Start by marking “Vector Prime: Star Wars (The New Jedi Order)” as Want to Read:
Vector Prime: Star Wars (The New Jedi Order)

Vector Prime: Star Wars (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  12,017 Ratings  ·  331 Reviews
Twenty-one years have passed since the heroes of the Rebel Alliance destroyed the Death Star, breaking the power of the Emperor. Since then, the New Republic has valiantly struggled to maintain peace and prosperity among the peoples of the galaxy. But unrest has begun to spread and threatens to destroy the Republic's tenuous reign.

Into this volatile atmosphere comes Nom An
Published July 5th 2000 by Del Rey (first published October 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Vector Prime, please sign up.

Chris depends on the kid. that's all I can say. I really am not qualified to answer that without further data on the kid's age, maturity level, and…moredepends on the kid. that's all I can say. I really am not qualified to answer that without further data on the kid's age, maturity level, and imagination level.(less)
Kendall Moore I think that he only has a supporting role in this particular series. If you want to read more about Katarn there's a nice little trilogy published by…moreI think that he only has a supporting role in this particular series. If you want to read more about Katarn there's a nice little trilogy published by Dark Horse Comics:

1. Soldier for the Empire
2. Rebel Agent
3. Jedi Knight (less)

Crystal Starr Light
Jul 26, 2010 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
"I had built this bubble around us...Nothing could hurt us—could really hurt us."

Twenty-five years have past since Luke Skywalker went from a farm boy on Tatooine to destroyer of the Death Star. Han and Leia are married with three teenagers, Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin. Luke has married once-enemy, Mara Jade. But things are never easy for our heroes. Mara is inflicted with a strange illness. And on a far away scientific station on Belkadan, Danni Quee receives the first hint of a menace about to in
Mike
Apr 06, 2011 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Markus
The book itself was quite okay, but unfortunately it did nothing to recover my lost motivation.

Disney, what have you done?
Aubrey
Mar 20, 2012 Aubrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was both my first Star Wars book and my first Salvatore book. I made a deal with my husband, who has read and loved MANY a Star Wars book, that if I read Vector Prime that he would read The Hunger Games. So, game on!

With that said, I was intrigued because I thoroughly enjoyed the Star Wars series and Vector Prime takes place after the films end and the main characters are married and have kids. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book but I also love the characters anyway. It helped
Robert Wright
Media tie-ins are always going to be a mixed bag.

Very few in the Star Wars series really rose above average, and they quickly became a matter of diminishing returns for the time and money invested.

Vector Prime is the point where it just dove off a cliff for me.

Salvatore is a capable writer, and though I don't follow his other work, people do seem to look favorably on it.

I think the problem here lies with the editors and the course they chose for the overall ongoing storyline of the series. It's
Scott Rhee
R.A. Salvatore, best known for his work in the fantasy genre and the popular “Dungeons & Dragons RPG, joined the Star Wars Expanded Universe team in 1999 with his novel “Vector Prime”, which set the tone and direction for an entirely new and different series within the SWEU called the New Jedi Order.

Darker, more violent, and more mature, “Vector Prime” was a much-needed shot in the arm for a franchise gradually going stale. Two years prior to Salvatore’s novel, Timothy Zahn’s “Hand of Thrawn
Stephen
4.0 stars. I just reread this book as I was going to read the next books in the series and it had been a long time since I read this story. It was terrific. As a "Star Wars" book, this is clearly meant to be the literary equivalent of a "summer blockbuster" which is not a bad thing by any means (I equate it to a lot of the other "fun" read books like the Dresden Files Series and the Harry Potter series). Well this book was an incredibly fun read. On top of being a fun read, it had the added bonu ...more
The Mistah
Feb 03, 2008 The Mistah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read quite a few SW books when I was a teenager - then they got boring and routine and were all about the same thing: some bad guy has a superweapon and the gang has to save the universe, yada yada yada.

So, I was in a bookstore looking for something to read on vacation and I saw a Star Wars book called Exile and thought, "well, golly! I haven't read one of those in over ten years - this will be fun!" Well, that book was fourth in a series - and there was a whole other series that came before.
Anna
Dec 10, 2010 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Benjamin Thomas
Sep 06, 2010 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-adventure
I read over 100 novels every year, in many different genres. I have read a lot of science-fiction and about 11 of the Star Wars novels. Just so you'll know where I'm coming from, I admit to a certain bias for RA Salvatore. I regard his fantasy works as among the best of contemporary authors. Having said that, I was thrilled when I first learned he would pen a volume of the SW universe. Finally I would get to read high quality SW adventure the way it was meant to be (Timothy Zahn also achieves th ...more
SC2083
Sep 29, 2012 SC2083 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book was alright until a beloved Star Wars character was killed off. Its not so much that the character was killed off that bothers me it is the way. The death was so ... not very well written and lame. The character could have had a better send off. This for me ruined the book and it was hard to finish after. I haven't read a Star Wars book since reading this book when it first came out in hardcover.

UPDATE 1/9/16 I just saw episode VII... how the hell is Chewbacca in this movie and when did
Pam (The Girl Who Cried Books)
If you're a Star Wars fan like I am, then this book is a definite must-read for you! There were times that I find the story slow and/or dragging but it was still a great read.

It was well-written and was as detailed as can be. I didn't actually know about the series until a very good friend (who is also a Star Wars geek) recommended it to me.

