Start by marking “Good Catholic Girls: How Women Are Leading the Fight to Change the Church” as Want to Read:
Good Catholic Girls: How Women Are Leading the Fight to Change the Church

Good Catholic Girls: How Women Are Leading the Fight to Change the Church

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The widely exposed transgressions of priests within the Catholic Church stunned the faithful and sent a new surge of energy through the progressive church reform movement in the United States. Despite the movement's growing profile, the world has only recently learned that Catholic women are the driving force behind reform. Good Catholic Girls is a lively account of these ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Good Catholic Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Catholic Girls

Amc
Apr 07, 2009 Amc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to begin. I'm not sure I've ever teetered between anger, desolation and longing so much as I have in the few weeks it took me to get through this book. Covering nearly every issue affecting Roman Catholic women today from abortion to sex to women's ordination, I finished this book furious at the institution I already struggle with, even less fond of the male magisterium and wondering where I fit into it all. The book affirmed what I had already experienced, namely that it ...more
Mary Johnson
May 23, 2010 Mary Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angela Bonavoglia introduced me to many good women in the Church, and for this I am grateful. Her passionate story moved me at times to tears, at other times to anger.

Bonavoglia makes her biases known from the beginning--she is a woman determined to stay in the Church, and desiring progressive reform. She is a journalist who knew that her experience while gathering this information was as important to this book as the experiences of those about whom she wrote, and I enjoyed meeting her and the o
Marie
Jan 27, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read just one book about women and inequality in the Catholic Church, this is the one.
We don't get spiritual recognition, sacramental authority, administrative power, or doctrinal influence, but the church is very willing to use the labor of women.
Francine
Nov 10, 2012 Francine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is affirming...I haven't been living under a rock and I know most of the major players (by name) in this struggle. It was challenging to be reminded of the power struggle that is in the face of our professed women religious and the challenges faced by our most progressive bishops.

I took this book (filled with post-it flags) to a discussion with my spiritual advisor this week. It was a great book and now I have to return it to the library...I'll be buying a copy!

The work goes on...
Linda Eshelman
Oct 28, 2013 Linda Eshelman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't agree with all of the points in this book, it is well written and informative. I like the fact that it backs up its data with names and dates. I think that this book needed to be written.

Sara
Aug 18, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Me and Catholicism have a complicated relationship. I agree with some, but not all of the reforms this books suggests. I may make a more involved post about this one at some point
Tracy
Oct 06, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, religious
Lots of information, names and dates to follow, but very interesting. Somehow discouraging and encouraging at the same time, and completely thought-provoking at the least.
Deirdre
Aug 28, 2007 Deirdre marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
eh, i was angry in the bookstore
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Patricia Watts
Patricia Watts marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Cathy Jaskey
Cathy Jaskey rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Kellie
Kellie rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Katie Pagan
Katie Pagan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Jane Smith
Jane Smith rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Button
Button is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Domenica
Domenica marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Maureen Wagner
Maureen Wagner marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014