Nowhere, Carolina

Nowhere, Carolina (Southern Discomfort #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Maggie Pickwick is a lifetime away from her days as head cheerleader and the mistakes she made in high school. Twelve years later, this single mom has traded pompoms for an auctioneer’s gavel, popularity for peace and quiet, and strives to be a good example for her daughter Devyn. She’s keeping it together just fine, too—until an old flame moves back to her little North Ca...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Multnomah Books (first published 2010)

Rel
Nothing brings me more delight than to pick up a brand new Tamara Leigh novel because I know that in the pages I will find enchanting characters, a meaningful story with an uplifting message and Tamara's distinctive and intelligent humour. Nowhere, Carolina steps it up a notch with Maggie struggling to make amends for her wild and defiant youth, determined to prove she is now a responsible mother and member of the Pickwick community. The return of her high school sweetheart, Reece Thorpe brings...more
Denise
This book follows on the heels of her previous book, “Leaving Carolina”, which I also read. Each book, however, stands on its own. I became a serious Tamara Leigh fan after reading her award winning “Splitting Harriet” as well as “Faking Grace” (one of my all time favorite books.

I cannot make it through a Tamara Leigh book without several out loud laughs. If there were an award for author I’d most like to live next door to, I’m thinking Tamara would be my winner. She is just hilarious.....so cle...more
Courtney
I just finished book one in the series and immediately started on book two, Nowhere Carolina. Nowhere Carolina is about Piper’s cousin Maggie and her daughter Devyn. Maggie became a mom right after her high school graduation and is struggling to raise her pre-teen daughter especially sense Devyn is starting to ask who her daddy is. Maggie is worried the past is going to come bite her in the tooshy when her old flame Reece shows up in town to help Uncle Obe build the sculpture.

Nowhere Carolina wa...more
Cathleen
I always enjoy Leigh's books, but it seems that I can't quite enjoy them as much as I used to. Her heroines try hard, make mistakes, and (as the publisher now touts) are "girls I can relate to". I appreciate the humor and the variety of interesting characters. What makes me impatient is the way that the women seem determined to take the least direct route possible to resolve difficulties. The author may have decided that it makes for a more entertaining story this way, but I can't help but feel...more
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
First reviewed here: http://overweight-bookshelf.blogspot....

This is an outlandish Southern comedic-drama that is penned in Tamara Leigh's signature first-person narrative that will have you chortling in a most unladylike way. Uncle Obe (who is my favourite character in this Souther Discomfort series) is up to his usual not-so-subtle matchmaking that places Maggie in a precarious position with her daughter and her former high school sweetheart.

The message of this story is that your past does no...more
Margaret
May 28, 2010 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Margaret by: reading book #1
Leaving Carolina: A Novel was my first real introduction to author Tamara Leigh and I was left eagerly awaiting the second in the series Nowhere, Carolina: A Novel. Now having finished this book I cannot wait for the next adventure in the Pickwick cousin's lives with Bridget's story, coming 2011.

Once again I giggled and in a feminine way I declare I chuckled. Maggie Pickwick is a grown up moving each day beyond what she once was and in a humiliatingly humorous fashion she attempts to be the goo...more
Tanx
I started on this right after finishing Book 1, the Pickwicks are such interesting characters that I simply wanted to know more of them ;)

Just as I thought I couldn't love any Pickwicks more than I love Piper, here comes Maggie! She is inspirational, despite her colourful past, I admire her faith & determination to not ensnare herself again in the mistakes she has made.

Now... if only there is more of Devyn at the end, the story would have a more satisfying finish.
Peppa
This really wasn't my favorite book. I was a little hesitant to begin with just because of the cover but was trying to give it the benefit of doubt. It seemed as though the author was trying to create drama for the main female character and the more she tried, the more strained it became. The character just wasn't believable and she continued to try the hardest methods to get out of the mess she created. This was a slow read as I just couldn't engage in the story.
Virginia
Good solid Chick Lit. I don't normally like first person but it seemed to fit this book. With first person I never feel like a know the other characters. The character of Devyn comes thru but not so much with Reece. By the end of the book I was ambivalent about him and I think with more of his point of view this might not have happened.
Bobbie O'keefe
What did I think of this book? Delightful. Tamara Leigh surprises me in two ways. I usually don't care for first person narrative, but she makes it work. And never before have I read a book in present tense that I liked. But this one I not only liked--I heartily recommend it. Having made some bad choices earlier in her life, Maggie is vulnerable, likable, grown up and, more important, still growing. Tamara Leigh does an excellent job developing her characters. I especially liked a particular sce...more
Candice
I love a character who's flawed because, face it, we all are. And Maggie has certainly made her share of mistakes. But what matters is that we learn from our mistakes, and Maggie does an excellent job of that also. Or does she? Her tangled web of past deceits is very sticky. Can a blast from her past untangle her mess for a happily-ever-after in the middle of Nowhere?
Suzie
This is the second Tamara Leigh's Carolina series. Maggie Pickwick was the typical mean girl in high school. Her popularity was more important than her kindness and she made some bad choices.

