Start by marking “Blood Song (Blood Singer #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Song (Blood Singer #1)

Blood Song (Blood Singer #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  4,593 ratings  ·  394 reviews
Blood Song is the first book in a fantastic urban fantasy series by bestselling author Cat Adams.

Published June 8th 2010 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Song

Missie

Another one I had to force myself to finish. *sighs*

I started this book last month for Blog with Bite, and tried to have it done before the review deadline, but somewhere along the way, I completely lost interest. I revisited it this past weekend because of the Read Your Own Books Read-a-Thon, and I can't say I enjoyed it very much.

The plot was a white hot mess, as were the plethora of unnecessary characters! I just couldn't wrap my mind around what was go
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Celia is a bodyguard who is sent to guard the Prince of Rusland, which in the book is located in the Ukraine. While guarding the Prince is a series of shady strip clubs, Celia is set up in a political plot and ends up being killed. Well not really killed, a Master Vampire bites her but doesn’t drain her nor does he change her, so she becomes an Abomination (a term for the in-between stage, not fully mortal but not undead either). There aren’t many recorded instances of Abomination’s, but those w ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Review:
It’s no longer enough to have traditional vampires or classic werewolves in urban fantasy books, we want something new, something innovative when it comes to the supernatural. In Cat Adams (aka C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp) BLOOD SONG we get treated to a host of new (and tweaked familiar) paranormal creatures including bats, nulls, abominations, werewolves, demons, clairvoyants, mages, psychics, and others I can’t giveaway.

Celia Graves
Leeanna
Blood Song, by Cat Adams

"Blood Song," featuring tough bodyguard Celia Graves, is the first in a new urban fantasy/paranormal series. Celia is at first a "vanilla" human - no magical abilities - but quickly becomes an abomination when a bodyguard gig goes horribly wrong.

Celia has to quickly learn to deal with her new existence as a cross between a vampire (bat) and a human; she has supernatural abilities such as quicker healing, but also weaknesses such as craving blood. If that wasn't enough, s
Mrs. Badass
This book has a lot of promise. But fell flat for me. Celia Graves is a human bodyguard. She get's paid a lot and has a lot of cool guns and magical enchanted weaponry. She often goes up against 'monsters' (Vampires {Called Bats} Apparently she is good at what she does, but we don't see that really, she just tells us that. When she get's attacked and becomes an abomination, the story stalls and most of the dialogue is internal woe is me, "Omg what am I gonna do, this just totally sucks for me!" ...more
Liv
I just finished the book and thought that I should write this review while things are still relatively fresh in my mind... This book could have potential - the premise, the setup, the characters could have been 10 times better. Unfortunately, while I saw the potential of a good book, Blood Song just didn't cut it with me. I had one word to describe it - FLAT. The plot was flat; the writing was flat, the characters were flat. So, just plain FLAT - and I can't think of a better word for it.

I can i
~Tina~
While I thought the twist in magical paranormal was fascinating and the characters were head strong and strikingly created, I could not for the life of me get into the plot and writing flow.
This is just me, since I picked this up thinking it was YA and didn't know it was UF till after (oopsy) But I don't think this is why I didn't like it, it lacked...spark.
I think I'll have to give this one a re-read another time.
However, anyone looking for an original concept in urban fantasy should find Bloo
Schwana
I was not sure what to expect when I received this book. It caught my attention right away. The main character, Celia Graves, is a diverse individual. I was pleased to find that she is not the "oh woe is me" or "I can kick anyone's butt" type of character. I enjoyed that she can take as good as she gets; she is not just a "pretty face" nor is she just an average run-of-the-mill character in which everyone just absolutely loves.

I got to the end of the book and wanted to grab the next book and sta
Kandle
Before I get started on this review let me just say that I've tried to read this book before. I finally managed to finish it after several attempts. And that's an understatement. I've had this book on my "Going to Read" list for a couple of YEARS. And I now I remember why I've been putting it off.

First off, the whole book is all over the place. I understand that the author is trying to incorporate pieces of the main character's past into the story but the way she did it only succeeded to make my
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Breia "The Brain" Brickey for TeensReadToo.com

BLOOD SONG is the work of amazing duo C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp, writing as Cat Adams.

In this story we meet Celia Graves, a bodyguard to the rich and famous who, although she is a regular human, knows about ghosts, demons, and other types of supernatural beings. While on assignment guarding a prince from a small European country, she is left wounded from a vampire attack.

This attack leaves her as an Abomination, not really vampire but no
Susan ...so many books and so little time
Amazing book...I loved it from beginning to end!!! I love the main character Celia...she is strong willed...and has a great eye for weapons...my kind of woman!!! I am definitely going to read the next book in the series...I need to know what happens next!!!
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Bodyguard Celia Graves has definitely accepted her share of weird assignments, both human and supernatural. But her newest job takes the cake. Guarding a Prince from terrorists and religious fundamentalists is hard enough, but it seems like the entire supernatural world is after this guy too. When she is betrayed by those she is employed to help, and everything goes horribly wrong, Celia wakes to find herself transformed.

Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an Abomination—somethi
Jessica
I was about ready to give up on urban fantasy, because as I've complained in other reviews, few of Buffy's ass-kicking, demon/vampire/werewolf/whatever-slaying descendants tend to be likable in the least.

I picked up Blood Song while in Wisconsin, intending to read it on my flight back to Seattle, but ended up getting absorbed in the Hunger Games instead. I should have been reading this series earlier, clearly.

Celia Graves is a bodyguard (yay! Something other than a detective!) who's taken a gig
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
After reading this, I had quite a few unanswered questions. At times the story was all over the place and couldn't decide what path it was going to take. It's left me confused about certain outcomes plus quite a few characters were introduced and I didn't always understand their significance with so little information being given about them.

Mainly I wanted to meet Celia's sire, learn about his relationship to Edgar, and more about these vampires in general but this was scuppered by the King of R
Jessica(Spinecracker)
Originaly posted on http://thespinecracker.blogspot.com/

Blood Song is one of the most original character-based pieces of fiction I've read since maybe Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking. There's a story to be fair, but it's all about Celia and the secrets she discovers about herself and the ones around her. The writing duo of Cathy Clamp and C.T. Adams, or better known to you and me as Cat Adams, knows how to utilize 1st person POV. Every action, conversation, inner monologue is all with
Lura (The Life of Serendipity)
Bodyguard Celia Graves piles her trade in a world where vampires roam the night and movie stars openly practice witchcraft, where cops use memory enhancement spells on witnesses and street-corner psychics have real powers. And ordinary , Celia use her street smarts- and charmed weapons to protect the rich and famous.

Celia is guarding the prince of a small but politically vital nation while he tours Los Angele's least savory hot spots when she is attacked by a master vampire.

Expecting to die, Cel
Van (Short & Sweet Reviews)
Won from Goodreads First Reads :)

The first thing that caught my attention was the cover, it's very beautiful and definitely peaked my interest. The novel is set in Los Angeles, California, where we get a first person POV from bodyguard Celia Graves. She is a human bodyguard that is hired to protect a prince, and from than on things just get more complicated for her. She gets attacked by a bat aka 'vampire', so now she must find her sire before he finds her.

I was hooked from the first page of th
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
So I love this series. The next book comes out tomorrow so I'm reading them all again (it's been years)--need to refresh so I know what's going on. And it's FUN. Celia is awesome. There are loads of strong female heroines these days, but the assassins and bodyguards are always my favorites. Snarky female bodyguards are even better ;)
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
Well, I know I read this book yet it didn't really stick in my mind. How bad is that? This was an okay book since I can't remember even enough to write a full review. Since this was over a year ago, I could use that excuse except I remember books from when I was a kid. O_o
Maria
Wow! I love/hate beginning of series when you finish the book and immediately start planning your life for when the next book comes out. It's even worse when you have an ARC copy.

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
“Blood Song” by Cat Adams was a funny, action-packed story focusing on a human female bodyguard living and working in a world overrun with magic, vampires, werewolves, and all things mystical and, supposedly, mythological who on her last job was setup and nearly killed and now must find out who set her up before they finish the job permanently.

I truly enjoyed meeting Celia Graves. She was quite the interesting and complex character who really never understood her true potential until she nearly
Michelle
Blood Song is the first book in the Blood Song series by Cat Adams and a TOR novel.

