Start by marking “In Dog We Trust (Golden Retriever Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
In Dog We Trust (Golden Retriever Mystery #1)

In Dog We Trust (Golden Retriever Mystery #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  224 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
After a bad divorce and a brief prison term for computer hacking, 42-year-old Steve Levitan has returned to his home town of Stewart’s Crossing and taken a part-time job as an adjunct professor of English at his alma mater, Eastern College. While walking around his gated community, he becomes friendly with his next-door neighbor, Caroline Kelly, and her golden retriever, R ...more
Published March 10th 2010

To ask other readers questions about In Dog We Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Dog We Trust

Steelwhisper
Pure, unadulterated fun! Classic beach or rainy day read.

Skye
Aug 23, 2015 Skye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog
In Dog We Trust, by Neil Plakcy (CreateSpace, 2010, 322 pages, $10.99)

I read a lot of books. I have to. I’m a book reviewer and every once in a while I find myself reading a self-published book. Most of them are not worth the paper they are printed on, primarily because they have not been edited (and this has a few typos).

However, if the book is one in a series, chances are better that it is a good book because the author has more experience and because his or her writing has received some comm
Carl Brookins
Apr 27, 2014 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it

Steve Levitan is a convicted felon. Through a lapse in internal discipline, he did a little computer hacking and soon found himself in prison. Released on parole, he returns to his home, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, where he obtains a position as a part time faculty, teaching English at a local college.
His marriage fell apart, which is another factor setting up everything that follows, murder, car chases, odd and interesting characters, such as a sort of hard guy named Santiago, Steve’s parole of
Eileen Goudge
Jul 23, 2014 Eileen Goudge rated it really liked it
I wasn't too sure about this one, as I tend to judge a book by its cover (which looks kind of amateurish, frankly). But the writing hooked me and the male sleuth, Steve, a hacker and ex-con who got into trouble hacking into credit card databases (to flag his spendaholic wife's accounts), is a character I enjoyed getting to know. He's a good guy who occasionally messes up, usually with only the best of intentions. The dog, Rochester,he accidentally acquires when its owner, his next-door neighbor, ...more
Connie Smith
Nov 28, 2015 Connie Smith rated it did not like it
The only positive thing about this book is the dog, Rochester. I looked for acknowledgements, thanking those who may have assisted the author with aspects of his research and a disclaimer that any errors were the fault of the author. I found no acknowledgements and it was pretty clear the author did little if any research. The book is full of incorrect information regarding identity theft, bankng, financial matters, and social media and the Internet. This last was particularly significant as the ...more
Vicky
Apr 06, 2014 Vicky rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
Interesting new series that I wasn't aware of. I wasn't sure I would enjoy it, but since it was including dogs, I thought I would give it a shot and I did enjoy the entire series. I went from the first in the series to the last in just a few days and enjoyed how the dog would give the clues and it would take awhile for the human to realize what was being given to him. I also found it interesting to have the criminal record and the hacking as part of the story. I was surprised by the ending of th ...more
Lisa
Sep 30, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
enjoyed this book.
JoAnn77PL
Mar 30, 2014 JoAnn77PL rated it it was amazing
I actually really really liked this book. The story grabbed my attention mostly due to the impossible fact that a parolee can work in university :) However, the rest of the story - the friendship with THE dog, tangibility of the characters and a mystery itself were splendid. I enjoyed very much. The book is written in comforting, cozy way - it's like you walk side by side with a main character - Steve and experience all of his emotions. I'm sure I'll read the next installment.
Donna
Jul 10, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2014
This had been sitting on the Kindle for awhile and I wanted a quick read so I gave it a shot. Despite the too-cutesy title and the horrible cover (it looks as if it was done on Powerpoint by a 5th grader) this was actually a pretty fun story. The bad guy was pretty obvious from early on, but Steve and Rochester were likeable characters. I'm willing to give the second book in the series a try.
Trisha
Aug 21, 2014 Trisha rated it it was amazing
2014-08-21. Excellent story. I loved how Steve who was not a dog lover ended up with Rochester. Their breaking in time was great. Steve's trouble not violating his parole by hacking (even "small" hacks) was good to watch as well. Mystery of the murder and money were excellent. It's great to see Steve referring to Rochester as his dog and how much he now cares for him. Great!
Sandra
Aug 17, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
The paper was too white, the paper was too heavy, but maybe that was the best paper option available. I am just glad this book got printed.
The story great. I liked the characters, got curious about them. The story developed in a nice tempo, with enough side information to make the characters and story more interesting, but not too much too become distracting from the story.
There will, most likely, be more appearances of Rochester and Steve on my reading list.
Lora
Sep 23, 2012 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is currently the first book you find on the New York Public Library e-book lending site when you look at mysteries. There are 50 people on the wait list.

I don't have that kind of patience, and I have enjoyed so many other books by Neil Plakcy, so I went looking to purchase instead.

I am so glad I did. This is a full length mystery novel regardless of what the cost leads you to believe. Not to mention it is a great read.

