Start by marking “Long Live the King” as Want to Read:
Long Live the King

Long Live the King

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Long Live the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Live the King

D.w.
Well worth the effort to find and read. it's free as well. A Ruritanian Romance that was recommended to me. I am on a writing kick to create some Ruritanian fiction.

The book opens with the tale through the eyes of a near ten year old boy so we at first think that this will be a childrens tale. It has many elements of such, but then there are adventure elements as well for an adult to appreciate also.

As with some Ruritania tales, the rest of true Europe is obscured, but we have a neighboring ene
Marci
I would give this 2 1/2 stars. This was my least favorite of the pre-1920 novels of Mary Roberts Rinehart. It's a Ruritanian tale with an unclear focus. There's the requisite princess who is supposed to marry against her heart's desire, the noble-but-socially-beneath-her young man who is supposed to save the day, and there's the Prince who may not ascend to the throne if his enemies have their way. In short, it has many of the elements of Anthony Hope's The Prisoner of Zenda, but the point of vi ...more
Millie Chidester
Right after I finished reading "K," which I found delightful, I decided to try another by this author. Judging by the title, I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. I loved the author's portrayal of the lonely little heir to the throne, and his interactions with--and his concerns for--those who ordered his life.
Judy
It took me awhile to read this -- political intrigue -- in two fantasy countries in Europe -- revolutionaries wanted to do away with a kingdom for a republic -- a plot to kidnap the Crown Prince -- all in all, I'm not sure if I enjoyed it. I definitely will not read it again.
Cindy
Fun, but dated sort of old-fashioned romance and adventure about the heir to a mythical European kingdom and the various intrigues around the palace. I liked it, but I skimmed quite a bit. Reminded me of The Prince and the Pauper.
Carol Ann
This could have been a sweet story, if Miss Rinehart had shortened it by 100+ pages. I have a number of her books downloaded on my kindle. I will try one more and see if this mistake is a one shot deal.
Tobius
I started this ebook back in December of 2012, and I had a hard time getting into the book, not my kind of book, it wasn't bad just not my cup of tea is all..
Myrna
I didn't enjoy this book of Mary Roberts Rinehart as much as I've enjoyed other books of hers that I've read.
Rebecca
This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.
Definitely not all of her books were written equal.
Erin Coleman emry
Erin Coleman emry marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Geetanjali
Geetanjali marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jennifer A. Smith
Jennifer A. Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Jennifer A. Smith
Jennifer A. Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Heartshome
Heartshome marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Heidi Lueck
Heidi Lueck marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Morpheus
Morpheus marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...
The Circular Staircase The Man in Lower Ten The Bat The Yellow Room The Case of Jennie Brice