Start by marking “Devil's Kiss (Billi SanGreal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Kiss (Billi SanGreal, #1)

Devil's Kiss (Devil's Kiss #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  4,020 ratings  ·  531 reviews
As the youngest and only female member of the Knights Templar,Bilquis SanGreal grew up knowing she wasn't normal. Instead of hanging out at the mall or going on dates, she spends her time training as a soldier in her order's ancient battleagainst the Unholy. Billi'scloistered life isblastedapartwhenher childhood friend, Kay, returns from Jerusalem, gorgeous and witha dange ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Disney Hyperion (first published May 1st 2009)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Billi SanGreal lives with her father and his few comrades, the last Templars. She is the first female to train to be a Templar, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a replacement generation besides her and the psychic orphan Kay. Her mother was killed years before, and the difficult and painful training leaves her no time for friends or extracurricular activities. Ostracism at school and the coldness of her father and the other knights make her lonely and angst-ridden.

The theological
The Vinaya Monologues

Vinaya: So, I'm not sure what to think of The Devil's Kiss
Vinaya's Cartoon Devil Pictures, Images and Photos : Not much to think about, love, it wasn't some profound oeuvre.

Vinaya's Angel Pictures, Images and Photos : But it was interesting in parts.

V's little devil: *snorts* "In parts" ain't good enough for me!

V's angel: "In parts" is better than the unmitigated boredom of books like Hush, Hush and Fallen. Huh, those fallen angels aren't very interesting, are they? *preens*

V's devil: More interesting than those losers who couldn't stop preach
Nov 06, 2015 Kiki marked it as put-it-in-the-freezer  ·  review of another edition
I tried, chickens, truly I did. I got about thirty pages in, and I can't do it. It's not that the writing was bad or anything, and I may have even liked the protagonist, it's just...

It's just...

I hate the Knights Templar.
This is, without a doubt, the best book I have read this year.
Something about it makes me classify this more as adult fiction than teen fiction, even though the main character herself is very young.
This book contains such a powerful message, from the questioning of religion, to the degrees of loyalty, to the power and weakness of love. And the main theme it revolves around is human nature. What is human nature? What propells us forward to the cause? And most of all what is right exactly and what
Alethea A
Sep 13, 2009 Alethea A rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffy fans, but you've probably heard that.
Ok, here's the skinny on Sarwat Chadda's Devil's Kiss.

Read this if you like:

- gritty, almost-but-not-quite steampunk fantasy
- swords, battles, blood-and-guts action
- zombies, ghouls, vampires, and creepy children crawling with flies
- Knights Templar mythos, Oracles, and Ethereal beings

Girls looking for cute boys: we got that!

Boys looking for zombie-invasions and dark, mysteriously frozen halls: we got that, too!

Billi is a pretty good heroine, and most male readers will probably be comfortable
There were bits that were not so good, mostly in the beginning when the character went to school, but the good parts were so good, and the climax so killer, that in the end, I had to give this book a high rating. It's a dark, merciless coming-of-age story, full of love and hate and immaturity, and -- at the very end -- agonizing sacrifice. Go and be devoured by it, just as I was.
I'm one of those readers to whom you can say the phrase "Knights Templar" and I've already opened the book and read to page 20. So you can imagine my disappointment when I realized this book doesn't have a tremendous amount of Templar lore, just a bitter protagonist who seems WAY older than her chronological age. Fallen angels, a love interest, a pandemic - all of these elements should have made me so happy, but I didn't like any of the characters enough to actually care about them. The book als ...more
Melissa Wehunt
Well, I'll tell you what. I totally loved this book and was ready to go off on that until I read some of the criticisms of the book and that has totally distracted and irritated me. Like the one about Christianity...She says that Chadda twisted Bible characters and their stories and that readers of this book should be aware and not take what he writes as fact. Like, duh! Why would we?? It's a fantasy book! I think we all know that liberties are taken with historical "facts." And that's if you ca ...more
Although the story and concept sound like 90% of paranormals out there (like City of Bones, Embrace, Hush, Hush), Devil's Kiss is a little more doom and gloom-ish, and has a slightly darker turn towards the end. There definitely could have been more action instead of sitting around and puzzling over "stupid prophecy, stupid Templar life, my life sucks" kind of stuff.

