Start by marking “Ultimate Comics Iron Man: Armor Wars” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics Iron Man: Armor Wars

Ultimate Comics Iron Man: Armor Wars (Ultimate Marvel)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Exploding from the ruins of ULTIMATUM, Tony Stark races against time to save his crippled corporation and stop the theft of his armored arsenal! Superstar writer WARREN ELLIS (ULTIMATE HUMAN) teams up with rising talent STEVE KURTH (IRON MAN) to bring you a globe-spanning, high-octane thriller with a blast from Tony's past that you've gotta see to believe! COLLECTING: Ulti ...more
Published October 13th 2010 by Marvel (first published January 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics Iron Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics Iron Man

Sam Quixote
The world has been devastated by war and economic collapse and poor Tony Stark is down to his last $100 million! Going back to his ruined New York offices, he sees a thief wearing part of an Iron Man armor break into his offices and disappear! Then a mysterious girl also wearing Iron Man armor shows up to help catch the thief. Suddenly the race is on for Stark to stop his armor from falling into the wrong hands!

As you might tell from the title, Armor Wars has a lotta guys wearing Iron Man suits
Nicolo Yu
Warren Ellis really knows how to write Ton Stark, whether in the regular Marvel Universe or the Ultimate version. His Stark is suave, super-smart, wealthy and a visionary. The only difference between regular and Ultimate flavors is that the latter is still an inveterate alcoholic.

It wasn’t too much if a stretch for Ellis to write this Iron Man. But the character’s circumstances have changed much from the first time I encountered him on Millar and Hitch’s Ultimates. The aftermath of Ultimatum cri
Milo (Bane of Kings)
"Iron Man: Armour Wars is a fun, action-packed and brilliantly entertaining graphic novel that should not be missed for fans of Tony Stark."

Exploding from the ruins of ULTIMATUM, Tony Stark races against time to save his crippled corporation and stop the theft of his armoured arsenal! Superstar writer WARREN ELLIS (ULTIMATE HUMAN) teams up with rising talent STEVE KURTH (IRON MAN) to bring you a globe-spanning, high-octane thriller with a blast from Tony’s past that you’ve gotta see to believ
Alan
Yes, Warren Ellis has his faults as a writer. Fortunately, his work for hire work avoids the pitfalls of much of his creator owned work. Marvel Comics hired him to re-imagine the classic Armor War tale for their Ultimate line. The portrayal of Tony Stark is dead on for this version of the character, and the underlying cynical humor fits my taste. There is one big reveal that we can all see coming from light years away, but it didn't distract too much from my enjoyment of the tale.

Ellis does what
Maurice Carlos Ruffin
[From about age nine until about age fourteen I was a card-carrying comic book fanatic. Ma brought me to Bookworm Comics every Wednesday. Ms. Pauline, the store's elderly owner, maintained a folder with my name on it behind the counter. From the moment I finished reading my purchases from the previous week, I daydreamed about what would happen next in the complex lives of the Uncanny X-Men, Captain America, and dozens of other characters in colorful costumes. Although, I grew out of that phase, ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Quite enjoyable. I was able to jump right in and get the swing of things without feeling lost. Though I did predict some of the ending, particularly pertaining to one character.
Stephen
The speculative fiction aspect of this book was okay. But it was the story itself that was the problem. While I did figure out how Tony Stark's DNA lock was cracked, leading to his technology being used to oppress people, that was all I was able to guess. The rest of this thing was thing was all over the place. Nanobots, mini MODOCs in a human shell, a bunch of nearly mute/generic guys in armor...and a slightly unpleasant ending surprise that I would hate to spoil...it all adds up to a hot mess ...more
Mike
Popcorn tale from my favourite writer. Imaginative ideas, fast-paces tale, but somehow made me feel like "is that it?" when it was over.
Sean
Apr 09, 2015 Sean rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvel completists
The greatest thing about the Ultimate Universe is that great ideas can be re-imagined and modernized, while becoming a different kind of great. Here Ultimate Tony Stark, who is almost unlikable, is dealing with one of the coolest ideas from the regular universe, armor wars, and it falls woefully short of the original. The obvious double cross, lackluster villains, insanely bad familial connection, and random globetrotting lead to phoned in revision that seems completely unnecessary. The bright s ...more
Sineala
It's Armor Wars, Ults-style!

I am reading a semi-random selection of Ultimate Marvel stories in approximately chronological order and this is the first one I have actually really enjoyed. As in Armor Wars, Tony's tech is stolen and misused and he has to track down the people behind it. (I will forgive Warren Ellis for not including the Cap cameo that is, let's be honest, really the high point of the original Armor Wars.

This is Ults Tony drinking, shooting people, drinking more, and being betrayed
Sorcha
In the wake of devastation brought on by Ultimatum, Earth has become a harsh place to live. Most of the world's heroes are dead or missing. New York, once the capital of the world, is now a waterlogged husk of it's former self.

But Iron Man remains vigilant. Until, that is, he learns that his advanced technology has been stolen by the Ghost, a corporate mercenary with his own modified suit of armour.

