Start by marking “How to Write about Africa” as Want to Read:
How to Write about Africa

How to Write about Africa

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This trio of sharp-witted essays takes irony to a new level. In 'How to Write About Africa', Wainaina dissects the cliché of Africa and the preconceptions dear to western writers and readers with ruthless precision. In the same fashion, ‘My Clan KC’ undresses the layers of meaning shrouding the identity of the infamous Kenya Cowboy, while ‘Power of Love’ bemusedly recollec ...more
Published 2006 by Kwani Trust

To ask other readers questions about How to Write about Africa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write about Africa

Mattilda
How could you not love a book with this title that starts, "Some tips: sunsets and starvation are good."
Conor
Using brutal satire, Wainaina absolutely eviscerates cliched Western journalism about Africa and the self-serving mentality of many of those who want to "help." And all in just a few small pages! Genius booklet that all Westerners dealing with Africa should read, even if it hurts us a little.
Beth78
Aug 13, 2012 Beth78 added it
Sharp-witted and sarcastic look at how Africa is viewed by the rest of the world. This collection of essays made me laugh at how wrong Eurocentric views of Africa are. A must read for those interested in a satirical look at books written by non-Europeans.
Anna
Bright, smart, savage, and in a beautiful mini-book design.
Achieng Onguru
Short and sweet! Here I was thinking 'I Dreamed Of Africa' was the most awesome piece of literature Ha!
Patti Greene
This was an interesting little booklet! I enjoyed the part about writing about Africa, but then the book veered into talking about Kenya and Kenyans without any note on the front or back cover about covering Kenya. I was really looking for information about Africa in general! However, the author sounds witty and brilliant-I would love to meet him.
Alfons
Ha, Ha but with sadness.
The parallels between his essay and history within America or for the matter oppressed groups and the oppressors is frightening and IMO true. Self serving across the board and highlights ignorance of the general populace.
Must read and one should take the time to reflect on the subject matter.
Robykeem
A sarcastic book towards foreign writers who are looking to write about the African continent.
It addresses the usual cliches applied by those who've already written about the continent.
Hard hitting.
Ifeyinwa
I gave it 4 stars because I was only interested in reading the article 'how to write about africa', which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Erin
A thousand stars.
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Alyssa Baylor
Alyssa Baylor marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Frans-jan
Frans-jan marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Njoki Kuria
Njoki Kuria marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Rosaria Tirone
Rosaria Tirone marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
G
G marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Peluso
Peluso marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Kaajal
Kaajal marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Don Opio
Don Opio marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Nov 06, 2014
Rahma
Rahma marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Odus
Odus marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Niya B
Niya B marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Trevor Gitau
Trevor Gitau marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Discourse on Colonialism
  • Mémoires de porc-épic
  • Writing Beyond Race: Living Theory and Practice
  • God's Bits of Wood
Binyavanga Wainaina is a short story writer, essayist, and journalist.

He is the founding editor of Kwani?, a leading African literary magazine based in Kenya, and he directs the Chinua Achebe Center for African Writers and Artists at Bard College.

He won the 2002 Caine Prize for African Writing, and has written for many journals, including Vanity Fair, National Geographic, One Story, Tin House, Vir
More about Binyavanga Wainaina...
One Day I Will Write About This Place: A Memoir Discovering Home Beyond the River Yei: Life in the Land Where Sleeping Is a Disease Kwani? 03 Kwani? 04