Plain Jane: Brunettes Beware (Harbinger Mystery, #1)

Plain Jane: Brunettes Beware (Harbinger Mystery #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  889 ratings  ·  187 reviews
A city paralyzed by a serial killer stalking the night, taking a most gruesome trophy. The only standing in the murderer's way is an FBI profiler...recently released from a mental institution.
Published June 1st 2010 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

I. Curmudgeon ("As the Curmudgeon Grumbles")
Lets skip to the end..."Holy freakin ape-shit Batman, I can't believe ...(Shudder)"

Now I know why I lock my doors at night. If you wake up and someone's in your room, it's only 50/50 it's a good guy. This was a good, fun read. I stayed on the edge of my seat and glancing over my shoulder...and I'm not even a Brunette or a Girl!

This is a really good suspence thriller with more twists and turns than a king snake attacking a garden hose. Both of the main characters started off in the dog house wi...more
Kathleen Valentine
I'm not going to rate this because I gave up three chapters into it so it isn't fair to rate it. The author has an extremely annoying (to me) habit of referring to characters in a very odd mixture of references. In the opening chapter she alternated talking about "Joanne" and "the brunette" - it took me to the end of the chapter to figure out they were the same person! In the second chapter she continued this by call a cop alternately by his first name and his last name. In the third chapter she...more
Jennifer Chase
Plain Jane drew me into the story from page one. I would have read the entire book in one day if my schedule permitted. The reader is taken into the dark, disturbing world from a serial killer’s point of view. It grabs hold of you and won’t let go. Not for the squeamish, but you dare not blink if you want to know what happens next.

Kent Harbinger is the department’s profiler and he’s on the trail of the Plain Jane killer. He has a knack for getting into a serial killer’s head, living and breathin...more
L.M. Stull
Jul 11, 2011 L.M. Stull rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: EVERYONE, James Patterson, look out!
I only just received this in the mail yesterday. Before picking up the next book in my huge to-read pile, I gently pulled open the cover and treated myself to the first few pages. It was my intention to only get a flavor of what the story would be like . . . that was an hour ago . . . I'm still reading it. Every page leaves me wanting more, so I turn and keep reading.

One of the most brilliant reads I've had the pleasure of enjoying as of late . . . bravo!

ABSOLUTELY A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE...SER...more
Cristyn West
Jun 12, 2010 Cristyn West rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
First off, this is my book (What? I'm going to give my book less than 5 stars?) and it Rocks. That is if you like James Patterson's Along Came a Spider or Silence of the Lambs.

But don't take my word for it.

Take NYT Top Ten Best Seller James Rollins' (of Altar of Eden and Sigma series fame)word for it......

"Wickedly macabre and blisteringly paced, PLAIN JANE marks the debut of a thriller for the new millennium. Brash, funny, terrifying, and shocking, here is a story best enjoyed with all the lig...more
Will Jacobsen
Tammy ~NovelOpinion
Detective Nicole Usher is desperate. A serial killer is stalking women and has killed over a dozen. These women are special to the killer but Nicole and the rest of her department cannot determine why and have no way of stopping the killings. The killer likes brunettes. Plain, shy and unassuming brunettes are stalked then mutilated for a trophy the killer covets.
No one can know the mind of a killer, unless you are a genius profiler with a talent for doing just that.
Nicole knows that Kent Harbin...more
John
Gritty and effective page-turner of a thriller with the serial killer being triggered by a “type”; in this case, the “plain Jane” brunettes of the title. I was hooked from chapter one, as the killer stalks a potential victim through the city at night, and they pass a crowd gathering outside a cinema showing a rerun of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, the fans of the movie, dressed in-costume for the event, unaware of the real horror in their midst.
There is an added dynamic with the sub-plot of th...more
Indie Books
Jun 19, 2011 Indie Books rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a great read
GREAT read. Grabs hold of you from page one and doesn't let go. The characters are all well-drawn; the plot well laid out; and the suspense was killing me! West's quick pacing & insights into the mind of a serial killer (and profiler) will keep you turning pages long into the night.

Just leave the lights on...
Nancy Black
Non stop action and a huge unforgettable novel. I received the ebook free to review,from Smashwords, and although it has taken me a long time to finish it, It is a huge winner.

