Start by marking “The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets” as Want to Read:
The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets

The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets

Secrets and surprises from Roald Dahl!

Feast your eyes on a secret! Between these covers is a long-lost chapter—and the original ending—from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and other delicious never-before-seen tidbits from Mr. Wonka's factory. Then slip into some tasty tales from Roald Dahl's life to discover more about the world's No. 1 storyteller. No Roald Dahl collec
Published September 2nd 2010 by Puffin Books

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets

Chris Blocker
I love Willy Wonka. I've seen the original 1971 film more times than any other movie. I answer salutations and well-meaning questions with quotes from the film. I have collector's books about the film and have watched the director's commentary. I know the in-and-outs of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And, to a lesser extent, I've loved the many other incarnations of Charlie and Willy: Roald Dahl's original novel, as well as the sequel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, and the 2005 fi ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is a sweet little hybrid of fiction and non-fiction for Dahl enthusiasts of all ages. It's a veritable chocolate "chomp"-endium and an author biography melted into one small volume.
Here's what you get:

*Fun facts about Roald Dahl's life.
*A deleted chapter and alternate ending for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
*A quiz to test your knowledge about Charlie's story.
*A month by month account of Dahl's most and least favorite things about the seasons.
*Some tips and encouragement for aspiring
Eustacia Tan
May 14, 2014 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew all about Charlie and the Chocolate factor. After all, I read it with my brother. But when I came home for a weekend visit (to the doctors), my little brother proudly showed me this book, which I've never heard about.

Did you guys know that Charlie and the Chocolate factory had a lot more nasty kids at first? And that there was an alternate ending? (No, I'm not telling you what it is). There's also a quiz to see if you're a true fan(;

Of course, this book isn't just about Charlie
Crystal Marcos
Feb 09, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
Being a Roald Dahl fan, I loved this book! Yes, there is a fair amount of fillers in the book. But, I enjoyed the fillers too. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is my favorite book. It was one of the inspirations for beginning my journey as a writer. So you can see, when I found out this book was going to be released, I told everyone I knew and blasted all my Goodreads friends a recommendation. Needless to say, I was excited.

It is a very short book, with plenty of Quentin Blake's illustrations t
Stephanie
Apr 16, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, humour
Exactly what I'd hoped for! A little insight into Roald Dahl and his life, some interesting facts (especially about chocolate!), some information about Quentin Blake the illustrator and how he got to work with Dahl, and some little known facts about how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory evolved - including a "deleted chapter". It was a very quick read but I quite enjoyed it. Knowing more about the author I can see how he is able to inject that little bit of magic found in all his books.
Ayu Ikhwani
Jan 28, 2015 Ayu Ikhwani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ayureads2015
A very short read, only 118 pages with lotsa illustrations by Quentin Blake. Contains Dahl's notes on each month of the year. It also has 2 candy recipes that seem simple enough for kids to try out. I especially love the discarded chapter from the published Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, just because its been a secret before haha.. The original ending is also quite ok, though the published one is much better by the mile. There's also some bits and pieces of trivia on Roald Dahl that I find ...more
Madison
Nov 19, 2015 Madison rated it it was amazing
"The Missing Golden Ticket" by Roald Dahl is a story about Roald Dahl. I liked this book because it showed Roald Dahl's favorite things about every month. I liked how it made me feel like i was learning about his life from him. I also liked how Roald Dahl added his adventures. Ronald Dahl's secret chapter of Charlie and the Chocolate factory was a hole-in-one with me. I liked Roald Dahls story.
Debbie Phillips
Sep 15, 2016 Debbie Phillips rated it it was amazing
Cool!! Wonderful, interesting facts; insights about Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake; notes from Roald Dahl's journals; and advice. Below are some of my favorites from the book.

“It takes a year's crop of cocoa beans from one tree to make just one tin of cocoa." (pg 16)

Wow! I am surprised cocoa does not cost even more than it does.

