Start by marking “When You Are Happy” as Want to Read:

When you are afraid
I will take your hand
and not let go--

Published April 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When You Are Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Are Happy

Ms Threlkeld
This book is pure joy! I lingered over each page, wanting to bask in the detailed and enchanting illustrations. Wonderful story to read to a child before bedtime or to remind children how much they are loved.
Christy
In this delightful and lyrical text by renowned children's author Eileen Spinelli, a young girl finds reassurance from all of her family members and learns that love complements every mood. Coupled with dazzling art by illustrator Geraldo Valério, her words become a beautiful reminder of the care and comf..
Christina Riddo
One day I plan on reading this book to my own children to let them know how much I love them. This book could easily turn into a comfort story when a child is feeling lonely or sad.
Ashley
I absolutely love everything about this book
angelle
Just a great happy book for children (and adults!)My daughter-in-law Rachel found this in her library in Longmont and gave a copy to Jana. Then I ordered a copy and gave it to my grand-daughter Ella (Spencer and Rachel's daughter). I have looked at more books by Eileen Spinelli and by Jerry Spinelli and have decided that I want to read them all!
Mary Crytzer
Book about unconditional love from family. Adults as well as children can experience much sentiment reading this. I especially loved the whimsical illustrations. The pictures seem to come from a child's daydream.
Melissa
Apr 25, 2008 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: children-s-books
I have not really taken the time to add children's books to my book list, but I just had to add this one. I really enjoyed this sweet book about the nature of our love for special people in our lives. I loved it.
Edna
Although a bit long, this book is beautifully lyrical with poetic expressions made by adult family members to reassure a child in the family, that their love will always be there for support.
Tricia
difficult to read without weeping, so touching. from parent to child, reminder of how much we care about our offspring. not for readaloud to groups--definitely for family sharing.
Amanda S.
The author, Eileen Spinelli did an amazing job of conveying the message of this book. Loved ones will be there to comfort a young child. Every child deserves to be loved and kept safe.
Phuong
May 11, 2012 Phuong rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Maura was bored by this book. It's really written to the parents, such as that book I'll LOVE YOU FOREVER (which I dislike b/c it is so sappy). This book is sappy too.
Rachelle
I just picked this book up at the library because my daughter asked for something pretty. I absolutely adore it. It will be one for our bookshelves. Beautifully poetic.
Lisa
This Eileen Spinelli title is a beautiful book filled with whimsical illustrations, sweet words and envelopes of love and hope for any child or adult.
Whitney Mertin
I liked this book! The pictures are so colorful and intriguing! It made me think about all the emotions we can feel and what makes me happy.
Rachel
The captivating colors, whimsically happy illustrations and poetical illusions make for a sweet parent/child experience.
Graham
I learned that there are many wonderful people in my life who will be there for me no matter what
Heather Tietz
For the parent of any moody child...the words and illustrations are invigorating.
Rebecca
I think I enjoyed this one more than my son. Felt like a spoken word poem.
Tamara the Librarian
very lyrical language. expresses love of parent for child.
Amy
Most beautiful children's book I read when I was not a child.
April
Sep 11, 2011 April rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 3-5
Poetry about feelings. Caring and full of love. Beautiful.
Marybeth
One of m,y favorite kids books! A must read!
Gary Masskin
Gary Masskin marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch Where I Live The Dancing Pancake Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale Silly Tilly