Start by marking “The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook” as Want to Read:

Time Management
Breathing
Cue-Controlled Relaxation
Quick Relaxers
Published September 1st 2000 by New Harbinger Publications (first published May 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook

Marsha Stokes
May 08, 2012 Marsha Stokes rated it really liked it
In my quest to find peace and relaxation in my life, overcome my anxiety problems, and cope with any lingering effects of depression, my therapist recommended this workbook. I might have given it four out of four brownie points, except, unlike the "What to Expect" books that Scott and I love so much, there wasn't much humor. I think humor makes technical reading like this just a bit more enjoyable.

As far as a resource for information goes, I really thought this book was very complete and thoroug
Ames
When I first began college, I struggled to keep up with the work load of my classes. Only, it wasn't my grades that were suffering, it was my physical and mental-health.
I was recommended to take a Stress and Anxiety Management course by an advisor, and this is the workbook from that course.

I found a lot of the exercises in The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook to be very helpful, and have tried to use them again on my own a few times.

This book covers a range of subjects such as:
-How t
JoAnn
May 04, 2015 JoAnn rated it it was amazing
I am reading this due to my current heath issues, which I am learning that could have and I think honestly were caused by stress, so far I love this book I am only a couple chapters in but it gives great detail about the body and mind and how it works to gether and how stress effects us. There are lots of hand on things to try, and do to be awear and to work on connecting your mind and body to reduce negitive stress. I am really enjoying it.

I LOVED this book it inspired me to learn more about b
Maritza Molis
Jan 15, 2015 Maritza Molis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lyz
Feb 04, 2014 Lyz rated it really liked it
I'm in the middle of some pretty intense research on anxiety and mindful meditation. This was one of a few that led me to a-ha moments. I'm not sure if it's the writing or the fact that it's the right time for me to be reading this---I enjoyed it nonetheless and expect I will come back to it again in the future.
Elena
This was extremely helpful. The instructions were clear, concise, easy to read and practical to implement.
Wanderer (aka DarkDreamer)
Read chaps 1-6, 9, 11-20
Crystal
Jun 20, 2014 Crystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meditation
If you're over worked and trying to find a way to de-stress and relax, then this is not the book for you. I felt like I was going to be tested later. Each activity was overly regimented, which makes removal of thought quite challenging; when you're so busy trying to do it right you're busy thinking instead of removing thought. This book might be good for some people but I am not a fan.
Tabitha
Jan 25, 2011 Tabitha rated it it was amazing
If you have ever struggled with anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, anger, time management, or other assorted concerns, this book is worth a read. With techniques ranging from refuting irrational ideas to meditation, this books is quite practical and useful. It can be read pretty quickly, but I imagine that one could continue to master the techniques for several years.
Fatima
May 13, 2011 Fatima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a reference that you can use whenever you want to learn a new technique/method to relax.
Each chapter explains a stress reduction method.
I loved the breathing exercises in chapter 3.

I stress when I'm not busy working on something, so this "reference" helps. I randomly choose a chapter and learn about the method.

I read about 10-15% of the book.
Jen
Mar 22, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
This is a great reference tool to use when life gets hectic (these days it seems like always!!) Lots of breathing, meditation etc techniques compiled from much research. I ended up buying it. Highly recommend for anyone trying to renew and restore.
Iso Cambia
Mar 07, 2015 Iso Cambia rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Iso by: Cohen
One of my textbooks for a graduate clinical methods course music and relaxation. Good introduction to the subject, appropriate for a layperson and with many interactive features to help you understand your personal context.
Aja
The best option that I have found for Relaxation Techniques (PEA class). I will be using it in future classes, although it's usefullness would be better if the students had been required to purchase it as well.
Kristen
Jan 14, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, psychology
This books walks you through a number of different types of relaxation exercises, as well as addresses stressors and reducing stress. I used it for a stress management class at BYU and really liked it. Good ideas!
Julie
Jan 11, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quick reference guide to relaxation techniques taylored to you. You don't have to read the whole book, just look up your symptoms and get busy on the suggested ways to reduce that kind of stress.
Anne
May 08, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kimberly and Tessa
I got this book to use for teaching my Biological Psychology class but I think the exercises and information could actually help me too so I plan on reading it more and trying some of the exercises.
Tracy
Dec 20, 2008 Tracy rated it liked it
Good book on dealing with and managing stress in our everyday lives. Stress complicates our lives and also leads to disease. This book teaches us how to relax, breathing techniques, etc.
Lisa
Jan 01, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
I had to read this for a college course. While it had useful ideas and examples I feel it wasn't flexible enough to be useful for many different types of people.
Susanna
Jul 15, 2009 Susanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healing, school
I don't agree with any of the nutrition info they have, but other than that, the book was helpful and I learned some great things to add to my practice.
Jess
Apr 11, 2008 Jess rated it it was amazing
One of the best books of this type I've come across. I use some of the exercises frequently with clients & in teaching stress management to students.
Marlena
May 05, 2009 Marlena rated it it was amazing
- i LOVED this book. great resource for planning workshop on stress management.
- will be referencing and using this book again and again.

Chava
Dec 14, 2013 Chava rated it liked it
I use this book a lot with my adolescent and adult clients. A nice self-help book that can also be used in the professionals' rooms
Shawn
Aug 23, 2012 Shawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Currently on page 100 only got 260 to go. Not an easy read, but does have a few good techniques to control anger and anxiety.
Betsy
Jan 05, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
This isn't really one to read cover to cover but I use a lot of stuff in it with clients and work on it myself too :-)
Ladybug
May 28, 2008 Ladybug rated it it was amazing
Ok, so the title seems like an oxymoron. But... lots of VERY GOOD info on relaxing... worth every penny.
Amber Polo
Oct 31, 2011 Amber Polo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relaxation
Though I missed the the section on making your own relaxation "tape" from earlier editions.
Gaylene
Sep 28, 2011 Gaylene rated it really liked it
This book had some very good information and good exercises for relaxation and stress reduction.
Amy
Dec 19, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: counseling, self-help
another good one for both myself and anyone who wants effective ways to relax throughout the day
Theresa
Jan 31, 2014 Theresa rated it did not like it
Shelves: review
lists a number of work outs and ideology that will help individuals learn to relax
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Answers to Distraction
  • The Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Workbook: Exercises, Questions, and Self-Tests to Help You Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Coping with Your Difficult Older Parent: A Guide for Stressed Out Children
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination