A Lot like Love (FBI / US Attorney, #2)

A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  14,961 ratings  ·  936 reviews
The FBI wants her cooperation...

As the daughter of a billionaire and the owner of the city's top wine store, Jordan Rhodes is invited to the most exclusive parties in Chicago. But there's only one party the FBI wants to crash: the charity fundraiser of a famous restaurateur, who also happens to launder money for the mob. In exchange for her brother's release from prison, J...more
Paperback, Berkley Sensation, 274 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Penguin

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
1st out of 385 books — 800 voters
Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Best Ever Contemporary Romance Books
33rd out of 2,233 books — 5,076 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

I just read and adored Something About You and then started this immediately afterward, and there’s a whole lot to love about A Lot Like Love.

FBI Agent Nick McCall is coming off a grueling undercover assignment and looking for a little R&R before taking his next case, but instead finds himself tasked with assisting a junior agent in an undercover money laundering investigation. In order to infiltrate an exclusive charity event held by one of Chicago’s wealthies...more
Pamela
May 17, 2011 Pamela rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense and witty contemporary romance; readers who are stuck on planes
The woman who sat in front of me on my flight from Detroit to Denver is very lucky I had this book loaded on my Kindle. I loved the story, and it distracted me from the misery of having a seat back rammed against my knees for three hours. You know the book has got to be good.

A LOT LIKE LOVE tells the story of Jordan Rhodes, heiress to half of a billion-dollar fortune, and Nick McCall, FBI agent. Rhodes isn't a prissy heiress whose biggest worries are ruining her manicure or being seen with the r...more
Catarina
4 Cute Stars.

Jordan is a billionaire heir that suddenly sees herself with the FBI trying to make a deal with her.
She is connected with powerful people that the FBI wants behind bars so they make a deal with her: if she help them, they will find a way to set her brother free.
Nick is the agent responsible for her, but when they pretend to be a couple in a party and things go south, they have to keep pretending in order to keep the façade.
But there’s the thing about pretending, it can become ver...more
Nomes
2.5 ~ 3 stars

Things I love about Julie James novels:

witty/snarky banter between the two main leads
the dual POV which adds to the experience
the build up of sexual tension/attraction which ends in some HOT (but not too smutty) bedroom scenes
the rom-com feel
the fact that it's a light breezy smiley kind of read
it's fun chick-lit vibe without being too chick-litty...

HOWEVER this book did not live up to my expectations...

this is my least fave Julie James novel so far. I still enjoyed reading it and...more
Maldivianbookreviewer
Holy Smokin' 5 Star Read!!

Holy smokin’ hotness! Julie James just keeps getting better and better and has delivered on all aspects with her 4th contemporary romance and has totally blown me away with the sinfully mouthwatering Nick McCall. This was exactly what I needed after my last read which I had similar high expectations which ended up being a huge disappointment and in euphoria over how well this one turned out, I just might end up blowing a couple of kisses through Twitter to Ms. James b...more
kilty
Surface charm!

A fun read...
Top 5 silly reasons that made it fun for me :

(1) Hero was
(a) burn-holes-through-your-bra HOT FBI agent
(b) half-scottish, half-Italian ..calls his mother Ma (my fav line in the book, "Well, Ma, see...there's this girl")
(c) Tall, Dark, and Smoldering
(d) Tall, Dark, and Sarcastic
(e) Tall, Dark, and Scruffy-jawed
(f) ALL OF THE ABOVE

(2) The tennis speed wise-crack exchange where the readers zing back and forth..the result being always the same..LOVE ALL:)

(3) The warm, f...more
Catherine
Despite the positive reviews I’ve seen all over the place for books by Julie James, I haven’t read one of them before now. That’s right, I’m a bona fide James virgin. Why would I wait so long? Well, contemporaries and I rarely agree. I find a lot of the characters ridiculous and not at all authentic. It’s like they walked straight out of Mayberry. It just drives me insane, so I rarely pick them up. But I finally had to take a chance on James. I had to see what all the fuss was about.

Luckily, thi...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View review here at Under the Covers

I have a confession to make. I don’t read many contemporary romance novels. It’s not that I have anything against them. They’re just an avenue I have yet to explore in romance. I’ve heard a lot about Julie James and her books for awhile now. But it wasn’t until the DABWAHA competition that I realized that there must be a reason why readers adore her. And after reading A Lot Like Love, I know why.

I’m not quite sure how to even begin speaking about all the goo...more
♥Rachel♥
Apr 10, 2012 ♥Rachel♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Smut Monday Club
Shelves: kindle, favorites
I have to congratulate Julie James. She writes spicy with a lot of class! This second book in the FBI series does not disappoint. With an engrossing plot, and sexual tension that gradually heats up to fire-hot, you can't put this down once you start!

FBI agent, Nick McCall and billionaire heiress, Jordan Rhodes lives are thrown together when Jordan is "asked" to help on a money-laundering case. It seems Jordan is part of a select group that gets invited to Xander Eckhart's restaurant once a year...more
Apr 10, 2012 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Smut Monday Club
”Thank God he annoyed her a good ninety-five percent of the time they were together, because she had no intention of being attracted to Nick McCall.”