The characters pull at your emotions and a few offend your sense of fair play. Nicole Usher is a detective working a serial killer case. Her partner Reuben is a total jerk in my book. Nicole's old partner/lover is the famous Kent Harbinger of profiling fame. Able to solve cases almost instantly.

Kent was following a victim...more
Mrneil98
If you love serial killers with a unique obsession, FBI investigators that flirt with madness and complex romantic relationships then Plain Jane is the book for you. Throw in more twists and turns and surprises and you have an intriguing debut by a promising new thriller writer.

The story centers on Detective Nicole Usher, ex-beau partner Ruben Torres and another ex-beau Kent Harbinger, an expert at profiling, tracking and capturing serial killers. Kent's actions often cross the line but his resu...more
Simon Forward
Some books beggar belief. This one buggers it.

Penned by an author who seems to have enjoyed a few too many serial killer movies and fancied having a go herself, this details the hunt for the eponymous killer who has a habit of removing and collecting the uterus of each of his victims. The author herself states her intention to shock, but really all that follows is a lot of absurdity, ridiculous contrivance and unintentional hilarity.

Demented FBI profiler, Kent Harbinger (I kid you not), is so go...more
Just My Opinion
"Intrigue, Suspense and a whole lot of freaky!"

This is my second novel by Carolyn McCray and I can honestly say; I LOVED this book! I am a huge fan of thrillers and love when you mix a crazed killer with cops and profilers! Between the fast pace, the twist on the typical serial killer profile, the macabre scenes and depictions and the incredibly intricate characters you truly cannot put this book down.

It is very clear that Ms. McCray put quite a bit of thought and planning into this plotline and...more
Jackie Chanel
This book totally freaked me out - in a good way- and made me happy that I'm not a brunette. I don't own a Kindle (yet) but I do have the Kindle app on my Blackberry. I hate reading on it because the screen is too small for my liking but I read this book, from start to finish. I couldn't put it down.

The plot was definitely intriguing. I loved the relationship between Kent and Nicole. The fact that the profiler is definitely a little psycho himself was a great addition to the book. Many books ab...more
Ben Hopkin
This one had me flipping pages until 2 in the morning. I knew when I saw the quote from James Rollins (one of my favorites) that I would get at least my money's worth out of the book, but I had NO idea what laid in store for me.

I pride myself on being able to figure out books with a twist. I could tell from the beginning that this novel had one. The killer is shrouded in mystery. Aha! A challenge.

Two things happened as I read. First, I was so engaged I forgot to try to figure out who did it. Sec...more
Irene Ziegler
This is a tight, sexy crime drama with grit and guts. Meant to be devoured rather than savored, we follow profiler Kent Harbinger through urban landscapes as he stalks potential victims of a particularly unsavory serial killer. Harbinger is a treat: antisocial, belligerent, beguiling and unlawful, he is an irresistible bad boy hero. Lots of romantic tension here, too, as his ex-partner, Nicole the cop, tries desperately to tamp down her attraction in order to apprehend the Plain Jane killer.

I sa...more
Darcia Helle
I'm a little torn on how to rate this book. The good points: The plot was entertaining, fast-paced and had a great twist. The characters were unique. Overall, it kept me turning pages.

My problems: I wanted more from the main characters. I needed some background, bits of their personal lives, emotions, etc., so that their choices and actions would make sense. I wasn't clear on why or how the connection between this one FBI profiler and the particular detective squad originated. FBI and cops are n...more
Rebecca
I do most of my reading while riding my stationary bike so I look for books that have a great pace to them. This one did not let me down!

The story quickly draws you in and places you in the mind of an FBI profiler and the detectives that work with them. The case has a lot of twist and turns and keeps the adrenaline pumping.

I was able to deduce factors about the killer much more quickly than most of the reviewers but that didn't change a thing about the reading because I wasn't sure that I was...more
Ben Langhinrichs
Jul 13, 2010 Ben Langhinrichs rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who is not too squeamish
Plain Jane creeps up on you, making it as hard to put down as it is to outguess. The profiler, Kent, is a disturbing, complex character whose job is to get into the minds of the serial killers he tracks, and he succeeds almost too well. His on-again/off-again relationship with Nicole, a police officer who all too often has to cover for his eccentricities, is a classic case of attraction and repulsion, but you can't help hoping they find a way to get together, if only to read more about their ste...more
Patti
Gruesome for the sake of gruesome, main character that was a real asshole, and seriously, if an FBI profiler (view spoiler), I don't think he'd still be working in law enforcement.