“Roald Dahl kept two idea books for about 40 years. …. He thought that good ideas were like dreams – soon forgotten – and made sure he wrote them down straight away. He t
Missy Cook
Sep 21, 2016 Missy Cook rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is certainly written for a younger audience. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this was more about Dahl himself. I misinterpreted the title - I though the book was going to be a collection of short stories. I would recommend this book to those who would like to see a softer side of Roald Dahl.
Keri
Apr 18, 2011 Keri rated it really liked it
Category: Grades 4-6 Book #8

This is a really fun book! It's almost like a sequel of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, it was actual listed as what the original story ending was supposed to be. It's a fun read-aloud, especially if children have read the book or seen the movie. There are many projects that can be done with this in art, and comprehension tasks that would be fun to work on during center work.

Critic Review from Barnes and Noble.com:
-Publishers Weekly
Containing excerpts from earlier
Luann
Oct 30, 2011 Luann rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, childrens, 2011
As a huge Roald Dahl fan, I've been looking forward to reading this! But overall, the book is a bit of a disappointment. It feels like they padded it out with not terribly interesting extras just so they could publish the missing chapter that was originally cut from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Also, some of the information can be found elsewhere. There were a few nice bits, but not really enough for a full book. I would only suggest this for huge Roald Dahl fans who want to read ...more
Kirsten
It's the story about how Roald Dahl's creativity works.....it shares some of the ideas of the first drafts of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Originally there were 10 kids, then 7, and some of the names were different too. They share the pictures and even one chapter that was not included in the final version. As well, there are recipes for several of Willie Wonka's chocolates, a history of chocolate, some reflections by Dahl on each month of the calendar, and tips on becoming a writer. Since ...more
Cassie
Jul 18, 2015 Cassie rated it liked it
I enjoyed this as an "extra" piece of information about the Charlie books, but overall that is all it is. It is bits of information about Dahl and then bits about specifically Dahl's Charlie books. I do not know what I was expecting from this book, but for some reason I left wanting more from it. For those that want a little insight to how a writer works though this would be an excellent read because he discusses rewriting and also how certain things had to be edited out over time. Overall it is ...more
Efi
Mar 03, 2011 Efi rated it liked it
The QI Gong healer-teacher of the workshop I am attending (Paul Fraser) said at the end of day 1: go home, do something totally different to energy and the such. So I read half of this special Roahl Dahl.
Half is from his diaries (one excerpt per month), some chapters that he ended up throwing out from Charlie and the Chocolate factory, copies and report cards from high school on composition!!!! Naturally, the comments were Horrible; lacks vocabulary, uses words in wrong places, meaning,....and t
Lisa the Librarian
Dec 31, 2010 Lisa the Librarian rated it liked it
Who knew that Roald Dahl had done so many versions and edits of his beloved classic. I loved the insights into Dahl's life and other thoughts he had. The discarded ideas were interesting, but clearly Dahl wrote a much better story by discarding many of them. Can you imagine using Whipple-Scrumpets in pop culture references rather than Oompa-Loompas, or Charlie Bucket becoming a chocolate statue. Thank goodness for Dahl's editing.

Filled with short writings of Roald Dahl including journal entries,
Carol
Oct 25, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
Whether or not you are an avid Roald Dahl fan or just a casual reader, this fun-filled book will truly delight your senses. The chapters alternate Dahl's wisdom and insights from each and every month of the year with fun facts, recipes, quizzes and other delectable bonuses. There is much background information revealed about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, including an entertaining missing chapter. As always Quentin Blake's fabulous black and white illustrations bring Dahl's words to life!
Esthera013
Oct 11, 2010 Esthera013 rated it it was amazing
This book is basically a biogrophy about Roald Dahl. In the book there life time expirientes, for example, he would write all of the months and write down his favorite "kid" memories.One fact about him is that he was born in the year of 1916 and he died in 1990. This book also includes a "mystery" chapter that he took out of the REAL Charlie and the Choclate Factory.

