Start by marking “Intuitive Eating: A Recovery Book For The Chronic Dieter; Rediscover The Pleasures Of Eating And Rebuild Your Body Image” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  3,178 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews
Rediscover the pleasures of eating and rebuild your body image.

We've all been there-- angry at ourselves for overeating, for our lack of willpower, for failing at yet another diet that was supposed to be the last one. But the problem is not you, it's that dieting, with its emphasis on rules and regulations. It has stopped you from listening to your body.

Written by two prom
Published February 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Intuitive Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intuitive Eating

Thomas
A wonderful book for those who wish to do away with dieting and learn to love food again. As someone who reads a lot about eating disorders and hopes to specialize in eating disorder treatment and prevention, I found Intuitive Eating a well-written reference on how to reject diet mentality, find satisfaction from food, and cope with emotions in ways that do not involve eating. Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch show their expertise by blending their innovative Intuitive Eating program with loads of ...more
Julia
May 10, 2012 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clinical-work
For my final pre-internship year, I'm going to be working with individuals with eating disorders. I figured I'd try something completely new. When I asked my supervisor what books she'd recommend as introductory readings, "Intuitive Eating" is where she sent me, telling me that it's the only self-help nutrition book out there that she not only tolerates, but actually likes. In short: her assessment is spot-on.

People ask me for book recommendations fairly often (and I'm only a grad student, so I
Amy
Jun 09, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish, wish, wish that every one of my friends who struggles with her weight, thinks she should diet, or who mentally tallies in her mind what she’s eaten that day or that week to determine if she can eat that “cookie” (or whatever) would read this book. Before reading this book, I thought I was an intuitive eater because I lived by the mantra “eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’re full”, but reading this book has brought me a new level of peace with food.

The basic premise of intuitive eati
Jo Lisa
This is actually my 2nd reading of this book.. I read it in 2015 as well. While I know that the 10 Principles are extremely valuable, it is so hard to change decades of food fear and disordered eating! I am working really hard toward intuitive eating. I have found that I go through phases of how I feel about food. This has always been true, but recently I find that my phases can change several times a day! It scares me as a recovering anorexic. My only option is to work one day at a time.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

While I think overall, this and "Mindful Eating" are probably the best ways to care for one's health, this book was hugely repetitive and pretty obvious for anyone who's spent any amount of time trying to lose weight.

The Non-Diet Diet

+ Pay attention to when you are hungry and full. Only eat when you are hungry. Don't eat until you are stuffed.

+ Don't diet. Plan on eating this way for the rest of your life and shelve that mentality of eating a certain way for 6 weeks to drop 20 poun
Kate LaChapelle
May 27, 2013 Kate LaChapelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, no seriously, everyone should read it
Shelves: own
I started reading this book the other day and while it has only been a few days, I can see how much its ideas are transforming my life. Since I was a young girl I have struggled with body image, food issues, and disordered eating and my struggle has only gotten more difficult and more pronounced as I've gotten older, this book feels like it's the remedy I've been waiting for.

I hate diets. They don't work and only serve to exacerbate my disordered eating and my unhealthy relationship with my body
Jezzyka
Sep 11, 2010 Jezzyka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... Sigh...

This is, essentially, the way to eat. A lot of people do, naturally, it's not like a special, new-age restrictive idea. But for many of us, who see "Drop a Pant Size in 2 Weeks" and constant headlines on the obesity crisis, we can't help but be affected, to feel that something is wrong with us and we have to be perfect. PERFECT. We have to look like this-- on top of being this, acting like this, and anything less means that something is wrong. We don't have enough "will-power".

Not
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoyed this insightful, if slightly overselling explanation of intuitive eating, the authors' working method in the field of nutrition. Their approach is empowering and practical, and unique in the field. I believe that many, many people who struggle or have struggled with food will find something of value in this, whether you use parts of their ideas to supplement your relationship to food or commit to their complete process.