Billi didn't really seem to have as much grit as I hoped, since to my knowledge, she dropped out of the Templars for her dating

I enjoyed this but it would have worked better for me with more of a romance.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

This book is not at all what I expected. The cover is the first thing that threw me. It’s beautiful, but I assumed that DEVIL’S KISS was a historical YA. It’s not. Why they have Billi dressed like that I have no idea. This is a Paranormal YA set in modern day England.

After hearing about the premise for this book, which involves the only female member of the dwindling Knights Templar and their never ending war against the Unholy (vampires, ghosts, fallen
Sarwat's book hasn't gotten too much press outside the UK. I have no friggin' idea why though, because it is awesome. This was, seriously, some fantastic YA urban fantasy that I think would easily appeal to adults. Sure, Billi is only 15 - but she has had to grow up really fast and it has made her more mature than some of the adult characters I read! (*cough* Faythe *cough*)

Billi is fighting the good-fight against the demonic forces - and it comes with casualties. There are angels, vampires, wol
Sarwat Chadda’s first book in the ‘Devil’s Kiss’ series is a revelation!
Truly, I have slogged through some God-awful (pardon the pun) books about angels. Becca Fitzpatrick’s ‘Hush, Hush’ and JR Ward’s ‘Covet’ almost ruined the entire angel-theme for me. But Chadda’s novel has managed to change my thinking entirely!

Billi SanGreal is a member of the Knights Templar. Once known and revered as the ‘Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon’, this religious order now resides in Lond
I was looking forward to reading this book. I'd recieved the sequel, Dark Goddess, for review and although I'd been assured it wasn't necessary to read Devil's Kiss, I decided to anyway as everyone seemed to think very highly of it. Unfortunatly I was disappointed and found Devils Kiss a bit of a struggle.

The book starts very well. Billi is confronting a demon who has possessed a six year old child. Torn between wanting to protect the little boy and knowing she would have to destroy him, I found
I should first say that the book I read was an advance copy and may have changed somewhat in the official print version. However, I doubt the plot had any major revisions and that is essentially what I had problems with. I honestly feel like this was an attempt to create a Harry Potter-like book for a conservative Christian audience. It didn’t work. The plot twists are completely unsurprising because they have been done so very many times before. What the author expects to be a shock is instead ...more
I did not really feel any of the characters. I did not much care about them. The only interesting relationship was between the heroine and her father and that got resolved in an unsatisfactory way, for me. Too easy.

The vilain was not that scary. He had a lot of promise but it kind of fizzled out. The action felt very removed from the present, from the outside world - at the begining there's mention of Billi going to school but later on it feels like there is nothing but the Templars, Templars
I roll my eyes at this book. Plot holes, but even more plot opportunities left untaken (not exactly to the level of a "Chekov's gun", but he could have just written a much better book if he'd capitalized on some of the things he'd already written into the book, if that makes sense...). Author is not very good with description, especially with fight scenes, so that most of the time I was confused about what exactly was going on. Definitely needs work on imagery and reading cues. Interesting idea, ...more
Let's just say, I didn't expect much from this book. At all, really. I was beyond surprised when it turned out much better than I could have ever imagined.

Billi is such a strong character, one that you can relate to and you know exactly why she's doing what she's doing. There was no "What are you thinking?!" moment with her. With a few other characters, yes, but their personalities were so well defined, you knew what they were doing even though you didn't like it.

I also really liked how it didn'
I loved The Devil's Kiss! Introducing Billi SanGreal, a wonderfully strong, conflicted heroine, it's filled with intrigue, romance, and an age old power struggle. I couldn't put this one down and can't wait to read what Sarwat Chadda writes next.
Michelle Rebar
This is a dark, exciting and original story that fans of STRANGE ANGELS by Lili St. Crow, THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series by Cassandra Clare and the TV show SUPERNATURAL will enjoy. It's got pretty much everything you could ask for in a book. Great characters, forbidden romance, swords and sorcery, creepy creatures and a grand and diabolical evil. The pages will fly quickly as you get sucked into this dangerous and thrilling world. What a rush!

NOBODY messes with Billi SanGreal. That's because ever
I am not even sure where to begin this review. As you can see, from the very low rating, I did not enjoy this book. In fact it was actually quite a frustrating book to read.

