The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets

The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Secrets and surprises from Roald Dahl!

Feast your eyes on a secret! Between these covers is a long-lost chapter—and the original ending—from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and other delicious never-before-seen tidbits from Mr. Wonka's factory. Then slip into some tasty tales from Roald Dahl's life to discover more about the world's No. 1 storyteller. No Roald Dahl colle...more
Published September 2nd 2010 by Puffin

Chris Blocker
I love Willy Wonka. I've seen the original 1971 film more times than any other movie. I answer salutations and well-meaning questions with quotes from the film. I have collector's books about the film and have watched the director's commentary. I know the in-and-outs of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And, to a lesser extent, I've loved the many other incarnations of Charlie and Willy: Roald Dahl's original novel, as well as the sequel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, and the 2005 fi...more
Jeanette (Most of My Favorite Authors Are Dead)
This is a sweet little hybrid of fiction and non-fiction for Dahl enthusiasts of all ages. It's a veritable chocolate "chomp"-endium and an author biography melted into one small volume.
Here's what you get:

*Fun facts about Roald Dahl's life.
*A deleted chapter and alternate ending for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
*A quiz to test your knowledge about Charlie's story.
*A month by month account of Dahl's most and least favorite things about the seasons.
*Some tips and encouragement for aspiring...more
Crystal Marcos
Being a Roald Dahl fan, I loved this book! Yes, there is a fair amount of fillers in the book. But, I enjoyed the fillers too. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is my favorite book. It was one of the inspirations for beginning my journey as a writer. So you can see, when I found out this book was going to be released, I told everyone I knew and blasted all my Goodreads friends a recommendation. Needless to say, I was excited.

It is a very short book, with plenty of Quentin Blake's illustrations t...more
Stephanie
Exactly what I'd hoped for! A little insight into Roald Dahl and his life, some interesting facts (especially about chocolate!), some information about Quentin Blake the illustrator and how he got to work with Dahl, and some little known facts about how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory evolved - including a "deleted chapter". It was a very quick read but I quite enjoyed it. Knowing more about the author I can see how he is able to inject that little bit of magic found in all his books.
Keri
Category: Grades 4-6 Book #8

This is a really fun book! It's almost like a sequel of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, it was actual listed as what the original story ending was supposed to be. It's a fun read-aloud, especially if children have read the book or seen the movie. There are many projects that can be done with this in art, and comprehension tasks that would be fun to work on during center work.

Critic Review from Barnes and Noble.com:
-Publishers Weekly
Containing excerpts from earlier...more
Luann
As a huge Roald Dahl fan, I've been looking forward to reading this! But overall, the book is a bit of a disappointment. It feels like they padded it out with not terribly interesting extras just so they could publish the missing chapter that was originally cut from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Also, some of the information can be found elsewhere. There were a few nice bits, but not really enough for a full book. I would only suggest this for huge Roald Dahl fans who want to read everythin...more
Stephanie
~ Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most likely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
~ Roald Dahl (The Minpins)

~ The scientific name for cocoa means "food of the gods."

~ Factories can produce over five million bars of chocolate a day.
Kirsten
It's the story about how Roald Dahl's creativity works.....it shares some of the ideas of the first drafts of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Originally there were 10 kids, then 7, and some of the names were different too. They share the pictures and even one chapter that was not included in the final version. As well, there are recipes for several of Willie Wonka's chocolates, a history of chocolate, some reflections by Dahl on each month of the calendar, and tips on becoming a writer. Since...more
Shelby Jordan
it's a nice, cute children's book. especially if your a fan of Charlie and the chocolate factory. my favorite part of the book was the missing chapter from Charlie and the chocolate factory. so cute!!
Lisa the Librarian
Who knew that Roald Dahl had done so many versions and edits of his beloved classic. I loved the insights into Dahl's life and other thoughts he had. The discarded ideas were interesting, but clearly Dahl wrote a much better story by discarding many of them. Can you imagine using Whipple-Scrumpets in pop culture references rather than Oompa-Loompas, or Charlie Bucket becoming a chocolate statue. Thank goodness for Dahl's editing.

Filled with short writings of Roald Dahl including journal entries,...more
Efi
The QI Gong healer-teacher of the workshop I am attending (Paul Fraser) said at the end of day 1: go home, do something totally different to energy and the such. So I read half of this special Roahl Dahl.
Half is from his diaries (one excerpt per month), some chapters that he ended up throwing out from Charlie and the Chocolate factory, copies and report cards from high school on composition!!!! Naturally, the comments were Horrible; lacks vocabulary, uses words in wrong places, meaning,....and t...more
Carol
Whether or not you are an avid Roald Dahl fan or just a casual reader, this fun-filled book will truly delight your senses. The chapters alternate Dahl's wisdom and insights from each and every month of the year with fun facts, recipes, quizzes and other delectable bonuses. There is much background information revealed about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, including an entertaining missing chapter. As always Quentin Blake's fabulous black and white illustrations bring Dahl's words to life!
Esthera013
This book is basically a biogrophy about Roald Dahl. In the book there life time expirientes, for example, he would write all of the months and write down his favorite "kid" memories.One fact about him is that he was born in the year of 1916 and he died in 1990. This book also includes a "mystery" chapter that he took out of the REAL Charlie and the Choclate Factory.

