after Dolores Claiborne. I came across Misery much the same way I did Dolores Claiborne - through my mother's subscription to the Stephen King Book Club. The big difference here was, my mother knew about me reading Misery. She had already read the novel (her buddy Andrita had loaned her the book when it first came out in 1987), and figured I was of an age (fourteen) where I wouldn't be too terribly scarred by the events o ...more
Mary JL
Jun 20, 2010 Mary JL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any horror OR mystery fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
You may have seen the movie or you at least know the story. So, you think, why read it? Well, first the book differs somewhat from the move and goes into more depth. Since there are only really two major characers, Anne Wilkes and Paul Sheldon, her captive writer, King can delve into their characters at length--and he does.

I personally feel this is one of Stepehn King's strongest books. I particulary find it horrifying because it is a bit more possible that some of his books. I don't really beli
Brandon
Acclaimed novelist Paul Sheldon, badly injured in a car accident, is held captive by deranged super-fan Annie Wilkes. A former RN, she vows to aid him back to health until he’s well enough to make the trek to a hospital. However, it’s on one condition; he write a new novel featuring his signature character Misery Chastain - just for her.

Outside of the legendary Randall Flagg, Annie Wilkes has to be the most terrifying villain King created. Mentally unbalanced and completely unpredictable, she’s
Rola
و سوف أفرد تفصيليا أسباب تقييمى هذا إن شاء الله

-----------------

تحديث

أما عن ستيفن كينج فحدث و لا حرج
روائى بارع هو و استطاع ان يحبس أنفاسي حقا ... بل و يشعرنى بجميع آلام بول النفسية و الجسدية فى كل مرحلة عاشها خلال الرواية
الرواية ممتعة إلى أقصى حد
و كما قلت فى أثناء تقييمى خلال القراءة
أنا أعشق الفيلم حقا و كاثى بيتس فى دور آنى كانت أكثر من رائعة
مخيفة إلى أبعد حد و صادقة
و ما توقع
Mahdi
زنى تنها و روانى، به نام "آنی ویلکس"، كه طرفدار پر و پا قرص يك نويسنده است، او را گروگان مى گيرد، در خانه اش زندانى اش مى كند، به مواد مخدر معتادش مى كند تا هميشه نيازمند او باشد، پاهايش را با تبر قطع مى كند تا فرار نكند، و مى گويد: برايم داستان بنويس!
در تمام گيتى، چه چيزى دلهره آورتر از اين هست؟
و تلاش نويسنده، براى نجات خود.
استیفن کینگ، در مصاحبه ای گفته که آنی ویلکس، در حقیقت استعاره ای از اعتیاد خودش به موادّ مخدّر بوده.
Srividya
I am always on the lookout for books from different genres, written by different authors and usually manage to find some good ones from everyone’s shelf. With King, I simply loved the first two books, namely, The Shining and The Green Mile. However, this one was a drastically different experience. To say that I didn’t like it would be obvious but what’s more important is that I was alternately irritated and bored while reading the book. It had everything in terms of the premise to make it a wond ...more
Kevin Cambronero
Dec 04, 2015 Kevin Cambronero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror, stephen-king
Los depresivos se suicidan. Los psicóticos, mecidos en una cuna venenosa de su propio ego, quieren hacer el favor a todos lo que les rodean de llevárselos con ellos.

Es sorprendente la habilidad con la que King creó toda una novela con una trama tan simple. En ningún momento se me hizo pesado o aburrido, la verdad es que me atrapó de principio a fin. La historia se va haciendo más interesante conforme avanza, pero desde que comienza es excelente.

Annie Wilkes es una villana que de verdad se merece
Alice Lee
Jul 09, 2008 Alice Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
My first time ever picking up Stephen King, it was this book. And ever since then, my entire reading list was everything he's ever written, and I hailed Stephen King as my favorite author for years. Of course by now, having read most of his works, I wouldn't still say he's "the best writer ever". He's definitely produced some trash along with a few treasures. Misery is, without a question, one of the treasures.

Before Misery I had no idea that it was possible to sit at the edge of my seat, litera
Amar
Nov 29, 2015 Amar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, kindle
„Bez brige Paule , ja sam školovana medicinska sestra „
Yeah , right ...

Jako bolan roman . Svaka stranica je bolna . Bolno je što pratimo Paula koji je i fizicki i psihicki mučen . Annie je neka mješavina finoće i ludila. . Najgroznije su Paulove scene u kojima sebe krivi što mu Annie nanosi bol . Jako dobar psiho roman , gdje pratimo kako polako počinju ludit ( oboje ) .
Annie Wilkes je ja mislim najbolji i najrealniji ženski lik ( ali i zlikovca ) kojeg je King ikada stvorio .

Priča u priči je s
Jadranka

Kakav bi par iz pakla bili Džek Torens i Eni Vilks :D
Roman pisan u najboljem maniru starog, dobrog Kinga.
Odličan 5*!
Ashley
“As always, the blessed relief of starting, a feeling that was like falling into a hole filled with bright light. As always, the glum knowledge that he would not write as well as he wanted to write. As always the terror of not being able to finish, of accelerating into a brick wall. As always, the marvelous joyful nervy feeling of journey begun.”