The thing that most aggravated me about Devil’s Kiss was that the villain was annoying. And by annoying I do not mean annoyingly evil, but annoying as in a “can’t someone kill this idiot already?” kind of way. First, it was obvious from the beginning that he was a villain. Secondly, whenever he came into the story again he w
Sara Grochowski
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up Devil's Kiss. I'd heard widely varied reviews, but I was intrigued nonetheless. I've always loved fantastical stories that are rooted in truth and I was even more intrigued by the fact that the main character was female.

Devil's Kiss pulled me in right from the beginning. While I had a pretty good idea of who the villain would be, it wasn't definite, the story could have progressed in a couple different ways. I liked that it wasn't completely obvious.
I was disappointed at the Michael storyline, I thought it ran predictable but it doesn't really matter because once the truth about Michael is revealed, the plot quickly becomes unpredictable. The real world seemed to take a backseat to all the monsters and the work of the Templars. Billi comes to school with bruises from all her fights and her teachers wonder about the bruises, but they never press the issue. Also her father was so cruel and I thought the explanation was too convenient (I happi ...more
The protagonist of Devil's Kiss, Bilqis SanGreal, or Billi, wants to live a normal life, just like a usual teenager- shopping, hanging out, dating; however she doesn't have a choice. She has been chosen as the youngest and the only female member of the Knights Templar. As much as she refuses being one, she has to train herself as a Warrior in their war against the Unholy - vampires, werewolves, watchers and all other evil spirits.

Kay, her childhood friend and now an Oracle for the Templar, retur
Devil's Kiss was a lucky library find for me. I brought it home out of desperation and put off reading it for weeks because I was sure I wouldn't like it. Surprise! It's a good book. The plot starts right away with fifteen-year-old Billi SanGreal's induction into the Knights Templar: she must dispatch an undead creature in the guise of a six-year-old boy with her stern and exacting father, Arthur, looking on. From there, the story might sputter a bit, but where it runs well its a smooth ride.

I h
I like it. A lot. The thing I like most about it, apart from well-developed plot and a smart (in so many ways!) heroine, is the work that went into creating the world in which Billi lives. As an academic, I can truly appreciate the amount of research that went into creating his universe. It is hard to not be impressed by an author who only makes up what he has to. He uses what is already out there in the world to his advantage. Why start from scratch if it is not necessary?

I also greatly enjoyed
Between the Covers
Reviewed by Christin for Between the Covers

When I first stumbled upon the Billi SanGreal novels, my thoughts were - "Templar lore? Strong heroine? A little romance thrown in? Yes, please!" And Devil's Kiss did not disappoint.

Billi has been raised to be a fighter for the Knights Templar - she has been trained, tested, and accepted. But it is a hard life, and even when her one and only friend returns from his time away in training, Billi is still longing for a meaningful relationship. Enter Michae
Kristen My Bookish Fairy Tale
Billi SanGreal wants to be normal, not some soilder of a long but forgotten society of warriors. She just wants to have friends, go to the movies or maybe even have a boyfriend. But no she just happens to be the youngest member of the world's most famous society the Knights Templar. But the Knight's Templar is not what it once was. It was the most respected and feared and not just a shell of what it once was. From numbers at one time being in the thousands are now down to 9. 9 people to defend h ...more
Wild Things: YA G...: The Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda 1 16 Mar 28, 2011 06:44PM
  • Night Runner (Night Runner, #1)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon, #1)
  • Misfit
  • Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1)
  • The Fetch
  • Silver Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #1)
  • Watersmeet (Watersmeet, #1)
  • Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Pace (The Pace, #1)
  • The Hunt of the Unicorn
  • Flaming Dove
  • The Candidates (Delcroix Academy, #1)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • Shadowed Summer
  • The Prophecy (The Watchers Chronicles, #1)
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Dark Heart Forever (Dark Heart, #1)
Sarwat Chadda has lived and traveled throughout the world, from China to Guatemala. He’s been lost in Mongolia, abandoned at a volcano in Nicaragua and hidden up a tree from a rhino in Nepal. Not to mention being detained by Homeland Security in the US and chased around Tibet by the Chinese police. Maybe he just has that sort of face.

Anyway, now he’s trying to settle in one place and stay out of t
More about Sarwat Chadda...

Devil's Kiss (2 books)
  • Dark Goddess (Devil's Kiss, #2)

“Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.” 24 likes
“What, no balloons?' Billi asked drily.
'You want balloons, join the circus.”