Molly's Story Collection - Limited Edition (The American Girls Collection)

Molly's Story Collection - Limited Edition (American Girls: Molly #1-6)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,309 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Introducing an American Girls keepsake story collection to treasure. For the first time, girls can enjoy all six classic tales of their favorite historical heroine in one beautiful volume. With exquisite covers, vellum dust jackets, gorgeous full-color illustrations, gilded-edged pages, and a gold ribbon bookmark, these richly designed hardbound books will delight American...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Amer Girl (first published 1986)

Sarah Evans
To my husband's shock, the boys and I listened to this collection on audio. But she's not too girly and the boys love stories set in WWII. Not that the boys will be asking for her doll for Christmas or anything.

The writing and stories actually exceeded my expectations. I guess I was being snobby because of the whole doll tie-in and everything. But this is a solid early chapter book series. Molly's character is realistic and matures nicely over the course of the books. While we don't get to know...more
Sara
I used this title to review a book my great-grandmother wrote and had published titled, "Just Molly." Her name was Marguerite Nye Bell and the book was published in 1980. You can actually search for it on Amazon and it will list some places you can buy it used. So, it is a real book, even if Goodreads says it isn't.
I have had a copy of this book in my possession for most of my life, although I never read it in its entirety until about five or six years ago. I just reread it on the heels of Half-...more
Natasha
Of all the American Girl books, Molly's stories were the ones that bridged the generation gap between me and my mom. She and I cried together at Changes for Molly and laughed ourselves silly at Meet Molly. Changes for Molly still brings a tear to my eye with a re-read as a young adult. It probably always will.
Annalise
Sep 18, 2007 Annalise rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls 7 to 15
Shelves: american-girls
Molly is just a fun girl trying to do her part to help with world war II.
Taylor
molly M.cintine life is full of change. her dad is at war, and her mom works at the red cross. The whole world is at war, so life is hard for molly. But she makes the best of it. Such as in the first book meet molly, molly and her family doesn't have much money so her halloween costume will have to do with what they already have. in molly learns a lesson, it is mostly about how her and her friends do a secret project for the schools lend a hand project. in molly's surprise, they face a disappoin...more
Rachel
Molly was my favorite, my baby, my American Girl doll who actually brought me closer to my grandmother and her own experiences of growing up during World War II. When I was a young American Girl, Molly's story was the most contemporary, which made her the most accessible to me (though sometimes, I wished I'd chosen something with a little more of that fantastical, historical feeling!) Molly's life was a lot like mine, actually- her mother worked, she went to school to learn English and Math, she...more
Allison Webster
This set of books belongs to the genre of junior historical fiction.

This set of books describes the life, trials, and lessons learned by young Molly, who is growing up during the times of the second world war. She lives a life with her father fighting the war abroad and her family and herself fighting the war at home.

The areas for critique is characterization. Molly is a young woman growing up in hard times. However throughout her series, she learns many life lessons and grows up a stronger wo...more
Audrey
Man, the American Girls Collection was the shit when I was growing up. These books and the Little House books got me hooked on history starting from age seven. The nerding started early. I remember my mother getting pissed off at me because I kept re-reading these books over and over again, cycling through them. As soon as I finished the Felicity books, I would start the Kirsten books. After Kirsten, the Samantha books. After Samantha, Molly. (At the time, there were only four American Girls). T...more
Deepali Jain
I think My daughter loved it.. She is adding a collection of American Girl series each year to her collection for the last few years now.. Currently 10yrs old. I would highly recommend it for girls, all kids and to read a a family as well.. :-)
Maymuna
I liked this book because one of them is really funny. Molly's 12 year old brother, he had played a prank on Molly and her friends, so they were going to play a prank on HIM. So what they did was, they collected all his underwear, and then one of her friends has gotten her brother distracted by basketball and so he didn't know what was coming down. Her sister Jill and her friend left to go out, and then Molly and her friend said "I see England, I see France, I see Ricky's underpants!" and they t...more
Cat
Maybe I'm Bias as a Brit,(although i don't think so because i loved Felicity and her story, and she was a traitor to the crown! :P haha! :) ) but i found the whole series patronising and inaccurate. I didn't like it as much as any of the other American Girl series and it went straight in the Bin, which is a shame because it was bloody expensive but i just found it no where near as good as the others and molly's view on the war was rediculous, and the idea that they would have had an english evac...more
Kit
Oh, Molly. She got the short end of the stick in just about every aspect. Goofy glasses? Check. Middle child? Check. Attractive siblings who look nothing like her? Check. Sigh. I still liked her though. I remember putting my damp hair up in pin curls so that I could look like her when she transformed herself for some pageant. But did I look like a lovely young girl with flowing waves the following morning? Ha. All I ended up with was a very raw scalp and an uncanny resemblance to a young Medusa....more
Maggie Wiggins
I had the Molly doll growing up, but more because of her glasses than because of her era. I enjoyed Tripp's depiction of a large family (or what I thought of as a big family; I'm an only child), as well as how modern the setting was. She was most relatable to me because I thought of her as possibly a potential older relative. She and I both had modern appliances! We both had wire framed glasses and electricity! It's the little things here, people.

