Start by marking “The Priest” as Want to Read:
The Priest

The Priest (Sons of Encouragement #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,778 ratings  ·  68 reviews
THE PRIEST begins Francine Rivers series of the lives of five men who stood behind the great heroes of the faith. Building upon her tremendous success with the LINEAGE OF GRACE SERIES, THE PRIEST finds Rivers at her best as we meet Aaron, brother of Moses, and first High Priest of Israel. Listen as Rivers takes a man seen as part of a supporting cast and elevates him to hi ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published May 15th 2004 by Oasis Audio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Priest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Priest

Mandy J. J.
"The Priest" was the first Francine River's book I have read. I was not dissapointed! Francine did an amazing job of staying true to the Biblical account of Aaron while at the same time capturing his emotions and human perspective as a simple man beyond that of the title of "Bible character".

She probed the depth of what it was like to be a man that many in today's age admire and scorn in the same breath. I walked into this story thinking "how could he have made the golden calf?", and stumbled aw
Thebarrys10
I listened to this tale about Moses from Aaron's point of view. At first I thought that it was going to be the Ten Commandments all over again, but I FELT so much while listening. The process of Aaron's path to humility, repentance, ultimate dependance on God was worth the 6 hours of listening.
Veronica
This was an extremely hard book for me to read. All I could think about was how stupid the Israelites were and how they were squandering the opportunities God had given them. I mean, come on, how could they forgot all of the miracles God worked for them! But, as I read more and more, God started to work in my heart. How many times had I been just like the Israelites, questioning God when things were good and then running to him, begging and pleading, when things were bad. How many times had I re ...more
Gloria
Aug 14, 2014 Gloria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; historical fiction; Jewish and Christian readers
This first of five books about men who were part of major stories, but we don't hear much about in the Bible is a great fictional account.

This book is about Aaron and Francine Rivers states that she uses the account in Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers to frame the story, then used her imagination and logic to bring the story to "life". It is very well written and, to me at least, brought the characters and the biblical story to life.

There are many Psalms used during this book - as snippets, though
Ellen
Rivers does an outstanding job retelling the story of Moses through a person some may see as a supporting cast member, behind the scenes: Aaron. Pulling in vast and accurate Biblical detail, she extrapolates plausible dialog and situations that follow the Children of Israel from slavery in Egypt, through the 10 plagues, and to the shores of the Jordan River. A main emphasis of the story is on Aaron's learning to support rather than envy the leadership of his younger brother, and how the temptati ...more
Annette
Plot in a nutshell: A retelling of the story of Exodus from Aaron's POV.
Didn't get into it very quickly. Obviously it's a very familiar story, so there's not a lot the author can do to surprise you with plot points. But I've enjoyed other Biblical retellings considerably more - perhaps especially those by Orson Scott Card. (Come to think of it, I think he wrote one about Moses I quite enjoyed, but I can't find it in Goodreads right off the bat.)
Anyway, this one suffered from (IMHO) an excess o
Tammy
I'm only giving this book 3 stars because it reminded me too much of the Bible version. I didn't feel like there was enough story behind it, maybe because the Bible is so detailed.

One part that did make me think was when Aaron compared his life with his brother, Moses. "While Aaron lived the life of a slave, Moses grew up in a palace. While Aaron was tutored by hard labor and abuse at the hands of taskmasters, Moses was taught to read and write and speak and live like an Egyptian. Aaron wore ra
Terry Morgan
Francine Rivers is one of my favorite historical fiction writers. I really enjoyed this read about the first Jewish high Priest, Aaron, who served directly under Moses. It gave the perspective of what his thoughts might be as the Jews are freed from Egypt; crossing the Red Sea; and wandering in the Desert. I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend this as good quick summer read.
Sherri
Rivers takes the Bible and turns it into a living breathing account of what could have happened. While staying true to the account she adds feeling and emotion to the people that you imagine you're there feeling the heat on your face, the whip on your back, the sand on your feet and the presence of God in the pillar of cloud and fire.