First, an example. A couple months ago, I sat with a half-e
Jen V
Jan 22, 2010 Jen V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now that it's been almost 7 years since first being introduced to Intuitive Eating I can honestly say the concepts in this book actually really did change my life and allowed me to "make peace with food". I think I have the first edition (there are now 4) which although the writing is a little (okay a lot) hoakie the concepts are priceless. I do have to say I initially read this book as part of coursework while studying nutrition at USU so I never had the experience of picking it up and just rea ...more
Tara
Feb 26, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tara by: Anna Guest-Jelley
Shelves: 2013, health
I love what this book is saying, but it is VERY 80s-feeling.
The gist of the "program" - eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, and stop guilting yourself when you eat what you TRULY want.
I think modern studies about the addict-ability of processed foods makes this slightly less factual. The authors claim the reason you overeat is because you've either been starving yourself, or you're planning to starve yourself, or you're thinking "oh well! I've already had one! Everything is ruined!"
Kathy
Mar 10, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across a mention of this book on a blog and thought it sounded interesting. It's about losing the diet mentality and having a healthy relationship with food and our bodies. The book is geared toward chronic dieters, which I am not. I don't think I've ever seriously dieted. Sometimes I'll focus on smaller portions or eating healthier, but I'm not about denying myself foods or counting calories. If I'm hungry I eat. Even though it's not written with me in mind so much, I got some useful and ...more
Kimberly Read
Jun 05, 2013 Kimberly Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate dieting. I detest counting calories or fat grams or carbs. I already find it difficult to squeeze grocery shopping into my hectic schedule so just the thought of adding any more time going label by label through the store, makes me seriously cranky. The minute I add a diet to my intentions, I find myself anxiously binging on my favorite foods in anticipation of their loss. And a few days into any diet, I swear I would mug a Girl Scout for her cookies! However, I am quite overweight (we ca ...more
Laurie
Jan 06, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has completely changed the way I eat. I have always considered myself a positive, upbeat person who is kind and loving to everyone including myself. This book showed me how I was denying myself food and torturing myself every time I ate. I was not being kind to me.

No more dieting. No more denying myself food because it is "not good for me". It is just like she says in the book --if you tell a child they can play with any toy in the room but the pink elephant, the pink elephant is the o
Mindy
Aug 20, 2008 Mindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is tired of the dieting game and wants to eat in a healthy manner
I debated entering this here, as this is more about my eating issues than literature. But hey - it was a book I read and ill likely read again soon, so I added it.

It's basically about reteaching ourselves to eat when we're hungry, and to eat what we want. Sounds simple, but I find I really have to think about it and not just eat because it's 9AM or Noon, etc.

It's also about eating "real food." I'm no longer fixating on low-sugar, low-calorie, fat-free stuff. I'd rather eat creamy vanilla yogurt
Lizzie Jones
Jul 02, 2014 Lizzie Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is actually excellent. I picked it up on a whim, interested due to a review of a friend of mine. I wasn't looking for a health book, I wasn't interested in changing my entire mindset on eating and food.... but this book has really shifted my view in so many ways. What the author is saying actually makes perfect sense. She has enough fact to back up her claims that I actually started doing some research and found out that not only are her claims grounded and credible, but they might be ...more
Jennyross76
Okay, I'm on the last chapter, but people keep friending me on here and I figured I should update. LOL! I think this book is very interesting. Mostly because I know several people who believe that cutting out desserts or starting a new fad diet is the best way to lose pounds. And it might be...until you start eating the way you did prior to the diet. I've said for a long time that I do not want to be in a position where I have to turn down a piece of cake because I "can't" eat it. I want to turn ...more
Lolene
Jun 19, 2012 Lolene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written for and about me. I publicly acknowledge that I have been addicted to diets since the age of ten. If you know me, you know that dieting has NOT worked for me...except to make me fatter. This book is all about giving up dieting and finally making peace with food. Food is not the enemy. Lack of willpower, guilt, self-hatred, etc. are not characteristics that need to dog everyone's footsteps forever. This book was a revelation to me...I saw myself on every page. I underlined, ...more
Megan
Jul 06, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me in recovery from my Eating Disorder. It's what they teach at one of the top Eating Disorder facility's in the world. It. is. AMAZING.

Get back in touch with your initial intuitive eating skills, that came to you so naturally as a child. Eat what you really want, when you really want it. Enjoy food. Get to your natural healthy weight and love your body. Stop obsessing and start living!

Sarah Sniderman
Apr 13, 2014 Sarah Sniderman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intuitive Eating already provides an excellent summary as appendix to the book and very worthwhile details including the science behind intuitive eating. However, as per usual, I’ve taken notes for my own reference and, of course, I’d like to share. Note many sentences are word-for-word, I’ve simply condensed it to the main parts.

Principle 1: Reject the Diet Mentality

Get angry at the lies that have led you to feel as if you were a failure every time a new diet stopped working and you gained back
Iris
I feel convinced to try intuitive eating and I feel more prepared to do so, having read this book.

That said, this was written in the mid-90s and really shows it. I would love an updated book that has fat acceptance and health at every size principles at its core, rather than as asides. I want an overtly feminist version of this book, too.

I think we know more about nutrition now, and the specific fad diets that people try are different now, so an update on that would be great.

But, I have some
Marina
I'm not entirely sure how to rate this book because....