I like this book because Roald Dahl is my FAVORITE author.
I disliked this book because it was only 120 pages long.
Kristy McRae
Jun 21, 2012 Kristy McRae rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read for anyone who's a fan of Dahl, and especially of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The missing chapter from that book is here, as well as lots of fun info about Dahl's writing process, and about the early forms of the story before it was published. It started out much differently than the final product we all know & love! There are also some recipes, and some journal entries by Dahl, as well as info on illustrator Quentin Blake and his friendship with Dahl.
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
~ Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most likely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
~ Roald Dahl (The Minpins)

~ The scientific name for cocoa means "food of the gods."

~ Factories can produce over five million bars of chocolate a day.
Alyse
Oct 14, 2011 Alyse rated it it was amazing
My favorite Roald Dahl book of all times even though its less then 100 pages and a majority of those pages have pictures on them the story itself is so funny and cute. Grandma actually reminds my so much of my husbands grandma its ridiculous. Always telling people they are wrong and wicked. I read this to my husband and so because theyd never heard of it. My husband almost died laughing thinking of when he was little and stuck listening to Grandma.
Alex
May 21, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
It's a quick read, but it's very clearly aimed at the young reader with a short attention span. It's a collection of unrelated snippets of information released after Dahl's death. The ten or so pages that illuminate his writing style and drafts of the Chocolate Factory was good, but the rest is not particularly noteworthy.
Jeff Derappers
I got to know more secrets about Roald Dahl, and have funny top secret missing chapters. It was fun to know more about Mr.Wonka's fascinating chocolate factory. But, before I expect, the book is recording some of the secret files hide in Mr.Wonka's factory. And, we get to find out every kind of elements and tools inside the Chocolate Factory!
Harun Harahap
Mar 26, 2012 Harun Harahap rated it really liked it
Buku ini isinya mirip buku "D is for Dahl A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl"-nya Wendy Cooling. Tentang fakta-fakta kehidupan seorang Roald Dahl. Cuma di buku ini ada tambahan berupa cerita awal "Charlie and Chocolate Factory". Mau tahu bagaimana cerita awalnya? Baca sendiri aja yah.. hehehehe..
Chris
Aug 25, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might not have been a big fan of this book, but it had a few interesting points. not only did it tell me a little bit more about Roald Dahl's life, but it also told me some more interesting pieces that were originally unseen in books I previously finished - such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. it was a very quick read (lasting a total of 1+1/2 hours read time).
Ilana Waters
Sep 11, 2013 Ilana Waters rated it it was amazing
A delicious peak inside the world of Roald Dahl. Just enough snippets and interesting factoids to keep even the most picky reader interested (although if you've read more extensive biographies on Dahl, you may not be surprised by the information). As a writer, I also found it fascinating how many edits and incarnations his books went through.
Jacqueline
Dec 13, 2010 Jacqueline rated it liked it
While a fair amount of this is fluff, there are some very interesting chapters on the revision process for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This kind of information could be very fun to share in the elementary classroom during writing workshop. Students need to hear that professional authors often have to remove entire chapters, characters, and change endings to make a book publishable.
Josh
Sep 06, 2010 Josh rated it it was amazing
I was tickled to find this - stuff that has (apparently?) been published in the UK before but never made it to the US. It's a meditation on Dahl's process, along with tons of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory trivia.
Amanda
Jun 06, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Feast your eyes on a secret! Between these covers is a long-lost chapter-and the original ending-from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and other delicious never-before-seen tidbits from Mr. Wonka's factory.
Emily
Mar 06, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. Seeing left out tidbits, learning more about Roald Dahl, the illustrations. All of it. Definitely worth the read. I would recommend this to any Roald Dahl fans. Easily 5 out of 5 stars. I just wish it were longer!
Nicole
Sep 02, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, you must read this book for the secret missing chapter and an alternative ending. Also, there is fun trivia about Roald Dahl and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in this wonderful book.
  • It's Heaven to Be Seven
  • Ounce Dice Trice
  • My Ol' Man
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • All Dogs Have ADHD
  • Flotsam
  • Daniel at the Siege of Boston 1776 (Boys of Wartime)
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street