Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions

Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  706 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In our rushed, stressed society, it's sometimes difficult to spend meaningful time as a family. Now Starhawk, Diane Baker, and Anne Hill offer new ways to foster a sense of togetherness through celebrations that honor the sacredness of life and our Mother Earth.

Goddess tradition embraces the wheel of life, the never-ending cycle of birth, growth, love, fulfillment, and dea...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Circle Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle Round

Wicca by Scott CunninghamLiving Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkEarth, Air, Fire & Water by Scott CunninghamA Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar
Best Books for Wiccans
14th out of 111 books — 128 voters
Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas SchreckThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton
The Best Pagan Books
52nd out of 199 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

Polly
Apr 03, 2012 Polly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
While this book earns points as being an important work - a much-needed reference for a growing number of Pagan families - and one of the first of its' kind, I found it to be of average quality and content.

Aside from the retelling of stories through the book, it was difficult to tell if it was being written for an adult audience or for pre-teens. It seemed to fluctuate back and forth.

There were many wonderful songs, stories and activities, along with ideas for building Earth-based traditions wit...more
Abby
This book is amazing! I pick it up over and over again. Bought it on a trip on a whim. Have spent a weekend with Starhawk and she is truly magical. This is a great way to learn about the earth based spirituality that she practices and teaches.
Feel like there is a strong lack and need of ritual in our modern life and want to raise my child with spirituality outside of religion. It is very comforting and helpful to have a guidebook. Love the different perspectives and experiences of the three diff...more
Hayley
I didn't really read this one cover to cover, because it is more of a reference guide. Rather, I just skimmed through it. But it seems like something I'd like to have around the house to refer back to in the future.
Brandann
What is to say about Circle Round? It isn't really a book you finish. It is both a great primer for a young one who is of competent reading ability who wants to learn about Earth Traditions and is a great guide for a parent or guardian who wants to help a child learn about the same.

It is filled with stories, facts, songs, and some easy activities to help ease a child into the sometimes more rigorous world of practicing Pagan traditions. It helps teach ways for a child to learn to meditate, and r...more
Erin Davis
I have almost worn my copy out. It is a wonderful reference for Pagan and Wiccan parents. This book definitely got more dog-eared than Dr. Spock and the What To Expect books did!
Miss Jimenez
Not only a helpful way for Pagan's to explain their religion to their children but provides fun activities and recipes to bring the family closer together. Even if you don't have children the explantions are worth reading if you ever want to explain Paganism to a friend or family member. The explanations are simple and the stories are easy to understand yet interesting. The recipes and crafts are also things you find at a local store or at home so you won't have to search all everywhere trying t...more
Rebecca
This seems to be useful mostly as a reference for families who already have a grounding in some Pagan tradition. As a holiday approaches you can turn to the relevant section and find stories, activities, and ideas for ritual. My daughter and I have enjoyed a number of them. I feel like there's a lot more to be said about raising children in these traditions, and I was hoping they'd get into more than they did - but there are a lot of good ideas in here.
Alexandra Chauran
This book was much better than I expected when I placed a hold at the library. I expected a feminist, Goddess-centric activity book. What I found was a huge comprehensive parenting tome that, while certainly Goddess leaning, did not leave out the God or fathers or sons. I really liked the format of sheet music, recipes, stories (written mostly by the fabulous storyteller Starhawk) and yes some goofy activities too. I ended up buying my own copy of this book.
MotherMagic
A must have resource for Earth Spiritualist parents, imo. Full of story and myth retellings to offer a younger audience, children's songs, ritual and handcraft ideas, recipes, and advice on raising children with a healthy, authentic experience of Goddess and Earth Spirituality. Organized with chapters for each turn of the Wheel of the Year, plus more sections on rites of passage and other topics. I refer to this often.
Kerry
I would eventually like to teach my daughter, who is now two, about paganism and it is challenging since there is not a lot out there about teaching children spirituality from a pagan perspective. Has lots of recipes and crafts for the whole year. The best thing about it is the short stories that read like pagan myths and fairy tales, something that I felt I was sorely missing.
Geoff
One of my favorite books on my "pagan" shelf, this book has been a great guide and companion as we've raised our son in the Goddess tradition. We've read stories, made crafts and cooked recipies from the book. The authors discuss of Goddesses and Gods from different traditions, and share some stories of the ways their own families bring these forces into their lives.
Rachel
I picked this up at my local library and will definitely buy it. I've been an unorganized practitioner who barely knows about holidays or any of the traditions. This book has helped me to feel more confident in reaching out to the community and participating in rituals. It has all the info i need to finally share my spiritual life with my family.
Lily
This book is great for trying to find ways to bring earth based tradtions to Sometimes its hard to figure ways to bring these tradtions and others into the 21st century in a authentic, simple way. Although I dont use many of her suggestions I read them and adapt them to my own way of belief.

