Start by marking “Shadow Horse” as Want to Read:
Shadow Horse

Shadow Horse (Shadow Horse #1)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,273 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Thirteen-year-old foster kid Jasmine Schuler is immediately drawn to the scrawny, broken-looking brown gelding huddled in the corner of an auction house stall. Feeling a kinship with the lonely animal, Jas convinces her new foster mom, who rescues and rehabilitates abused horses on her Virginia farm, to buy him. Slowly, the horse Jas names Shadow begins to blossom and even ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Horse

Rebecca McNutt
I wasn't expecting much from this book at first, but Shadow Horse turned out to be a fast-paced middle grade mystery with likeable characters, interesting vocabulary and vibrant imagery. Definitely a great book for kids and I highly recommend it.
Shealyn
i loved this book the most out of all the books i have read this one is my favorite. i loved it when she found out that horse she had was a horse that she thought had died . settings : human society and a barn summary : after assaulting the owner of a horses farm she worked at she got sent to juvenile jail for about 2 to3 years there I think . she went on to live with her grand father but she found out that she had to go live with someone different she had to be at a adoption home because her gr ...more
Nicole
They were on their way to bringing home a blue ribbon in the National Hunter Division class when 13-year-old Jasmine Schuler found her favorite mare, Whirlwind, lying dead in her pasture. Now she must face the inside of a courtroom and juvenile hall. No one will believe the true side of the story; that she only attacked the owner of High Meadows Farm because he had poisoned Whirlwind on purpose. But Hugh Robicheaux never loses. Jas knows that, but she never gives up. When Jas is pronounced guil ...more
Sarah Parker
loved it but didn't like ending they didnt solve the mystery
Angelc
This book was originally written in 1999 and it definitely reminded me of the simpler, sweeter YA that I used to read. Even the packaging of the story is like the slim, 250 page YA books of that time. There's nothing over the top in the book, and it's a nice, refreshing change of pace from today's dystopians, and tear-jerker contemporaries.

The heroine, Jas, is 13, so it's probably suited to a young YA audience or the older middle grade reader.

The mystery is nice and I sure didn't see where it wa
Olivia Hochstadt
Do you think it's fair if you are put into a Juvenile Detention Center for hitting someone after he killed your beloved prize-winning horse? Neither does 13-year-old Jasmine Schuler. Jas had a horse. A beautiful winning horse named Whirlwind. She rode at a very high-class riding barn and went to fancy horse shows each week. That was until her horse was killed. The stunning Whirlwind was murdered. The only person who would do such a thing would be Hugh Robiceaux, the owner of Jas's riding barn. T ...more
Chelsea

“She was a flash of gold as she cantered around the ring. Ears pricked, neck arched, she moved like a movie star in the spotlight as she sailed over the last fence. Landing smoothly she slowed to a trot in front of the crowd, tossing her mane as if to say ‘Wasn’t I great?’ / Because she was great. She was the most beautiful horse in the world. / But now she was dead.” (Hart #6) Jas’ life was torn apart that day they found Whirlwinds body, dead in the pasture with remanence of poisonous yew bran
Oceane
I greatly enjoyed the topic of this book, but found it lacking in word choice and such. Being 14 years old and an accelerated reader, I was quite disappointed upon finding that the author's style of writing wasn't as eloquent as I would have liked. There were also some elements in the story that were unbelievable — why would he hint towards Aladdin? How was her foster mother right there at the right time? Sadly, I can't give this book a 5 star review, but I felt it portrayed relationships betwee ...more
Taylor Geare
Jas sits on a hard wooden bench, struggling in the cold metal cuffs that chain her hands together. She listens reluctantly to those called to the stand, refusing to say a word as she glares into the back of Hugh's head. Her Grandfather taken from her, her favorite horse dead, and now the threat of being taken to juvenile prison? What could possibly go wrong next. She finds out quickly. Instead of being sentenced to sit in the slammer, she is sent away to Second Chance Farms with a foster Mother. ...more
Abby Rowe
Loved It!

To be honest I first picked up this book in the library and read the back thinking that if it had a horse on the cover I would like it, wrong. At that point in my reading I was not one for violence in books that concerend animals mainly horses. But after a while I went back grabbed the book off the shelf and checked it out hoping I was making the right decision on reading it. Now that I look back at it I am glad that I did. A mystery in disguise this one can deal with multiple changes o
Sami
Nov 30, 2008 Sami rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves animals
Shelves: must-read-again
This is without a doubt one of my favorite books out there! I've read it so many times and I can relate to the main character so well. I have horses and I would do anything to protect the baby I love...
..Ticket To My Heart..
Jasmine's favorite is poisened.She get mad and attacks someone with a hoofpick.It is a good mystery for mystery lovers and a book for horse lovers. like me!
Solange
Clare
Jas Schuler loved her horse Whirlwind more than anything. So, when she went out to ride her, and found her lying dead in the paddock, she was shocked....moreJas Schuler loved her horse Whirlwind more than anything. So, when she went out to ride her, and found her lying dead in the paddock, she was shocked. Whirlwind died of poisoning,but she knew that her grandfather who also took care of the barns grounds cleaning would have seen the deadly yew,and gotten rid of it. So, the only other one to b ...more
Miquaelia
I loved it. Although it was a bit predictable. Once 'Shaddow'came along you could kind of guess that it was all a fraud but it was a really good book and i really enjoyed reading it.