Book Blurb:

Bodyguard Celia Graves plies her trade in a world where vampires roam the alleys of Tinseltown and movie stars openly practice witchcraft, where street corner psychics have real powers and cops use memory enhancement spells on witnesses. An ordinary human, Celia relies on street smarts and charmed weapons to protect the rich and famous from mortal and supernatural threats.

She's landed a plum job protect
sj
Full disclosure, I'm really only reading this series because I won the fourth installment from First Reads. I'm not entirely sorry I read it, but I am a little disappointed.

Good Stuff

The world building was excellent. The two ladies that are Cat Adams created a believable AU, where magic, vampires, werewolves and demons are fairly commonplace. I bought what they were selling.

The main characters seemed to be fully realized (but there were some other issues with characterization that I'll touch on
Nafiza

Blood Song – Cat Adams

September 4th, 2010 § Leave a Comment

Synopsis:

Bodyguard Celia Graves plies her trade in a world where vampires roam the alleys of Tinseltown and movie stars openly practice witchcraft., where streetcorner psychics have real powers and cops use memory enhancement spells on witnesses. Though she’s an ordinary human, Celia uses street smarts and charmed weapons to protect the rich and famous from mortal and supernatural threats.

She’s landed a plum job, protecting the Prince of
Holly
I received this as an advanced copy from the giveaways and didn't read it until now. I know that's not the point of giving someone an advanced copy, but whatever. I read it, didn't I?

For some reason, I was thinking this was a YA book. Not sure why. It was certainly a little surprise when they kept referring to her graduation from college. Obviously not a YA book.

But that didn't mean it was bad. Yeah, it took me a little while to get into it and a few days to finish it. It's such a different worl
Kathy Davie
First in the Blood Singer urban fantasy series revolving around Celia Graves, a personal security specialist in Southern California.

My Take
Well this was different! Talk about drama and tension. Thank you, lord, for not making Graves a whinging, drama queen! Instead, she's kick ass with compassion with an unusual living arrangement, an independent consultant with her own security business, a range of also-unusual friends, and the "required" dysfunctional family.

While Graves gets on well with the
Donna
Blood Song was a fast and entertaining read with plenty of turns in the plot that keep you guessing. The story line itself actually took a turn in a different direction that I wasn't expecting, which made it refreshing.

Vampirism is something that isn't romanticized in this story's realms, it's actually more a death sentence. So they fact that Celia is only half-turned has it's good and bad sides, which lends the story an edge.

The characters were easy to relate to and sympathize with. Especiall
Mikaela
Cat Adams is another author that I have wanted to read for awhile, so when Tor offered their first three books for 2.99 I bought the first one.

Once I started reading this book, I devoured it. It is set in an intriguing world, filled with a number of paranormal creatures. What I liked were the fact that Celia was already a part of it as her job.
The world felt solid, and well researched both when it comes to vampires, werewolves and demons. I loved how holy water affected demons, and the silver af
Blood Rose Books
Cat Adams (aka C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp),bring one of their first book writing under this name and this is the first book in their Blood Singer Series.

Celia Grave, is a bodyguard with a great reputation and comes at a high price but she is worth the money but this means she gets her share of weird human and supernatural assignments. So when she is approached to guard one of the Princes of Rusland, while he has fun in his final days a bachelor, she isn’t too concerned, other than getting a f
Cody

Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an Abomination—somethi
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. UF or PNR book [s] 11 66 Apr 29, 2014 05:20PM
Bruno or creede? 3 14 Aug 07, 2013 09:44PM
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
  • Shadowfae (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #1)
  • Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Blood Politics (Blood Destiny, #4)
  • The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com, #1)
  • Touch of Evil (Thrall, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
This is the pen name of Cathy Clamp and C.T. Adams (co-authors of the Thrall trilogy and the Sazi series published by Tor). They created this name to write under to make it easier for new fans (or old) to find them on the book shelves.

More about Cat Adams...
Demon Song (Blood Singer, #3) Siren Song (Blood Singer, #2) The Isis Collar (Blood Singer, #4) The Eldritch Conspiracy (Blood Singer, #5) To Dance With the Devil (Blood Singer, #6)

“It's already bad. I'm honestly not sure how much worse it's going to get." Notice that I didn't say couldn't get worse. It can always get worse. I know this. And thus I refuse to tempt fate. Superstitious - probably. But magic exists. So does karma, and karma can be a bitch.” 76 likes