I'm a Starhawk fan.
Sari
If you get the accompanying CD, the music is awesome. My son enjoys a few of the fun or more upbeat songs and the others I can appreciate more. I hope to start reading some of the stories to my eldest now he is a bit older and do some of the crafts too. A nice resource to have on hand.
Jacqui
excellent beginner's book to offer insight into the importance of ritual surrounding holy days and the wheel of the year. offers recipes, anecdotes, crafts and a basic explanation of each sabbat. bought it for research and kept it because it is a beautiful book with great ideas.
Erika Barrington
Dec 27, 2010 Erika Barrington added it
Shelves: woo
Another great find on the playroom shelves! I'm excited to steal this one. A great reference so far. Though, as Jen pointed out, and I have noticed as well, it is focused more towards old-ish kids, and isn't as applicable to the younger kiddos in our house.
Liz
Love this book! It has so many great traditions for each season and holiday. Also talks about rites of passage celebrations and ceremonies. From music to art to food to storytelling......We are going to use many of these traditions in our family.
Eryn
I know this book is meant to teach children about earth traditions, but I have found it to be quaint and helpful in my own search to understand and celebrate nature/ spirituality. It also offers crafts, poems and ideas for celebrating.
Jennifer Wyld
This is a great resource for all pagan parents- it is so good and life affirming and none of the ickyness that some of pagan culture includes- your children will be whole, just if they hear these stories!

Jamie
Great book of ideas and beautiful integrated Unity based philosophies- love the activities that cultivate connectedness with the Earth and Natural Rhythms of the Seasons.
Aradia V
Although this is geared toward raising children in Goddess traditions...I find myself referencing it ALL the time. Great stories, great rituals, recipes, crafts.
Jennifer James
This book has some great ideas for celebrating the holidays of the Wheel of the Year. I plan to buy it and use it as a reference. The recipes look especially fun.
Ranae
This is a great book to get your children into the traditions. I also use it for our guide book in our family gatherings for activities with the children.
Suzanne
A useful tool for Pagan parents, although I don't recommend this for a must-have tool for toddlers.. this is good for older children and Pagan families.
The best book ever for families raising children in the earth-based Goddess Traditions. Includes explanations, stories, crafts & activities.
Deidre
The essential pagan parenting book. I even bought one for my crafty but not necessarily pagan sister in law & she LOVED it.
Jenny Crane
Excellent book for getting ideas to celebrate the seasons with a pagan bent, or just in a secular way.
Bethany
This book is helping our family learn ways of honoring the natural cycles that we are a part of.
Wyllow
I love this book so much - I am on my second copy and it is falling apart already...
Kelly
A great book for those who wish to raise their child or children in the Old Ways.
  • Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-Honoring Activities for Parents and Children
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives - Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends and Emotions Under the Moon
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • The Goddess Path: Myths, Invocations, and Rituals
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • An ABC of Witchcraft: Past and Present
  • Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
Starhawk (born Miriam Simos) is an American writer, anarchist activist, and self-described witch. She is well known as a theorist of Paganism, and is one of the foremost popular voices of ecofeminism. She is a columnist for both Beliefnet.com and On Faith (the Newsweek online forum on religion).

Starhawk currently lives in San Francisco, where she works with Reclaiming, a tradition of Witchcraft th...more
More about Starhawk...
The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Goddess The Fifth Sacred Thing (Maya Greenwood, #1) Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over