I can relate to this book because i find it very hard to trust people too but there is always that one person you know you can count on.

'Jas' is a 13 year old girl who is horse crazy. She is an amazing rider and was going to go far in her riding career on her favorite horse but when the mare gets poisoned and died,
Annie J
This is honestly one if the best books I've ever read!!! I read it a couple years ago and have read it at least 4 times since!!! This is the perfect book for horse loving mystery readers!!! This book is one of my favorites and I would strongly recommend this book to anyone that will listen!!!
Donald Scarborough
Great Read!

I gave this book 5 stars. It is well written and keeps you guessing. I couldn't put it down. I am looking forward to reading the next book. I think anyone who likes horses and a good mystery will like this book.
Karina
I remember this was one of my favorite books as a pre-young teenager and I spent most of it wishing there was a sequel. I'll need to go see if there is.
Rachel
Jas Schular loves her horse Whirlwind more than anything in the entire world. Her love for that horse surely surpasses what every other equestrian feels. Then one day, all of that is torn away from her when she finds her horse dead. Whirlwind was poisoned, but her grandfather must have caught the deadly plant and extinguished its being. Jas would bet her life on the fact that one man in particular was out to get her beloved horse and break her fragile heart. This book is a heart warming story ab ...more
victoria allen
A great mystery that combines both horses and mysteries
Sierra
An old childhood favorite.

Re-read: Feb 1st 2015
Susan Count
I didn't find the premise believable. The pace of the story was good.
Emilie Perron
One of the first things that bothered me with this book was the assault charge. Despite this, however, I still really enjoyed this book : crime and horses is always my cup of tea.
Caroline
I read this book starting at 8pm and finishing at 10:30pm, not putting it down once except to brush my teeth. It was amazing.

Jam packed with heart-wrenching and eye flushing moments, "Shadow Horse" has the perfect amount of suspense, romance, and horses. An ideal and wonderful book for me. I am so excited to start Hart's next book in the series, Whirlwind.

This was a marvelous book and I recommend it to any horse or mystery novel lover.
Kimberly
I SO LOVE THIS BOOK I HAVE NO WORDS READ IT IT HAS LOTS OF MYSTERY!!!!!!
Bailey
the perfect blend of mystery and horses, two of my favorite things!! I love this book because it's not normal. i mean, she's a criminal living on a horse-rescue farm. it really adds a different aspect to the book. this book really gets you hooked, and you don't really have to be into horses to love it. if you read Shadow Horse, be sure to read its sequel, Whirlwind. love, love, love this book!! awesome! :)
Emily
Haley
I read this book in elementary school, fourth grade or something, I think, and I remember loving it! I don't know what made me think of it again, but I decided to look it up and here it is! I should read it again someday, but all I remember right now is that I checked it out at least three times from our library :D
Anastasia
...oddly enough, after reading this book I dreamed of caring for a horse so much that I would also assault someone with a hoof pick - admittedly, I was rather young at the time, but either way I loved this book. It's a quick, convenient read. It's rather clever, too, at some parts.
Logan Truesdell
This book is an awesome book for tweens and up. Full of mystery, daring, a love for horses, and multiple scandals. If you like all of that stuff then you should definitely read this book. Just get through the first captor or two and I know that you will love it just as much as I did.
jas and matt 1 1 Jun 02, 2011 09:35AM
  • Sundancer
  • Blind Beauty
  • Firehorse
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • The Outside of a Horse
  • The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
  • Dream of Night
  • The New Class (Chestnut Hill, #1)
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
  • Ghost Horse (Phantom Rider, #1)
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Take the Reins (Canterwood Crest, #1)
Alison Hart is a pseudonym for writer Alice Leonhardt

A Virginia author of over twenty mysteries and historical fiction novels for children and teens, loves “writing books that keep young readers glued to the pages.” At the age of seven she wrote, illustrated and self-published The Wild Dog, a book which she shows to readers to make the point that it is never too early to be an author.
More about Alison Hart...

Shadow Horse (2 books)
  • Whirlwind
A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries) Bell's Star (Horse Diaries, #2) Whirlwind Gabriel's Horses Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)

“That night, Jas wore the only dress she owned.It was made of soft,clingy fabric.The skirt was short, showing off her now tan and muscular legs.When she came down the steps barefoot,Chase's eyes widened in surprise. "Um...what happened to your jeans?" he asked.
"Never mind." Linking her arm with his,she steered him away from the kitchen door."Is Danvers here?"
"In the kitchen standing very close to Miss Hahn,tasting spaghetti sauce."
"Okay.Here's the plan." she lowered her voice."Call him into the living room for something. I'll run up and get the album."
Chase nodded his head with utmost seriousness"And I'll drop the salad."
"Right." He was bent slightly to hear her and without warning, he suddenly angled his head and kissed her. When he pulled back, he was grinning like a little kid."Sorry.I couldn't help myself. It's all this intrigue."
"Right it's the intrigue," Jas repeated, too surprised to say anything else. Her heart was beating like a drum, and when he went into the kitchen, she thumped up the steps, touching her lips. Thinking to herself "Did he really just kiss me?"...........”
2 likes