Blank-133x176
El Nino Que No Queria ...

Helen Cooper

El Nino Que No Queria IR A Dormir = The Boy Who Wouldn't Go to Bed

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Since it's summer and the sun is still out, a little boy decides he's not going to bed. He searches for someone to play with, but everyone he meets is ready to turn in. Eventually he realizes his mother was right and drifts off to sleep.
Hardcover
Published November 22nd 2000 by Juventud (first published 1996)

Lisa Vegan
Oct 24, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who fight going to bed; as a wonderful bedtime story for young children
Having recently read this author-illustrator’s (I am so impressed when book creators can do both the writing and illustrations!) Pumpkin Soup and Dog Biscuit and given each of them 4 stars, I was intrigued by this book because of its title. And now, I’d definitely consider reading her other books too.

I think this is an excellent book for toddlers and preschoolers who tend to resist going to bed or as a bedtime story for any young child. Slightly older children might very well enjoy it too.

It’s a...more
Kathryn
lovely illustrations and a fun variation on the usual bedtime story
Leslie
Bedtime is one subject I hate arguing over. While I get the firm parenting thing, I also do not mind creative alternatives that can keep one or both of us crying and/or sulking ourselves to sleep. We had story time as a part of the routine so what better solution is there than a book where they are arguing about a bedtime that follows with the child seeing the futility of staying up? Helen Cooper understands a child’s intelligence—which is very likely why Natalya would refuse to read this one at...more
Elaine
Aug 03, 2007 Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: children
Another classic Helen Cooper book. This one is about a baby who wouldn't go to bed. He insists on riding his toy car all night. Well, he's about to have himself a night-time adventure, and at the end, there's a huge, eerie shadow come to get him, which turns out to be....you'll have to read to find out.

The illustrations here make this book a keeper for the generations -- they are at once magical, and at once childlike, and even as an adult, I'm brought back to my youngest childhood moments when...more
Randie
A little boy is determined to stay up all night but everyone and everything he encounters is sleepy and ready for bed. Everyone expect...his mother.

My son and I might be biased in our liking of this book because this is our nightly routine :). I especially admired how the illustrations and text captured many different aspects of the mother-son relationship. My son enjoyed seeing how the car, tiger, soldiers, etc found throughout the story turn out to be toys found in his room.
Kelly Whelchel
This book overall was an ok book. A great way to use this book in teaching would be with a lesson on retelling. The student could use the 5 W's work sheet. The students will fill out the What happen?, Who was there?, Why did it happen?, When did it happen?, Where did it happen? This book was really good to use because it had numerous characters that the students wanted to add. The key part is asking the students to pick out the MAIN characters.
At bedtime, the wayward baby outruns his mother into a world of make-believe. His toys come to life, and he begs each of them in turn to play with him, but all of them sagely advise him that nighttime is for sleeping. Both of my sons loved this book as toddlers. My youngest gets happy and excited when the Mother comes looking for the Baby, which I naturally find very gratifying.
Summer
This is called "The Baby Who Wouldn't Go to Bed" here in the UK, which made for some difficult hunting on Goodreads. Regardless, what a magnificent book. The illustrations are dreamy and sumptuous, and I couldn't help but think that I would love some of the prints to hang up in my daughter's room. The story is wonderful, and quite apt for children my daughter's age (3).
Ryan Treaster
This book is about a child who is not ready to go to sleep . He gets in his little car and takes off to a world with larger than life toys. These toys are too tired to play and end up putting the boy to sleep.

Reading Level- Early Readers
Curricular uses- Read aloud and independent
Literary elements- onomonopeia, pictures support the text well also

Robyn
This is one of the first non-board books that we have read with Noah, and he loves it. It won a prize for its illustrations, and they are very good, and quite clever. There aren't too many words for a 2 year old boy, and Noah is engaged for the whole book, and asks to read it again and again. Very cute, fun book.
Olivia
A boy who does not want to go to bed has a series of imaginary encounters.

Reading Practice, Read Aloud

Book Level: 2.5

Interest Level: Lower Grades (LG K-3)

Fiction/Nonfiction Fiction

Topic - Subtopic: Behavior-Disobedience; Fantasy/Imagination-Misc./Other; People-Children
Kirei
Mar 07, 2008 Kirei rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
This is really an original book. A little boy doesn't want to go to bed, runs away, and meets a tiger, a train, musicians, and the moon. Eventually he returns to his mother and to his bed.
R
I love this book. The art is good and the story is great & kinda sweet. So relevant in many homes besides my own I'm sure.
Marcie
This is Gabriel's new favorite book and especially the line when the boy says, "NO! I'm going to stay up all night."
Larry Ratcliffe
Another great Helen Cooper story but the little boy in this one looks just like mine and that makes me a bit nervous.
Kathleen
One of my favorite books to read with my boys when they were little!!!!! Just a fun, sleepy time story!!!!!
Leslie
Beautiful illustrations and a cute story reminiscent of the Phantom Tollbooth. A perfect bedtime book.
BlackhamBoys
... this was a cute story, very good for bedtime. Different, almost "impressionist" illustrations.
Beverly
Kate Greenaway Award; precious
Zoe Nelson
Zoe Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Laura added it
Jun 06, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 04, 2014
小青 廖
小青 廖 marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See here for more details
More about Helen Cooper...
Pumpkin Soup Delicious! A Pipkin of Pepper Dog Biscuit The Bear Under The Stairs