I like this book because Roald Dahl is my FAVORITE author.
I disliked this book because it was only 120 pages long.
Kristy McRae
A fun, quick read for anyone who's a fan of Dahl, and especially of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The missing chapter from that book is here, as well as lots of fun info about Dahl's writing process, and about the early forms of the story before it was published. It started out much differently than the final product we all know & love! There are also some recipes, and some journal entries by Dahl, as well as info on illustrator Quentin Blake and his friendship with Dahl.
Alyse
My favorite Roald Dahl book of all times even though its less then 100 pages and a majority of those pages have pictures on them the story itself is so funny and cute. Grandma actually reminds my so much of my husbands grandma its ridiculous. Always telling people they are wrong and wicked. I read this to my husband and so because theyd never heard of it. My husband almost died laughing thinking of when he was little and stuck listening to Grandma.
Jacqueline
While a fair amount of this is fluff, there are some very interesting chapters on the revision process for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This kind of information could be very fun to share in the elementary classroom during writing workshop. Students need to hear that professional authors often have to remove entire chapters, characters, and change endings to make a book publishable.
Ilana Waters
A delicious peak inside the world of Roald Dahl. Just enough snippets and interesting factoids to keep even the most picky reader interested (although if you've read more extensive biographies on Dahl, you may not be surprised by the information). As a writer, I also found it fascinating how many edits and incarnations his books went through.
Jeff Derappers
I got to know more secrets about Roald Dahl, and have funny top secret missing chapters. It was fun to know more about Mr.Wonka's fascinating chocolate factory. But, before I expect, the book is recording some of the secret files hide in Mr.Wonka's factory. And, we get to find out every kind of elements and tools inside the Chocolate Factory!
Alex
It's a quick read, but it's very clearly aimed at the young reader with a short attention span. It's a collection of unrelated snippets of information released after Dahl's death. The ten or so pages that illuminate his writing style and drafts of the Chocolate Factory was good, but the rest is not particularly noteworthy.
Harun Harahap
Buku ini isinya mirip buku "D is for Dahl A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl"-nya Wendy Cooling. Tentang fakta-fakta kehidupan seorang Roald Dahl. Cuma di buku ini ada tambahan berupa cerita awal "Charlie and Chocolate Factory". Mau tahu bagaimana cerita awalnya? Baca sendiri aja yah.. hehehehe..
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Christopher
A "missing" chapter from Charlie & The Chocolate Factory is the sole reason to pick this slight "new" book by Roald Dahl up for a read. This is only published to piggyback on "Roald Dahl Month" and is completely unnecessary.

A one and half starrer if that.
Brittany
If you are any kind of fan of Roald Dahl, you should check out this wonderful little gem! You can read it in about 15 minutes, but every page is excellent! A glimpse into the mind of one of the greatest story tellers of all time!
Rebecca
Enjoyed the insight into Dahl's struggle to perfect his (many) drafts of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but this book of trivia, diary entries, and other potpourri feels slight. I didn't learn much about RD or any of his other books.
A.E. Stueve
This is a brilliant, brilliant book with quotes, recipes, and a sly little series of lessons on writing. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough to anyone who like Dahl's work, wants to be a writer, or fancies candy and adventure.
Kelly Triplett
Fun facts about the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The book includes a deleted chapter and an alternate ending for His beloved book (charlie & choc. factory). Good book to encourage children to use their imaginations l.
Josh
I was tickled to find this - stuff that has (apparently?) been published in the UK before but never made it to the US. It's a meditation on Dahl's process, along with tons of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory trivia.
Thom
A collection of miscellany from Roald Dahl, including characters, a chapter and an ending from early drafts of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Some I liked, some was just okay. A quick read regardless.
Tricia
What a tasty little smorgasbord of Dahl facts, journal entries and more. A missing chapter from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is highly enjoyable...and it's a joy to read the alternate ending as well.
Amanda
Feast your eyes on a secret! Between these covers is a long-lost chapter-and the original ending-from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and other delicious never-before-seen tidbits from Mr. Wonka's factory.
  • All Dogs Have ADHD
  • Sparky: The Life and Art of Charles Schulz
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Chewy And Chica (The Puppy Place Special Edition)
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • The African Safari Discovery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #6)
  • Artist to artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children about Their Art
  • Ava the Sunset Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Twilight Fairies, #1)
  • D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl
  • The House Baba Built: An Artist's Childhood in China
  • Richard Wright and the Library Card
  • Journey to Portugal: In Pursuit of Portugal's History and Culture
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Stand Straight, Ella Kate
  • Dear Dumb Diary Year Two #3: Nobody's Perfect. I'm As Close As It Gets.

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a...more
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches