Start by marking “How It Feels When a Parent Dies” as Want to Read:
How It Feels When a Parent Dies

How It Feels When a Parent Dies

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  3 reviews
18 children from age 7 - 17, speak openly of their experiences and feelings. As they speak we see them in photos with their surviving parent and with other family members, in the midst of their everyday lives.
Published February 12th 1988 by Knopf (first published May 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about How It Feels When a Parent Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How It Feels When a Parent Dies

Lisa Vegan
My mother died when I was 11 1/2 and this is one book, of many, I wish had been available. Compiled by a photojournalist who’s written many similar books, this one has stories of children from about ages 5-16 who have lost a parent to death. The kids basically tell their own stories and the author took their photos. Tries to be comprehensive: many ages of the kids and many reasons for the deaths of the parents, but I would have appreciated even more diversity and many more kids’ stories. Could b ...more
Jim Landers
No imminent tragedies that I'm aware of in our family/clan - just a topic that I have thought about occasionally. (Also read “Let’s Talk About When A Parent Dies”.)

The author interviewed eighteen different children, aged seven to sixteen, who lost a parent. Each child’s story of their experience and reaction to the parent’s death is presented in essay form with accompanying photos of surviving parents and siblings.

This book could be useful to help a child deal with the loss of their own parent b
Jim
The photography makes the book feel dated, but the stories are timeless. I'm reading 17 years after losing my mom, and there is still something healing about hearing similar stories from children. So many kids who lose a parent don't know anyone else who has, so this book makes a lonely experience a little less so.
Carli Gibson
Carli Gibson is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Nina Cook
Nina Cook marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Destini
Destini marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Eliana Eliana
Eliana Eliana marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Evelyne
Evelyne marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Julie
Julie added it
Apr 12, 2013
Tammy Payne
Tammy Payne marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Adalisse Borges
Adalisse Borges marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Emma Wilson
Emma Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Sammie
Sammie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
A Very Young Dancer The Writer's Desk A Very Young Gymnast A Very Young Rider A Very Young Skater