Yeah sure, Jordan! Keep telling yourself that! :D Haha….How could we not fall for Agent Nick McCall? With those blazing green eyes and possessive, rough, passionate ways, Nick swoops in, grabs hold, and steals hearts!

I adored these two characters! Nick and Jordan’s quick, banter with a bite sparked and jumped off the page! Very hot! Julie James see...more
Nisha
Julie James never let me down before, and I knew she wasn't going to let me down for this book. After reading, I must say that I loved it. Hence the 5 stars. I can't say its my favorite though. More on that later.

Jordan, our heroine, is a billionaire heiress, who has her own wine business. She's hot, stylish, and passionate about wine. Oh yea, she normally dates clean-cut, loafer-wearing preps. Nick is the 'Tall, Dark and smoldering' undercover FBI agent who needs Jordan as his cover to infiltra...more
Jill

FBI agent Nick McCall needs help from Jordan Rhodes, heiress. She has the connections that Nick needs to plant a listening device to bring down a ring of criminals laundering money. She agrees to help in exchange for getting her brother released from jail.

Overall this was a good contemporary novel that completely sizzled in places and flopped in others. My biggest disappointment was in the portrayal of the heroine. She is simply too perfect. Afterall, how many readers can relate to a fe...more
Ronyell
To be honest, I was actually surprised that Julie James would make a sequel to her first book Something About You (a book I read years ago) and ever since I read that book and “Practice Makes Perfect,” I just had to try out more books by her! “A Lot like Love” is the perfect romance novel to read for anyone who is a fan of romance novels that has a bit of crime and mystery thrown in!

The book starts off with the FBI trying to arrest Xander Eckhart, who has secret dealings with mob leader Roberto...more
Leah
Romance novels--whether they are contemporary, paranormal, or historical--can be extraordinarily cliché. Shocker, I know, but it's very true. However, I feel that Julie James manages to steer clear of them. I'm sure there are some in her books, but they are never so obscenely obvious as to make the book boring or ridiculous. And for that, I have to give James her kudos. It's quite a feat to be able to write a book without conspicuous clichés and to, yet again, deliver a superb literary creation....more
valee
I loved this book, although I must admit it took me a while to get there. The beginning was a bit slow for me, probably because the author took a lot of pages describing things and developing a lot the plot. Only for this reason I have to say that Just the Sexiest Man Alive is still my fav book from this author, but now A Lot Like Love is my 2nd fav.

Once I got over the slow part and the characters actually got to spend some time together I got extremely addicted to the book. First, you can see t...more
Kindle Gal
Review and author interview posted on Kindles & Wine

I will forever be grateful to Amazon for recommending I try a Julie James book. She is one of my absolute favorite contemporary romance authors and this book perfectly demonstrates why I love her writing. A Lot Like Love is smart, sassy, sexy, and so much fun!

Jordan Rhodes is a billionaire heiress, thanks to a dad who created the world’s most popular anti-virus software. She’s smart and beautiful and rich, and she is one of my favorite hero...more
Laura the Highland Hussy

Liked it even better than Something About You! I think you will want a glass of wine with you when you read.
will review later for www.gotfiction.wordpress.com

"Can't stop reading...Must put book down...need sleep..." that was my status update for about halfway through the book. Trust me when I say it is easy to read straight through, so start this one in the daytime...not at 10pm like I did.

Julie James is my new go-to for contemporary romance. Now you all might remember I don't actually...more
Jaci Burton
You know how I judge whether a book is awesome or not? If I don't want to put it down and work on my own book--then a book is awesome. A LOT LIKE LOVE was one of those books I didn't want to put down. I absolutely loved it. Smart, sassy heroine, and a hot and sexy hero coupled with a dynamic, well thought out plot make this a must buy. Add in Julie James typical humor and crackling dialogue and this is another winner. If she writes it, I'll read it.

Mojca
The FBI needs ears in the office of a money-launderer for the mob. But they need a decoy to plant those ears. Enter Jordan Rhodes, gorgeous heiress and wine connoisseur. She’ll get them into a charity event, posing as an agent’s girlfriend in exchange for her brother’s freedom. Easy as pie. Especially when the agent posing as her boyfriend isn’t the asshat that gets on her nerves.

The big day comes and the nice agent is down with the stomach flu and Jordan is stuck with the asshat, Nick McCall. O...more
Tammy Walton Grant

These books are the literary equivalent of Cracker Jacks for me - light, tasty and I inhale the whole thing in one sitting.

Julie James is easy to read, her characters immensely likable, the stories familiar, the dialogue quick and funny, and the steam level sits right around the mid-mark. Just like I've rated this book, as a matter of fact.

This one is about the daughter of a billionaire who owns a wine shop. Her brother is in federal prison for hacking into Twitter and one of her custom...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
Contemporary romance in my opinion is a very predictable genre and I suppose this book was no exception, but it was like watching a favourite movie, although you can tell what is going to happen in the end (the inevitable HEA) it was still a completely enjoyable experience getting there.