...on the one hand, it does make perfect sense and it is kind of eye-opening, but
...on the other hand, there is so much information that is just completely unnecessary.
The book is way too long, with way too many examples that do not really help. I know this sounds rude, but why should I care what happened in XYZ's life? I know these examples were chosen so that the reader has a representation/an example of the explained principle in 'real li
Florence
Apr 30, 2014 Florence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, food
What should be a normal activity, that of eating, has become a stressful and unhealthy practice. According to Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch in their most recent edition of Intuitive Eating, "we have become a nation riddled with guilt based on what we eat. Even non-dieters experience angst. In a random survey of 2,075 adults, 45 percent said they feel guilty after eating foods they like!"
We need to challenge the food police and stop dieting! "Food companies, books, magazines and commercials are
Tinab
Aug 11, 2014 Tinab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this 5 stars, though I only just finished reading it. It speaks to me. It seems like common sense, except that we have so many "Food Police" and "Nutrition Informants" in our heads, on TV, in magazines, and even in our friends and family, that try to tell us what is good and what is bad, and tell us what to never eat again, and what to eat more of. The bottom line is, the madness has to stop. Many of us are going to rebel and want what we shouldn't have even more, and beat ourselv ...more
Rachelle
Oct 12, 2008 Rachelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to read this book, mainly because I read it very slowly so that I could absorb all of the concepts. This book is all about making peace with food and with the body you have. It is not another diet book; in fact, the main theme of the book is the necessity of rejecting the "diet mentality" once and for all. The authors point out that almost all diets eventually fail, and most people chastise themselves for not having the “willpower” or “self-control” to be successful on a d ...more
Falina
Aug 04, 2013 Falina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intuitive Eating is well organized, written in an engaging fashion, and contains an extensive bibliography, which are all the things that I look for in a book that bases its arguments on science and/or research. However, it's the philosophy of the book that makes it amazing for me. The underlying principles of Intuitive Eating are things that I've been trying to incorporate into my life in general lately -- mindfulness, self-love, and something the authors call "enlightened hedonism"-- basically ...more
Leanne
Jul 11, 2012 Leanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I already love my friend, Lolene, but offering her copy of Intuitive Eating alone would be enough to endear her to me forever! I just kept feeling so much relief as I read this book.
Written by two nutritionists, it offers a way out of all the dieting and overeating craziness.

I will always be a fan of Weight Watchers--it's healthy and I've had quite a bit of success with it. HOWEVER, I get tired of focusing on food: the point counting, the shopping, comparing of options, trying new recipes that
Nancy Cluff
Dec 28, 2010 Nancy Cluff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A program for those who have hit "diet bottom" to help learn to eat naturally, without emotional eating or overeating.
My main complaint is that it's hard to put the principles into practice with the book alone. It would be great to have a support group. I've also purchased the audio from the same authors which includes what they call "practices" to help learn the principles, almost as if you were seeing them for diet counseling.
I've not lost much weight (yet), but I've made peace with food and
Kim
Feb 15, 2017 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! I honestly did not think of myself as a person with an eating disorder, until now. I see how I have misused/abused food, in multiple ways. I understand the beginnings of this and I'm ready to start using these principles. Time to return to the eating habits of a toddler! 5⭐ is my rating.
Laura Kump
Good read but honestly people it's COMMON SENSE.
Robbie Blair
Mar 31, 2015 Robbie Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Your body is not your enemy. This book guides you through making peace with food and starting on a better path toward health, psychological well-being, and feeling connected with your appetite. It’s not a perfect book: it takes its time hammering in some of its points, it can be repetitive at times, it has several long section that may not be applicable to you, and it failed to give me a satisfying amount of information on how to address emotional eating.

Despite these flaws, however, the book is
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food
  • Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence from Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too
  • Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family
  • Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession
  • Breaking Free from Emotional Eating
  • Secrets from the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss, the Myth of Willpower, and Why You Should Never Diet Again
  • Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body
  • The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts
  • The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks
  • 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder: Effective Strategies from Therapeutic Practice and Personal Experience
  • How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too: Stop Binge Eating, Overeating and Dieting For Good Get the Naturally Thin Body You Crave From the Inside Out (Thinside Out)
  • Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle
Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD is an award-winning registered dietitian, with a nutrition counseling practice in Newport Beach, California. She has written seven books including the bestsellers Healthy Homestyle Cooking and Intuitive Eating(co-author). Her newest book is the Ultimate Omega-3 Diet.

Evelyn was the nutrition expert for Good Morning America, appearing from 1994-’95 and was a national spokesper
More about Evelyn Tribole...

“If you don’t love it, don’t eat it, and if you love it, savor it.” 1 likes
“Dieting may cause stress or make the dieter more vulnerable to its effects. Independent of body weight itself, dieting is correlated with feelings of failure, lowered self-esteem, and social anxiety.” 0 likes