The Key

The Key (Project Enterprise (Garradian Universe) #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  22 reviews
When Sara Donovan joins Project Enterprise she finds out that what doesn't kill her makes her stronger. An Air Force pilot - the best of the best to be assigned to this mission - Sara isn't afraid to travel far beyond the Milky Way on an assignment that takes her into a galaxy torn apart by a long and bitter warfare between the Dusan and the Gadi. After she's shot down and...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1998)

Kathleen
2.5 stars for this sci-fi romance (half-star lost due to typos in Kindle version). It's set in space, with the POV in third person, switching coherently from the hero to the heroine. The romance itself was sweet, but the starship battles relied too much on nearly magical levels of techno-control. I prefer more believable plots, where we win the day the old-fashioned way, by sheer cussedness and clever strategy. The Key did include the cussedness factor (especially seen in the heroine) but noth...more
Carrie
4.5* This was fun, fun, fun! I loved the characters. None of them, even the "bad guys" were stereotypical or 2-dimensional. The story was fast-moving and well-plotted. The reader is given glimpses and hints about past secrets and future revelations, but the story unfolds naturally as the book progresses. And the action was like a roller-coaster ride with slow, tension producing climbs followed by non-stop, heart-pounding descents. I felt like I was there on the ship, on the outposts and in the d...more
Natalie
Sara, the protagonist, was very disappointing. She spoke and thought like an immature teenager. I found it extremely unbelievable that she was of age to join the Air Force, let alone be a pilot (and in a world with FTL capabilities to travel other galaxies). The universe the author created was beyond what I was able to believe and the male chauvinism (supported by the protagonist many times) was also frustrating. Many times I was also taken out of the futuristic setting with current day referenc...more
Lyndi
Well, that was a good one. First, let me say that this is unnecessarily long. The author really goes into detail about a few things that just don't matter and aren't even interesting. These moments are rare, but they do pop up every now and then, making you think "Just get on with it already!" It takes a while to get going and then it just keeps going. And going. I thought the climax would be just around the corner a dozen times, but then there is another episode and you just have to strap in an...more
Lorijo Metz
For me, The Key has all the sci-fi elements I love. It's got tech and adventure; but most of all, it's got great characters. There's also humor and romance and, of course, most it takes place between humans and aliens with special abilities.

The main character in The Key is Captain Sara Donovan. We meet her after she's crash-landed on a planet and been rescued by a good-looking, though not-much-one-for-words, alien named Fyn. Sara and Fyn quickly became two of my favorite fictional characters. Sa...more
Ann Wilkes
I couldn't put this book down! Haven't read a book this good in a while. Excellent character development and unexpected plot twists. There's a certain amount of belief suspension necessary. This isn't hard SF, but rather space opera. But it was worth every minute. Look for full review at MostlyFiction: http://mostlyfiction.com/scifi/jones.....
T.K. Toppin
Had to read this to appreciate Girl Gone Nova...it's like a prequel, depending on which order you read the two books. Enjoyed it thoroughly...now I want to read more with all four characters! Kept me glued throughout the book!
Ita
I started this book and it had a lot of promise.

But I just cannot get over humans travelling to another GALAXY and they encounter human-like aliens. And these aliens IN ANOTHER GALAXY speak near-ENGLISH!! And those beings look, act, and have emotions **exactly** like humans.

OK, maybe human-like creatures were spread over a bazillion galaxies from some proto human star travelers. But to have the almost the same LANGUAGE?? Admittedly I'm not very far in, but there is no explanation. No one says "H...more
Teresa Carrigan
Space opera and romance. I cared about the characters enough to keep reading despite the inability to suspend disbelief on quite a few matters. Time appears to be pretty much present day (or possibly ten or twenty years ago), as indicated by the United States Air Force, Mounds candy bar, MREs, and a multitude of songs and movies that would be familiar to many Americans.

Somehow technology is found for intergalactic travel and the USA secretly sends multiple starships, each to a different galaxy....more
Doug
This book was given to me as a gift, so I didn’t quite know what to expect when I opened it up, but what I found wasn't too bad. It took a little while to fully grasp the setting, because the author delves right into the story she’s telling, introducing the characters that we will follow through the rest of the book quickly, and for the most part efficiently, without spending much time at all with exposition.

