Start by marking “Fall of a State” as Want to Read:
Fall of a State

Fall of a State

The desire of an emperor... Bored with his usual palace musicians, the emperor Liu Che is tempted by a new song from lowly qin-player Li Yan Nian. Yan Nian is also beautiful, and Liu Che is in the mood to take a new lover. His lovers usually come to him, but Yan Nian's shy reticence intrigues the emperor.

The yearning of a man... Yan Nian has been in love with the emperor s
Published June 30th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

Erastes
Oct 21, 2010 Erastes rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-historical
The author herself calls this book a “fluffy version” of the true-life affair between Lui Che, Emperor Wu of the Han Dynasty of China and Li Yan Nian a court musician in the Emperor’s court. But I wouldn’t call it fluffy, as such. Perhaps it is a little rose-tinted, but there’s no way this could be labelled as “wallpaper” because of the solidity of the world painted around the characters and the obvious depth of knowledge that the author has. If you dig a little deeper into the “what happened to ...more
Jason Bradley
Feb 28, 2011 Jason Bradley rated it really liked it
This was beautifully written but I think I can only say this was a 3.5 star read because, in the middle of this story about historical China, I came across the word 'arse' over and over. This UK slang used in an Asian setting threw me out of the story totally.
Aredhel
Oct 08, 2011 Aredhel rated it it was ok
I tried so desperately to love this book but it seems I failed dramatically.
The main two problems were the language and the main character Yan Nian, or, to be more exact, his characterization and his actions after that characterization was presented to the reader.

Yan Nian is described as a shy and modest young man who, at the same time, keeps *cough* a stone dildo buried in his things in his room, who doesn't disapprove of his sister whoring around having relationships with one man after anothe
Aleksandr Voinov
Exquisitely written and highly erotic. I read this in a day, even though I should have been writing, but I regret nothing. I do enjoy how well Kate Cotoner navigates foreign cultures, and her style is always a pleasure.
Eve
Dec 05, 2013 Eve rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. It verrrry fluffy, but I quite enjoyed it.
Shira Anthony
Apr 08, 2011 Shira Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-slash, historical
I didn't realize until after I'd read this book that the story is based on the real-life history of the Chinese emperor, Liu Che. I almost wish I hadn't found out, because the real story isn't the fairy tale that this little book is. Still, it was an enjoyable read, if not entirely realistic (and, to be fair, the author herself calls her version "fluff"). But enjoyable, it was, and well-written.

MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW: (view spoiler)
ARe Cafe
Apr 18, 2013 ARe Cafe rated it really liked it
Shelves: vals-picks
Fall of a State by Kate Cotoner is an unusual, beautifully written historical romance set in ancient China, which is an underrepresented time and location in m/m romance. While keeping events rooted in authentic historical research, the author maintains a fast pace and a smooth, clear, streamlined writing style. Both the emperor of China (a real historical figure) and his court musician come alive as real men with distinct three-dimensional personalities, and their witty banter is a delight to r ...more
Det
Feb 03, 2014 Det rated it liked it
I don't know if it was because I just read 'The Last Concubine' by Catt Ford which is kind of similar with 'Fall of a State' that this book turned out boring for me so 3 stars only but still a good book to read! :)
Bookwatcher
I will not give a rating to it because I didn't finish it
I was very close to the end but I'm giving up. It's a good story, but the amount of eroticism bothers me. I like erotica, have nothing against it, but sometimes (like in this book) I wished for more plot and less sex

So, sadly, it breaks my heart but I'm giving up. DNF for me.
Matimate
Jul 22, 2012 Matimate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2012
The jewel among the trash of gay romance books. Well written historical gay romance which binds the educated author who put on on display the old Chinese imperial court with all its splendor and glory and in the same time could make the relationship between emperor and lowly musician believable.
Cleon Lee
Apr 17, 2011 Cleon Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author managed to evoke the beauty and exoticism of ancient Chinese era. A beautiful historical tale of the Chinese emperor and his male lover. Great research and description of the setting and era without lecturing the readers.
Crys Harris
Jul 08, 2011 Crys Harris rated it it was amazing
This was great! I loved the setting and the simplicity of the lover story, however improbable, and the fact that it is based on actual events.
Amy
Apr 29, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this story, it was exactly what I was looking for.
Faymay
Oct 20, 2012 Faymay rated it really liked it
4,5 stars
Deanna
May 15, 2011 Deanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ebook, historical
Heloise West
Heloise West marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Draan
Draan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Wunderlust
Wunderlust rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Ashki
Ashki marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
ZarChi
ZarChi marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Jenifer Williams
Jenifer Williams rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Lien
Lien rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Jaymee
Jaymee marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Nocturnalux
Nocturnalux marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Bostonlotus
Bostonlotus marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2016
  • The King's Tale
  • The Lion of Kent
  • The Nobleman and the Spy
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • From Afar
  • Sleight of Hand
  • An Agreement Among Gentlemen
  • Fortune's Sharp Adversity
  • An Improper Holiday
  • Vagabond Heart (Pearl Harbor, #1)
Kate Cotoner lives in the north of England with her OH and a demanding bonsai named Mr M. She has a fondness for Asian men tempered with a love of hunky Germanic and Mediterranean types, and manages to combine love for all three types whilst watching Formula One motorsport. She loves history, needlepoint, reading, watching brainless blockbusters and meaningful foreign films, staring at US crime sh ...more
More about Kate Cotoner...