“But characters in stories DO NOT just slip away! God takes us when He thinks it’s time and a writer is God to the people in a story. He made them up
Bonnie
Aug 30, 2011 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I haven't been here for a while (writing reviews, that is) so I didn't realize this required a (view spoiler). Also, I haven't been receiving updates until recently, so my apologies for not doing this sooner. And ~ I have a feeling I haven't used the correct format, re: spoiler alert, but I hope it will serve as sufficient warning.

No doubt there are many Stephen King fans who loved this book, but personally I am not into reading about chopping off a foot, and the
Felina
Jun 17, 2012 Felina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2009, star-5
Jenny (adultishbooks)
Jan 28, 2016 Jenny (adultishbooks) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Standing up with the most dramatic slow clap.
Jordan
Jan 21, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, I've seen the movie. Many, many times. Kathy Bates is uh-mazing, and always freaks my shit out in that movie.
The book is even freakier.

Misery is now the one and only Stephen King book I've read, and I didn't want to like it as much as I did. I always imagined King's writing to be simplistic, and even terse; such writing would make for great screenplays (and great movies (Kathy Bates!)), but not necessarily high art. I mean, how can an author THAT major actually be worth reading? #sn
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
Psychotic brain fuckery at it's very finest.

Definitely one of King's best.

If you haven't read it then you're a very dirty bird.
Ιφιγένεια
Το απόλυτο page turner ! Ο Κινγκ μπαίνει στο θέμα από την πρώτη σελίδα και ο αναγνώστης είναι αδύνατον να αφήσει το βιβλίο από τα χέρια του . Πως να ηρεμήσεις όταν ο Πολ βρίσκεται σε τόσο δύσκολη θέση ; Πως να κλείσεις το βιβλίο όταν φοβάσαι για το τι θα απογίνει ο πρωταγωνιστής στα χέρια της Άννι ;
Η Άννι Γουιλκς είναι από τους πιο creepy χαρακτήρες που έχω συναντήσει σε βιβλίο .Δεν ξέρεις πότε πως θα αντιδράσει . Εκεί που σου λέει σ'αγαπώ μπορεί να αρχίσει να σε χτυπάει με ότι βρει μπροστά της
Mariana
Jan 10, 2016 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“La verdad no es realmente más extraña que la ficción, digan lo que digan. La mayoría de las veces uno sabe exactamente cómo van a salir las cosas.”

Este libro me provocó tantas cosas que no sé por donde empezar, así que voy a escribir hasta que me parezca que estoy hablando demasiado.

Hace mucho tiempo que quiero leer este libro porque me llamaba la atención el tema de la fan loca.
Durante el transcurso de la lectura, uno siente como una especie de claustrofobia, una sensación de encierro terri
Filipa
Oct 27, 2014 Filipa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando pegamos num livro, abrimos a porta para o cérebro de um escritor e, lemos a sua vívida imaginação... mas... nesse entretanto, não será também essa a realidade do mesmo?

Ao percorrer galopantemente as páginas deste magnífico, terrífico, thriller, conhecendo os recantos mais obscuros duma vilã sem defeitos, chego ao fim e só uma pergunta continua insistente no meu próprio cérebro... uma dúvida que me assolou quase desde o início, principalmente por causa das duas simples frases com que o liv
Donna
Jan 12, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I saw this movie years ago but I had never read the book. So when I saw it at the library, I picked it up and I have to say, I loved this book for many reasons. It was a page turner. First I loved the writing. Stephen King nailed the terror and suffering and even the psycho role. His use of words in the descriptive strokes felt like perfection.

I could completely see Kathy Bates as Annie. I was surprised at how much more graphic the book was than the movie. I has expecting a sledge hammer, but t
❀Julie
Nov 06, 2015 ❀Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audiobook
This was a fantastic audiobook. The recurring musical interludes gave me a chill each time I heard them unexpectedly. The book is much more gruesome than the movie, and reminded me why I never forgot that chilling portrayal of Annie Wilkes!
Hanna
Great psychopath, great characters and EXCELLENT writing style! Although I didn't find it a bit scary, it was incredibly entertaining. Joy joy joy!
Stephen King Fans: Misery 155 615 Jun 19, 2016 04:35PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Misery By Stephen King - Starting January 18th 2016 11 22 Jan 19, 2016 06:42AM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 5 Dec 22, 2015 07:16AM
  • Dead Sea
  • Suffer the Children
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Revelation
More about Stephen King...

56 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Writers remember everything...especially the hurts. Strip a writer to the buff, point to the scars, and he'll tell you the story of each small one. From the big ones you get novels. A little talent is a nice thing to have if you want to be a writer, but the only real requirement is the ability to remember the story of every scar.
Art consists of the persistence of memory.”
111 likes