Start by marking “What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)” as Want to Read:
What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)

What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green #5)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  8,272 Ratings  ·  637 Reviews
For years, he's been an object of fear, fascination...and fantasy. But of all the wicked rumors that shadow the formidable Alexander Moncrieffe, Duke of Falconbridge, the ton knows one thing for certain: only fools dare cross him. And when Ian Eversea does just that, Moncrieffe knows the perfect revenge: he'll seduce Ian's innocent sister, Genevieve—the only Eversea as yet ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about What I Did For a Duke, please sign up.

Mel It can be read as a stand alone, no probs (that's how I read it). The H/h's story doesn't continue and there's no cliffhangers. But since it's part of…moreIt can be read as a stand alone, no probs (that's how I read it). The H/h's story doesn't continue and there's no cliffhangers. But since it's part of a series, you'll find that several of the supporting characters have more developed back stories then is required in your standard stand alone because they're heroes and heroines with their own books. Also there are some references that are only half explained, but none of that interferes with the central story.(less)
Hi Yes, it's like a sorry I used my life experience to steal your lady love parting gift. That is why the Duke took the painting out of the house and…moreYes, it's like a sorry I used my life experience to steal your lady love parting gift. That is why the Duke took the painting out of the house and gave it to her. The h has it if she stays with Harry, or if she comes to the Duke. (less)

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
What I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long: a wonderfully interesting and utterly original 5 star read.

Welp, I can honestly say I do not know exactly how I'm going to go about explaining this book. While the cover and description make it seem very much unoriginal what lies within the pages is crazy refreshing.

At first , upon hearing the stupid revenge plot that the hero had involving the heroines ...I promptly felt like

Then I encountered the fact that there is a love triangle, though it really is
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Oh, how I'm loving the Pennyroyal Green series!! This installment, What I Did For a Duke, is romantic, angsty, passionate, funny... in a word; amazing!!!

Needless to say, this is a must read series for me!
Heather
Dec 04, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
What I Did for a Duke was a surprise hit for me. I expected that I might consider it “alright,” but it ended up being amazing. The duke – so noble, so above those who love and who FEEL - ends up becoming so human. He was so much fun to read, with his dry wit, his sense of humor over catching his fiancé in flagrante delicto and continuing to torment Ian. When Alexander and Genevieve meet, I could feel the chemistry and tension. I loved his surprise that she wasn’t fawning over him, and I ...more
Didi
Apr 06, 2015 Didi rated it really liked it
I think one of the best tropes is the man that gets brought down to his knees by a woman least expected to do so. I love it each and every time. Whether it be St. Vincent, from A Devil in Winter or Michael Stirling, from When He Was Wicked, There's just something about an arrogant male falling from his proverbial perch!

This was very good! I loved how Alexander Moncrieffe, the Duke of Falconbridge, had this plan...a plan that totally blew up in his face! When he first saw Genevieve he believed he
Shawna
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is an enjoyable, engaging, and utterly romantic read with charming, multifaceted characters, intelligent dialogue, witty repartee, hot sexual tension, the right amount of humor and emotion, and very steamy love scenes. It’s my first read by Julie Anne Long, but it definitely won’t be my last. And it’s certainly sparked my interest in reading the other books in her Pennyroyal Green series. 5 stars.
Kristen
I really like this book. A lot. I would have given it 5 stars instead of 4.5 but Genevieve kinda annoyed the heck out of me towards the end of the book. The ending, however, more than made up for it. Swoon, swoon, swoon is all I can say. And I fell head over heels in love with the Duke. I absolutely love his character.
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I absolutely loved this book. It was a surprise as I hadn't read this author before and judging by the name of the book, I wasn't thinking it would be anything out of the ordinary. I was wrong. I will always remember this book as it made me feel very emotional.

The book opens with the H catching the h's brother climbing in a window in London to jump into his fiancee's bed. Rather than the H calling the brother out, he told him to expect some revenge in the future, leaving it up in the air.

Some t
Audrey
Aug 31, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I was so so so tempted to bump this one up to a five, but I ultimately chose a four because I don't love the heroine enough to give it a five. Alex (the titular duke) is perfect - stoic, enigmatic, complex, confident, and a little cold such that when he cracks a little over his emotions for Genevieve (our heroine), it's swoon-worthy. He was just a wonderful H, and, despite his bold words, he carried his seduction out with such finesse and grace that I sat here wide-eyed, waiting to see what ...more
MelissaB
I enjoyed the writing style of the author and I liked both main characters, especially the sardonic hero. But I had a big problem with the fact the heroine fancied herself in love with another man for way way too long in the story. The ending was nice but I had trouble trusting the heroine to know her own feelings when it took her so long to figure things out. But if I took away that annoyance, the author showed a lot of promise.
Kathleen
Mar 03, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: KarenH Shel
Recommended to Kathleen by: AJ
I LOVED this book. The story had a flow of words that were so fantastic from start to finish.
This story took place almost in one setting and had no action. Most of the story was the characters talking. I'm completely amazed by how this book grabbed me under these circumstances. It had some LOL moments and heartfelt ones too.
I really liked both the H&h characters in this book and the way they interacted with each others. The heat level was very low until the last 1/4 of the book and then it s
Dina
4 1/2 stars (rounded down to 4 stars, because Genevieve's "blindness" lasted way too long - I mean, (view spoiler))

