Start by marking “Judgment of the Grave” as Want to Read:
Judgment of the Grave

Judgment of the Grave (Sweeney St. George #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  23 reviews
GRAVESTONE EXPERT SWEENEY ST. GEORGE'S latest adventure finds her in historic Concord, Massachusetts, investigating a confusing and grisly murder. When the body of an unidentified man dressed in the uniform of an 18th century British soldier is found in the Concord woods, Sweeney can't help but want to know more. Soon, with the help of a young boy who has secrets of his ow ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Judgment of the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgment of the Grave

Robyn
Why do mystery writers believe their female characters need at least a dozen love interests? I don't know about you, but I just don't meet that many people I find attractive in the normal course of things. Aren't there potentially more interesting questions in a story than whether or not two people are going to have sex or fall in love, or is that just me?
Barbara
Book Review_Judgment of the Grave

I think these books are well written. The mysteries are complex, intriguing and the author offers insight into the characters as perspective changes among the major characters in the book. While Sweeney does get involved in solving the mystery, she is usually brought in because of her expertise. Since her work often involve her researching aspects of funerary art, so she just get a bit carried away sometimes and can’t stop researching when she is consulted.

At lea
Becky Rippel
Number 3 in the series of Sweeney St. George, gravestone expert and Harvard art historian. I had a friend who wrote her master's thesis on gravestone history and I find the subject very interesting! Sweeney has come to Concord, MA to study the works of an 18th century stonecutter. In a Revolutionary War area of a cemetery, she meets Pres Whiting a young boy who tells her about a reenactment taking place nearby. On their way out, they find a body in a Revolutionary War uniform.
Mark Baker
Sweeney's interest in grave art leads her to Josiah Whiting, a gravestone carver from the Revolutionary War. But a researcher who was looking into Josiah goes missing. What could Josiah's secret be? Another good story with characters I like. Well, most of them anyway. I still haven't warmed up to Tim Quinn.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Martha
Morwen
Gleich vorneweg: mir hat das Buch wirklich gut gefallen - vermutlich aus dem gleichen Grund, warum es manchen nicht so gut gefällt. Die Autorin konstruiert den Fall sehr sorgfältig um die amerikanische Unabhängigkeitsbewegung des 18. JH. herum, und nimmt sich ebenso sehr viel Zeit, die einzelnen Akteure zu charakterisieren: kaputte Ehen, alleinerziehende Polizisten, krebskranke Kinder. Für viele Leser hätte man diese Teile sicher rigoros kürzen können, und stattdessen den Kriminalfall schneller ...more
Terry
Sweeney St. George's latest adventure finds her in historic Concord, Massachusetts, investigating a confusing and grisly murder. When the body of an unidentified man dressed in the uniform of an 18th century British soldier is found in the Concord woods, Sweeney can't help but want to know more. Soon, with the help of a young boy who has secrets of his own, she's looking into the 230-year-old disappearance of a local stonecutter who was one of Concord's famous Minutemen. But when her sleuthing c ...more
Jenn Estepp
the third sweeney st. george mystery. they're decent darker cozies, although not as strong as some of the more literary books that i think they're akin.

for the most part, things that bugged me in the first two books have been pared down. that said, sweeney acts really stupidly at the end, and that kind of pissed me off. and there's melodramatic bits that you can see coming for miles and miles. that being said, i'll totally read the fourth and maybe keep an eye out for ones that come out in the
Metagion
I really loved this book EXCLUSIVELY for this reason: the character Sweeney St. George is a taphophile (someone that enjoys cemeteries) and this book highlighted the lore and the background of one of the premier stone cutters of the 1700s. Other than that, it's one of those "boilerplate" mysteries that was really good, but a little too "off track" for me (in other words there was some stuff they could've left out and it still would've been good) but a great read.
P.J. Coldren
Nov 03, 2008 P.J. Coldren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical & contemporary mystery, particularly if combined
Recommended to P.J. by: haven't the foggiest, it's been on my TBR shelf for ages
An enjoyable blend of historical mystery combined with contemporary mystery. I particularly relished the depiction of Sweeney St. George and her relationships with the various men in this book; sometimes it's difficult to remember, at least in fiction, that one woman can have many men in her life and not be sure at any given time which man is "right" for her. I'll be looking for others in this series.
Patty
I think I enjoyed this book mostly because of its setting in Concord, Massachusetts. I visited Concord last year for the Patriots' Day re-enactment and this story brought it all back. I also found the descriptions of old New England gravestones to be very interesting. Sweeney St George is an off-beat and unusual character, and I learn something new with each installment of this series.
Sandy
I enjoyed this book more than I expected. I have read out almost every author I am following at my branch library, so I decided to start some new (to me) authors, making sure I chose some with several books to their credit. This looked "cute". I am happy to say that it was more interesting than cute. Enjoyed the characters.
Ruth
Another very satisfying mystery from Sarah Stewart Taylor. The setting and the characters were very well done -- the resolution, not so much, in my opinion. I find the main character so appealing though, and the romantic sideplots so nicely handled (as usual), that the randomness of the main plot is easily overlooked.
Kate Rice
I think this is a sweet mystery series -- of the "cozy" persuasion. The writing is solid and Sarah Stewart Taylor really brings her settings to life. I love that the protagonist is something different than the typical police detective. I'm going to read the rest of the series.
Judy
Great story about an art historian who specializes in tombstones and is visiting Concord, MA, studying a questionable revolutionary war hero when 2 murders occur. She aids police in finding and interpreting clues, some of which are hundreds of years old.
Julie Golding Page
This series gets better with each subsequent entry. I enjoyed this mystery very much and found the characters compelling and increasingly interesting. I'm especially curious to see what happens in the future between Sweeney and Detective Tim Quinn.
Arlene Allen
Wonderful, deep characters, intricate plotting, wonderful descriptions and historical tidbits made this a satisfying read. I look forward to more in the series. I wish only that there had been more on the art of tombstone carving.
Eliza
Apr 29, 2010 Eliza rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This was a cute little mystery, but not so great I'd want to read the whole series. Unfortunately, without investing in the whole series, the character development comes off a little haphazard.
Kirsti
This murder mystery set in Concord, MA was a fun read for a dark and stormy night.
Hapzydeco
Good story line. Numerous sub plots. Reminds me of Murder She Wrote.
Janice
Best book of the Sweeney St. George series to date!
Annette Meier
Good mystery and characters - lots of twists and turns
Lucy
Good read.
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Christopher Everest
Christopher Everest marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Cdorgs
Cdorgs marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)
  • Children of the Street
  • Shell Game (Professor Simon Shaw, #5)
  • Kill My Darling (Bill Slider, #14)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • A False Dawn
  • Pursuit and Persuasion (Ben Reese, #3)
  • Glass Dragons
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott, #2)
  • Killer Ambition (Rachel Knight, #3)
  • A Dark and Lonely Place
  • Once Upon a Time (She Said)
  • Deadly Virtues
  • The Greenstone Grail (The Sangreal Trilogy, #1)
  • Eyes of Justice (Triple Threat, #4)
  • The Risk of Darkness (Simon Serrailler, #3)
202386
Sarah Stewart Taylor was born in 1971 on Long Island, New York and was educated at Middlebury College and Trinity College, Dublin. Her first novel, O' Artful Death (2003) was nominated for an Agatha Award. In addition to writing mystery novels, she teaches at the Center for Cartoon Studies. She lives with her husband and young son on a farm in Vermont.
More about Sarah Stewart Taylor...
O' Artful Death Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean Mansions of the Dead Still as Death O' Artful Death: A Mystery (Sweeney St. George Mysteries)