Start by marking “When You Are Happy” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
When you are afraid
I will take your hand
and not let go--

In this delightful and lyrical text by renowned children's author Eileen Spinelli, a young girl finds reassurance from all of her family members and learns that love complements every mood. Coupled with dazzling art by illustrator Geraldo Valério, her words become a beautiful reminder of the care and comforts of u
Published April 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When You Are Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Are Happy

Nanor & Co.
Feb 10, 2015 Nanor & Co. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A delightful book!

"I will outleap the frog,
outbuzz the bee,
outwink the firefly."
Relyn
Jul 15, 2015 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Eileen Spinelli
In spite of putting this book on my "it's-a-perfect-book" shelf, I have to tell you that the illustrations DO NOT thrill me. I love the words enough to make up for the chaotic, crayon-y illustration style by Geraldo Valerio. This book is nothing less than a love letter from a parent to his or her child. Listen:
When you are sick,

Perfection,
Ms Threlkeld
Jan 02, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is pure joy! I lingered over each page, wanting to bask in the detailed and enchanting illustrations. Wonderful story to read to a child before bedtime or to remind children how much they are loved.
Christy
Jan 25, 2014 Christy rated it it was amazing
In this delightful and lyrical text by renowned children's author Eileen Spinelli, a young girl finds reassurance from all of her family members and learns that love complements every mood. Coupled with dazzling art by illustrator Geraldo Valério, her words become a beautiful reminder of the care and comf..
Christina Riddo
Sep 21, 2014 Christina Riddo rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
One day I plan on reading this book to my own children to let them know how much I love them. This book could easily turn into a comfort story when a child is feeling lonely or sad.
Ashley
Jan 23, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-flora
I absolutely love everything about this book
Leah
Magical magical feelings.
angelle
Jan 14, 2009 angelle rated it liked it
Just a great happy book for children (and adults!)My daughter-in-law Rachel found this in her library in Longmont and gave a copy to Jana. Then I ordered a copy and gave it to my grand-daughter Ella (Spencer and Rachel's daughter). I have looked at more books by Eileen Spinelli and by Jerry Spinelli and have decided that I want to read them all!
Mary Crytzer
Oct 27, 2013 Mary Crytzer rated it it was amazing
Book about unconditional love from family. Adults as well as children can experience much sentiment reading this. I especially loved the whimsical illustrations. The pictures seem to come from a child's daydream.
Melissa
Apr 25, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: children-s-books
I have not really taken the time to add children's books to my book list, but I just had to add this one. I really enjoyed this sweet book about the nature of our love for special people in our lives. I loved it.
Edna
Apr 21, 2010 Edna rated it liked it
Shelves: love, family, feelings, lyrical
Although a bit long, this book is beautifully lyrical with poetic expressions made by adult family members to reassure a child in the family, that their love will always be there for support.
Tricia
Jan 04, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
difficult to read without weeping, so touching. from parent to child, reminder of how much we care about our offspring. not for readaloud to groups--definitely for family sharing.
Amanda S.
Nov 25, 2013 Amanda S. rated it really liked it
The author, Eileen Spinelli did an amazing job of conveying the message of this book. Loved ones will be there to comfort a young child. Every child deserves to be loved and kept safe.
Phuong
May 11, 2012 Phuong rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Maura was bored by this book. It's really written to the parents, such as that book I'll LOVE YOU FOREVER (which I dislike b/c it is so sappy). This book is sappy too.
Rachelle
Nov 05, 2008 Rachelle rated it it was amazing
I just picked this book up at the library because my daughter asked for something pretty. I absolutely adore it. It will be one for our bookshelves. Beautifully poetic.
Lisa
Oct 29, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-picturebooks
This Eileen Spinelli title is a beautiful book filled with whimsical illustrations, sweet words and envelopes of love and hope for any child or adult.
Whitney Mertin
Apr 22, 2010 Whitney Mertin rated it really liked it
I liked this book! The pictures are so colorful and intriguing! It made me think about all the emotions we can feel and what makes me happy.
Rachel
Mar 13, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
The captivating colors, whimsically happy illustrations and poetical illusions make for a sweet parent/child experience.
Graham
Aug 19, 2008 Graham rated it it was amazing
I learned that there are many wonderful people in my life who will be there for me no matter what
Heather Tietz
Mar 29, 2011 Heather Tietz rated it it was amazing
For the parent of any moody child...the words and illustrations are invigorating.
Rebecca
Jun 21, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed this one more than my son. Felt like a spoken word poem.
Tamara the Librarian
very lyrical language. expresses love of parent for child.
Amy
Aug 27, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Most beautiful children's book I read when I was not a child.
April
Sep 11, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-5
Poetry about feelings. Caring and full of love. Beautiful.
Marybeth
Sep 29, 2008 Marybeth rated it it was amazing
One of m,y favorite kids books! A must read!
Marie Corbitt
Apr 07, 2013 Marie Corbitt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable!!!
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Emily Myhren
Emily Myhren rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Jeslyn Zhou
Jeslyn Zhou rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...