Start by marking “What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)” as Want to Read:
What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)

What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green #5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  5,599 ratings  ·  455 reviews
For years, he's been an object of fear, fascination . . . and fantasy. But of all the wicked rumors that shadow the formidable Alexander Moncrieffe, Duke of Falconbridge, the ton knows one thing for certain: only fools dare cross him. And when Ian Eversea does just that, Moncrieffe knows the perfect revenge: he'll seduce Ian's innocent sister, Genevieve—the only Eversea as...more
Published February 22nd 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about What I Did For a Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Did For a Duke

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
16th out of 384 books — 812 voters
The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
11th out of 337 books — 506 voters

More lists with this book...

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
What I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long: a wonderfully interesting and utterly original 5 star read.

Welp, I can honestly say I do not know exactly how I'm going to go about explaining this book. While the cover and description make it seem very much unoriginal what lies within the pages is crazy refreshing.

At first , upon hearing the stupid revenge plot that the hero had involving the heroines ...I promptly felt like

Then I encountered the fact that there is a love triangle, though it really is...more
Heather
What I Did for a Duke was a surprise hit for me. I expected that I might consider it “alright,” but it ended up being amazing. The duke – so noble, so above those who love and who FEEL - ends up becoming so human. He was so much fun to read, with his dry wit, his sense of humor over catching his fiancé in flagrante delicto and continuing to torment Ian. When Alexander and Genevieve meet, I could feel the chemistry and tension. I loved his surprise that she wasn’t fawning over him, and I apprecia...more
Shawna
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is an enjoyable, engaging, and utterly romantic read with charming, multifaceted characters, intelligent dialogue, witty repartee, hot sexual tension, the right amount of humor and emotion, and very steamy love scenes. It’s my first read by Julie Anne Long, but it definitely won’t be my last. And it’s certainly sparked my interest in reading the other books in her Pennyroyal Green series. 5 stars.
MelissaB
I enjoyed the writing style of the author and I liked both main characters, especially the sardonic hero. But I had a big problem with the fact the heroine fancied herself in love with another man for way way too long in the story. The ending was nice but I had trouble trusting the heroine to know her own feelings when it took her so long to figure things out. But if I took away that annoyance, the author showed a lot of promise.
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
I really like this book. A lot. I would have given it 5 stars instead of 4.5 but Genevieve kinda annoyed the heck out of me towards the end of the book. The ending, however, more than made up for it. Swoon, swoon, swoon is all I can say. And I fell head over heels in love with the Duke. I absolutely love his character.
Audrey
I was so so so tempted to bump this one up to a five, but I ultimately chose a four because I don't love the heroine enough to give it a five. Alex (the titular duke) is perfect - stoic, enigmatic, complex, confident, and a little cold such that when he cracks a little over his emotions for Genevieve (our heroine), it's swoon-worthy. He was just a wonderful H, and, despite his bold words, he carried his seduction out with such finesse and grace that I sat here wide-eyed, waiting to see what woul...more
Wicked Incognito Now
I am utterly delighted by this historical romance for a number of reasons. My first reason is that I often feel close to being completely done with
romances altogether. I'm just so over the same tired storylines. I've always loved historical romances because they are comfortable. The
19th Century English setting is so familiar that it's almost like putting on a comfy t-shirt. But there seems to be very little room for variation in these
plots. I've gotten to where I don't even finish most of the...more
Zumbagirl
I loved this! It kind of reminded me of The Notebook (probably due to the love triangle). This is officially my favorite Julie Anne Long book and my favorite older man/younger woman trope. The revenge aspect was resolved quite quickly, thankfully (there was a lot of humor because of this "revenge" that Alex was going to exact against Ian).

Genevieve and Alex were such a great couple - even if they both fought it for a little too long. The beginning of this was a tiny bit slow going - but once it...more
Cheryl
Jul 12, 2011 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Cheryl by: Barbara
FABULOUS book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED every minute of this book. Seriously. Every. Minute.

I totally went against my own rules and read this book out of order, because:
1) I have read one other book in this series, #2, and felt fine reading that one out of order, so I assumed the same would be with this book.
2) It sounded AMAZING and I was feeling rather impatient and didn't want to read the entire series to get to this one!

BUT, if I could do it over again I think I would start at the beginni...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I absolutely loved this book. It was a surprise as I hadn't read this author before and judging by the name of the book, I wasn't thinking it would be anything out of the ordinary. I was wrong. I will always remember this book as it made me feel very emotional.

