Start by marking “The Killer” as Want to Read:
The Killer

The Killer (Victor the Assassin #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  3,149 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
The hunter has become the hunted

Victor is a freelancer, a professional, a killer---the best there is. He's ice cold, methodical, and deadly. He lives alone. He operates alone. No one knows his background, or even his name. For him, business is a straight transaction. He's given a job; he takes out the target; he gets paid.

He's in Paris to perform a standard kill and collec
Published April 13th 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Killer, please sign up.

Gesbon Gakuo He is a paid assassin, but he takes contracts for people with a dubious background. It is left to the reader to judge for him/herself is he's the hero…moreHe is a paid assassin, but he takes contracts for people with a dubious background. It is left to the reader to judge for him/herself is he's the hero or the villain.(less)

Alex is The Romance Fox
The Hunter is the debut book and the 1st in Tom Wood's Victor the Assassin Series.

The series revolves around Victor, a ruthless and deadly but actually rather a nice guy who just happens to kill people for money......a freelance assassin, with no past and no home, a loner - the total antihero hitman.

Carrying out his latest assignment in Paris, he finds himself being chased across Europe by killers who have been assigned to take him out.

Pursued by enemies............CIA, Russian SVR, MI6, French
Sean Peters
Nov 19, 2014 Sean Peters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victor is an assassin at the top of his game. After an all too simple job in Paris, a hit-squad is sent to kill Victor but the only man who knows where he is, sent him to Paris in the first place. Betrayed and out in the open, Victor has turned from the hunter into the hunted for the first time in his life. Running across Europe, he desperately tries to unravel the conspiracy against him, but how high does the rot go? Will he manage to survive long enough to piece together the big picture? Time ...more
Hayat
Since July 2015 I've read this book three times! It definitely deserves to be bumped up from 4 to 5 stars!

The first book in the Victor the Assassin series The Hunter a.k.a The Killer is a fantastic thriller full of action, death, intrigue enough to keep you hooked until the last page. I'm addicted to this series.

RTC
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Jan 02, 2015 Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thriller novels
Published: 12/05/2011
Author: Tom Wood

Wow..I thought that this was a really amazing book and just my type, my brother-in-law lent me this book as I love these kind of books, I hadn't read a book by Tom Wood before but would definately read all of his books! It featured the amazing Victor, who even though he is an assassin he is definately my favourite character! It is a fast paced and unpredictable book with plenty of twists and turns, just when you think you know what is going to happen next it
Barbara Elsborg
Jan 15, 2013 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost 5 stars. I really enjoyed this. I can't remember when I last read a book with so much action - well written action. The pace was fast and furious, it was really hard to put down. In fact, I didn't last night and kept reading until I'd finished it. It had an - oh no, don't do that - moment but I'd sort of seen it coming.
Victor - what a great name - though it likely isn't his, is an assassin. A very good one but not infalliable. The story starts with an amazing altercation between Victor a
Liz Barnsley
Dec 24, 2013 Liz Barnsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meet Victor. He’s an assassin – a man with no past and no surname. But when a Paris job goes spectacularly wrong, Victor finds himself running for his life across four continents, accompanied by a woman too beautiful to trust, pursued by enemies too powerful to escape.

Well, talk about a rollercoaster ride. A sheer thrill of a read with fast paced action that does not compromise on character development or plot and is truly edge of the seat stuff.

I’m a bit funny when it comes to reading Thrillers
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 19, 2014 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, thriller
This was to me a surprisingly good and addictive read. The author takes what might have been a sort of "been there done that" action adventure and turned it into a thoughtful interesting read with some pretty original twists...

And saying it has a couple of fairly original twists is a big deal in what is at heart a political techno type thriller. I was at least mildly surprised on one occasion which doesn't happen all that often any more.

We start out with the story of a professional killer (he ha
Jacob Peled
Dec 31, 2013 Jacob Peled rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars, _2014
As I started the book, I was sure it's going to be yet another 5 star book (to my taste). Tom Wood definitely knows how to write a vivid livable story. When describing something, you actually get all details in all angels as if you are there.
Well, it starts with a multiple killing, which was described very vividly. But… As the story tag along, you realized that we are dealing here with a Super – Duper Hero. It is getting to a point where it becomes unbelievable. How come that someone is taking
Andrew
Oct 15, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is phenomenal. One of the best books I've read! I couldn't stop reading it. Then quickly read the rest of the Victor series. Victor is an extremely smart assassin/spy and he's very interesting to read about. You can read just four lines of this book like "wow that's really cool." This book alone turned me into an avid reader. If you haven't read this. Do yourself a favor and start it ASAP! Thank me later haha. This book is a must.
_yay_
Forget James Bond. Forget Jason Bourne. Forget Jack Bauer. Meet Victor. Truer words have never been spoken! I'd even go as far as to say it's time for John Rain (Barry Eisler) to move over. There is a new sheriff in town. Mind you, the sheriff being a freelance killer. However, make no mistake - you'll be rooting for the bad guy!

A Paris job gone wrong leaves Victor running for his life. How often have I used the words suspenseful or action-packed in a review? It must have been lots of times. So
Brenda
Nov 28, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in preparation for a Question & Answer event with the author. I wasn't thrilled with the book initially. I find long descriptions of gun and fist fights to be boring, not exciting. The more of them there are, the more boring they become. When Rebecca was introduced to the storyline, it made Victor more human and that's what clicked for me. I am a little curious what happens to Victor, but I'm not sure it's enough to continue with this series. This was an OK book, especially ...more
Perri
Jul 10, 2015 Perri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character is a elite killer for hire, so he's not your typical protagonist, but human enough you can still root for him. Taut story line and fast pace throughout..
Samuel
Sep 03, 2013 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tamara De Cubber
4,5 sterren
Janet
Jan 05, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has read crime fiction for nigh on 20 years I can honestly say this is my first foray into a proper 'action thriller' and quite a good one it is too.

Victor is an assassin. A man we never really get to know anything about, apart from a rough outline of visual characteristics, personality traits and his abilities. He's cold, hard and gives nothing away, attributes required to be a 'hitman' that can slide in and out of situations with ease. After a job goes horribly wrong in Paris,
Barry
Dec 07, 2014 Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hunter was a first class book about an assassin. Wood succeeded where so many have failed, in my experience, in creating a realistic chronicle of a portion of an international killer for hire. This was, by some margin, the best book of its sort that I have read in some time. It has certain things in common with The Day of the Jackal, perhaps the best assassin chronicle ever written, but is not quite in that five star category.

Victor is a incredibly well-trained and disciplined man. His behav
Linda
Oct 23, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-only
I'm usually a sucker for a good killer-for-hire story. And Rob Shapiro's narration on the audio book was great, one of the reasons I bought it after listening to the sample.

I just didn't care for the writing style. Hard for me to explain, but it felt like he overexplained everything. He wanted to make it very clear each point he wanted to make, whether it was Victor's remarkable skills and lack of emotional connection, or that his contempt for another character was evolving into something differ
Bill
this is one of the best thrillers I've ever read. pretty well non-stop action for over 500 pages. outstanding! can't wait to read the next one!
Reen
Jan 25, 2017 Reen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Killer (aka The Hunter for the UK version) is the first book in the Victor the Assassin series. Victor is a man without a name, a past or an identity which makes him a perfect elite assassin. Victor is sent to Paris to complete an easy job and when it ends spectacularly bad way, he realizes he has also become a target and the hunter becomes the prey. Victor joins forces with his handler, Rachel, who finds herself being set up as well and the two of them run across Europe, Russia, and Cyprus ...more
Ojo
Jan 04, 2017 Ojo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It isn't everyday you fly through a book with this kind of speed. If there's one word to describe this book, it would be fast-paced. I've never read a more fast-paced book in my entire life.

It's a fantastic story, an expert assassin gets entangled with higher powers after taking out a contract and is forced to flee... The supposed pawn in the chessboard suddenly becomes a major player. The hunter has become the hunted...
Each scene is narrated with easy precision, leaving nothing unattended to.
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
If you like fast paced thrillers that offer non-stop action, this one is for you. It takes off from the very first page and barely lets up until the end. There is negligible character development, the array of exotic backdrops all seem fairly interchangeable and the plot itself contains several well worn cliches. Nevertheless the rapid pace allows you to disregard a lot of these flaws. The book's first quarter is one of the best I've read in this genre, and while it falls away slightly after tha ...more
Jeffrey
Victor is a paid assassin. No one knows his name, no one has his picture, and no one knows where he lives. But Victor's nasty life is going to get a serious jolt after his latest job.

As the novel starts, he is finishing up a job to retrieve a computer memory stick from his latest victim, by returning to his hotel, where he discovers that someone has sent an eight man kill squad to kill him. But things do not go as planned for the kill squad and Victor makes it home, where he is again attacked.

Me
DoodlePanda
Jun 01, 2014 DoodlePanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to DoodlePanda by: Janet
This book is a prime example of why group reads are so great. This is not a book I would normally have picked up. The genre isn't one of my favorites - and with a huge pile of books I need to read I don't normally read books if they aren't in my favorite genres.

Then there was group read. I thought I'd give it a go, the story sounded promising.

And I am so glad I did!!

This is a story that is well written and with loads of action! The author has described the scenes really well, while still keeping
David Dalton
I had put off reading this thriller for a few years. Something I know regret. I really enjoyed reading this thriller. I liked the characters, both the "good" assassin (Victor) and the "bad" assassin (Reed). Plenty of action and spy-craft. A good plot, characters, and tons of bad guys.

The mano vs mano fight scene at the end was worth the price of admission alone. If you like Jason Bourne or Will Robie (which I certainly do) then you will enjoy this story as well.

I already have two more Victor boo
Robert Intriago
Dec 14, 2013 Robert Intriago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, 2014
A fast paced action book. Kind of a throwback to the Bourne and Bond books. The main plot involves a hired assassin who finds himself in the receiving end of a plot to get rid of him. The author's knowledge of intelligence agencies inner workings and weaponry systems is excellent. Some of the action is a little beyond believable but then that's what makes it fiction. There are several subplots that are as interesting as the main one. I plan to read his next book.
Kris
Feb 12, 2016 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victor is a bad guy or a good guy.... Or a bad guy that you will like, unless you don't like bad guys.

Jack Reacher and Jason Bourne walk into a bar. Jack swaps coffee for tequila and Jason trades amnesia for a one night stand. Nine months later Victor is born with dragonfly like reflexes and flamingo like senses.
Rachel Amphlett
Dec 31, 2012 Rachel Amphlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to what I've heard is a fantastic series.

There were a few moments where I felt the detail intruded on the story a little too much, however this didn't detract from what is, essentially, an awesome read.
Jim A
Jan 26, 2013 Jim A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those books were the potential purchaser needs to be careful.

The Killer, by Tom Wood, is the same book as The Hunter (UK title), also written by Tom Wood. The Killer, written by Tom Hinshelwood is again the same book.
Maryann Bosah
Aug 11, 2015 Maryann Bosah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
action packed
Jim
Feb 11, 2017 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spannend, net alsof je het echt beleefde! Een echt mannenboek vind ik. Massa's geweld, bloed, spionage en huurmoordenaars! Ik zie het zo al als film in de cinema verschijnen! Één woord : gewéldig!!!!!!!!!
Victor VS Courtland Gentry. Who Is The Competent Killer? 2 21 Jul 14, 2016 01:19AM
The Orion Team. : The Killer Ascendant 6 20 Feb 24, 2014 09:38PM
  • The Accident Man (Samuel Carver, #1)
  • On Target (The Gray Man #2)
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • Ghosts (John Milton #4)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
  • Chimera: A Jim Chapel Mission (Jim Chapel, #1)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • Siege
  • Columbus (Silver Bear, #2)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
5212055
Tom was born in Burton Upon Trent in Staffordshire, England, and now lives in London.

He is the author of THE HUNTER, BAD LUCK IN BERLIN and THE ENEMY.

Tom's books are known by different titles in some countries so please be careful when purchasing.
More about Tom Wood...

Victor the Assassin (7 books)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin #2)
  • The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • Better Off Dead (Victor the Assassin, #4)
  • The Darkest Day (Victor the Assassin, #5)
  • A Time To Die (Victor the Assassin #6)
  • The Final Hour (Victor the Assassin #7)

“Victor waited until Ozols had passed out of the light before squeezing the trigger with smooth, even pressure. Suppressed gunshots interrupted the early morning stillness. Ozols was hit in the sternum, twice in rapid succession. The bullets were low powered, subsonic 5.7 mm, but larger rounds could have been no more fatal. Copper-encased lead tore through skin, bone, and heart before lodging side by side between vertebrae. Ozols collapsed backward, hitting the ground with a dull thud, arms outstretched, head rolling to one side. Victor melted out of the darkness and took a measured step forward. He angled the FN Five-seveN and put a bullet through Ozols’s temple. He was already dead, but in Victor’s opinion there was no such thing as overkill.” 3 likes
“They were all dressed in suits, long coats, carrying briefcases. City drones on their way to service the hive.” 1 likes