I like how she got across the forgetfulness of the chosen people and the struggles of Aaron and Moses in dealing with the people. To see the strengths and weakness
Gail
I really liked this as I can so identify with Aaron. Out of all the characters Mrs. Rivers has written, I really can relate the most to Aaron and his feelings of inadequacy. It gave me insight into what could have motivated the golden calf incident and the deaths of Nadab and Abihu. I think Mrs. Rivers is best at writing of Biblical or early Christian historical fiction. I've read a few of her modern or early 20th cent. works and I feel more connected to and more vibrancy in her early historical ...more
Karen
This is an easy, quick read that is enjoyable and is true to the biblical story even though it is fiction. The story focuses on Aaron, who is Moses’ older brother but does not usually get much credit for his role in delivering his people from slavery. Aaron endures the back breaking work of a slave his entire life in Egypt while Moses lives in a palace and then a fairly comfortable life in Midian. Although they have lived different lives and barely know each other, God uses both men to free the ...more
Joy
Fictional account of the Biblical story of Aaron the priest. It was kind of discouraging. Maybe I just related to Aaron too much.
Anna Meyer
It lead me back to the word, as its goal was. The story of the Exodus in a whole new light!
Luke D
Read a while ago, but remember it being very good (same with 1-3 of the series).
JoAnn
The first part of the book left me wondering what happened to one of my favorite authors. It seemed like there were transitions missing from the story of the plagues and the crossing of the Red Sea, though I did like seeing Moses grief over what the Egyptians were going through during that section.
It was the second part of the story, the story of the journey to the edge of the Promised Land and then the years of wandering in the desert that reminded me why I enjoy Francine Rivers writing so much
Grace Kelly
Great read! Loved the realism of the feelings and heart felt thoughts of the caracters. Truly brought to life the book of exodus!
Judith
This was my favorite out of the series. Aaron, the brother of Moses. Moses got all the credit. Aaron shows resentment - after all, he IS the older brother. I can see myself in him, as I am the older sister. But Aaron also realizes that God is the one ultimately in control. He continues to find himself inadequate for the job of priesthood - and yet God chose him to do that job. We are all inadequate for the job that God entrusts on us. Yet, that's how God chooses to work in this world - through i ...more
Cori
Quick Impression: I should probably be more excited listening to the stories of my faith, but the way this was written was kind of a snooze. And running from Egyptians, pillars of fire, wars, and family sagas should not be a snooze. It had to do with the dialogue — much of it felt very stilted and unrealistic, like a Moses or Aaron robot. But I related to Israel’s push-and-pull sort of faith, as I’m sure many people would.

Read my mini review here: http://letseatgrandpa.com/2011/03/31/...
librarian4Him02
Moses' brother Aaron was called on to speak for his brother before Pharoah. Then, he played the role of defending his brother to the Israelites in the wilderness. Finally, God called him to be High Priest of the Jewish people following their exodus from Egypt.

Rivers included vivid details of Ancient Egyptian culture. She did a great job of bringing to life the historical figures from this key period in Jewish history. I enjoyed reading the events of Exodus from a different perspective.
Joy DeKok
I suppose I've known the stories of Moses and the Children of Israel for fifty years (I'm 54 as I write this review). I've always focused on Moses because the storytellers did. Now, when I read the biblical account, I am far more aware of Aaron. In this book, The Priest, Rivers leveled the field between the two brothers. For all his mistakes (really Aaron - a gold calf?), I came away from this book liking the brother behind the brother.

Jeri
At the back of the book, there is a page that says something to the effect that it was Rivers' goal to whet the readers appetite to explore the Bible and decide what they believe is the truth about Aaron's motives, decisions, and life. This book did just that for me. I want to know more. I will be reading the next four books in this series in short order.

I own these books and will loan them out to people that will return them.
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
I thought this was a really good book and enjoyed how it made Scripture come alive. It was fun to think about such a familiar story in a fresh, new way and from the perspective of Aaron, who I didn't know much about. The audio version seemed REALLY long to me—at almost 9 hours. By the end, my interest was waning. This might have been a better book for me to read since it wasn't that long in the print version.
Madewithsticks
This book is competently written but emotionally very hard in some places. It's very effective in making me crave reading through Exodus Etc. again. And I want to do further research into the historical context of it. If anything the emotional queasiness spurs me on to more prayer to evaluate and grow from it.

Very interesting.

Recommended by my dear friend Jill A. <3
Meadow
Aaron is the shadow of Moses, even though he is the older brother. Aaron struggles with resentment, but knows God's plan is bigger then his.

This book was written very well. It had my attention to the end.
She includes all the Biblical stories and adds personality to the characters. Hihgly Recomended

Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Stacey Newland
Loved it. Followed along with my bible.
Nicole
I bought this series in a complete set. I have to say I struggled the most with this book. This book of the series, is the slowest moving and seemed to me to hold the least interest. Honestly, if you wanted to start with book two you could, and wouldn't miss anything as each book can stand alone. So, perhaps I rated this one too high...
Elisabeth Lewis
I didn't finish the book it was definitely more boring then the next book in the series.
Suzanne
I've read many of Francine Rivers Historical books about Bible characters or based on Bible characters. The beginning and end of the book was very good and gave pause for thought. The middle just sort of drug on... probably like the 40 years did for the Israelites. Thanks for the chance to experience this.
Chrissy
This book was hard to feel a part of in that the sacrificing requirements are just so foreign. I felt myself feeling it would be very difficult to be a part of it. However it gave better insight into Aaron's character, possibly, since he is spoken of highly in the Bible despite his whole golden calf fiasco.
While I've enjoyed all of Francine Rivers' Lineage of Grace and Sons of Encouragement books, this was my least favorite. It felt like constant whining. It's a pretty accurate representation of Exodus and Numbers, but as a mother of young children, I read to escape the whining, not to find more of it :)
  • First Light (A.D. Chronicles, #1)
  • Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)
  • Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1)
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • Magdalene
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Dark Hour
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...
Redeeming Love A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) The Atonement Child As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)