Note: I received this eARC from Harper Collins via NetGalley. That had no influence on my review/rating.
Wicked Incognito Now
Jun 16, 2011 Wicked Incognito Now rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-special
I am utterly delighted by this historical romance for a number of reasons. My first reason is that I often feel close to being completely done with
romances altogether. I'm just so over the same tired storylines. I've always loved historical romances because they are comfortable. The
19th Century English setting is so familiar that it's almost like putting on a comfy t-shirt. But there seems to be very little room for variation in these
plots. I've gotten to where I don't even finish most of the
Zumbagirl
I loved this! It kind of reminded me of The Notebook (probably due to the love triangle). This is officially my favorite Julie Anne Long book and my favorite older man/younger woman trope. The revenge aspect was resolved quite quickly, thankfully (there was a lot of humor because of this "revenge" that Alex was going to exact against Ian).

Genevieve and Alex were such a great couple - even if they both fought it for a little too long. The beginning of this was a tiny bit slow going - but once it
Sherwood Smith
A fun Regency romance of the sexy sort. I liked the first half more than the second half; the banter was so much fun, and there were fewer period bobbles than in many of the ones featuring basically modern people in a Heyer-like Regency setting.

The wicked duke means to seduce and dump someone in the family of a guy he catches in his affianced wife's bedroom; there is a love triangle. These elements could have gone south really fast, but Long makes them fun and fresh, with an emphasis on the fun,
Cheryl
Jul 12, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Cheryl by: Barbara
FABULOUS book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED every minute of this book. Seriously. Every. Minute.

I totally went against my own rules and read this book out of order, because:
1) I have read one other book in this series, #2, and felt fine reading that one out of order, so I assumed the same would be with this book.
2) It sounded AMAZING and I was feeling rather impatient and didn't want to read the entire series to get to this one!

BUT, if I could do it over again I think I would start at the beginni
Tina
Mar 30, 2011 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Would you like to see my...sketches?" She asked it with eyes downcast, peering flirtatiously up at him through her lashes.

Her sketches?

Was he being propositioned in a crowded salon? Did she intend to lure him up to her chamber? Did he mind?

"Show me your sketches, Lady Blankenship," he said softly with a smile reserved for innuendo.

She instantly reached down behind the settee behind her and produced, to his astonishment, a sketchbook and handed it to him.

"Go on," she urged on a whisper. "Tell me
Mitzi
This is a story of a young woman that discovers that passion has much more to do with love than a life long friendship she ‘thought’ was love.

Genevieve is young and thinks she is in love with her best friend Harry, only Harry has just told her that he intends to propose marriage to Genevieve’s best friend Millicent.

Ian, Genevieve’s brother, has just been caught in bed with Abigail, the fiancée of the Duke of Falconbridge (a man known for being ruthless).

The Duke of Falconbridge is older (has gr
Christy
Oct 20, 2012 Christy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1-own-it-kindle
Just bleah. Not well written (for example, she clearly doesn't know what enervate means, since she uses it twice to mean energize), uninteresting characters, no chemistry between the leads and a ridiculous looking retread cover (see Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3) by Suzanne Enoch). I am astonished by the 5 star reviews.
Erika

I always love the way it feels after reading a great romance book!

I decided to read What I Did For a Duke after I saw it on Amazon as one of ten best romance books of 2011. I totally agree with it.

It makes me happy if a romance book with an ordinary theme turns to be an extraordinary romance. Something as ordinary as love triangle usually wouldn't have my attention. But Julie Anne Long packed it with very interesting romance, smart characters, and what a lovely writing style.

Genevieve Eversea,
Beanbag Love
Nov 01, 2011 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
This ... is more like it.

Having not enjoyed the previous installment of Long's Pennyroyal Green series I began this one with some trepidation. But my worries were not founded as the magic had returned. Fewer typos too so I guess the publisher pulled it together as well.

This story was fun, especially in that it starts with one well-worn trope and suddenly and unexpectedly slingshots to another. What I loved about that sudden change was that it was completely organic and came about in a way that I
Kinga
Dec 23, 2013 Kinga rated it really liked it
Bad Dukes need love, too.

