Start by marking “Over de liefde” as Want to Read:
Over de liefde

Stendhal

Over de liefde

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  775 ratings  ·  39 reviews
This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'd book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We be ...more
Published 1981 by De Bezige Bij (first published 1822)

To ask other readers questions about Over de liefde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over de liefde

David
At first I really loved Stendhal's essays on Love. His theory is that the pains of love are necessary in order to "crystallize" the object of one's love, which basically is a process of transcendence from the real to the ideal, a state which is necessary in real, passionate love. Furthermore, Stendhal dissects love into a number of classifications which range the gambit from passionate romantic love to egotistic physical love to mannered love, etc. It is these meandering discussions of love, wha ...more
Sketchbook
Stendhal exorcised his unrequited love for a Milanese
beauty w this philosophical buffet-chaud. Does he grump
or whine? He's too civilized. He offers no practical lessons
but rather extravagant literary exercises. With his awareness
of life's absurdities and human imperfections (including his own),
he presents - most seriously - worldly ideas on intimacy,
jealousy, pride and national differences. Americans : "They are
just, they are rational but they are not at all happy. Is the
Bible - or rather the a
Jane
Mar 14, 2007 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: smitten kittens
If your fires of classical romance need fanning, turn to this gem. This is one of those books that can convince you of humanity's pervading spirit; the timelessness of emotions and experiences that in the moment seem so seethingly personal, yet to discover that they are shared, almost exactly, by others who lived hundreds of years before you.... I am only giving it 4 stars to prove that I can review something without giving it 5 stars but this book probably deserves all of them because it can be ...more
Tatiana
A scientific research, called "On Love" by Stendhal is presenting love in all forms, such as Passion, Desire, Jealousy, Courtesy, Platonic, Savage and Pure. He crystallized all stages through his own experience, tormented by a going astray love affair. It's a bible of love!
Tristan
Not a book you have to read all at once. Neither do I feel there is a need to read it in a chronological fashion. Stendhal does a good job analysing the very difficult subject that is love. Particularly amusing is concerning the love life of nations. Here France, Italy, Spain, England and Germany are some of his examples.
Maybe a bit stereotypical, but definitely some truths in his observations!

There is a section called various fragments that consist of quotes, anecdotes which is very interestin
Eduardo Pereira
Havia no tempo de Stendhal minas de sal em Salzburgo. Qualquer corpo estranho, como um ramo seco, que viesse a cair na salina, acabava por perder a forma inicial e cristalizava. Ficava irreconhecível. Assim S. associa o amor, em seus efeitos no nosso psiquismo, à uma espécie de cristalização. Para além de seu êxtase originário, desconfiança, ciúme, insegurança, mesmo decepções (o impressionante capítulo "Da diferença do amor nos dois sexos"), fazem parte da maturação desse sentimento (o caso da ...more
Howard Olsen
This is a work belongs with Stendhal's works of social and cultural criticism, rather than his brilliant noves. Regardless, all of the qualities he brings to his fiction are present here-irony, psychological acuity, poetry, satire, radical politics, etc. "On Love" is not a roses-and-candlelight affair, nor is it a 19th century version of "How to Pick Up Girls." Stendhal is interested in the psychology of love, especially the question of what makes someone focus their passion on a particular man ...more
Zach
Oh, what a fool I have been to wait so long to reread this book!

Here are the closing lines to chapter 39A (Antidotes to Love), Book One, which though too obscure in their brevity to allow for any true appreciation, still may be enticing enough to persuade those who, unknowingly, actually long to pick up this book.

The reason that it is so difficult to forget a woman with whom one has been happy is that there are certain moments which the imagination cannot tire of picturing and embellishing.
I w
Sunny
i though this was brilliant. the author uses teh effect of crystallization to descibe the bejewelling (word?) effect of love on the person you love. he gives some really startling examples of how people can get fascinated with the feeling that loves gives them and find it difficult to dichotomize that from the person they are supposed to be loving. this is the type of you snhould read at 18 because it makes you realise a hundred things you probbaly acknowledge when you turn 30. although he goes ...more
Morgan
Many truths in this book, but the pain was still there when I finished.
Deborah
A witty book with lots to chew on.

