Start by marking “What Is Left Over, After” as Want to Read:
What Is Left Over, After

What Is Left Over, After

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Presenting a powerful story of motherhood and loss, this novel explores the complexities of grief and disconnection—and what it takes to become connected again. Gaelle, a 30-year-old beauty editor for a fashion magazine, she is ambivalent about motherhood, and she sleeps around—not because she does not love her heart-surgeon husband Jason, but because the very fact of love ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Fremantle Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What Is Left Over, After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is Left Over, After

Karen ⊰✿
Jun 19, 2016 Karen ⊰✿ rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book you finish with a tingling sensation, a tear and a deep breath. Phew, got to the end. And I don't mean that in a bad way, it is just that the subject matter of this is HARD, but an important story to tell about an often taboo topic.
As the book opens Gaelle is very difficult to like, but as the story unravels and we discover more of her past, (her immediate past and her childhood), we join Gaelle on a journey of self discovery and forgiveness.
I received a copy of A Kiss
Louise Allan
Dec 16, 2013 Louise Allan rated it really liked it
This novel opens in Sydney, with 36-week pregnant Gaelle, a fashion photographer, about to have an emergency caesarian. It then skips ahead to a few months after the birth, and the reader sees Gaelle seeking out sexual partners, ruining her own dinner party, then unexpectedly pregnant again and seeking an abortion. Her husband Jason, a cardiothoracic surgeon, is immersed in his work and unsuspecting of Gaelle's activities. He knows something is wrong but not how to help.

Gaelle ultimately flees h
Ilyhana Kennedy
Apr 06, 2013 Ilyhana Kennedy rated it really liked it
This is an excellent novel, particularly as it comes from a relatively new writer.
As its title suggests, the book itself leaves something over in the reader's contemplation, at least in mine.
It's a story of unmothered mothering that is steeped in archetypal fantasy.
The story has very well crafted timing. The reader has no access to the reality of the main character's situation until she is able to face reality.
It's beautifully written. the young girl Selena feels like a fantasy character, very a
Martin Chambers
Nov 30, 2014 Martin Chambers rated it really liked it
This is a sad book but a good story well told. The narrative is simple to follow and in parts imaginative and eloquent. And it has no men in it. Well, the husband, Jason, and Pepe, and a man who we are told is lighting the BBQ but is really only a shadow. And a boy at the end who has no name. There are some others as well but nowhere are the men anything other than a backdrop. I found that interesting. Both, that this is how women are often depicted in novels, and, that I only noticed this on re ...more
Anisa
Sep 16, 2010 Anisa rated it really liked it
Natasha’s debut novel What is left over, after won the 2008 TAG Hungerford award. Her short stories and poems have been widely published in journals such as Overland, indigo journal and Wet Ink. She was recently awarded a Fellowship at Varuna, The Writers’ Centre.

Firstly I have to state for the record that I have never written a review, but thought I would put up a little something for this novel. I was one of the lucky ones to be present at the early book launch at the Big Sky Writers & Re
Helen McKenna
Gaelle is a 30 year old woman, married to a heart surgeon and mother of a baby girl Aurora. French by nationality she has made a life for herself in Sydney and has a fulfilling career as the beauty editor of a magazine. So what could possibly drive her to start sleeping with random men and more bizarrely board a flight for Western Australia with just the clothes on her back without bothering to tell her husband or friends?

Multi-layered and quite dark at times, What is Left Over, After explores m
Lou Grimm
May 17, 2016 Lou Grimm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: research-author
I wanted to read this book for one reason only: I did one of Natasha’s online courses and developed a huge respect for her.

So let’s be clear about this – I don’t read stories like this; about women, their babies, their haunting pasts. Twice in the first sixty pages I wanted to be done with it.

But I didn’t stop. Not because of my respect for the author, but the outstanding way in which it is written. This is an exquisite piece of art.

