Start by marking “A Slice of Heaven” as Want to Read:
A Slice of Heaven

A Slice of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,247 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Dana Sue might run the best little restaurant in Serenity, but when you're feeding a small town of neighbors, busybodies and best friends, things can get a bit hot in the kitchen. Never mind that she's putting on too many pounds (an occupational hazard for a chef)—she's worried about her too-skinny teenage daughter, Annie, who has been slowly starving herself sin ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Mira (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Slice of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slice of Heaven

Jess
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the first book in this series. I had some problems with the way Annie's disease was portrayed and also I didn't really like the fact that Ronnie and Dana Sue were the romantic couple in this book. I mean... he cheated on her and she's just supposed to forgive that. The whole book as he's trying to get her back he actually had the nerve to yell at her and say "how are we supposed to move on if you keep throwing back in my face what I did" (or something to ...more
Linda Sims
MIXED FEELINGS

Two years ago Dana Sue caught her husband Ronnie cheating and unceremoniously threw him out, Ronnie left town immediately. Their daughter Annie took this badly, and blamed her mother somewhat, if only her mother had taken better care of herself mostly by losing weight, her father might not have cheated. Ronnie and Dane Sue had been high school sweethearts they had been each other's first. As time went on it appeared that Ronnie had somehow felt he'd missed out on sowing some wild o
Becky
The second book in The Sweet Magnolia's series, Dana Sue is finding that with her putting on a few extra pounds due to stress, her daughter Annie is starving herself and winds up in the ICU, unconsious with Anorexia. And she is forced to contact her ex-cheating husband to tell him the news. Ronnie Sullivan doesn't hesitate to rush to his daughters side after two years, when he was thrown out of the house and humilitated out of Serenity when Dana Sue threw all of his belongings out onto the front ...more
Darcy
I think I would have liked this one more had it not seemed like this was an after school special about eating disorders. I realize that it is a big problem, but not sure that I want to read about it in a fluffy romance novel. Annie was so petulant that it got old very fast. I also felt that Dana Sue had double standard in regards to the eating disorder, because she was having her own issues. I also am not a big fan of a divorced couple getting back together. What annoyed me the most of the situa ...more
Dana
Book two in the series focuses heavily on Dana Sue's daughter and her struggle with control. She has an eating disorder which came about right after her father and mother split. I believe the author did a great job researching this disease and it shows through in the writing and the character. Also has you draw in and root for Ronnie Sullivan now that you get to know him and understand his character through his eyes versus the eyes of the 3 "sweet magnolias".

Pretty good story overall and I cann
Lara
While I enjoyed learning more about the character of Dana Sue, and reading about her relationship with her ex-husband, I had a lot of issues with her handling of not only her daughter's health issues, but also her own. If my son had started to exhibit severe weight loss, I wouldn't hope he'd "grow out of it." Having become aware of eating disorders in high school, I don't take the issue lightly. This isn't a book written in the 80's, so this shouldn't be news to anyone.

I also didn't like the way
Nancy
From the first paragraph you know how this is going to end, there are no true surprises and with the slow southern charm, readers will be able to unwind into the town and people of Serenity.

Dana Sue, the central character, owns a small restaurant that seems to be the center of her world since her husband Ronnie left. Actually, he did not leave on his own accord, when Dana Sue found out that he had an affair she packed up his belongings and tossed them all to the curb.

Ronnie realized that he made
Katy M
This one is about second chances-on many levels.

This one is about second chances-on many levels.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
Ms. Woods writes absorbing, lively, non-trite romance with fully fleshed characters and plots. The Sweet Magnolias series is fabulous in that the central characters are around 40 (at least the first 3,) unusual for romance novels. Amazing, a romance author who realizes you don't lose that spark when you reach your 30's. Thank you!
Read, enjoy, prepare to be entertaine
Ann Boytim
Continuing the series of the Sweet Magnolias this time Dana Sue who is a chef of a really good restaurant is having problems with her daughter Annie. Annie has decided she will not eat and it is obvious to all that she is anorexic, this leads to her passing out and ending up in the hospital. Dana Sue is divorced and has to inform her ex husband about Annie. Ronnie still has feelings for Dana Sue but he ws a cheater and she has not forgiven him for that but they have to put their feelings aside t ...more
Connie
I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I love the characters and the fictional town of Serenity, SC. This book dealt with a very serious problem which affects many teenage girls: anorexia. Mixed in the story are issues that face many others in real life: diabetes, keeping fit and healthy, loss of trust in loved ones, etc.
Audel
Ce roman est le deuxième tome de la série A l'ombre des magnolias (9ème tome en VO de sweet magnolia).Cependant,il n'est pas nécessaire d'avoir lu le tome précédent pour lire celui-ci.

En effet, contrairement au premier tome dans lequel le lecteur sentait qu'il lui manquait quelques clés pour une meilleure compréhension, ici nous nous rapprochons plus d'un premier tome : les deux personnages principaux, Laura et CJ, étant installés dans la ville de Serenity depuis peu, nous découvrons en même te
Donna
This book was okay. I liked the other books in this series much better. The main character, Dana, came across as whiney, irritiating and indecisive. I liked the way the camaraderie between the three Sweet Magnolias was depicted.
Linda
Excellent story of friends.
Jane
I have read all of the Sweet Magnolia series except for this one. So I was very excited when I came across it. I love Sherryl Woods books and this was no exception.

Dana Sue and Ronnie Sullivan had been married for twenty years when his one night of poor judgement tore them apart. Neither has been able to move on. She still loves him but cannot forgive or forget what he did to her. He tore her heart out and broke it into a million pieces. How could she ever trust him again.