This is not a romance unless you count Steve falling in love with Ro
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Very easy read and entertaining!
Vern
Apr 04, 2014 Vern rated it liked it
It was a fair mystery, but it is helpful if you like dogs.
Lynn Farris
Aug 21, 2012 Lynn Farris rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I was immediately intrigued when I heard Neil Plakcy speak at the Malice Domestic 2012 convention this year on the “Must Love Dogs: Mysteries Involving Man’s Best Friend” panel. This is the first book in the Golden Retriever Mystery series. I’ll admit, cozy mysteries featuring an animal, I find pretty irresistible.

To see the rest of my review visit http://www.examiner.com/article/read-...
Sophia
Mar 11, 2016 Sophia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult Readers
Recommended to Sophia by: Barnes and Noble; Nook suggestions
Shelves: dogs, re-read
This was quite possibly one of the best books I've ever read. It was well-written, had an interesting plot,and kept you guessing and hanging onto every word. I would strongly recommend this book, though it has some mild language in it, as it was very, very well-written.
Janet C.
Apr 12, 2012 Janet C. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery series buffs, dog lovers
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
I loved this book! Great plot with enough twists & turns that I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I've always enjoyed reading mystery series, especially the ones that focus on the story line(s) and character development.
Triss
Sep 06, 2013 Triss rated it liked it
A very fun series with a golden retriever as Dr. Watson to the main character's passive Sherlock Holmes. A lot of belly aching from him, but his dog seems not to mind. I wonder why. Murders solved with help from Rochester, the dog.
Kelly
Mar 13, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
A bit hokey and predictable but a fun mystery none-the-less. I grew up in Bucks County, PA, the setting of this story, and I have a golden lab myself so it was touching. I liked the character and plot development. A quick read.
Erin
Aug 09, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-mysteries
I like this book-the thing I like the best is that the author refers to the dog's first owner as the dog's mom, and himself as the dog's dad.
Beware that occasionally some characters have goofy names.
Lori Whitwam
Feb 25, 2011 Lori Whitwam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-dog
I wanted to do 4.5 stars, but we can't do that, so I went with 5 so as not to impact the rating at all. VERY good mystery, interesting characters, and the growing role of the dog (Rochester) is fabulous.
Sandy J
Oct 18, 2011 Sandy J rated it really liked it
Interesting first book of a series. Gotta love any book with a Golden Retriever. Fairly good plot, some interesting twists - enough to make me want to read the next one.
Patricia
Jan 23, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing
This is just a great book. You don't have to be a dog person to enjoy the book because it is a good story but if you are a dog person this one is not to be missed.
Cindy
Aug 29, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
Entertaining easy read. Good plot ... figured out the whodunit about half way through but not the why until near the end. Love Rochester, the golden!
Connie
Dec 30, 2012 Connie rated it liked it
New author for me -- I enjoyed this story about a man with problems who adds a golden retriever to his life.
Janet
Sep 07, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it
I like the way the author writes and I am enjoying his book. Actually, I just bought a second book by him today.
Brenda
Jul 08, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
entertaining read
Dick
Dec 29, 2012 Dick rated it it was amazing
First in the Golden Retriever series. I plan to read the next one for sure.
Jeffrey Marks
May 19, 2012 Jeffrey Marks rated it really liked it
Great first mystery in a new series.. Picked up Number 2 already!
Deb
Oct 30, 2012 Deb rated it it was ok
Repeated things a lot, but still a decent story.
Audiobooks: Drawing for a free mystery 8 44 Jul 16, 2013 11:57AM
  • Executive Lunch (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery #1)
  • Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley, #1)
  • The Dead Season (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries #6)
  • Beach Reading (Beach Reading, #1)
  • A Fluffy Tale
  • Fire-Heart (Tales of Alterra, The World That Is, #2)
  • Bermuda Heat (L.A., #5)
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • Finally Home: Lessons On Life From A Free Spirited Dog
  • Ruff Way to Go (Allie Babcock Mystery, #2)
  • Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)
  • Come Back, Como: Winning the Heart of a Reluctant Dog
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside (Bellingham Mysteries, #2)
  • Wet Desert: Tracking Down a Terrorist on the Colorado River
  • Tea Is for Terror
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • I Do: An Anthology in Support of Marriage Equality
  • eBully
Neil Plakcy is the author of the Mahu Investigations, mysteries which take place in Hawaii. They are: Mahu, Mahu Surfer, Mahu Fire, Mahu Vice, Mahu Blood, Mahu Men, Zero Break, Natural Predators and Children of Noah.

His M/M romance novels are GayLife.com, Mi Amor, Love on Site, Love on the Web, Love on Stage, Love on the Pitch, and the Have Body, Will Guard series: Three Wrong Turns in the Desert,
More about Neil S. Plakcy...

Golden Retriever Mystery (4 books)
  • The Kingdom of Dog
  • Dog Helps Those
  • Dog Bless You

“They say that a few minutes each day of petting your dog can raise your serotonin levels.” 6 likes