Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life

Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Christ's friends were utterly transformed by His resurrection. Their friendship, their work, and even their meals together took on a new meaning and purpose. The same can happen to us today.Eugene Peterson, beloved pastor, scholar, and translator of The Message, takes you back to Jesus' time so you can experience the Resurrection through the eyes of biblical witnesses. You...more
Published February 27th 2014 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published January 4th 2006)

Herbert
Peterson is so good at getting his readers to see the disconnect between the faith they know and the faith they live. In this little book his goal is to get readers to practice the resurrection life. We do this by cultivating a sense of wonder (chapter 1), partaking in resurrection meals (ch. 2), and hanging out with resurrection friends (ch. 3). This book is particularly provocative in its diatribe against the 21st-century commercialization of the Christian faith—especially Evangelicalism. The...more
Jared Totten
Living the Resurrection is just three chapters long as Peterson describes how the resurrection meets us in the three sacraments of Sabbath, communion and baptism. Though this seems a simple enough of a concept, I found myself struggling to follow the ideas and themes throughout. In fact, I didn't even realize the three central ideas of Sabbath, communion and baptism until it was explicitly stated on page 94. While is a short 123 pages, I must confess it began to feel long since it is only broken...more
Mindy Detweiler
Eugene Peterson who is know for The Message paraphrase of the Bible takes on the subject of the Resurrection of Jesus and how it should effect our everyday lives.

This was a very Short book and I felt alittle rushed in spots like the author was trying to get alot of information into the book with a small amount of space. I had to reread a few passages because I really couldn't figure out where the author was trying to go to, but after I reread it I figured it out.

All that being said I felt that...more
Jay Winters
Book Closing:
I needed a good, quick read for a group that I read with before Easter came and I had this book sitting on my shelf. I was half right, it was a quick read. It wasn't horrible, but it couldn't really be called good either.

Eugene Peterson's book "Living the Resurrection" is about living out our Resurrected lives in three ways:

Sabbath Keeping

Communing (Sacramental and ordinary)

Living out Baptismal Identity

Each of these three topics receive treatment in their own chapters, with a short...more
Zack Migioia
Excellent Book! I love Eugene Peterson's writing style and also really appreciate his heart for authenticity and for the gospel.

This book seeks to persuade the reader that the resurrection is not just a foreign concept, a theological category, or merely something that happens one day when Christ reigns. The resurrection is applied to everyday life and it causes us to live with Christ, as resurrected men and women.

Peterson addresses and handles this topic from a biblical, evangelical standpoint...more
Robert Terrell
It is a quick read. It is also a very good read. Peterson does his normal work of simple to understand depth. I haven't started his other, longer work on resurrection yet so I don't know how much crossover there is. This was a great start.
Daniel Stewart
I found this book helpful as I sought to deepen my sense of the resurrection this easter season. Peterson provides some valuable insight into how the resurrection should not only infiltrate but deeply influence our day-to-day lives (everything from work to meals). That being said, I felt as though many of the "gems" (the noteworthy points) were immersed in lengthy text and required sifting to discover. In other words, the book could probably have been even shorter and been equally effective.
Jeremy
Fantastic book. Much to provoke my thoughts about living a resurrection-formed life.
Adam Shields
Short Review: This is a prior and shorter version of Peterson's Practice Resurrection. The content isn't bad, but Practice Resurrection is a much better book. I would recommend you read that instead and if you have already read Practice Resurrection, there is not really anything new or different here. Only reason to read this is if you have not read other Peterson books and you have Amazon prime and a kindle because it is one of the prime books you can borrow from Amazon.

My full review is on my...more
David Campton
This reads more like 3 essays or lectures than a more developed and coherent book. In it Peterson argues for the place of sabbath keeping, table fellowship and the practice of baptism in our deepening fellowship with the risen Christ. It carries some of his characteristic profound and poetic insights that come from a pastor's heart wedded to a scholar's mind, but in some places the complexity of his reasoning runs counter to his appeal for less elitism and dependence upon spiritual experts in th...more
Kirk
I've read so many other things by Peterson that were just fantastic, and there is such a famine in Christian theological literature that helps us move beyond the resurrection as an apologetic talking point. So I was really looking forward to this one, but it just fell flat. I got more out of Richard Gaffin's "Resurrection and Redemption" which was decidedly dry and scholastic in nature.
Steven Lloyd
I purchased this book a couple of years ago and without realizing it, purchased a series of 3 lectures by Mr. Peterson. I later realized that the mp3 lectures make up the book "Living the Resurrection." I have listened to the mp3 version of the book 4 times to date. They contain a number of correctives in the way we should think about life. I plan to read this one again and again.
Mike Crews
This book has many good large thoughts which tend to break down the more the author goes into the details. Peterson connects Jesus' resurrection with our own spiritual formation, but in my own humble opinion his exegesis of the passages can be somewhat of a stretch. This also leaves a few of his conclusions somewhat forced and a little too ambiguous for me.
Adam Johns
A quick read and a new and needed way of looking at the Resurrection of Christ. It's more than a once a year celebration, it should be lived every day of the year!
Amy
gordon has raved about this for a long time so i'm giving it a shot.
Tim
Nice little book about sharing Christian life with others.
Wayne Larson
Aug 04, 2011 Wayne Larson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ethics
Downloaded onto my Blackberry via Kindle.
Liz
Good book, especially for Lent.
Jasonlylescampbell
About Sabboth and Resurection.
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jeff Locke
Jeff Locke marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Rielly Mclaren
Rielly Mclaren is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Justin Edgar
Justin Edgar marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He has written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary translation of t...more
More about Eugene H. Peterson...
The Message Remix (Bible in Contemporary Language) A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1) Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading (Spiritual Theology #2) The Pastor: A Memoir