In conclusion, I loved it and I will definitely continue reading the series :)
Wade Schacht
Mar 01, 2017 Wade Schacht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing novel with new aspects not included in the canon Star Wars Series.
Michael Minutillo
Feb 03, 2011 Michael Minutillo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Shelves: star-wars
For fans of the original Star Wars films this is a good solid story with adventure and excitement galore. Set 25 years after the events of the original A New Hope film, the galaxy comes under threat from an invading force of frightening warriors. And who should stumble across this invading force? Han Solo with his ever-present sidekick, Chewie. Han's wife Leia, their jedi-trained kids Jacen, Jaina and Anakin (it's been 25 years after all). Luke and his wife Mara, whose rapidly failing health wil ...more
Sara
Mar 19, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do not like the NJO books at all. I have several reasons for that, but they start in this book. Firstly, (view spoiler) but this didn't feel like that. This felt contrived.

Secondly, the new 'threat' is creepier than 'Entechment' and the bug-people combined. I like fighting against a creepy threat
Ernest Junius
Feb 01, 2010 Ernest Junius rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wookie
Recommended to Ernest by: Lucas
Shelves: shallow-reads
The first English-language book I read when I was in highschool. My fascination for Star Wars stretched so far even beyond the galaxy far, far away brought me to this book. I trudged through its pages, getting to know obscure words that filled every page of this book. I remembered there was one sentence in this book which needed me to open my dictionary for thirteen times. OK, that was my effort. However, I'm quite disappointed with the book, after my laborious effort, I thought the book just ge ...more
William
Feb 18, 2011 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ron
Aug 08, 2010 Ron rated it liked it
Jeff
Jan 21, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Becky
Shelves: sci-fi
Vector Prime was a great read. I am not the biggest fan of R.A. Salvatore, but in this book, I found that his writing style is not quite the same as his other books. He does some things that are unexpected, but not always unwelcome. However, after a while, you start to get the feel for what the characters are going to do just based on the way that Salvatore writes them.

There are some interesting insights into the various characters in this book, particularly Han and Anakin. The story sets up The
Virginia Lacefield
I loved RA Salvatore's Dark Elf series and I think he's a good fantasy writer, but this book didn't resonate well with me. I don't think he had a good grasp of the characters - they all seemed a little off throughout the novel. The writing felt very forced, especially during the emotional parts, which lacked subtlety and nuance. Overall, this was a disappointing and depressing novel that did not make me want to read more of the New Jedi Order series.
Terence
Vector Prime is an interesting start to The New Jedi Order series. It was intriguing to see the Jedi battling a force insensitive enemy in the Yuuzhan Vong. It certainly promises to be something different.
Taylor
May 01, 2012 Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-hated
I read the vast majority of the books in the NJO series. I greatly enjoyed many of them.

But this one sucked. I can't tell you why, as it has been years, but of all the books in the series, this one stuck out to me as actually being bad.
Gregory
Apr 04, 2009 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a fine tale. Not too surprised that Salvatore could pull it off but then again, he did it within the Star Wars universe. Heart-pumping action and a horrific new villain. I liked this enough to buy the next two books in this series.
Hidekisohma
Zack
Jun 25, 2015 Zack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twenty one years have passed since the destruction of the Death Star and the establishment of the New Republic in an attempt to unite the galaxy under equality and peace. But the differences between the many worlds within the galaxy are still too obvious; and unrest has started to spread among the worlds branded as ”lower class”. Rhommamool is such a planet – a poor desert planet with a lousy economy compared to its neighbour planet Osarian with its white sand beaches and thriving economy.

Leia
Timber
Oct 02, 2011 Timber is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-again
I'm re-reading the series. It's been several years. At one point I owned the entire series of the New Jedi Order in mass-market -- and during a move that I was not at home to supervise, they disappeared. Which was interesting since they were literally being moved from one side of a duplex to another, from one bedroom to another. So it's not like they fell off the truck!! Some say they may be hiding in a box, hidden in the dark, shadowy depths of the duplex's extra garage....but who would dare go ...more
Michael Tildsley
Jan 15, 2012 Michael Tildsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first eight New Jedi Order books in high school around 2003. I remember enjoying them at the time, but not so much the substance of them, etc. They aren't as memorable to me as other things that I've read, though maybe they deserve a second look. I think this was my first Salvatore book, and I do remember enjoying the way he painted the picture of the post-film trilogy Star Wars universe.

I don't know if the thickness of #9, Star by Star, was daunting to my high school self, if I had a
Joshua Sole
Jul 30, 2012 Joshua Sole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I have read and own many star wars novel and comics and this is a general review for the whole NJO series but it has to be the best series for me personaly, it brings somethng new to the SW universe, the legacy of the force series and the Fate of the jedi seem to be the same Star Wars idea just rewritten.

Legacy of the Force is a new dark lord rising to power to bring balance to the galaxy and so on and so on still good but sort of feels like I've been here before?

Fate of the Jedi again with luke
John
Aug 13, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, sci-fi
Where to start.First off this is a series i have wanted to read for years.I loved every word of every sentence in this first book.Mr Salvatore did a tremendous job of conveying the emotions of this story.It was action packed and the appearance of the Yuuzhan Vong race is like nothing that has ever come out of the Star Wars universe.These aliens from another galaxy seem to be damn near unbeatable.The usual cast of characters was strong as ever and the emergence of Han and Leias children Jacen,Jai ...more
Trey
Jul 20, 2016 Trey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty bold move for the writers of this new series to take well established characters and put them through the fire; no less different than a blacksmith jamming a sword back into the forge for refinement.
The Yuuzhan Vong is the right kind of alien race to bring it to the Jedi - the right kind of challenge. An advanced and scary species who live and breath warfare, taking pain and suffering past the apogee of science, into the celestial realm of art.
Not sure at which point I'd traverse the fine
Remembering Stuff 2 28 Jun 23, 2012 07:37PM
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #2)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)

“There is a difference between finding trouble in your path and going out of your way searching for it.”
-Jacen Solo”
22 likes
“Never seem to have a Death Star lying around when you need one.”
-Han Solo”