Marie Henri Beyle, known through his writings as Stendhal, was born in Grenoble in 1793. He followed Napoleon’s campaigns in Italy, Germany, Russia and Austria. In between wars, he spent his time in Paris drawing-rooms and theaters.

After the fall of Napoleon, he retired to Italy, adopted his pseudonym and started to write books on Italian painting, Haydn and Mozart, and travels in Italy. He left Italy in 1821 due to the political situation, and returned to Paris
Octavian
I consider this book a history of love, because Stendhal draws his conclusions on one hand form the multiple ideas that were expressed in different ages of the past and on the other from his own experiences. This, I think, is the only way you can explain love; you experience it, you create your own explanations and when you get to a point where you don't understand what is happening, you go back in time to see how others saw it. Everybody knows how hard it is to express feelings and how hard it ...more
Kate Savage
All my favorite French authors gush about Stendhal, so I gave him another chance.

I still may be a bit underwhelmed by this plotless hodgepodge of ideas. This doesn't mean I'm not charmed by Stendhal. Maybe even a little seduced. Stendhal's belief in equality and justice doesn't come from dry politics, but from an impulse toward pleasure and joy. He wants everyone to enjoy leisure and education because then you can be in raptures together over Shakespeare and cumulonimbus clouds. Outlaw the educa
Olga Vallinsgren
I think this is essential reading in the topic of love, or passionate love more precisely. No matter how much you think you know already, the insights in this book will still fascinate you.
Kaylee
"There is no Italian word for small talk. You speak when you have something to say in the cause of a passion, and only rarely for the sake of making random conversation."

Love is completely riddled with amazing statements like that.

I won't pretend to have loved this more than I really did; I found it difficult to stay engaged at times, and felt like I missed more than I would have liked simply due to untranslated phrases or references.

Still, what I did comprehend, I enjoyed immensely. The satiri
Donald
"That you should be made a fool of by a young woman, why, it is many an honest man's case." (The Pirate, vol. III, page 77)...
Tony
LOVE. (1822). Stendhal. **.
Marie Henri Beyle (a.k.a. Stendhal) was born in Grenoble in 1783 and died in 1842 after suffering a stroke. Most of his life was spent as a political correspondent, but he managed to fit in quite a bit of writing on his own behalf – mostly lives of musicians and travel books. This book was called his first novel, although it is certainly not a novel. It reminds me more of Burton’s “Anatomy of Melancholy” than of any novel I can think of. offhand. “Stendhal always cons
Anamaria
Jun 20, 2012 Anamaria rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in love,
Patrick
Hilarious and perceptive thoughts on the madness of love. Stendhal has one striking metaphor, crystallization, to describe the process, and then it's one telling anecdote after another about passionate love, mannered love, the habits of various nationalities in love, and, above all, Stendhal's accounts of his own failings and his compassion for those of others.
Wes Zickau
Interesting and erroneous. Stendhal seems incapable of deciding the mode of the writing itself: witty, playful criticism, or serious social and philosophical inquiry. The prose is well crafted, but "wobbles" between these two modes, rendering the lot of it structurally unsound.
Ainsley
When mourning a lost relationship, some people keep it to themselves, others vent about it to their friends and family. Jilted by Mme. Dembowski, Stendhal went away and wrote some marvelous meditations about being in love. Less marvelous and more sobering are the included essays on the waste of educating women and slaves. Charming. Another reason to buy this book is the inspired inclusion of Ingres The Comtesse d'Haussonville for the cover.
Adel
"Omul prudent se poarta banuitor, intruna.
de aceea-s multi amanti ce mint si pacalesc,
Iar doamnele rugate ii lasa totdeauna
Amarnic sa suspine pe cei ce le slujesc
Si care niciodata n-au folosit minciuna.
Pretul comorii insa de ele daruita,
Doar inima il stie, care a patruns in rai;
Cu cat costa mai scump, cu atat e mai dorita
Din gloria iubirii nu merita cat dai."

