Start by marking “They Thought for Themselves: Daring to Confront the Forbidden” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
They Thought for Thems...

Sid Roth

They Thought for Themselves: Daring to Confront the Forbidden

What is the connection among these people? How did they end up in the same book? Athiest, Holocaust survivor, multi-millionaire, Media Executive, PhD. They all defied the status quo and thought for themselves. They dared to explore and confront the forbidden. The result? Everything in their lives changes for the better! Author Sid Roth was instructed in a dream to find and ...more
Published March 10th 2010 by Destiny Image Incorporated (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about They Thought for Themselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Thought for Themselves

K.D. Absolutely
Jul 20, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, propaganda
This book would have been 5 stars if I were a rabid Christian apologist trying to convert Jews to Christianity.

Unfortunately, I am not. I attended Basic Apologetics Seminar last year but if there is one takeaway I had from those 13 half Saturdays, it is to respect other religions. I am not an argumentative kind of person and I am also conscious that it is our responsibility as children of God to propagate His words to our brothers in other religions. However, this should be done, according to me
rivka
Aug 14, 2012 rivka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avoid
Scummy, brain-washy propaganda masquerading as a book.

Sent to me free in the mail, presumably because I have a Jewish name.

Times like these I wish I had a fireplace, even though we are going through a heatwave.
Stacey
Oct 09, 2012 Stacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm yet another person who was sent this unsolicited because I have a Jewish last name. Creepy that they are targeting people like this. If I want the book, I'll order it, thank you.
Allison Coopersmith
A few years ago, the author of this book mailed my dad a copy of it. The author included a letter stating that the book would help my dad see the light and convert from Judaism to Christianity. (I lost the letter, but I still have the book.) My dad isn't even a practicing Jew, but, y'know, close enough.

The front cover of the book boasts that over 850,000 copies are in print, but I'd imagine that's because the author keeps giving free copies to unsuspecting Jews. The fact that Sid Roth would try
Stephanie Ziegler
Aug 21, 2012 Stephanie Ziegler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Author Sent to Me
I am not a Jewish person. I am not much of anything. I know that I believe in God, but I am still working up to reading the bible. While not Jewish, I respect other people’s beliefs and do not discriminate.

I wondered why the author used ordinary people to tell their stories and not famous people to make the book more appealing to readers. I realized that if the stories come from regular people like you and me, it would hit harder to home. This book shows Jewish people that not only is it okay t
Laina SpareTime
Jul 01, 2016 Laina SpareTime rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me
I got this in the mail today!

For my mom. Not the book blogger me. My mother, who is not online. So, creepy dude who sent my mother a free book, first of all, lose our address because, again, that's creepy, because I have a PO Box and that's what I use when I WANT to get mail.

So how the HELL did you get my house address? And lose it. Now.

Second, we don't believe in religion so, hey, nice job wasting, what, eight bucks? on postage because I'm gonna rid of this as soon as I'm done laughing at the f
Keith
Sep 06, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the stories of 10 Jews from very diverse backgrounds and how they came to accept that Jesus (or Yeshua to use the Hebrew form of the name) is the Messiah.

I was interested to see the path that each person took and the ways they came to the place of acknowledging Jesus is Lord.

The stories are interesting and quite well written.
Brian Williams
Mar 09, 2013 Brian Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome testimonies!
M. W. Moore
Haven't made a conclusion yet.
JJ
Jan 13, 2017 JJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
Interesting book. I got it in the mail for free. I was renting. The previous home owners were Jewish. I can agree with a lot of it because I am a Christian. I'm glad to see effort from a Jewish owned organization to get Jewish people to believe In Jesus.
Hany
Oct 03, 2016 Hany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vert good book. It's about Messianic Jews. Those who dared to read to read the bible (New Testament) to discover that Jesus was the Messiah. Yeshua, as the Jews call him, fulfils all the prophecies about the Messiah in the old testament. Messianic Jews dared to think for themselves instead of letting the Rabbis think for them.
Jonathan Esterman
Jan 02, 2015 Jonathan Esterman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in the mail to my surprise one day, and found a letter from Sid Roth included that urged me, as a Jew, to read the book and learn “secrets” to extraordinary blessings. I had not heard of Sid Roth nor the book, and had no idea what to expect. So, it sat on my shelf for a few months until one Shabbat, when my wife and I decided to read it together to see what it was.

I was shocked. The book was ten true tales of Jewish acceptance of the Messiah. I thought I was a minority in be
Mitchell Weiner
I received this book in the mail sometime in August unsolicited. I was tempted to pass on this book, recycle it, re-gift it. Whatever you want to call it. Instead I decided to read it realizing it was promotional literature for the author's website.