The book opens with the H catching the h's brother climbing in a window in London to jump into his fiancee's bed. Rather than the H calling the brother out, he told him to expect some revenge in the future, leaving it up in the air.

Some t...more
Mitzi
This is a story of a young woman that discovers that passion has much more to do with love than a life long friendship she ‘thought’ was love.

Genevieve is young and thinks she is in love with her best friend Harry, only Harry has just told her that he intends to propose marriage to Genevieve’s best friend Millicent.

Ian, Genevieve’s brother, has just been caught in bed with Abigail, the fiancée of the Duke of Falconbridge (a man known for being ruthless).

The Duke of Falconbridge is older (has gr...more
Erika

I always love the way it feels after reading a great romance book!

I decided to read What I Did For a Duke after I saw it on Amazon as one of ten best romance books of 2011. I totally agree with it.

It makes me happy if a romance book with an ordinary theme turns to be an extraordinary romance. Something as ordinary as love triangle usually wouldn't have my attention. But Julie Anne Long packed it with very interesting romance, smart characters, and what a lovely writing style.

Genevieve Eversea,...more
Tina
"Would you like to see my...sketches?" She asked it with eyes downcast, peering flirtatiously up at him through her lashes.

Her sketches?

Was he being propositioned in a crowded salon? Did she intend to lure him up to her chamber? Did he mind?

"Show me your sketches, Lady Blankenship," he said softly with a smile reserved for innuendo.

She instantly reached down behind the settee behind her and produced, to his astonishment, a sketchbook and handed it to him.

"Go on," she urged on a whisper. "Tell me
Christy
Just bleah. Not well written (for example, she clearly doesn't know what enervate means, since she uses it twice to mean energize), uninteresting characters, no chemistry between the leads and a ridiculous looking retread cover (see Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3) by Suzanne Enoch). I am astonished by the 5 star reviews.
Dija
Dec 08, 2012 Dija rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dija by: CrazyPenguinLady
Such a perfect, beautiful, heart-warming romance. The only one of the series I've read, but I might have to go back to book 1 and rectify that considering how much I enjoyed this.
Kinga
Bad Dukes need love, too.

How insipid and flat everything seems after reading this book.
It is mostly about gambling, and the Duke is the biggest gambler of them all. You suck the air in and say: gambling is bad. But let me ask you: how would we feel anything, if it weren’t for gambling? And if you excuse a cheap cliché - passionate love is a gamble. Friendship is good and right. It’s like hard work, it’s worthwhile and admirable and it will never make you a millionaire overnight.
And if there is...more
Kathleen
Mar 03, 2011 Kathleen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: KarenH Shel
Recommended to Kathleen by: AJ
I LOVED this book. The story had a flow of words that were so fantastic from start to finish.
This story took place almost in one setting and had no action. Most of the story was the characters talking. I'm completely amazed by how this book grabbed me under these circumstances. It had some LOL moments and heartfelt ones too.
I really liked both the H&h characters in this book and the way they interacted with each others. The heat level was very low until the last 1/4 of the book and then it s...more
Nana
I'm so glad I picked this up! I am taken with Genevieve and Alex- I can't stop pining over them. MMH YES. They're both clever people and they deserve each other. When I read the overview of the story I was actually praying it's not another story that's mainly built upon vengeance (that somehow fades away because the ~revenger gets to love the girl -insert eyeroll-)
I was elated to learn that in fact, the entire revenge of Alex against Genevieve's brother is taken aside before we even get to the m...more
Colleen
O-M-G, what a book! Totally LOVED it! Really, the best of the entire series and finally, an epilogue!!! Yay!!! I just loved Alex and Genevieve so much and so happy to see everything work out in the end (had a few heart palpitations there for awhile).

Is the end of the series? Not all of Everseas and Redmonds are married though and she can't leave us hanging on what happens with Olivia and Lyon!?!?
Beanbag Love
This ... is more like it.

Having not enjoyed the previous installment of Long's Pennyroyal Green series I began this one with some trepidation. But my worries were not founded as the magic had returned. Fewer typos too so I guess the publisher pulled it together as well.

