Start by marking “Up & Out” as Want to Read:
Up & Out

Up & Out

How long does it take to go from It Girl to on the dole?

TV producer Rebecca Cole has seen better days. Like the day her cartoon creation, Esme, made her a hit and scored her a promotion. That was a good day. But now that her roommate has decided to heed her therapist and appreciate the simpler things in life -- outside of New York City -- and a corporate takeover at her n

Published December 1st 2003 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Up & Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up & Out

Elusive
Jan 13, 2015 Elusive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
‘Up and Out’ is about Rebecca Cole, a television producer who created a cartoon character Esme targeted at kids. Her success and promotion are somewhat short-lived after a bank buys her company and she is ordered around by a new wicked boss. Meanwhile, she is still confused about her feelings towards her ex-boyfriend Tommy and has to deal with the changes in her friendship with her three close friends.

I began reading this book with low expectations, hence it turned out to be a very pleasant surp
Emily
Aug 09, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
Sherri Hunter
This is my first Ariella Papa book and I have two additional Red Dress Ink titles by this author buried in my to be read pile.

Up & Out centers around a young woman named Rebecca, whose life is made up of working at a television network, eating out at as many restaurants as her wallet will allow her and the occasional sexual encounter with her ex boyfriend. Rebecca's life takes a sudden and unexpected turn when she is terminated from her job after the network is taken over by a bank. Left to
ReaderMT
Feb 22, 2015 ReaderMT rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
***** 1.5 stars *****
For the first time in forever... I did not finish a book. I am ashamed to say since I pride myself on being able to get through a book no matter what. I read, put it down, stepped away, came back and I just couldn't do it. I will attribute it to the fact that I was reading this book at the same time I was reading another author's book who belonged to the same publishing company and obviously had the same editor. There is only so much twenty somethings living in New York, see
This is the sort of book I would have loved 10 years ago. Now, though, it struck me as too shallow and hollow. I had a lot of problems with the story and the author's style of writing. There was little in the way of descriptive sentences unless it was an inanely cliched description of restaurant food, as the protagonist is a "foodie". (Man, I hate that word.) There are some serious problems in her circle of girlfriends and much page space is spent talking about how they've drifted apart and thin ...more
Leeankh
Jul 09, 2010 Leeankh rated it liked it
I liked this book well enough, but I would have liked it more a few years ago. Just a few years ago, I would have been able to really identify with the main character and her situation. I've been through that time when your friendships can get weird and I know how it feels to think they are all falling apart. But, I wouldn't say I'm still in that place, so the book didn't hit me the same way it would have if I had read it sooner. If you are in that place, that quarter-life crisis time, then this ...more
Kathleen
Aug 27, 2007 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my attempt to try something totally different from the usual heady non-fiction that I always read. I have to say, it's not bad! I don't know why I didn't think about reading books like this before, considering I read Perez Hilton and I love shit like the "The Hills" and "America's Next Top Model" and all those other reality fluff shows.
My one beef is that I don't feel Beth's character was developed enough. The whole subplot of her obviously having a drug problem was annoying because it w
Doreen
Nov 02, 2011 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Ariella Papa's On the Verge 5 years ago and I really liked it. After not reading any Ariella Papa books again until the past three months, I've been pretty disappointed by the rest of her work. The characters are okay, but the story line didn't really grab me, and we never got a full explanation about what was going on with one of the protagonists best friends. (It was implied, but I think it would have been much better if it had actually been confronted.)
Dawn
Nov 24, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book with likeable characters. The story takes a look at what it means to be a 'grown up' and the choices we make, as well as the events that shape who we are.

Another pleasant read from Ariella Papa. She really gets it 'right' and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work (next up Bundle of Joy?).
S.C. Wynne
Dec 24, 2014 S.C. Wynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was very clever and witty. I found her relationship with Tommy, moving and poignant. It had me laughing out loud many times and over all I just really enjoyed the story. It stuck with me.
Arielle
I picked it up because I'm on a Roald Dahl kick (and "Up and Out" reminded me of "The Great Glass Elevator") -- decent chick-lit, though not great. Don't run out and get it, but if you want an quick, amusing read, it's fine.
Dixie Bowman
Jun 04, 2015 Dixie Bowman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was soooooo slow.. I actually thought about not finishing it. The author never really developed her characters. I kept thinking she'd let us know what was going on with Beth, but she never did. I won't be reading any more books by this author.
Kim
Jan 17, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. I liked the main character and could really identify with certain things she was going through. I liked that it was about both love and friendships and I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little teary eyed at the very end. Fantastic.
Kristen
Aug 23, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really into this one, but it may be because I can relate to this main character - we don't have that much in common, but we are very close in age, and going through a lot of the same "life changes."
Taneeta
I come back to this book again and again when I want a light read with amazing food descriptions :D
Mary
Sep 22, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I was looking for something light and I found it. The characters were all very likeable and you were really rooting for everyone to find some happiness.
Aimee
Dec 26, 2007 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a light read. I thought it was good entertainment.
Melanie
Oct 28, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Up & Out (Red Dress Ink) by Ariella Papa (2003)
Charity
Much better than Papa's first book, On the Verge. I hadn't been overly impressed with Papa, but this book has really changed my mind. Great characters and a cute, quick story.
Katie White
Jul 14, 2009 Katie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was acctually enjoyable and i liked reading it
Katie
Katie rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2013
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2017
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Angela Albisser
Angela Albisser rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Lilly
Lilly rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2009
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Alexandria
Alexandria rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2007
Kenia
Kenia rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
  • My Life Uncovered
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • It's Not You, It's Me
  • Mafia Chic (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Speechless
  • Summer in the Land of Skin
  • Losing It
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Tailspin (Uniformly Hot!, #19)
  • Tallulahland