Start by marking “The Allotment Chef: Home-Grown Recipes and Seasonal Stories” as Want to Read:
The Allotment Chef: Home-Grown Recipes and Seasonal Stories

The Allotment Chef: Home-Grown Recipes and Seasonal Stories

Having become tired of poor-quality supermarket food and disillusioned with the dubious ethics of large corporations, Paul Merrett takes an allotment to see if he and his family can live off the fruit and vegetables they are able to grow. Along the way Paul reconnects with his grandparents' legacy of self-sufficiency and discovers the unbeatable flavor of a home-grown gree ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by HarperCollins UK (first published May 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Allotment Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Allotment Chef

Donna
Aug 27, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
This is the third book in a row that I have read about someone starting an allotment and how they fared. This one is written by a chef from London (all three have been based in London!) who decides to grow his own produce and then write a book about it with recipes using the stuff he grows.

The first half is the biography bit, the obtaining of the allotment and the trials and tribulations of clearing it, planting, getting the family involved, trying not to visit the supermarket ever again, etc.
Charlotte
Mar 17, 2013 Charlotte rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book. Really honest and down to earth stories. A family trying to start allotmenting and changing consumer habits, or the reality of making an effort.
In the past this is the kind of book I flick through, but I read every page, Paul has a great sense humor and I didn't feel it was cliched veg growing/ cooking book.
The only grind I had with the stories was that Paul was able to spend so so much time raising his plot when only some of us can dream! Which leads me nicely to say that
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Stacey Melia
Stacey Melia rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2013
Beverley Smith
Beverley Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Marc Williams
Marc Williams rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
May Panayi
May Panayi rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Kat O
Kat O rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Louisa
Louisa added it
Jul 30, 2011
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012
Dave
Dave added it
Aug 04, 2013
Caitlin Allen
Caitlin Allen is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015