And matters go from bad to worse when Justine Hammer, the daughter of one of Tony's rivals tells S
Myles
Deciding not to skirt around the issue of a Manhattan still layered with dead people and all the debris you'd expect if New York Harbor suddenly washed over the city, Warren Ellis has Tony Stark be one of the first to enter the city since the 'Ultimatum Wave'.

In doing so he discovers that a substantial amount of Iron Man tech has been stolen and sold in the seedy super-criminal/weirdo/crazy underworld. Along for the ride is Justine Hammer, the daughter of, you guessed it, Justin Hammer, who was
Artur Coelho
Um registo muito morno para Warren Ellis. Nesta série do universo Ultimate um alcoólico e mulherengo Homem de Ferro luta contra versões da sua armadura, roubadas por hackers do submundo super-criminoso e adaptadas para fins imprevistos. Acompanhado por uma bela criminosa com poderes nanotecnológicos um Tony Stark em pré-falência saltita pela Europa no jacto particular, adiciona a companheira ao clube da milha e vai derrotando diferentes versões da sua armadura até ao inevitável confronto final c ...more
Andy
I got this way back at the time I got the other Ultimate Iron Man trades and after the general lack of enthusiasm I felt about those I sat on this for a while. Today I felt like something light and easy to distract from the devastating earthquake up in Christchurch at lunch time. Forgetting of course that this starts immediately after the Ultimatum aftermath.

It's definitely a light read and clearly Tony doesn't let major destruction ruin his day (or indeed make him think that maybe he should be
Michael
Ultimate Armor Wars, I think not. Ultimate Day in the Life of Iron Man is better. I mean seriously, the premise of the book is enough to know everything except the last 6 pages. But even Warren Ellis on autopilot is good entertainment, and those last 6 pages are a doozy.
Diana
Well. Wsn't a gread read. The ending was great, though. But the ride wasn't worth it. Kind of boring, it keep throwing things in the way without much coherence, at least for me. The ending surprises you and that is what makes me give it a two stars review instead of one.
Kevin Hull
Fast moving, somewhat twisted Iron Man yarn from Warren Ellis. Nothing too special, but the ending is particularly powerful.
Dan
I liked this much better than previous volumes. Interesting ending,and I didn't see that coming.
Sean Brennan
Must admit I have a real soft spot for The Ultimate Tony Stark! Mighty Fine!
Mely
This is a really quite good short series about Tony Stark's interaction with a screwed-over genetically enhanced superwoman up until the final chapter, which culminates in not one but two absolutely ridiculous revelations, and then focuses entirely on Tony's not inconsiderable man pain -- a pretty big come-down from the opening, which focuses more on the huge devastation wrought by a recent apocalypse from series I did not read or did read but do not remember because it was completely overwrough ...more
Ted Child
Ellis not doing anything too serious here. As always I find it annoying when Ellis geeks-out like in the first issue. The second issue is a bunch of one-liners that sometimes work and sometimes fall flat. And in typical Ellis fashion by the end of the book he has turned it all around to write something very interesting and good. Would Ellis be better, like over the top good, if his output was a little less, if he focused his genius a little more sharply, I can never decide.
Andrew
Ultimate Iron Man: Armor Wars
By Ellis and Kurth

This story takes place after the events in Ultimatum, which left New York flooded. The story is about Tony stark (Iron Man) who is fighting to get his stolen Iron Man technology and destroy it. He feels that if his technology is used by the wrong people it could do a lot of harm to innocent people.

I would recommend this too people that like lots of action

Joe Odran Doran
A good story with great art, that captures the duality of Tony Stark brilliantly by contrasting his witty alcoholic exterior with his inner deep loneliness.

Plots gets a bit silly at times for my taste, and some of the twists seem a little too out of the blue, but they don't hinder the presentation of Tony at all, and that's what a one-shot is all about really, isn't it, developing that one character.
James Hurley
As graphic novels go, the art was better than the story. There was some potential to the story, but it seemed to force the relationship between Stark and the Hammer character. A page or two more of development of that relationship would have made the ending more poignant. Instead, it fell flat as melodrama. Still, as a bargain book at books a million, it was worth the three or four bucks.
Joe
It was okay.
ANother Ulimate Universe title that I feel suffered from "short-attention span" writing.
We, the reader are asked to follow a slightly disjointed story with big verbal gaps and odd page arrangements.
Yet still okay...[I guess]
Hrishi
I didn't like the reveal about the villain of the piece (too contrived) but the art was great and the story gripping till the end. Leaves Tony Stark in a very interesting place at the end
Brent
Oct 06, 2014 Brent rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Warren Ellis
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
The great, warped sf style of Warren Ellis is well-suited for this brief superhero fight saga set in the Marvel Ultimate line.
Well-suited art, too!
Recommended.
Stu West
"Tony Stark hunts down his stolen technology" is a pretty good premise, but this take on it suffers from some stiff art and a phoned-in job from Ellis. Passes the time.
Indah Threez Lestari
The plot is too light, the ending is too easy. But it's okay if you wanna read something without much thinking.
Peter C
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Vol. 1
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 7: My Monsters
  • X-Factor, Vol. 11: Happenings in Vegas
  • Captain America: The Chosen
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...

Ultimate Marvel (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 3: Double Trouble
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 3: World Tour
  • The Ultimates, Vol. 1: Super-Human
  • Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, Vol. 3
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)