Start by marking “The Journals of Eleanor Druse” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  831 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The fascinating journals that inspired Stephen King's TV series Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital. The book is a narrative of the life of Eleanor Druse and the astonishing events at Kingdom Hospital. It tells the story of a free-thinking woman and her quest to contact the tormented spirit of a young girl trapped between the here and the hereafter. The journals follow Eleanor ...more
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2004 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Journals of Eleanor Druse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journals of Eleanor Druse

Rebecca
This is kind of a difficult book to review, primarily because it was meant to be a precursor to the show/miniseries "Kingdom Hospital". Consequently, the ending was a total cliffhanger, and, since the show is no longer on the air and I have no desire to track it down to watch it, I haven't got any idea what the ultimate conclusion was.

Ending aside, this book was disappointingly average, particularly for something by Mr. King. Sally Druse, at first quirky and eccentric, quickly becomes a bit tire
Jan
King's miniseries "Kingdom Hospital" was based on this ghostly creepy story about a child's ghost trapped in the hospital and Eleanor's investigations into the hospital which reveal other evil presences including the spirit of a doctor whose past is linked to the child as well as Eleanor herself.
Chris
I remember seeing the miniseries, Kingdom Hospital a while back, and how it sprung from the mind of Stephen King after he was hit by the van and almost killed, and the "fun time" he had in said hospital. Ah well, this interesting story that I believe is under the pen name of a character from the series (not sure if the book came first or the miniseries - kinda a chicken and egg thing I should look up on Wikipedia), but there were characters and plot points that I remember from the series, and th ...more
Mareena
May 12, 2013 Mareena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mareena by: Paperback Swap
The newly built Kingdom Hospital in Lewiston, Maine, is one of the most technologically advanced hospitals in the country - a truly remarkable edifice known for its esteemed doctors and ground-breaking medical advancements. Eleanor Druse is called to Kingdom Hospital on a snowy night in December, at the behest of her childhood friend, Madeline Krueger. Madeline had attempted suicide and Eleanor's name was mentioned in the note that she had written that had been found near her.

The night that Elea
Rebecca
i watched the tv series many years ago (all except the final episode, stange - i know) so i already had a background for this book. in my imperfect memory of the tv program, eleanor druse was a fairly minor charcter so i was excited about experiencing the story from a new perspective. i did get that. however, i felt that the book ended just when it was getting to the really fun and interesting part. i'm all for cliff-hanger endings, or endings that don't tie up all the loose ends in a neat littl ...more
Ryan Balazi
this was a great book. the beginning was almost like a separate story but it tied into the other half of the book. their is a foreword to author Stephen king, I still not to sure if this is based on real paranormal events, sound like it could be. this book depicts the early barbaric medical experiments on brain surgery and mental health that the main character happen to be part of in the 1930s where her and her friend were quarantined for whooping cough. I did not care for bobby in the story the ...more
aobibliophile™
Eleanor Druse is one of the characters in the book. the author is actually Stephen King who developed the TV series "Kingdom Hospital" for US television.
the journals are not totally based on the TV show although readers who have seen the series will find familiar scenes and situations described here.
the journals talk further about the strange occurrences at Kingdom Hospital and Eleanor's connection with Mary Jensen whose spirit is trapped there.
the book also ends differently from that of the
Heather
A great read...up until the end. Nothing's concluded and your left hanging--I'm assuming this is so that readers would watch the show that goes with it/is based on it, but it's still a let-down when you get to the last page.
Holly
This tie-in to Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital mini-series doesn't stand alone very well. For example, it doesn't seem to have an ending. If King wrote this himself, he is either very good (at imitating an amateur writer) or slipping badly.

I'm guessing it wasn't Ridley either, as The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer was much more readable and enjoyable.

The narrator iss unstable emotionally, especially with regard to her relationship with her son, and it made it hard to take her seriously. Actually, it ma
Melissa Mikush
Can't remember Kingdom Hospital too well as they pulled it pretty quickly on ABC. Another King exploration of good v. evil and the supernatural.
Julianne
May 30, 2008 Julianne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller, supernatural, "horror" fans
I liked it. Read this in ~24hrs--easy read. I liked the writing style. It was supernatural, and a neat story. I feel like I could have connected with quite a few of the characters there. Not Sally, but some of the healthcare workers--and I kinda feel like I could have identified a few Drs that were similar to the neurosurgeon, though not pure evil as such.

The best part of this book--respiratory therapists are mentioned TWICE! And she actually alluded to real procedures performed by them, not jus
Despina
Тези дни съм се заела с прочита на "The Journals of Eleanor Druse" на Елинор Дрюс. Ако ви е попадал в полезрението сериала "Kingdom Hospital" на Стивън Кинг, то може би ще се сетите, че помежду им има връзка. Всъщност книгата е написана от Ричард Патрик Дулинг, известен с псевдонима си Елинор Дрюс, който е и един от копродуцентите и писатели на сериала. В книгата Елинор е възрастна дама от родния на Стивън Кинг щат Мейн, способна да общува със света на паранормалното.

P.S. Извинете ме, ако превод
Salymar
Eleanor Druse wrote this book as a tie-in to the Stephen King’s Kingdom Hospital project.

Eleanor Druse, inspired by the original character from Lars Von Trier’s mini-series and played by Diane Ladd in our version, was a delightful voice to inhabit during the months before Kingdom Hospital aired.
The Journals is a prequel to Kingdom Hospital.

