Start by marking “Tulsa!: Biography of the American City” as Want to Read:
Tulsa!: Biography of the American City

Tulsa!: Biography of the American City

Featuring hundreds of rare photos, Goble has produced a fascinating account of Tulsa’s story, of the forces that have made it the “most American of American cities.” A vibrant energy positioned this Indian Territory village to boom into the Oil Capital of the World and a microcosm of the economically powerful United States.
Published October 1st 1995 by Council Oak Books

To ask other readers questions about Tulsa!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tulsa!

Stephanie
May 29, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, wanting to know a lot of the history of Tulsa. The writing style was not always that interesting, and the author dwelled a lot on the racial problems of Tulsa. The race riot was horrible and I was shocked to find out how much racism played into the history of Tulsa, but I really wanted to know more about the city itself, the buildings, the evolution of downtown, etc. For someone who wants to know more about Tulsa than the racial conflict and the early Indian days, ...more
Jun 29, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I met Danney Goble as a young child; he was a colleague of both of my parents. I remember him as a great historian, down-to-earth but full of ideas. This book reflects those characteristics. Unfortunately, right now it is out of print. I hope that people see this review and request the book.
Bobbi
Jan 15, 2012 Bobbi rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-read, tulsa
This is a detailed and gripping story of Tulsa from the first Native Americans to the oilmen. Tulsa has such a rich history that it's nearly impossible to really review this book. I will say if you have an interested in Tulsa history, pick this up. You wont' be disappointed.
Scott Wilson
Aug 05, 2013 Scott Wilson rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
It's OK ... glosses over a lot of the unpleasant sides of Tulsa's history, particularly the 1921 riot. A little hard to read because of the way it's arranged.
Broadsnark
Jul 23, 2014 Broadsnark rated it liked it
A decent overview of Tulsa history that isn't going to offend anybody. Not a bad start if you are just getting to know the city.
Gene Perry
Gene Perry rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Dennis Hull
Dennis Hull rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Mike Davis
Mike Davis rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Austin
Austin marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2010
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 23, 2010
Jason
Jason added it
May 29, 2012
Gene Divens
Gene Divens marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Quintin Roberts
Quintin Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Ross Faith
Ross Faith marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016