I loved the characters. This was my Nick,

[image error]

And obviously Jordan was none other than ME (because I always live vicariously through my books)!!! So I assume you can all understand that I was drooling thr...more
Anne OK
The best one yet by Julie James! Can't say enough good things about it -- just a fantastic fun read from beginning to ending. You definitely won't want to miss A LOT LIKE LOVE!!! Review to follow after official release date.

Note: Was lucky to have an early peek!
♡Karlyn P♡
I love how Julie James contemporaries always include smart and intelligent characters as the hero and heroine, and A LOT LIKE LOVE does it in spades. Nick and Jordon were awesome, and I love the cheaky conversations between them. A very romantic story.
Emily May
Another fun, easy and enjoyable read from Julie James! This is my second favourite book of hers that I've read so far, better than Just the Sexiest Man Alive and Something About You but it still doesn't quite match up to my first and favourite: Practice Makes Perfect (I'm still obsessed with J.D.).

As her latest release, this was the steamiest of the lot with some very sexy and descriptive bathtime fun and the tall, dark and stubbled hero we can always expect from Ms James. The story this time d...more
Anachronist
Why I read it:

I have sadistic friends. Some of them keep borrowing me copies of romantic fiction, especially when I am planning to go away for a day or two. I am a compulsive reader, I am an addict, I read everything, good, bad and ugly and they take advantage. Sometimes I shrug these offers off, sometimes I succumb to them. This one had good reviews on Goodreads so I thought: “why not? A freebie for a dull train trip…it might be actually fun…” Right.

Synopsis:

It is a truth universally acknowledg...more
Jacqueline's Reads
4 (A Lot Like Cuteness) Stars

It’s been awhile since I’ve read a chick-lit book. It reminds me the time when I started reading and it was the genre I started out with. Julie James’ books are very sweet, a no fuss, happy-go-lucky kind of read with a touch of mild suspense.

Summary

Jordan is the daughter of a rich billionaire. She’s independent and wants to make it on her own. She’s a wine enthusiast and has a wine shop. Nick McCall is an undercover agent. He’s a man’s man meaning he doesn’t care abo...more
Norma
Stayed up half the night and avoided all housework this morning to keep reading this. After just reading two of her books, Julie James became an auto-buy for me. 4 books in and I'm still convinced that was the right decision.

Loved this book. Love the whit, the sassiness, the snark--all of it! And Ms. James brought her A-game for the love scenes. This book had a lot of LOL moments and even a mention of an old character.

Jordan's brother had been convicted of a crime and every time it's mentioned...more
Arlene
Apr 10, 2012 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arlene by: Smut Monday Club
"Well, Ma, see… there’s this girl.”

D’awwwww!!!

Okay, I really enjoyed this second installment of the Julie James FBI series. Nick McCall and Jordan Rhodes were matched to perfection. Take a millionaire heiress with a knack for wine and an Italian, Brooklyn bred FBI agent who also happens to be tall, dark and smoldering and you’re definitely going to get some witty banter, steamy moments and plenty of action (of all sorts).

In A Lot Like Love Nick Rhodes finds himself in an undercover operation t...more
Tam
I can remember reading the sneak preview for this book at the end of just the sexiest man alive and being excited but also a bit disappointed that I had to wait a year for this story.

I won't say that the wait was worth it because this book would have been a great read whether I had to wait for it or not.

I'm having trouble putting my figure on what was amazing about this story, I think mostly it's that I liked reading about the characters and I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

With J...more
Tai the Lioness
Jun 27, 2011 Tai the Lioness rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: EVERYONE, romance readers, conrom lovers
5 Stars-One of the few books that is magnificent from START to Finish
Quick Thoughts
Here's the problem. With great books like this it is hard to give it a deserving review. All I want to do is gush, and If i do that...which i probably will unknowingly, this whole review will be consited of "OMG i just love,...I love...I love...," because in all honesty, I LOVE THIS BOOK!

What I Lov...Adore (;,
1. For once, both the hero and the heroine are two honest good people. They are not screwed up, the past i...more
  • Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3)
  • The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2)
  • Her Best Worst Mistake
  • Whisper No Lies (Black Ops, #3)
  • Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3)
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Sweet Revenge (Last Chance Rescue, #8)
  • Deadly Heat (Deadly, #2)
  • Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Julie James practiced law with one of the nation's largest firms for several years until she began writing screenplays. After Hollywood producers optioned two of her scripts, she decided to leave the practice of law to write full-time. Her books have been translated into fourteen languages and Julie’s next novel, IT HAPPENED ONE WEDDING, will be avai...more
More about Julie James...
Something About You (FBI / US Attorney, #1) Just the Sexiest Man Alive Practice Makes Perfect About That Night (FBI / US Attorney, #3) Love Irresistibly (FBI / US Attorney, #4)

“I’d like to know more about this undercover agent who posed as my daughter’s date. The ubiquitous Tall, Dark, and Smoldering.'

Nick put on his best meet-the-parent smile. 'I generally prefer to go by Nick.”
111 likes
“First Pallas and now you,” the gray-haired man said, shaking his head at Nick. “It’s like I’m running a goddamn dating service around here.” 104 likes