My friend recommended this book, she said that you'll get "the chills" once you read it. But it didn't get the "SPOOKINESS" I was searching for in a horror b
Barbara
Eleanor Druse is a woman with a gift: she can communicate with the spirit realm. While visiting a friend at Kingdom Hospital, she has a near-death experience and discovers that humans aren't the only inhabitants of Kingdom. The story starts out a bit slowly, but by the second chapter, I was completely hooked. The pace never lessens and the characters are believeable, especially vain neurosurgeon Stegman. The book leaves off just as the Stephen King-produced miniseries begins, and it should be a ...more
Erin
It's been years since I watched the series "Kingdom Hospital" - it was odd, and a bit disappointing. I didn't really expect to like the book, but I did. The plot is a bit thin, and I really don't remember how the events in the book impact on the TV series (if they do...I have vague memories of Andrew McCarthy, Ed Begley, Jr. and a giant anteater. Hmmmm...maybe I blocked out the rest?), but there's enough of Stephen King's unique voice in the book that it kept me happily occupied through a power ...more
Ala
Since it's purpose is to provide background on the series or movie or whatever Kingdom Hospital was, so I had to give it 5 stars. It was well written and informative. However there is no conclusion. As one reviewer put it: It was written as though there are more journals. Does it make me want to watch KH? Yes, so I know what happened later, but I won't because I'd rather read the creepy stuff than watch it.
Craig
This was published as an introduction to Stephen King's television series of a few years ago. It doesn't really go anywhere or offer any kind of conclusion, but fans of the series (as I was, though not terribly rabidly) would probably enjoy it. It offers some interesting alternate viewpoints to the events that led up to the filmed story. It's a quick and simple read with some interesting scenes.
Erin
Ok, I realize it's a tie-in the TV series "Kingdom Hospital" but good gosh! Horrible ending, and the main character was a ding bat. It took so long for the story to actually get started, and then it just dragged on in sections.

Some parts were wonderful, and a bit creepy, just what you want from a King book, but so much of it was not good. I'm disappointed with this one.
Mai Ling
I liked this book about as much as I liked the series "Kingdom Hospital." Eh, mediocre, but since it's Stephen King, worth it for delving a little deeper into his brain. This story gives a little more background about one of my least favorite characters in the movie, and made her much more likable. But without having seen the movie first, I doubt it would make much sense.
Angela
Sep 04, 2010 Angela rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Kingdom Hospital
Shelves: ghost
This was an okay story. I was not overly impressed, but I am glad I read it. As many have stated, it does not have an ending, but that is because it is the precursor to the TV show, so, if you want more resolution you best watch the show (which I didn't think was all that great...okay, not even good, I only watched a couple episodes)
Arlo
Don't waste your time with this book. It exists solely as a teaser for the miniseries and does not include the end of the story. This is one case where the screen version is the one to see. It is, however, a very weird and entertaining story, and I encourage you to watch Kingdom Hospital in lieu of reading this book.
Lesa Miller
It's my understanding this was written after the series aired.I watched the series & found it kind of hard to follow.The book flowed much better but the ending was left wide open as if there is another "journal".Other than that,it was a good read.How could it not be,coming from Master King.
Kimber Hansen
I remember watching Stephen King's "Kingdom Hospital" on TV and was confused as I didn't remember situations like the book. I realized upon finishing that the book ended where Stephen King's series began. It was interesting and a good read for those who are interested in psychic gifts.
Lisa James
Stephen King SHINES in this book, written, like Red Rose, in a journal form, so it's almost believable as fact to those who may not even realize it's fiction! Totally spooky, and my hat is off to the Master! The mini-series was good too, but not as good as the book :)
Kathleen
FYI to all the people who reviewed this as a Stephen King book...It was not written by King, but by Richard Dooling (nor was The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer, which was written by Ridley Pearson). Just thought you all should know. :-)
Matt Siden
This King book was just a quickie licensed tie in to the short-lived TV series Kingdom Hospital. The series itself was a weak remake of a Von Trier's better mini-series. The book follows the lead of the series. Just disappointing.
Colleen
I really enjoyed this book. This book is more like trailer for the kingdom hospitl series, so don't expect an ending. It's purpose is to set you up to want to see the series and that's exactly what it did for me.
Diana
I picked this book up because it was free, and although it's not the worst thing I've ever read, I found it dry and unconvincing. It's obviously fiction, Eleanor Druse does not exist. Not the worst, though.
Jenna
A good book, but now I need to see the series. I'm not sure how I feel about books with accompanying media, and are not able to necessarily stand on their own.
Nicole
I don't know much about the supernatural, or noetics or psychoparanormal phenomena or anything like that. This was a good, old-fashioned ghost story. Very fun read.
  • The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red
  • Bad Seeds: Evil Progeny
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • 666
  • 13 Drops of Blood
  • The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories
  • The Bell Witch: An American Haunting
  • Hellbound Hearts
  • Ju-on Volume 1 (呪怨, #1)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon
  • Lovedeath
  • Stargate SG-1: Survival of the Fittest (Stargate SG-1, #11)
  • Stalking  Shadows (Scary Mary, #2)
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • Songs on Bronze: The Greek Myths Made Real
  • I Shudder at Your Touch
  • More Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
Eleanor Sarah "Sally" Druse (b. 2 Nov 1928) is an "experimental psychologist and professor emeritus of noetic sciences and esoteric psychology," and a graduate of Faust College in Lewiston, Maine.
She is the ostensible author of The Journals of Eleanor Druse.
More about Eleanor Druse...
The Journals of Eleanor Druse

“One bad thing can often be rectified or overlooked, but several of them can sometimes coalesce into a compound disaster that sprouts tentacles and develops a self-directed will of its own, the kind of thing my dear old dad used to call a cluster fudge bar.” 1 likes