I also find first person narratives can be emotionally monoton
Kaili
Oct 03, 2013 Kaili rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I was fortunate enough to have done a creative writing course with Natasha Lester, otherwise I may not have discovered her books. Actually I may not have discovered many books but for her and my fellow classmates. What I loved about What is Left Over, After was its simplicity. The writing pulled you, not a dramatic cliff hanger way, but like its beach holiday town setting, which in itself is almost a character in the book, the story just keeps you wanting to turn the pages. Th ...more
Jodie
Apr 30, 2012 Jodie rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
Sometimes when I go to the library I pick a random book off the shelf. I shut my eyes and grab a book and hope for a winner. Not so lucky this time!

The story is about a woman who has given birth to a stillborn baby and the consequences of that on her and her marriage. The part that really irritated me about this novel is that the author tried to turn into some kind of mystery as to why the protagonist is acting like a dolt. I mean was it really necessary to do a big reveal at the end that their
Kath Johnston
Aug 27, 2012 Kath Johnston rated it really liked it
Powerful images, symbolism and psychology in Natasha Lester's first novel. I found reading it a bit like getting to know someone who is misunderstood. I really did not like Gaelle in the first part of the book! By the end of course this had changed. I enjoyed the journey!
Christine
Jul 03, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
A multi - layered book. A story within a story within a story. Reading about the main character's mother, their life and the stories she told her daughter was unsettling but ultimately lead to understanding the main characters fears and behaviour. I thought it was very well written.
Jessica Alexander-Lillicrap
Sep 13, 2015 Jessica Alexander-Lillicrap rated it really liked it
This book involves many complex mysteries, and doesn't solve all of them. I still found the story so intriguing and loved the imperfections of the various characters.
Calzean
Gaelle, a French woman, had an unusual childhood. A fashion editor and photographer, she marries a heart surgeon but they lose their baby at birth. She has a meltdown and is on the path of self destruction.

The story is about Galle fleeing her life in Sydney after the birth. She goes to a seaside town near Busselton, WA where she befriends a 13-year-old girl. Through telling her new friend stories of her childhood, and the stories her mother told her, she comes to grip with her lose, her relation
Sarah Epstein
Sep 21, 2015 Sarah Epstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elegant writing in this intricate story about love and heartbreaking loss.
Robin Bower
Aug 27, 2013 Robin Bower rated it it was ok
Some good writing but I felt that I didn't get to know the characters in enough depth. Involving, engaging and left me wanting to know more about the motivations of this woman. Very nice subtlety in the descriptions of the loss.
Leanne
May 18, 2012 Leanne rated it really liked it
For a first novel, this is exceptional, the story is intricate and moving and has a slightly disturbing element. Natasha Lester is a gifted storyteller, I'll be on the look out for her second novel.
Michele
Jun 10, 2011 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, kindle, prize
Mothers and daughters : Dunsborough : WA : Hungerford Award
Liz
Sep 19, 2011 Liz added it
Beautifully written. The second last chapter made me cry.
Fiona
Nov 04, 2011 Fiona rated it liked it
awesome - a book set in Busselton :)
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 11, 2013 Shelleyrae at Book'd Out rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
Review to come
Sue
Oct 03, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Not a book I would normally read but I did enjoy this. Made me cry though.
Susan Dunn
Susan Dunn rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Heidi Perrett
Heidi Perrett rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2016
Angela Falco
Angela Falco marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Kerran Olson
Kerran Olson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Heather Stokes
Heather Stokes marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Amanda Malseed
Amanda Malseed marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jaylee Neal
Jaylee Neal marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
It took me a while to do something about the dream I’d always had of being a writer. But when I finally quit my job as a Brand Manager for Maybelline Cosmetics and went back to uni to study creative writing, lots of things happened which made me believe I’d taken the right step. The first piece of writing I ever sent off to a journal for publication - a poem - was accepted. It was the best $100 I’ ...more
More about Natasha Lester...