This story was fun, especially in that it starts with one well-worn trope and suddenly and unexpectedly slingshots to another. What I loved about that sudden change was that it was completely organic and came about in a way that I...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: February 22, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website: http://www.julieannelong.com/
My Source for This Book: Amazon.com
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 5, Pennyroyal Green
Series Best Read In Order: Worked well as a standalone
Steam Level: Hot

When Ian Eversea is caught with his pants down — literally — by the Duke of Falconbridge, in the bedroom of Falconbridge’s fiance...more
Viohlet
kilty
Wicked good!

4 stars for the romance, 5 stars for the creative writing ..and creativity always wins!

A vivid painting of characters and their feelings..it was all in the details..oh! the delicious details and observations..It was like figuring out the complexity and meaning behind an artwork instead of dismissing it as "pretty" with its profusion of shapes and colors.

Simple observations..yet so much thought in them. When the hero finds his cheating fiancée in bed with another man instead of call...more
Miranda Davis
2.5 stars. Julie Ann Long is a wonderful author and I’ve really enjoyed her other books. This was a treat: in that it was free and mostly fun to read. But there was something off-key in the heroine’s behavior that made me begrudge her the love of the duke in the end.

The story involves a clever, purportedly kind, young woman heartbroken by a young man she’s loved all her life and the much older, colder-seeming duke who intends her ruin as revenge for her brother’s misdeeds. Touched by her gallant...more
♡Karlyn P♡
Amazon just delivered to my Kindle! Woo hoo!! Love Tuesdays!!
VampFanGirl
4.5 STARS!!!

My Review:

The Plot:

When provoked, Alexander Moncreiffe, the dark and dangerous Duke of Falconbridge, will not rest until the score is settled. And when Moncreiffe, a man who's happened to make revenge practically an art form, is cuckold by good 'ole boy, Ian Eversea, well it'll be an eye-for-an-eye showdown that's bound to knock the ton on its gilded arse. After all, a man such as Moncreiffe has a chillingly lethal reputation to uphold and Ian Eversea should have known the deadly res...more
Mimi Smith

And what was love if not a certain pleasantly deluded familiarity built up over years? If not a set of personal attributes set fire by imagination, the way, for an instance, one can look up at a night sky and see not just a random scattering of bright stars, but an enormous Starry Plough?
Well, wasn’t it? He was certain he’d known once what love meant. He didn’t know anymore. But he had meant to try.

And thus begins our story. With a man who had loved, lost, earned a certain reputation an...more
Caroline The HEA Lover
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

What I Did for a Duke is the 5th book in the Pennyroyal Green series. I haven't read the previous books, and in fact this is the 1st book I read from this author but it won't be the last. I can't wait to read the previous books. What a funny and moving story. I am already planning on re-reading it as soon as I my print copy arrives. This book will go straight to my Keep-Forever Shelf.

From the very first chapter I knew I would love the hero, Alexande...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
What I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long was a nice refresher from some of the less engaging historical romance novels I’ve been picking up lately. The characters were fascinating and the plot vastly amusing. This is the first book I’ve read by Julie Anne Long (despite the fact that it is the fifth in a series), but it certainly won’t be my last.

Genevieve Eversea has a giant target painted on her back – and she doesn’t even know it yet. The Duke of Falconbridge is determined to seduce her in ord...more
Jana
Book, please be merciful for I am exhausted. I am utterly exhausted of thinking of you, sleeping with you, going through heartbreak, for finding myself in your bloodstream, for denying you because you made me sob, for falling helplessly in love.

Helplessly.

Book, please, you bastard book.

You truly are a bastard book for giving my character another shadow, another corner, angle that deepened me and shaped me further.

If people actually behaved, thought, planned and talked and loved like this, wha...more
  • Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Not Quite a Husband
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
20987
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it...more
More about Julie Anne Long...
How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6) The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1) Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2) I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4) A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)

“A proper kiss, Miss Eversea, should turn you inside out. It should . . . touch places in you that you didn’t know existed, set them ablaze, until your entire being is hungry and wild...It should slice right down through you like a cutlass with a pleasure so devastating it’s very nearly pain … It should make you want to do things you’d never dreamed you’d want to do, and in that moment all of those things will make perfect sense. And it should herald, or at least promise, the most intense physical pleasure you’ve ever known, regardless of whether that promise is ever, ever fulfilled. It should, in fact . . . ” he paused for effect “ . . . haunt you for the rest of your life.” 63 likes
“She thought that heartbreak might just give his character the shadows and corners and angles it needed to make it truly interesting. To deepen and shape it. She was sorry she would be the one to help make him truly interesting. But she’d never apologize for falling in love with a man who already was.” 25 likes