Start by marking “Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them” as Want to Read:

To open Pandora's Box is to get yourself into trouble through unwise curiosity. It has been one of those days. You've worked like a Trojan, displaying titanic strength and stoic endurance in order to overcome the Herculean labours that have faced you in order to meet that deadline. We regularly employ classically-derived expressions in our everyday language, yet many of us ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Michael O'Mara Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Opening Pandora's Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Opening Pandora's Box

Xyleen Qien
If you get the reader's digest version, it be worth it.
E
Apr 03, 2016 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Finding it hard to give a review and rating for 'Opening Pandora's' Box, because it wasn't the book I had thought it would be. I bought it almost a year ago, and had kind of forgotten what it was. I thought it was going to be a collection of Greek and Roman stories, myths and legends, comfortably reminding us of names we know so well, but never knew their full stories.

Well, I suppose it was kind of like that but in a different format. The way it worked (which I would have know if I'd reread the
Natascha
Aug 07, 2012 Natascha rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-reads
This book (like the titel suggests) gives an overview and explaination of the phrases and words in modern language that are rooted in Classical culture. I find it a very informative and fun read. The information about each phrase is not to overwhelming so the material isn't only destined for a experts in the field of Classical history.
Sean
Nov 11, 2015 Sean rated it liked it
Thin volume revisiting the origins of everyday phrases and terms and how they originated from some of the earliest European stories - Roman and Greek gods - histories and their writers. One for the language buffs - you probably know most of these - "ides of march" , "sword of damocles", "to be struck by cupids arrow" etc - but always good to have a refresher.
Apr 11, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
I found it pretty useful for a job I had to do for school about phrases we use nowadays that come from the classics but only to find the phrases if you want a more formal and detailed definition you will have to look it up.
Dinah
Apr 14, 2016 Dinah rated it really liked it
A nice book that is more of an encyclopedia than an anthology. However, it still got across the point of many myths, debunked some prominent misconceptions surrounding some myths, and had wit and humor. Not a long book, but worth the read!
Gary
Mar 13, 2013 Gary rated it really liked it
Whether one wishes to refresh one's knowledge of some of the most interesting bits of classical mythology and history or to learn the source of phrases and peek into the creative wealth of the Classical heritage this book does the job admirably.

Loved it.
Richard Martin
May 09, 2014 Richard Martin rated it liked it
A compendium of words and expressions derived from Classical Greek and Roman cultures presented in dictionary format. The word/phrase is given first followed by its contemporary usage. Finally the historical background is cited. A nice refresher course of the classics.
Donald
Mar 17, 2014 Donald rated it really liked it
A pleasure to drop into for the purposes of reminding oneself of the meaning of phrases once investigated and of being jolted into recognising other familiar phrases the origins of which you've never bothered to track. Easily digestible which adds to the delight reading it occasions.
Wsclai
Feb 20, 2016 Wsclai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned a lot more about Greek and Roman mythologies and got to know that many of the words in English we use today have their origins from Greek or Latin. Interesting.
Colette Coen
Sep 11, 2015 Colette Coen rated it really liked it
A good book to dip in and out of with information on the phrases we have borrowed from the classical world.
Alexandros
Sep 21, 2012 Alexandros rated it really liked it
Really interesting book on the origins of phrases (most of them Ancient Greek or Latin).

A joy to read.
Julie Marr
Dec 20, 2014 Julie Marr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I enjoyed this book, mainly because I enjoy the origins of words and phrases that we take for granted in everyday usage. A nicely written, short read.
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Büşra
Büşra rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2012
Nicola
Nicola rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Joe Cooney
Joe Cooney rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
John Deltuvia
John Deltuvia rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Katto
Katto rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Pamela McLeod
Pamela McLeod rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
KM Jeffery
KM Jeffery rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2012
Kitty
Kitty rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Rosa Tough
Rosa Tough rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
M Rizal M Nor
M Rizal M Nor rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Gayatri
Gayatri rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Rhiannon Johnson
Rhiannon Johnson rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Classical Education: The Stuff You Wish You'd Been Taught in School
  • Spilling the Beans on the Cat's Pajamas: Popular Expressions-What They Mean and How We Got Them
  • I Think, Therefore I Am: All the Philosophy You Need to Know
  • The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
  • Bloomsbury Good Reading Guide: Discover your next great read
  • Letters to My Torturer: Love, Revolution, and Imprisonment in Iran
  • The History of the Book in 100 Books: The Complete Story, from Egypt to E-Book
  • The Genius of China: 3000 Years of Science, Discovery and Invention
  • Infographic Guide to Literature
  • By the Book: A Reader's Guide to Life
  • The Story of Philosophy
  • The Woman He Loved
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: I Can't Believe My Cat Did That!: 101 Stories about the Crazy Antics of Our Feline Friends
  • A Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
Ferdie Addis has loved classics since he first got his hands on a picture book version of the Odyssey aged four. After a degree in Greek and Latin at Oxford University, and a brief stint as a researcher for TV documentaries, he's extremely happy to be back where he started, reading and writing about the myths and legends of the ancient world.

- http://www.bookish.com/authors/ferdie...
More about Ferdie Addis...