Start by marking “The Aminal” as Want to Read:
The Aminal

The Aminal

When Patrick tells a friend about the wild creature he is bringing home as a pet, the "animal" becomes an increasingly larger and more fearful monster as different children pass on what they have heard.
Published November 30th 2004 by Star Bright Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Aminal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aminal

Becca
Oct 23, 2013 Becca rated it really liked it
I did this with both 1st graders and 6th graders. Students drew the "aminal" based on the descriptions in the text. They then showed their drawings and told what words in the text led them to choose their depiction. At the end I showed them the illustrations and re-read the descriptions so they could compare theirs, the text, and what the Balian's decided to do. Let me just add that I let the 6th graders vote which book to read, this or "Tell Me A Scary Story--But not too Scary."
Renee
Sep 24, 2010 Renee rated it really liked it
“The Animal” is an adorable story about a child who finds an animal he decides would make good company for him. While he is bringing his new friend home he tells another friend on the way home about his new friend, but he doesn’t tell them what the animal is. The friend’s imagination is working over time and she runs to tell another friend about the animal. The children keep passing the story along and the tail keeps getting longer with the children’s imaginations. Pretty soon the kids are ...more
Arica Newcom
The Animal is a fun story that teaches readers the importance of what others are saying. The characters in the book are frightened when they think a dangerous animal has been found by one of their younger friends. The little boy who finds the animal does not know the name of it and simply describes what it looks like to a friend. Each time it is explained to a new friend the description grows scarier and scarier with each telling. The book can be used to show the importance of listening ...more
Erin
Oct 22, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok
I like the story in this book, but the illustrations throw me. It's basically a game of telephone. Patrick catches an animal (or "aminal") and tells a friend what he found just by describing it. That friend describes the aminal to another friend and so on and so on until his friends are all frightened for his safety. When they rush to make sure Patrick is okay, they find out that he caught a turtle. They are much relieved that it is not the huge scary monster they think it is.

Okay for preschool
Kristin Traina
I really love this book, it shows how crazy a persons imagination can be and how we may see things differently. I think you could also use it for a science lesson on theories and or hypothesis. You could pair the book with a vague description of something and have he class draw pictures then see what they all came up with and show the differences. This could also serve as a greg lesson on imagery.
Grade: K-5 scientific inquiry and curiosity
Traci Bold
Jul 23, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Classic tale of the telephone game but about a cute, little, ferocious monstrous aminal after all.

Written and illustrated by Lorna & Lecia Balian. Published by Star Bright Books.

#storytelling #PB #silly
Rachel Burt
Feb 19, 2010 Rachel Burt rated it it was amazing
Awesome book with fantastic illustrations!! Great to teach about exaggerations/gossip and also descriptive writing. Kids could draw what they think the "aminal" looks like as you read the book or make up their own "aminals" afterward.
Coral
Oct 19, 2008 Coral rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A tale about how a story can be transformed as it goes from one person to another, to another, to another....

The illustrations are fun to look at, too.
Melissa
Jul 08, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture

Found at local library. Good for lessons about gossip. Also, good for a lesson about visualization/mind movies.
foo4luv
Feb 17, 2011 foo4luv rated it liked it
I haven't seen this book since my kindergarten teacher read it our class. Just as cute as I remembered.
Lee Ann
Dec 27, 2011 Lee Ann rated it it was amazing
I was not the biggest of readers growing up. But I always remember this one. I remember checking it out time and time again in elementary school just to reread it.
Staci
Jan 29, 2012 Staci rated it it was amazing
The pictures were not colored in the original edition. Why do they have to go and change a good thing? Still a cute story after all these years when I read it to my own kids.
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Randi
Jun 23, 2014 Randi rated it it was amazing
Cute example of the "telephone" game.
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Kerry Given
Kerry Given rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Bunny Goshorn
Bunny Goshorn rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2009
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2009
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2014
Shawntae Brown
Shawntae Brown rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Sandra Nagy
Sandra Nagy rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Feb 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite children's books! A treasure!
Darcy Huber
Darcy Huber rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Autumn Linford
Autumn Linford rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Lady Susan
Lady Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013