Thirteen years later, Reece Thorpe, an ex-boyfriend is hired to recreate a statue for the town. Maggie's thirteen year old daughter wants to know more about her father but because Maggie is not sure who the father is, she goes about sneakily trying to find out.

It took a while to get to the Reece/Maggie discu...more
Just - The romance reader
I read Leaving Carolina a while back and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to learn there was a sequel. It took me a while to get a copy so I didn't remember much about the story once I started reading Nowhere, Carolina, but bits and pieces came back to me, and I loved seeing some of the characters from the first book reappear in the second and continue the story. I actually think I enjoyed Nowhere, Carolina more than Leaving Carolina, but definitely recommend reading both. The characters were...more
Sarah Smith
Enjoyed this a lot more than the first....looking forward to reading the next book!
Kathleen
In the second book of the Southern Discomfort series, the story features Piper Pickwick's cousin Maggie Pickwick and her struggle to deal with the the mistakes that she made in her teenage years, and her determination to correct them by finding her daughter's father. Maggie's journey of self discovery, self forgiveness and moving forward is an inspirational story that will touch your heart. This is a story of romance, forgiveness, redemption and freedom born of truth ... and definitely was my fa...more
Jane
I feel as though I might have gotten a little more out of the book had I read Leaving Carolina first (or at least understood the nudging sort of references), although it stood on its own just fine. I have come to really and enjoy like the way Tamara Leigh writes and sculpts (pun intended [as one of the main characters of this book was a sculptor:]) her characters.
kristiee
May 28, 2011 kristiee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are tired of heavy books, chick-lit lovers
Shelves: eassyread
At first Maggie sounds so childish it's almost annoying. In the end, though, i turn out liking it. It's hard not to be fond of Tamara Leigh's characters. Maggie, Devyn, Uncle Obe, Skippy, Reece, I seem to get to know the whole family by the end of the book and I love them.
It's a very easy read.
Taylor
Another fiction under my belt :) I loved the scripture and the way God is incorporated into a real-life situation kind of story. I actually learned a thing or two on how to be a better Christian/follower. I also loved the romance and the way Reece was portrayed.
Karol Anderson
Good book. While I don't think this is marked as a Christian book, it has alot about forgivenes, finding God and changing to be a better person. Lots of funny parts in the book. The main character does some silly things in the name of love.
I really liked this book. I enjoy Tamara Leigh's style. Her sense of humor is evident in her books. I plan to check out the other Carolina book by her even though I already know who the character will end up with since this is book two. :)
Melissa
Another great book by Tamara Leigh. Ms. Leigh has an incredible way of making you love her characters. They are human and are funny and have real life problems that are touching.

I can't wait to read the final book in the series.
Cookielover
Ever since I read Faking Grace, I've loved Tamara's novels. This one was about second chances, lies, and how powerful truth is. Warning: the main character's story is added to in the third book in the Southern Discomfort Series.
Margaret
To be honest, this is not the sort of book I usually read: Christian chick lit. But I was drawn in by the main character. The book was inspirational without being preachy and the ending was realistic. I enjoyed it.
Jackie
Truly a delightful read. I enjoyed another novel by Tamara Leigh set in the southern town of Pickwick. A Southern girl myself, I enjoyed this novel and how she captured the small southern town vibe.
Sherri Huntley
This book was fine, it is definately light reading which I am sure is what it was meant to be. It's predicatable and not something you will just dive into and read till the wee hours.
Savannah
This was a really good book. I loved her writing style and the fact that the ending left you wondering what happened next. I will definitely be reading more of Tamara Leigh's works.
Jennifer Cain
Not bad. Just ok. Inspriational without preachiness. Do not plan to read the other titles in the series. The title threw me. I really thought it would be better.
Tiffany
I didn't actually read all of this book. It was hard to like the heroine in it because she keep lying to her daughter. She had some major issues.
Krazyangel
This was a good read. I really got into the book and was hard to put down. Hope others enjoy this read as much as I did.
Saralyn
Not my favorite Tamara Leigh, but it was okay. The daughter was my favorite character.
Readers Guide 1 2 Aug 03, 2011 06:51PM
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • My Foolish Heart (Deep Haven, #4)
  • Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2)
  • Driftwood Lane (Nantucket, #4)
  • Catch a Falling Star
  • Back to Life (Trophy Wives Club, #2)
  • Single Sashimi
  • Hannah Grace (Daughters of Jacob Kane, #1)
  • Pursuit Of Justice (Call of Duty, #3)
  • A Passion Denied (Daughters of Boston, #3)
Tamara Leigh is the best-selling, award-winning author of 18 novels. She has been published with Bantam, HarperCollins, Dorchester, NavPress, and RandomHouse. Currently, she is delving into the world of digital publishing with the release of her new medieval time travel romance, Dreamspell, and her Age of Faith series that includes The Unveiling, The Yielding, and The Redeeming. Tamara and her hus...more
More about Tamara Leigh...
Splitting Harriet Faking Grace Perfecting Kate Leaving Carolina (Southern Discomfort, #1) Restless in Carolina (Southern Discomfort #3)

“In fact, if I let Him, my faith, rather than my mouth, could become my best asset.” 2 likes