Readalikes: Dear America Series, American Sister...more
Kristen
Molly was my favorite American Girl and she's the only one of the original three who won't be retired by the time Kate turns six (the magic birthday where she gets to pick out an AG doll.) I figured she was the natural girl to start with. At first, Kate and Lexi weren't that interested, it took the whole first book for them to get into it but they got hooked. Kate definitely picked up some residual knowledge of WWII. Happy Birthday, Molly (where Emily comes to stay) was probably their favorite o...more
Teri
I've heard a lot of great things about the American Girl series--but I am quite disappointed. I REALLY disliked how cliquey and catty the girls in the book were. Isn't this exactly what we'd like our girls NOT to be? I appreciated the historical aspect of it all (this book takes place during WWII) but it doesn't compensate for the lack of good character I was expecting.

Our library has this on audio CD and my girls really loved listening to it--but I'm not going to be too anxious to pick up anot...more
Sarah Sdr
Rebekah
I loved this books as a wee girl. I think Molly's camping adventure was my favorite. I mean come on, she stuffed worms down her shirt to win and got poison ivy for it. I probably read it about once a month in 4th grade, mostly because I had read everything in the library after being in the same school for 4 years and there was nothing else to read. Felicity was also a favorite and, well I guess I really liked all of them. I own Kit.
Princess
I love these books! Molly is a 10 year old girl living during world war 2. I like it because there are all sorts of problems in her life, but she always finds a way through. There are shortages of everything, and her dad is a doctor working in England, She has two annoying brothers, and an older sister who barely pays any attention to her. Molly is an example to me, and I think Valerie Tripp is a great writer.
Gina
This was the first American Girl series I read, and I read it with my daughter. We loved it. There was a lot of good information about being a child during WW2 and what life was like on the homefront. It was really cool that my dad was the exact age Molly would have been. My 7 year old daughter was able to visit with her grandfather about his memories of that time.
Kristy
Of all the classic American Girls, I most connected with Felicity and Molly. Felicity had a dramatic streak to her though, so I dug Molly's sense of humor and freshness a lot. I like the way she bonds with other girls in a positive way and always tries to make a bad situation good. She doesn't shy away from her own frustration, and she's not embarrassed to shine.
Anne
Aug 12, 2008 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trish
Just when I thought I had decided which American Girls to get for my young friends for Christmas! I adored these stories--Trish, I'm with you, Molly is the best (so far). Her adventures remind me of some of my own childhood hijinks, and I believe the way Tripp writes about WWII makes war sound as horrible as it really is without being too scary for young readers.
Molly
Jun 30, 2011 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any young girl EVER
Shelves: childhood-reads
I LOVED Molly! I'm sure it didn't help that my name is Molly and I had dark hair and glasses. I wanted a Molly doll soooooooooooo badly as a girl,but I never got one! Darn it.Even now, every Christams and birthday I secretly hope to unwrap a beautiful Molly doll with her two braids,jaunty beret and her heart shaped locket. Oh well, a girl can dream.
Rachel
I enjoyed reading this series when I was younger and I still enjoy reading it as an adult. The author does a good job of transporting me back to the period during World War II. The version I was reading was printed in 1988 and I wonder if they rewrote some of the "Looking Back" section after 2001 when we became much more involved in foreign wars.
I miss these books so much! Molly was my favorite character in the American Girls series as a child. I thought I was so cool because my Grandmother was the same age as Molly in 1944. Wonderful, educational, heartwarming stories. This is what little girls should be reading these days, not some of the trash I see out there now.
Casey
Okay, so I cannot properly articulate how basically these books got me into Stanford. You are especially less likely to believe me after reading that sentence. Seriously--the American Girls collections (and, well, the Molly Doll) made super curious about history. My daughters will read these books (oh yes they will.).
Shalyce
I haven't personally read these, but Alannah has loved this series. It is the first set of books that she has really gotten excited about reading over. I LOVE them because she likes to read them AND because they are historical fiction, so I feel like she is also learning a little about history in the process.
Ali Strang
Age: 8 and up
Review: This book is about an American girl named Molly. She describes her life and what she does during World War 1. This would be great for students to read for pleasure because it is relateable and allows students to learn some about World War 1 in a simplified way.
MCC Children's Li...: Molly: An American Girl 1 1 Feb 26, 2012 08:11PM
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Isabel: Taking Wing
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Voices at Whisper Bend (American Girl History Mysteries, #4)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t...more
More about Valerie Tripp...
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Meet Kit: An American Girl 1934 (American Girls: Kit, #1)