Start by marking “Wish I Could Be There” as Want to Read:
Wish I Could Be There

Wish I Could Be There

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  74 reviews
In addition to being the son of famous New Yorker editor William Shawn and brother of the distinguished playwright and actor Wallace Shawn, Allen Shawn is agoraphobic-he is afraid of both public spaces and isolation. Wish I Could Be There gracefully captures both of these extraordinary realities, blending memoir and scientific inquiry in an utterly engrossing quest to unde ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wish I Could Be There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish I Could Be There

Pamela
An unusual book, beautifully written. Shawn became a full-blown agoraphobic as a young adult, and remains at the time of this book's writing a few years ago (his late 50s) terrified of open spaces, enclosed spaces, flying, and traveling, among other things. He examines his phobias from many angles, including family history, biology, evolution, and psychoanalysis. There isn't a moment of self-pity in the book--only a grief for lost experiences. At the same time Shawn persuasively argues that our ...more
Tabitha
I rarely rate books as amazing and I have critiques of this book. There are portions of this book that drag, but I highly recommend this book to anyone that has a friend/family member with phobias. As a person that struggles with bouts of agoraphobia, I can share that many of the descriptions are true to my experience. I'm going to encourage those closest to me to simply read the introduction and first chapter because there is plenty in that section alone.

Some quotes:

"I wanted to wriggle out of
Anne-Marie
I was telling Jodi how I've recently become a shut-in and she recommended this book. Jodi isn't a big reader but she has dealt with her share of agoraphobia so I was all about checkin' it out.

Ummm . . . Jodi, did you actually read this book? The whole thing? The only reason I kept reading was because I didn't want to miss something worthwhile after all the time I had invested in it.

Guess what? There was no good part.

Shawn goes into great detail about the evolutionary explanations for phobias whi
thefourthvine
This book is kind of an unholy union. Half of it is an interesting memoir about Allen Shawn's family, his life, and his phobias (and the intersections of the three). The other half is a relatively boring summary of neurological and psychological aspects of phobias.

The memoir part of it is, well, like I said: really interesting. Shawn's family background is fascinating. That's a little disingenuous, because I honestly think that almost anyone could write a good book about their family and childh
Lizzie
An odd, interesting little book about being agoraphobic. He tells about his family - both of his parents had phobias - talks some about what science knows about phobias, and describes how he lives with his phobias. I think of myself as agoraphobic because I find reasons not to go places, but I rarely have the somatic symptoms he does: difficulty breathing, blacking out, digestive problems. It's sobering to read his descriptions of his life. Despite it all he's a successful composer and teacher, ...more
Kathryn Jennex
I enjoyed this book and definitely identified with it. Shawn has a great understanding of how and why anxiety works as it applies in the world as well as personally.
I read a few reviews which called the book "boring". Even the boom jacket uses the descriptor "droll" but I found if I read it in longer stretches I didn't notice. This memoir is much more of an academic study than a typical one.
Amanda
At the points in the novel where the author discusses his twin sister, I was appalled. Why did the author insist on using the word "retarded" and discuss his sister in such a manner?

This memoir reads more like a dry report written by a first year college student who relies far too heavily on Freud quotes. Some points were interesting and gave me insight as a psych student, but it was mediocre at best. I was thrilled when I picked up this book, thinking it would be an insightful memoir. I didn't
Michael
Allen Shawn is smarter than most people on their best days. Despite his being a composer, the quality of the writing and the confidence of his stride into psychology and physiology does not resound with the frantic slaps of a fish out of water. To be honest he comes from a genetic pedigree where anything less would be suprisingly out of step with what we know of DNA transmission. This is the first author I encountered where he nearly successfully slipped Freud and psychoanalysis into my drink an ...more
Tara
Fun fact: this was written by the brother of Wallace Shawn (Vizzini in The Princess Bride). So now, while watching one of the most hilarious movies ever, I will have their depressing family drama in the background. Greaaaaat.

But seriously. This book was...not my favorite. It's part memoir, part philosophical/scientific discussion of phobias. The memoir sections felt abstract and impersonal, unless they concerned his twin sister Mary, in which case they were far TOO personal. I think most people
Jay
I am certainly not an expert on neurology, psychology, psychiatry, genetics and other subjects. I'm sure other reviewers can employ intricate terminology to refute some of the scientific claims and correlations that this book makes. I was particularly interested in the subject of phobias and how Shawn has been affected by his agoraphobia. I had an upcoming audition for a role of a character who was deceived by doctors determined to "treat" him...when in fact they were actually trying to manipula ...more
Ben Babcock
To be honest, I bought this book more because it was in a bargain bin for $5 than because it looked interesting. Although I don't go out much, I've never considered myself agoraphobic so much as misanthropic. Nevertheless, there was something intriguing about the idea of a memoir/professional discussion of phobias.

By telling aspects of his life through the lens of phobia, Allen Shawn engages in what is probably the most interesting part of the story: the cause of the phobia. Rather than attempti
Graceann
I am agoraphobic. The disease was diagnosed more than 25 years ago and my entire adult life has been a struggle to function in something approaching "normal." Sometimes I've done well, and at other times I've missed out on amazing opportunities because my own demons won't let me cross the threshold of my own home. My interest in Mr. Shawn's memoir should be fairly obvious.

Reading about how Shawn's phobias developed and how his family members had their own issues was enlightening, to say the lea
Colleen Clark
I have been aware of this book, this story for a while. I was prompted to borrow it from a library and read it now because Shawn has a new book entitled "Twin" and will be speaking at my local bookstore next week.

I thought it was insightful and provocative. Part of the interest is that his father was the 2nd editor of The New Yorker and was a legend in his time. He was editor from 1952-1987. Allen Shawn's older brother is the writer and actor of some note, Wally Shawn ("My Dinner with Andre"). A
Carolyn
I couldn't quit reading it. While most of my family have been introverts who find excuses to not get out much. We still do an occasional outing with friends and such. All but my sister that is, she sounds so much like Allen in this book.He has helped me gain some extra sympathy for her. The other phobias mention run through my bloodline too. I loved this book.
Taylor Winters
You first have to realize this is not a self-help book. The author is not promising a cure from this book, but a relief of not being alone in the strange world of phobias. I'm not cured of mine, but I am relieved that I am not the only one that feels insane. With brief references (and history) of Sigmund Freud ever now and then, a few relevant poems by Emily Dickinson, and inspiring quotes before the start of each chapter, this book will be an all-time favorite of mine. Allen Shawn had an intere ...more
Christopher
Notes from a phobic life, the subtitle of the book, is accurate. It really isn't a biography. It really isn't a memoir. It isn't even a book of philosophy. Shawn just assays himself like Montaigne, drawing deeply from his own life, and the result is smooth, interesting reading which is often Lewis Thomas-like. He is thoroughly and explicitly Darwinian and Freudian throughout, but I didn't hate him, which says a lot for his ability to bring the reader along. So four stars for enjoyment, ease, and ...more
Shiloh
This is a pretty dry account of various sources of panic and anxiety. The author goes really in depth into the physiological reasons until something that makes you feel crazy actually begins to look pretty simple and harmless. He also talks about genetics and childhood factors and some of the panic he's mastered in his own life.

Okay, I've read a little more into this and the second half is less dry (goes more into the author's personal life) and more compelling, so I am going to finish this one.
Tamra Amato
Allen Shaw's insight into his illness is remarkable. How his illness shaped his life and the ways he could shape his own life in spite of his illness is inspirational. So many suffering from agoraphobia don't know how to put their experience and symptoms into words. Allen Shawn's words hold the experience of agoraphobia in a clear glass shell so we can see the intense reality of living with this illness.

A must read for all doctors (not just psychiatrists). Without accurate knowledge of this illn
Kathleen
Allen goes back to examine his life, complete with phobias. Everything is stripped away and he is able to put together what it meant to let his twin sister go into an institution at age eight. (and he feared that he might be taken away as well) His father let a double life with another partner, but Allen didn't know it growing up. Still, he knew that something was "off" in his family. His mother held him close, and didn't want him to grow up. Allen comes to terms with these aspects of his life a ...more
Teresa
I found this book at a used book store, and thought it would be an interesting read because there is a history of specific phobias and panic attacks in family members . I applaud Shawn for his attempts to make sense of the phobias in his and his parents' lives, but unfortunately this book was extremely slow in places. I found the parts about his experiences extremely interesting and enlightening, but the scientific jargon and explanations were dull and uninteresting to me. I do feel I got a lot ...more
Cara
A good book to peruse on phobias. I enjoyed it!
Suzanne
Nov 27, 2007 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in - or who suffer from - anxiety/worry/panic
I am enjoying this book very much. I am interested in anxiety/worry/panic, and especially in its origins - and Allen Shawn writes descriptions of the anxiety state with verisimilitude. As I have suspected - and as is verified in this book and other memoirs I have read, such a Family Romance by John Lanchester - an important cause of anxiety is learned suppression of emotions. I'll write more about this book when I'm finished.
Lisa
I had mixed feelings about this book. How does one write an engaging memoir about an agoraphobic life? His descriptions of his family are beautifully written but the chapters on how the brain works reminded me of a college psych textbook. I kept reading because I was hoping for more of that brilliant writing, and in the end I was rewarded. I think it was brave of him to write this book and I also think his story is quite sad.
Michelle
Jul 19, 2009 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: phobics
This was a comprehensive study of phobias and how they impact the author's daily life. Shawn was the son of the long-time New Yorker editor and fraternal twin to a severely autistic sister. He makes an interesting correlation between his connection/ separation from Mary his twin and his own agoraphobia. I was reading this for my master's project and although I only got one or two ideas it was a fascinating read.
Rachel Nobel Fields
May 29, 2007 Rachel Nobel Fields rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an anxiety disorder; anyone curious about anxiety disorders
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the kind of book where the writer explores a broader phenomenon (in this case, anxiety and phobia) through the lens of personal experience. Unfortunately I wasn't as interested in the writer's personal experience as I was in the sections where he explores broader issues like the origins of anxiety disorders and phobias; those sections I found really fascinating and I would like to read more about that.
Peter
Allen Shawn, Wallace's Brother, is a composer, a professor and a remarkably phobic individual. This memoir, and marvelous forensic account of one's own illnesses, is witty, provocative, sad and truly moving. Allen Shawn has his family in his genes and the result is a mystery of nurture and nature. Well written, abosrbing, this story stays with you.
Lois
This was fascinating to me because I wanted to have a better understanding of phobias. The parts of it dealing with cutting-edge brain research were heavy going, but his life story and that of his famous family more than made up for it. His struggle to understand his condition was brave and insightful. Well worth reading.
Adrienne
As a fellow sufferer of anxiety/panic disorder, I was more interested in the author's experiences. It focused a bit too much on the physiological aspects for my taste. It was a bit depressing, because the author seems to cater more to his issues than I feel is healthy, but I can definitely relate to it.
LL
Good short book written by a music professor who also has several phobias. Not an extensive examination of cause and effect but more of a personal description of his life and the possible reasons for his anxieties. The author is the son of William Shawn, beloved editor of The New Yorker for 35 years.
Karianne
This was an interesting read especially for anyone who has ever taken the stairs to avoid an elevator, or driven to avoid a flight, etc. I could identify with the author and I appreciated all the research he included within the book. It was a bit dry at parts but overall a very interesting read.
  • Have You Found Her
  • Nowhere Near Normal: A Memoir of OCD
  • What Are You?: Voices of Mixed-Race Young People
  • Just Checking: Scenes From the Life of an Obsessive-Compulsive
  • The Birthday Party: A Memoir of Survival
  • The Day I Went Missing: A True Story
  • Ordinary People
  • A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys)
  • Comfortably Numb: How Psychiatry Is Medicating a Nation
  • The Most Famous Man in America: The Biography of Henry Ward Beecher
  • Love & Death: My Journey through the Valley of the Shadow
  • The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia and Depression
  • Them: A Memoir of Parents
  • Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression
  • Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)
  • The Future Lasts Forever: A Memoir
  • Matisse the Master: The Conquest of Colour, 1909-1954
  • Is There No Place on Earth for Me?
Twin: A Memoir Arnold Schoenberg's Journey Leonard Bernstein: An American Musician Tango Elixir: Full Score