How insipid and flat everything seems after reading this book.
It is mostly about gambling, and the Duke is the biggest gambler of them all. You suck the air in and say: gambling is bad. But let me ask you: how would we feel anything, if it weren’t for gambling? And if you excuse a cheap cliché - passionate love is a gamble. Friendship is good and right. It’s like hard work, it’s worthwhile and admirable and it will never make you a millionaire overnight.
And if there is
Dija
Dec 08, 2012 Dija rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dija by: CrazyPenguinLady
Such a perfect, beautiful, heart-warming romance. The only one of the series I've read, but I might have to go back to book 1 and rectify that considering how much I enjoyed this.
Iliada
Apart from experiencing a fierce desire to slap the heroine in the face, this was otherwise an excellent historical romance. Julie Anne Long, you got yourself another devoted fan.

5 Big Stars

This is my first Julie Anne Long book and I found another great writer. My TBR list is growing bigger and bigger!

Historical romance is my favorite genre and Regency romances are my favorite sub-genre. This one was a perfect regency romance, complete with a house party and guests who were all high and mighty.
Angie
Dec 22, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angie by: Michelle
Good heavens, this was delightful. I'd tried a couple of Ms. Long's Pennyroyal Green books before without much success and had essentially written off the series. Happily, I listened to my friend Michelle's recommendation and snagged this one at the library. Lurid cover (and limp title) aside, I fell immediately in love with Genevieve and Alex. On the face of things, it was never going to work for me. It's a bit of a May-December romance. There's a revenge plot sure to devastate one of the ...more
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
I've read tons of historical novels and this one is definitely in my top 5. Gosh the plot was a breath of fresh air! The characters were unusual for a historical, but yet believable at the same time. Long's writing is exceptional and I love the words she chose. She definitely had a dictionary on hand. Yes it was a bit "wordy", but it made for a better intimacy between the characters (instead of them jumping into bed right away). Just when I thought I was done with historical's along comes What I ...more
Nana
I'm so glad I picked this up! I am taken with Genevieve and Alex- I can't stop pining over them. MMH YES. They're both clever people and they deserve each other. When I read the overview of the story I was actually praying it's not another story that's mainly built upon vengeance (that somehow fades away because the ~revenger gets to love the girl -insert eyeroll-)
I was elated to learn that in fact, the entire revenge of Alex against Genevieve's brother is taken aside before we even get to the m
Colleen
O-M-G, what a book! Totally LOVED it! Really, the best of the entire series and finally, an epilogue!!! Yay!!! I just loved Alex and Genevieve so much and so happy to see everything work out in the end (had a few heart palpitations there for awhile).

Is the end of the series? Not all of Everseas and Redmonds are married though and she can't leave us hanging on what happens with Olivia and Lyon!?!?
Maria Angelica
Jul 04, 2016 Maria Angelica rated it really liked it
Shelves: tenho, ebook, lido-2016
Esse livro foi na verdade uma releitura, mas eu não lembrava de mais nada. Gostei bastante da progressão do relacionamento dos protagonistas, mas achei o final um pouco apressado e o início um pouco arrastado. Por isso quatro estrelas.
Cuidado: estou caindo num vortex de romances históricos, portanto verão mais deles por aqui que geralmente leio.
Zoe
Oct 21, 2015 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought long and hard about this rating. I really struggled with it. I love the way JAL depicts people, their feelings, who they are and the interactions between characters. Exquisite and subtle writing. I hope to see more writers exhibit such writing skills. I will continue to read JAL just for that.

I know the book has really great reviews and I can see why. About 80% of me agrees with them on the awesomeness of this book. And I would certainly recommend the book.

That being said, it should
Miranda Davis
Aug 01, 2013 Miranda Davis rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Julie Ann Long is a wonderful author and I’ve really enjoyed her other books. This was a treat: in that it was free and mostly fun to read. But there was something off-key in the heroine’s behavior that made me begrudge her the love of the duke in the end.

The story involves a clever, purportedly kind, young woman heartbroken by a young man she’s loved all her life and the much older, colder-seeming duke who intends her ruin as revenge for her brother’s misdeeds. Touched by her gallant
  • Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Not Quite a Husband
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • Unlocked (Turner, #1.5)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
20987
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove ...more
More about Julie Anne Long...

Pennyroyal Green (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)

“A proper kiss, Miss Eversea, should turn you inside out. It should . . . touch places in you that you didn’t know existed, set them ablaze, until your entire being is hungry and wild...It should slice right down through you like a cutlass with a pleasure so devastating it’s very nearly pain … It should make you want to do things you’d never dreamed you’d want to do, and in that moment all of those things will make perfect sense. And it should herald, or at least promise, the most intense physical pleasure you’ve ever known, regardless of whether that promise is ever, ever fulfilled. It should, in fact . . . ” he paused for effect “ . . . haunt you for the rest of your life.” 83 likes
“She thought that heartbreak might just give his character the shadows and corners and angles it needed to make it truly interesting. To deepen and shape it. She was sorry she would be the one to help make him truly interesting. But she’d never apologize for falling in love with a man who already was.” 35 likes