Start by marking “Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising” as Want to Read:
Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising

Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Writing from the front lines, Starhawk chronicles the global justice movement sparked by Seattle's 1999 anti-World Trade Organization protest. A life-long activist, Starhawk is deeply involved as a direct action participant and trainer in the antiglobalization movement.

The book is divided into "Actions" and "Visions." In Part I, Starhawk begins with an overview of the comp
Published August 1st 2002 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Webs of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Webs of Power

Ryan Mishap
“Notes From the Global Uprising”, this 2002 books recounts Starhawk’s internet posts from protests in Seattle, Quebec, D.C., Genoa, and from nonviolence trainings Brazil and elsewhere, as well as new text, a look at globalization, nonviolence vs. violence (and moving beyond this dichotomy), building the movement, and visions for the future. While I have a few quibbles with her stuff here—equating anarchism with direct democracy for instance—, mostly I think this is great. The reports from the pr ...more
Megan
I had heard really good things about this book, but was a little bit skeptical about it given that the author calls herself a Witch. And, indeed, she talks about casting spells and such throughout the book, but not at any great depth, and also in a way that came off as less ridiculous than I expected. (Think of it as 'casting good vibes' rather than casting spells.)
But whatever your take on Paganism, it remains that Starhawk writes eloquently about the needs for the global justice movement and t
Kate Mura
This book is amazing. I go back to it whenever I need to reconnect to magick and politics and regain perspective on the whole greater than what swirls around directly effecting me.
MotherMagic
Collection of Starhawk's essays, many of which were formerly housed on her website. What's wrong with WTO, World Bank, globalization, etc? Here are some pretty good explanations.
Jen Lighty
A good introduction to the truth about how corporations are controlling our reality and the movement to create something new based on justice for all beings.
Marjorie Jensen
Starhawk's Spiral Dance was one of the things that set me on the path to becoming a Witch many years ago. The connections between magic and politics are the best parts of Webs of Power. I am very interested in how earth-based spirituality is linked to conservation efforts. The use of ritual and even Tarot in Starhawk's political actions was fascinating.
Sharon
Aug 01, 2007 Sharon marked it as to-read
I've had this on my shelf for a couple of years...just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Karenp
Karenp added it
Aug 16, 2015
Kimmy
Kimmy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Sunny Logsdon
Sunny Logsdon marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Jody Mena
Jody Mena marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Nicolina Miller
Nicolina Miller marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Kalin
Kalin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Mujer Del Fuego
Mujer Del Fuego marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Moyra
Moyra marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Tina Horn
Tina Horn marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Bryan Winchell
Bryan Winchell marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Tamera
Tamera added it
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Organizing for Social Change: Midwest Academy Manual for Activists
  • Nostradamus: The Complete Prophecies
  • The Global Activists' Manual: Acting Locally to Transform the World
  • The Map: To Our Responsive Universe, Where Dreams Really Do Come True!
  • Free Women of Spain: Anarchism and the Struggle for the Emancipation of Women
  • How Shall I Live My Life?: On Liberating the Earth from Civilization
  • Standing Up To the Madness: Ordinary Heroes In Extraordinary Times
  • Guerrilla Gardening: A Manualfesto
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • The Secret Teachings of Plants: The Intelligence of the Heart in the Direct Perception of Nature
  • The Next American Revolution: Sustainable Activism for the Twenty-First Century
  • Plant Spirit Healing: A Guide to Working with Plant Consciousness
  • Slave Species of the Gods: The Secret History of the Anunnaki and Their Mission on Earth
  • Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality
  • The Grandmother of Time: A Woman's Book of Celebrations, Spells, and Sacred Objects for Every Month of the Year
  • Passport to the Cosmos: Human Transformation and Alien Encounters
  • The New Diary: How to use a journal for self-guidance and expanded creativity.
  • Political Ponerology
Starhawk (born Miriam Simos) is an American writer, anarchist activist, and self-described witch. She is well known as a theorist of Paganism, and is one of the foremost popular voices of ecofeminism. She is a columnist for both Beliefnet.com and On Faith (the Newsweek online forum on religion).

Starhawk currently lives in San Francisco, where she works with Reclaiming, a tradition of Witchcraft th
More about Starhawk...
The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Goddess The Fifth Sacred Thing (Maya Greenwood, #1) Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over

“In a culture where profit has become the true God, self-sacrifice can seem incomprehensible rather than noble.” 22 likes