Start by marking “Monkey See, Monkey Draw” as Want to Read:
Monkey See, Monkey Draw

Monkey See, Monkey Draw

The monkeys that live at the foot of the Mbuno Hills in Africa love to play games. One day while playing Elephant in the Middle with their large friend, their ball, a nut from an ancient baobab tree, rolls into a cave where the troop of monkeys never go. It is dark inside and possibly filled with horrible beasts! When they venture in, they discover instead that the walls a ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey See, Monkey Draw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey See, Monkey Draw

Jul 07, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
What a strange book! A bunch of monkeys play games and their favorite is, no surprise, Monkey in the Middle. When an elephant wins the game by catching the baobab nut, they are forced to venture into the dark, scary cave they avoid. It turns out that the cave is filled with painting that include hand prints. The monkeys learn to draw and appreciate art as a noncompetitive activity.

I had to think carefully about why I found the book a bit unappealing. The monkeys are depicted as strange creature
Karen A.
Jul 03, 2011 Karen A. rated it really liked it
These monkeys like games but one day they find some cave paintings made with hand and foot prints. They discover that they also can make all kinds of animals and pictures using just their feet, hands, and some lines. What fun!! But is it a game? Who wins? No one because, as Elephant points out, it is not a contest - art is fun for everyone. This is a fable like story that reads well and really gets across the idea that art is good fun and it is for everyone. I would especially recommend it to Pr ...more
Libby
Aug 29, 2013 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This was a selection from books read aloud at storytime, and while it's not a personal favorite, I appreciate its quality. The illustration style is unique, and I think the monkeys' faces are a little creepy looking, but they didn't bother my kids, and the pictures do incorporate hand, foot, and thumbprints in a way that's fun. Also, I think the border drawings enhance the story.

Also, I think the story has a nice message, that not all games have to be competitions, but it doesn't hit you over th
Kelly
Feb 18, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Definitely different in terms of illustrations, but so cool to see what can be made from thumb, hand, and foot prints. I like to make little people out of my thumbprints but I never though to extend it to animals and other things. I loved how his monkeys have thumbprints at the center of them. The story was cool in that it seemed like an old folk tale. The author also gave a shout out to using art for fun and not competition.
Traci Bold
Oct 15, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
As an author and illustrator, Alex Beard creates Picture book magic. 'MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DRAW' is filled with fun and imagination and a clever monkey games. Even Elephant gets in on the fun.

This is clever and imaginative bringing out the artist in every reader. A true #mustread.

Published by Abrams Books For Young Readers.
The Library Lady
Feb 19, 2011 The Library Lady rated it did not like it
Did anyone but me read this book and go "HUH?"
Scratchy art style with little child appeal. Language is awkward--choppy and stiff.
For adults perhaps. Not much here for kids. And kids are the audience for whom I buy picture books (!)
Leslie
Dec 22, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, art
Competitive monkeys play games in the Mbuno Hills of Africa, until their baobab nut is lost in a spooky cave. When they find handprint and footprint art in the cave, they are inspired to make their own art. Would love to use this with Ed Emberley thumbprint books.
Erica
Jul 06, 2012 Erica rated it it was amazing
Love the creativity in the illustrations in this book, which are made from hand and foot prints. A cute story with the themes of conquering fear and playing for fun, not just for winning and losing.
Bethe
Oct 09, 2012 Bethe rated it liked it
Weird little drawings, very different from the usual illustrations seen in books with monkeys. Author's note explains why.
Michelle
Jun 15, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok
Liked the story, but I found the drawings of the monkeys to be a bit strange.
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2011
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Κική
Κική rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
jenny
jenny rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2013
David Kimberly
David Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2011
Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2012
John
May 19, 2011 John added it
A good idea for a storytime!
Jenny
May 01, 2011 Jenny rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought the illustrations were very creepy.
McKenna Beam
McKenna Beam rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2011
Yelena
Yelena rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2011
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Deatrice
Deatrice rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Alana
Alana rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Chae Pak
Chae Pak rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Elizabeth B
Elizabeth B rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »