Start by marking “Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin Series” as Want to Read:
Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin Series

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin Series

4.82 of 5 stars 4.82  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"The best sea story I have ever read."-Sir Francis Chichester. Patrick O'Brian's masterpiece, the Aubrey-Maturin series, follows the friendship between Captain Aubrey, R.N., and Dr. Stephen Maturin, ship's surgeon and intelligence agent, against a thrilling backdrop of the Napoleonic wars. The series consists of 20 complete and one unfinished novel, the first published in ...more
Published May 3rd 2010 by Norton, W. W. & Company, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin Series

Michaele
Yes, it's true; I have read the entire 20-book Aubrey/Maturin series, not once but five times. My husband refers to these sessions as my summers at sea. The series, including the 21st book usually not included in the sets, is far and away the best novel--because all the books comprise a single novel-- in the English language, as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately, the scope of the series is so immense that it can stand re-reading again and again, each time with new delight.
David
Aug 10, 2012 David added it
Patrick O'Brian is the bedrock for my Mount Rushmore of authors! If you enjoy reading, you will find his books worthy of your time and probably will find them as favorites.
Mitchell
For many years I had not read for pleasure, but one day I found myself in a used bookstore (probably looking for a textbook or reference book), and I randomly pulled a book from the shelf. It turned out to be book #3 of the Aubrey/Maturin series. I read the short excerpt and decided that since it had some historical value, I could learn something about that period and be entertained at the same time...win/win.

The book, and then the series captured my mind and my imagination. O'Brian takes you to
Richard Bentley
Recommended by a friend, I started without realizing it consisted of 20 volumes and part of another. A few sleepless nights, needless to say. An excellent series, and gives one an education in nautical terms, somewhat like Melville's Moby Dick does with whaling. A lot of high adventure. A good part of the series uses Lord Cochrane of the Royal Navy as role model, and takes a number of adventures from his life. I would suggest you read also the biography of Cochrane if you enjoyed these books. In ...more
Roger
So rather than try to review each book individually let me just say this is a remarkable body of work. A friend gave me Master and Commnder for my fortieth birthday and I read a couple in the series every year. I was bummed when I reached the end.

A tour de force of grand history, individual psychology and everything in between. For the right reader this can be a remarkable voyage.
Susan
Wonderful companion reading to Jane Austen's novels, especially complementary with Mansfield Park and Persuasion. Two of Austen's brothers served in HMRN concurrently with Jack Aubrey. Her brother Frank outlived her by many years and became Admiral of the Fleet.
Jasonallenross
The Aubrey/Maturin series is without a doubt some of the best fiction ever written.
Fred R
A stunning accomplishment. One day soon I'll want to read them all over again.
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Jay Still
Jay Still marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
George Michael
George Michael is currently reading it
May 05, 2015
Jessica Webster
Jessica Webster marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian
  • The Heartbreak of Aaron Burr
  • The Big Smoke
  • Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels
  • Joan of Arc: In her own words
  • Nixon and Mao: The Week That Changed the World
  • Nixon Agonistes: The Crisis of the Self-Made Man
  • Ramage's Devil (The Lord Ramage Novels, #13)
  • Patrick O'Brian's Navy
  • The Captain from Connecticut
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • Shiva 3000
Patrick O'Brian's acclaimed Aubrey/Maturin series of historical novels has been described as "a masterpiece" (David Mamet, New York Times), "addictively readable" (Patrick T. Reardon, Chicago Tribune), and "the best historical novels ever written" (Richard Snow, New York Times Book Review), which "should have been on those lists of the greatest novels of the 20th century" (George Will).

Set in the
More about Patrick O'Brian...
Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin, #1) H.M.S. Surprise (Aubrey/Maturin, #3) Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin, #2) The Mauritius Command (Aubrey/Maturin, #4) Desolation Island (Aubrey/Maturin, #5)