The process of how the serial killer found victims was a little far-fetched. And tossing in random characters who you KNOW are nothing but red herrings is just lazy writing, IMO.

I can't honestly recommend this.
L. Carrington
One of the best crime thrillers I've read in a long time! I actually found this book through another review, and, my curiosity piqued, had to have a read for myself.

Without giving anything away, I will say there's parts that aren't for the faint hearted, but overall, this puts the "thrill" in thriller, and then some! Pick this up and put this among your crime fic reading collection.
Naomi
I really thought I was going to like this book and had wanted to read it for a bit. When I got into it though, it really came across to me as an overly dramatic cop show..like the one from the 1970's and found myself really just wanting to get it read. Had I not had committed to it for a group challenge, I probably would have stopped reading it.
R Scott Steele
This book was really good. It was like a Criminal Minds episode, following the trail of a serial killer. It even had a twist at the end. I have to admit I had trouble with the way she started a new chapter every time she switched viewpoints, but that was just a style thing. Overall it was an excellent read.
Nancy Boone
I was expecting a fun read but nothing special. I got a major surprise. Kent the profiler that did a great job of playing insane and Nicole the cop both going after a serial killer that almost got the both of them. Shocking ending....didn't figure this one out until the very end. Great read.
Tara B
Just awful, though I did make a valiant attempt. I stuck it out and read 34% before I fell asleep last night, but just couldn't pick it up to finish it today.
The main character is a selfish, self absorbed, law breaking smartass. he's also a genius and the most famous profiler. One would think these qualities in a main character would provide some humor or at least keep the reader interested. Not the case with Kent Harbinger, I found him to be repulsive, manipulative, a chauvinist, and just plain...more
Kim
This book was awful. I felt no connection to any of the characters and the plot was so poorly written. Lets forget that the FBI would never keep a profiler on the payroll who is as insane as the killers he is chasing.
L.J. Kentowski
Great psycho thriller! I recommend this book to all those that think they can figure out who the killer is before the end. So many twists and turns, it'll keep you guessing until the VERY LAST PAGE!
Angelle
Loved it! Great Book, looking forward to reading more by her!
Katja
Story: ★★★★★

The police are desperate to capture the serial killer who targets ordinary looking brunettes, harvesting a trophy from them. The profiler asked to help solve the case has very peculiar tactics getting into the killers head, and the other detectives have a hard time understanding or accepting his methods. For one of the detectives, having a history with the profiler, doesn’t make it any easier to try to solve the case.

Even though the book is a traditional mystery/suspense detective st...more
J.
Plain Jane: Brunettes Beware is a lot of things, it is a thriller, it is a mystery, it is a police procedural, it is a romance (dysfunctional as it may be), it is macabre.

It succeeds in most areas... most of the time. Ms. West's writing is a bit uneven, and if you don't give the story a chance to set, you may put it down way to early and give up before the characters are in place. Like a locomotive, it takes time for this book to really get rolling, but once it does, it just barrels along at fas...more
  • Sleep Tight
  • 9th Circle (Darc Murders, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Fool Me Twice
  • The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)
  • Huntress Moon (Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • The Dead Room
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • In the Belly of Jonah (A Liv Bergen Mystery #1)
  • Innocent Monster
  • Night Corridor
  • The Last Call (Bill Travis Mysteries, #1)
  • Eyewall
  • As the Crow Dies
  • The Blade
  • Liquid Lies
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Disturbed Earth
I find catching serial killers (on paper of course), well... fun.

Do you really need to know anything more about me?

Ok, fine, I am also a veterinarian (for real, not just in my own head like the serial killer thing) and I find the thought of having a romance with a homo chiroptera pretty hot.

See? I told you, you didn't want to know anything else!

For the holidays I am giving away my Patterson-style...more
More about Cristyn West...
All Hallow's Eve Rook The Evil Within Full Body Contact: Is he a fighter or a killer?

“The opposite sidewalk filled with Tim Curry wannabes and enough black leather and red velvet to choke a transvestite.” 0 likes