It’s a sci-fi novel, set in a distant galaxy that humanity has only just begun explorin...more
Sobia
I have to say I'm pretty surprised by how much I enjoyed the Key....it's definitely a lot better then other SFR attempts I've come across....the overall story kept surprising me, and it kept my attention/ interest pretty well, in spite of a few melodramatic and/ or confusing bits and the lack of alien world building (they're mentioned but only a few details are given). And I loved, loved the ending!

The romance aspect could have used some work, though I'm not sure how to explain what was missing...more
Borderstar
I haven't read anything by this author before and found this to be an enjoyable read. Adventure, space travel, romance, military strategy, a kick ass heroine and a sexy alien love interest :)

I found the story pretty interesting and different to most of the things I have read lately so it was a nice change. There was quite a lot of humour to the story too which was amusing.

I liked the strength of the heroine although it was portrayed a bit comically (and not necessarily in a good way) sometimes -...more
Lovelee
Wow. What a nice change from all pnr smex fests. Just what I was looking for and needed right about now.
I was a little worried with the 1st chapter as it was reading like a bad ya novel (choppy disconnected ) but it smoothed out a bit and by then I was hooked wanting to know where this story went. I love strong characters -definitely do not like Mary-Sue's- and Sara held strong, not falling apart like other reads. Even though Sara and Fyn's relationship was pretty much love at first sight, they...more
Gary Irwin
Tried to ignore all of the implausibilities, but just couldn't. DNF.
Sandra
Love Sarah - especially smart ass Sarah forced into a dress. I loved it when she lost her temper and when she kicked ass. While she had some pretty handy and conveient powers she was not annoyingly perfect so that is ok. Loved the relationship between Sarah & Fyn too. Can't wait to read more by this author.
Mandy
Really enjoyed this book. The main reason I read it is because she's family. When I read the back I found out it was a scifi and was thinking I probably wasn't going to love it. It surprised me I really did enjoy this book and the romance between alien and human!
Marcel
I really enjoyed reading this book. It had a good mix of action and romance. I even cared about the bad guys and wonder what will become of them, at least the ones that survived. The one thing I didn't find convincing is that everybody speaks english.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
This book grabbed me and kidnapped me the same way Gabriel's Ghost (Linnea Sinclair) did. It was a great space adventure with wars, magical technology, a bit of a love interest and an excellent story.
Maureen
Good book. Fun to read. I could wish for a little more adult romance (the romance is very YA) but still a very fun and satisfying read. If you like the tv show Stargate, you'll like this book.
Cathy Rodgers
I really enjoyed this book. Good, fun read. The plot slowed a little in a few sections - otherwise, it was really good.
AnnaM
Excellent story. The love story was really sweet. The action was fast. I already bought book 2, Girl Gone Nova.
Commentary
Too long, holes in both plot and technology that you could drive a truck through.
Charlotte
Great, wonderful, loved it, highly recommend this book
Sam Cheever
This book was very well written. I enjoyed it.
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Annelies Decaluwe
Annelies Decaluwe marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Ruth Peszynski
Ruth Peszynski marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Sarah Boyd
Sarah Boyd marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • The Down Home Zombie Blues
  • Paradise 21 (A New Dawn, #1)
  • Contact
  • Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4)
  • Wreck of the Nebula Dream
  • Morgan's Choice
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)
  • Thief (Fringe, #1)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Gratuitous Epilogue (Touchstone, #Extra)
  • The Marann
  • Driven (Northern Waste, #1)
  • Keir
Pauline Jones had a tough time with reality from the get-go. After “schooling” from four, yes FOUR brothers, she knew that some people needed love and others needed shooting. Pauline figured she could do both. Romantic suspense was the logical starting point, but there were more worlds to explore, more rules to break and minds to bend. She grabbed her pocket watch and time travel device and dove t...more
More about Pauline Baird Jones...
Girl Gone Nova Dance With Me Out of Time The Spy Who Kissed Me Falling for Willa