Start by marking “How It Feels When a Parent Dies” as Want to Read:
How It Feels When a Parent Dies

How It Feels When a Parent Dies

18 children from age 7 - 17, speak openly of their experiences and feelings. As they speak we see them in photos with their surviving parent and with other family members, in the midst of their everyday lives.
Published February 12th 1988 by Knopf (first published May 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about How It Feels When a Parent Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How It Feels When a Parent Dies

Lisa Vegan
May 13, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who have lost a parent
My mother died when I was 11 1/2 and this is one book, of many, I wish had been available. Compiled by a photojournalist who’s written many similar books, this one has stories of children from about ages 5-16 who have lost a parent to death. The kids basically tell their own stories and the author took their photos. Tries to be comprehensive: many ages of the kids and many reasons for the deaths of the parents, but I would have appreciated even more diversity and many more kids’ stories. Could b ...more
Jim Landers
May 23, 2011 Jim Landers rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
No imminent tragedies that I'm aware of in our family/clan - just a topic that I have thought about occasionally. (Also read “Let’s Talk About When A Parent Dies”.)

The author interviewed eighteen different children, aged seven to sixteen, who lost a parent. Each child’s story of their experience and reaction to the parent’s death is presented in essay form with accompanying photos of surviving parents and siblings.

This book could be useful to help a child deal with the loss of their own parent b
Kathryn
Jun 29, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I was ten years old when my father died unexpectedly from a heart attack. My family was devastated and I remember feeling extremely isolated from my peers; I was irrevocably changed and I had no idea how to cope with the grief. How it Feels When a Parent Dies was a godsend of a book. Not only did the words of each child ring true to me, just looking at their pictures made it feel real - I was not alone. And knowing that I wasn't alone was liberating. This book helped me through some rough times. ...more
Jim
Apr 13, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The photography makes the book feel dated, but the stories are timeless. I'm reading 17 years after losing my mom, and there is still something healing about hearing similar stories from children. So many kids who lose a parent don't know anyone else who has, so this book makes a lonely experience a little less so.
Jenny B
Jenny B rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Julius
Julius rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Carole Geithner
Carole Geithner rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Beth Fleischman
Beth Fleischman rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Suann
Suann rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Juliana
Juliana rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Lori Graham
Lori Graham rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Kelly Evans
Kelly Evans rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Claudia S. Knauss
Claudia S. Knauss rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2009
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2011
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2009
David Lister
David Lister rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2016
Robin rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2012
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2007
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Robin rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2012
Moira
Moira rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2009