Ronnie knows what he di
This is the second book in the Sweet Magnolias series. Dana Sue Sullivan is one of the Sweet Magnolias introduced in the first book, Stealing Home. She unceremoniously kicked her husband, Ronnie, to the curb 2 years after after he had a one-night-stand with a woman he couldn't even remember. He left because that is what she wanted and his guilt pushed him away. When their 16-year-old daughter lands in the hospital because of anorexia, Ronnie returns to Serenity to bring his family back together. ...more
Angela Noviana
Sinopsis
Ronnie Sullivan meninggalkan Serenity karena sebuah kesalahan bodoh, yaitu tidur dengan seorang wanita yang bahkan tidak diingatnya. Percintaan semalam itu memang akarnya, tapi kebodohannya yang paling parah adalah meninggalkan istrinya ketika wanita itu mengusirnya. Seharusnya dia mempertahankan pernikahan mereka. Kini dia harus akan kembali dan membangun semuanya lagi dari awal.

Sepotong kebahagiaan, hanya itu lah yang diminta oleh Dana Sue Sullivan. Tapi hidupnya tak pernah bahagia sej
Alexa
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one.

While I was quite happy that the story was about second chances, I couldn't quite feel the romance between the main characters. I think it would have been better if the author had given us some flashbacks to the original story of Dana Sue and Ronnie, so we'd have understood why she was willing to give him a second chance.

The secondary plot line with Annie's anorexia was interesting but not remarkable in any way.
S
A Slice of Heaven is the second book in the Sweet Magnolias series. Sherryl Woods has an entertaining way of getting the reader's attention and focusing it on issues pertinent to today. This book takes two disorders and zeros in on them and their impact on the family, while keeping the reader entertained. She focuses on anorexia and diabetes and the struggles that the patient and the family experience. Although everyone won't experience the particular problem Ronnie and Dana Sue face, the family ...more
Kristi
3.5 Stars

This is only my second Woods novel I've read, the first being the first of this Sweet Magnolia series. I enjoyed revisiting the town of Serenity and seeing what everyone was up to again. It was more or less what I expected, though a touch heavier as it dealt with a very heavy topic as the catalyst for the romance. It made sense and in some ways it was refreshing that it wasn't all the usual contemporary romance stumbling blocks. But if you are seeking a light and fluffy read you might p
Mareli
The poor Dana Sue is victim of blind eyes. She cannot see what's happening to her daughter and she cannot see what's happening with herself.

Denial for everything. I don't think she deserved Ronnie back. Good thing he was ready to become a family again because if Dana Sue had to do something...

Andrea
This was kind of upsetting for me because I loved the first book where there was a no stance for cheating....but in this book it makes cheating seem okay...it's meant to happen...that it is okay for a man to cheat and her friends are encouraging her to go back with him.
Marisa
Library Request. Typical chick lit no imagination when it came to Ronnie and his estranged wife situation. A little bit moreimainativearound their daughters crisis with her health scare.
Ruth Ellen
I like this story about a family who has to work through anorexia and reunite their family. they have plenty of support from friends and health professionals. It was a good story.
Paula Ratcliffe
Dana Sue finds herself in a messy situation with her daughter Annie when she notices Annie is avoiding eating at all costs, she tries to get to the bottom of it, but sometimes you need both mom and dad to figure it out. Annie winds in the hospital after having a heart attack at age 16, Ronnie Annie's Dad and Dana Sue's ex comes back to town sooner than he planned with his own agenda getting his family back. Also Annie and Tyler end up getting closer.

This was a great story of finding your own sl
Kathryn
Another very good book in this series. I especially appreciated the exploration of eating disorders and I thought Sherry Woods portrayed that aspect very well.
Michelle
Wasn't as good as the first book! After the first few pages you could predict what was going to happen. Felt as though it was just dragged out throughout the book. Not sure if I want to waste time reading the third!
Kaitlyn
Good enough for me to want to read the whole series, but some of the characters annoyed me. Can't put my finger on what it was, though...
Nancy
Really enjoyed this book...loved the characters and look forward to reading the complete series. It's a quick read and I couldn't put it down until I finished.
Ida Lukasik
This is a good book, had a hard time putting it down (even when tired)
Ali
This is my least favorite book of Woods. It's not what I'm looking for in a romance novel. Too much about eating disorders. I also don't like how Maddie is so persistent Dana Sue should give her husband a second chance. Maddie's husband cheated in her in the first book. Yes the two affairs were totally different, but I didnt like this plot line. I also feel like the plot of Annie's aneroxia being caused my her dad cheating/leaving and then having her recovery coinciding with her parents's reunio ...more
women, mothers & daughters 1 14 Apr 11, 2007 03:32PM
  • Snowfall at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #4)
  • That Holiday Feeling (Includes: Virgin River, #8 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Almost Home (Chesapeake Diaries #3)
  • Sweet Spot (Bakery Sisters, #2)
  • Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #13)
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa
More about Sherryl Woods...

The Sweet Magnolias (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3)
  • Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4)
  • Home in Carolina (The Sweet Magnolias #5)
  • Sweet Tea at Sunrise (The Sweet Magnolias #6)
  • Honeysuckle Summer (The Sweet Magnolias #7)
  • Midnight Promises (The Sweet Magnolias, #8)
  • Catching Fireflies (The Sweet Magnolias, #9)
  • Where Azaleas Bloom (The Sweet Magnolias, #10)
  • Swan Point
The Inn at Eagle Point (Chesapeake Shores, #1) Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1) Harbor Lights (Chesapeake Shores, #3) Beach Lane (Chesapeake Shores #7) Flowers on Main (Chesapeake Shores, #2)