Start by marking “Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)

Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  535 ratings  ·  54 reviews

Glassblower Emmeline Dowell has made a home for herself among the artists of Tucson's Warehouse District. But her friendship with troubled newcomer Allison McBride takes a dangerous turn when Allison's husband turns up dead in Em's studio.

Now Emmeline is involved in a murder investigation that reaches beyond the sunny Southwest. And when the killer acts again, it's up to

Published March 4th 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Through a Glass, Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through a Glass, Deadly

This is the group read this month for The Cozy Mystery Corner Book Club on Goodreads. Sarah Atwell is a pen name for Sheila Connolly, who writes the County Cork series, which I adore and two other series I have not tried yet, an Orchard series and a Museum series.

This series theme is glassblowing, which I admittedly know nothing about and don’t necessarily have very much interest in to be honest. In general I am not an artistic or crafty person at all, not really any talent in those kinds areas.
I've been researching cozy mysteries, trying to find one that might interest my mother-in-law who loves them. She also loves glass-blowing, so this series piqued my curiosity. The main character, Emmeline, is a glassblower and owns her own shop and studio in Tucson where she gives glassblowing classes. The thing I didn't like about this cozy mystery is that Em's behavior is completely implausible. At the beginning of the book, she meets a woman who is reserved, nervous, and seems like she is hid ...more
I have a hard time with a story that starts with the main character meeting a complete stranger & directly decides this person is a good person & treats her like a old & valued friend. Also, the inclusion of a recipe that consists of slicing hot dogs into box macaroni & cheese seems a little much.
This book had potential. And up to the last third, it was going to be a much better book than it turned out to be.

We know from certain obvious marketing tells, that this is a murder mystery. Not the least being that the back cover material tells us so. There is a body. Then the ubiquitous second body also.

There are spoilers in this review because the work warrants it.

Atwell has a few stumbling blocks in the beginning, the least of which is her mother hen attitude of the new person in her life. H
Michelle Randall
This book was so cute to read, and it was not like alot of cozy-mysteries. The main character in the book doesn't actually investigate or try to solve the mystery, she just happens to be thrown into times and places that help her to understand what is going on and help her to help the police chief come to the conclusion.

Em is the main character, and she is a glass-blowing artist in Tuscon. She has a habit of taking in strays, which is how she happens to have two dogs, with very short legs in an
This is the first in a series of cozy mysteries about glassblowing and is set in Tucson. Em is an artist and small business owner who supports herself through her shop and by teaching glassblowing. She lives above her workshop and retail store and has two small dogs. Her life becomes complicated when she meets Allison, an Irish girl who has recently moved to Tucson and is interested in glass, but is down on her luck financially. Em offers for her to come watch a class and possibly work for her t ...more
Aug 08, 2010 Hattie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Y
Through a Glass, Deadly by Sarah Atwell

"Through a Glass, Deadly" by Sarah Atwell takes place in Tucson, Arizona. Emmeline is a glassblower. She owns a shop where she shapes glass and makes time to give classes. In her shop wanders the strangest people whether dead or alive. For awhile there isn't time to give glass blowing classes. Emmeline finds herself being interviewed time and time again by the police and the FBI. It's very uncomfortable being asked questions by Matt, the police chief. He us
Normally I would give a summary in my own words on the book and then my thoughts on it...I just can't do that with this book. Why you may wonder? Well, this book was so incredibly simplistic in its plot and how we came from the murder to the solving of the crime, I just can't do it. This book was an okay read, but it was not one that I loved at all, nor did I come to absolutely love any part of it. I liked the a point. I liked the concept of the plot. I liked that there was some ...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: "Nessa? It's pretty quiet, so I think I'm going to work on that new frit technique. You can close up when you're ready to go."

Emmeline Dowell has carved a life for herself amongst the artists of Tucson's Warehouse District. Her shop, Shards, is getting more business, and so many people are signing up for her glassblowing classes that she's going to have to make time for even more. What she doesn't need is trouble, but that's what Em gets when she takes Allison McBride under her wing
This is a first in a series and it is a good one! Emmaline, known as Em, is a small business owner and artist, a glass artist to be exact.

Em teaches others to blow glass as well as makes her own glass that is for sale in her small gallery in trendy Tucson. When Allison shows up one day and wants to learn how to work the glass, Em takes her under her wing and begins a friendship with the lonely woman. Then a dead body shows up in Em's furnace and the pace of the story picks up to its fast paced c
I have noticed that there are a disturbing amount of mysteries being set in fields not traditionally associated with any amount of death or other crime- knitting, quilting, teashops, scrapbooking, advice column writers, home decoration, the DIY industry, White House chefs, and now glass blowing. I have generally avoided this genre, but I picked this up at the library, and it was a somewhat entertaining read. I now know an alternate definition for glory hole- apparently it's an opening in the fur ...more
Not a bad book but not great either. A 2 1/2 star book at most.