Cam generalizeaza uneori, dar merita citita ;)
Dora
"Do Amor", do Stendhal, foi-me recomendado como "o" livro sobre o enamoramento e posso dizer que correspondeu inteiramente à expectativa que me haviam criado. Desde De Rougemont, com "O Amor e o Ociente", até a Sartre com "O Ser e o Nada", nunca li nada que descrevesse em tão diversas perspectivas o fenómeno que é o Enamoramento. Para quem se possa interessar por este tipo de assunto, recomendo vivamente "Do Amor".
Andy
Sure, the language is sometimes flowery and the sexual politics dated, but over the years (and social classes) there are some things about love that never change, and every once in a while Stendhal has identified and interpreted them.
I didn't find this a great book. But it's one of those I'm glad I read.
Peter
I enjoyed "Love". Its well written and insightful. I don't agree with everything he says, but that doesn't matter. His views on romantic love amongst the different nations (particularly his native France) are especially amusing. It feels a little dry in places, but its certainly been worth the read.
Gabriel
Has a great description of love as crystalization of an otherwise ordinary person. It gets tedious at some point, when he starts going into love in different geographical regions for example, but is worth reading if you're the sort has watched When Harry Met Sally over and over again.
Cathy
I'm so happy to be done with this. I can't imagine anyone, even in the 19th Century, could take most of what was written to heart and think it actual philosophy. Half of what he was on about he had to pull out of his rear.
Mandy
Stendhal unternimmt mithilfe von Poesie in diesen kleinen Essays den Versuch, die (seine) Liebe zu erklären: Philosophisch, subjektiv, symptomatisch, leidenschaftlich … und so manches Mal einfach nur nüchtern ironisch.
Richard
I still don't have a girlfriend, but then it was never marketed as a self-help book. I am consoled by knowing that as of 1822 this could already be said of the United States: "love there has become impossible."
Pete
Jun 16, 2008 Pete rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL YOU ALL
Recommended to Pete by: god
straight business. this shit is crucial. you have to take the pseudopsychiatric misogyny for what it is. liberation theology for the culturally libertarian dude soul. stendhal: keep your shit straight.
Want some answers.... 1 14 Apr 14, 2010 11:49PM
  • Rules for the Direction of the Mind
  • Introduction to Positive Philosophy. 1988 Paperback Reprint Ed Paperback
  • Elements of Chemistry
  • On the Nature of the Gods. Academics
  • The Joy of Life (Les Rougon-Macquart, #12)
  • Hippocratic Writings
  • The Concept of Irony/Schelling Lecture Notes (Kierkegaard's Writings, Volume 2)
  • Athalie
Henri-Marie Beyle , better known by his pen name Stendhal , was a 19th-century French writer. Known for his acute analysis of his characters' psychology, he is considered one of the earliest and foremost practitioners of realism in his two novels Le Rouge et le Noir (The Red and the Black, 1830) and La Chartreuse de Parme (The Charterhouse of Parma, 1839).
More about Stendhal...
The Red and the Black The Charterhouse of Parma Le Rouge Et Le Noir Armance Lucien Leuwen

“There are as many styles of beauty as there are visions of happiness.” 25 likes
“A man may meet a woman and be shocked by her ugliness. Soon, if she is natural and unaffected, her expression makes him overlook the faults of her features. He begins to find her charming, it enters his head that she might be loved, and a week later he is living in hope. The following week he has been snubbed into despair, and the week afterwards he has gone mad. (Chapter 17)” 8 likes