It contains testimonials from 10 Jewish-born converts to Christianity who have come to believe in the Messiah after a series of life-changing events. While,as a practicing Jew, I admit I could have been offended by the book's content, I do know there
Ryan
Jun 06, 2012 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to my sister. She gave it to me as a joke birthday gift, but I think she suspected I wouldn't be able to resist the challenge. The book is trying to get get Jewish people to realize that Jesus is the savior. Of course we aren't Jewish so they should do their homework better. The book also claims over a million in print. That is because they give them away; that doesn't mean a millions sold. Anyhow, the book was educational as it gave me some insight into how die-hard Jews view ...more
S
Jan 02, 2011 S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book only one star because, for the most part, I did not enjoy reading it, however I decided to give it two stars for a couple of reasons. First, I gave one additional star because the author(s) are trying to do something they view as noble. Second, I gave it two stars for fear that what the authors preach might be true and I don't want to get on anybody's bad side (further than I already am).
Halina
Apr 08, 2012 Halina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to us (or really to my husband) in the mail. I think they thought we were Jewish as it's filled with testimonials of messianic Jews. Anyhow...I liked reading the short bios of these folks...just not sure if they were all honest (I really hope they were). I hate being so skeptical...but some of these stories were nothing short of true miracles. I do admire people who have the courage to speak about what is important and true in their lives.
Sueann Porter
Jan 28, 2015 Sueann Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains ten stories of Jewish people who found their Jewish Messiah.

These are stories of every day people from different backgrounds. There is a Holocaust Survivor, a concert pianist, and even a "Jewish Atheist."

If anyone would like to borrow this book, email me at SueAnnPorter@yahoo.com -- I will mail it to you.

Linda
May 15, 2010 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book my mother wants to give to Amanda about 10 Jews converting to Christianity because "they thought for themselves" Little does she recognize that others who "think for themselves" covert to other faiths. Not well written, anecdotal with but few relevant questions/responses. Not very convincing in my mind.
Ornpak7
Aug 05, 2012 Ornpak7 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not really a book, but an advertisement for Jesus. It becomes obvious after the first page. It was sent to me with a bogus claim of over 2 million copies in print to encourage people to read. I read the first page and will be putting it in my recycle trash can or giving to someone as a gag gift. I hate people who send out this crap.
Diana Nagy
Mar 21, 2016 Diana Nagy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was okay. I got some pretty good information out of it but I didn't like it as much because it was about Jewish religion which I, of course, am not. However, I read this book because me interest in other culture's beliefs and ways of living and this book didn't show me anything other than the fact that Jewish individuals believe in the same Jesus Christ as we do here in America.
Abbey
Aug 27, 2012 Abbey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how I got this book in the mail, it was sent to my parent's address. Decided to read it anyway. Wasn't overly impressed with it, but it wasn't horrible either. I may give it away to someone as a gag gift...who knows...
Karen Salisbury
Dec 03, 2015 Karen Salisbury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are the stories of ten amazing Jews who met Jesus for themselves, and it changed their lives. I loved this book! I love Sid Roth! He is a man on a mission to bring Messiah to his people through exploring the supernatural, and I am a fan!
Catherine Sandy
Aug 05, 2011 Catherine Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
contains testimonies of Messianic Jews. Very good. They were saved when they decided to search the Old Testament and found that Christ fulfilled all the prophesies in the Old Testament.
Tracy
Jan 06, 2013 Tracy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do not recommend this book. Was sent to me via USPS - I'm not Jewish. Too much of we must repent and confess our sins.
Amber Bingham
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Paul
Jan 03, 2011 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As noted, good testimonies for Jews seeking Truth. It's introductory though, as each testimony was a long journey.
Holly
Oct 16, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten Jews, of widely varying backgrounds, give their accounts of their personal experiences of coming to know Jesus as their Jewish Messiah.
Judy Greenwood
May 08, 2014 Judy Greenwood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like having a leisurely conversation with the man in the park wearing "The End is Nigh" placard.

It wasn't worth the price. It was free
Jamie
May 03, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this book. I found I learned a lot more about Judaism by reading this book about Jews who testify about their experiences in coming to recognize Jeshua and believe in Him.
David Sosnow
David Sosnow rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
BOOK? 1 5 Jan 23, 2013 06:47AM
  • Christmas Crooks of Rainbow Road
  • Blown Coverage
  • The Bastard King (Scepter of Mercy #1)
  • Hand Of Fire (Forgotten Realms: Shandril's Saga, #3)
  • Choices: Taking Control of Your Life and Making It Matter
  • The Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Workbook: Exercises, Questions, and Self-Tests to Help You Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal
  • I'd Rather Laugh: How to be Happy Even When Life Has Other Plans forYou
  • The Book of Myself: A Do-It Yourself Autobiography in 20 Questions
  • I Hope You Dance [With I Hope You Dance CD]
  • Power for Living
  • A Year on Your Path to Growth: Daily Inspirations to Reconnect with Your Soul
  • Mira's Diary: Home Sweet Rome (Mira's Diary, #2)
  • Apples of Gold