I don't know if it was just because it was a new series but the characters all seemed rather flat and boring. It realy wasn't until the end of the book that I was really even that interested. Not a series I will continue reading.
Oct 04, 2008 Roberta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roberta by: Gail Staples
This is a lively who-done-it based in Tucson, with a glass blower, her shop, her dogs, students, customers, and an ex-boyfriend who is the Chief of Police. I enjoyed the dynamics of the characters. Our protagonist, Em, befriends a lonely red headed woman named Allison, originally from Ireland, who unknowingly introduces the Chicago mob into Tucson when her husband ends up dead in Em's glass blowing furnace, the "glory hole." Em's brother joins the story, and Allison's uncle Frank from Australia. ...more
I love Sarah Atwell's glassblowing murder mystery stories.
Sarah Atwell/Sheila Connolly writes from personal experience and it shows.
I have learned so much about glassblowing from reading these novels.
And the characters and stories are believable
Not a book I would have picked out myself to read but it was part of my book club reads and I ended up really enjoying this book, who knew. I will definitely be reading the rest of this series as time allows for it :) Great story, great characters, etc.
It took a while for me to get into this book, but once I did I enjoyed it. I am not sure how I feel about Matt, but I like Cam. I am curious as to what will happen with the other characters, and I plan to read more from this series, just not right away.
This book caught my eye on the new release shelf at the library. It was listed as first in a new series. I always like series books so I thought I'd try it. Being that the series is (A Glassblowing Mystery) I shouldn't have been surprised by the lengthy explanation of glassblowing in the first chapter. I almost quit reading it then because I didn't find it all that fascinating. It did get a little more interesting in the second chapter and I'm glad I finished it to the end. Long descriptions of ...more
Anne Madison
I enjoyed it, but there really weren't enough clues for the reader OR the heroine OR the cop to figure it out. Breaks the rule of introducing the killer at least 1/3 of the way through. Unseen & unnamed "bad guys" who finally reveal themselves because they want something isn't quite good enough. However, I liked the characters & will read more in the series.
I have to say I wasn't crazy about this book. While the information on glass blowing was interesting, the main character I found to be stiff and uptight. She needs to lighten up a bit and acquire a sense of humor which I feel she could easily have. Also, the interaction with the "Irish mob from Chicago" seemed laughable to me and totally unrealistic. For a reader to think that Em could take on the mob and get them to confess what they have done is laughable - just plain silly. The story line mov ...more
Katherine Decker
Great, intriguing characters. Fantastic plot full of just enough twists and turns. I find glassblowing fascinating and the facts about it were great- added to the story while not being overbearing.
Ok, I guess I could give this new writer two and a half stars. Being new, some authors may take a book or two to reach their stride. Cozies have themes these days and the main character, Emmaline owns a glass blowing shop in Tucson. She makes her own creations and teaches as well. It was fascinating to read about the process. Atwell does a good job weaving that throughout the story which is about Em finding a body in her shop (poor guy's face shoved in one of the glass furnaces...yipes!) Was loo ...more
Sarah Adamson
A fun cozy mystery book featuring glass making and blowing. Nice introduction to the skills involved with an interesting and somewhat challenging mystery story.
Loved the glass blowing stuff! The mystery was actually secondary, but good.
This is a delightful new series. I enjoyed the book from beginning to end. Although the plot may not have been completely original, there were clever twists and turns, and surprises to the end. I like the main protagonist, her relationship with her brother was endearing. There are a number of secondary characters I enjoyed meeting and the author left plenty of room for their development in future books.
Nan St.Michael
I loved this book. Ms. Atwell was brilliant with method, characters and all the glassblowing information. Interesting locations, too. Looking forward to more from this author.
This is somewhat of a typical craft related mystery with the crafty woman involved with the handsome police chief. In this case, a glass blower finds a dead man in the opening of her glass furnace. She has just befriended a nervous young woman who later turns out to be the wife of the dead man. He was involved with Chicago gangsters, and she had left him to come to Tucson.
when I say read, I mean I read as long as I could but the novel was awful. I skipped the last 80 or so pages just to get to the end. The writing was basic and the characters unbelievable. Reactions to events were not real. Unfortunately i purchased the 2nd book in the series along with this one so I must try to read it. We will see....
Em runs a glass shop in Tuscon where she meets Allison, who wants to learn from her. But when Allison's ex-husband shows up dead in Em's glass furnace, she finds herself caught up in some intense events.

I really liked Em and the supporting characters as well as how the crime played out to solution. Will definitely read more in the series
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • High Rhymes and Misdemeanors (Poetic Death Mystery, #1)
  • Grace Under Pressure (A Manor House Mystery, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
A pseudonym used by Sheila Connolly.
As Sarah Atwell, author of the new Berkley Prime Crime Glassblower Series, in March 2008. The first sequel, Pane of Death, will be published in November 2008.

Under Sheila Connolly, One Bad Apple, Berkley Prime Crime, came out in August 2008."
More about Sarah Atwell...

A Glassblowing Mystery (3 books)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • Snake in the Glass (A Glassblowing Mystery, #3)