Start by marking “My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (There Be Pirates, #1; Kit and Olivia, #2; Nightcreature, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; The Dresden Files, #7.5; Dark-Hunter, #6.25)” as Want to Read:

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (There Be Pirates #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  11,012 ratings  ·  442 reviews
Werewolves, vampires, witches, voodoo, Elvis---and weddings

An "ordinary" wedding can get crazy enough, so can you imagine what happens when otherworldly creatures are involved? Nine of the hottest authors of paranormal fiction answer that question in this delightful collection of supernatural wedding stories. What's the seating plan when rival clans of werewolves and vampi
Published October 3rd 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This was a great anthology. I enjoyed each story, and I breezed right through it.

My thoughts of each story:

Spellbound by LA Banks. This was a fun story about two star-crossed lovers who happen to be part of voodoo/root-practitioner families who hate each other. The Hatfields versus the McCoys, except they are Black. I laughed a lot, and some of the characters reminded me of some family members on both sides (minus the voodoo-practicing part). Both the hero and the heroine were virgins. This is
Exina
I've read only A Hard Day's Night Searcher by Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You can't go through life alone.
Trust me on this one. It's lonely as hell.”

Short and satisfying.

Celena, a Squire, who lives for the rules, is in constant worry for the ones under her care, and does everything to ensure their safety. It is especially true for Rafael, for whom she has been longing secretly for years.

Rafael Santiago, an ex-pirate, now Dark-Hunter is fascinated by Celena’s fierce beauty, and strict protectiveness. Af
Cathy
Generally I prefer anthologies with fewer authors and longer stories. I only got this so I could read the Dresden story by Jim Butcher. I read a few others by authors I like and only flipped through the rest.

Jim Butcher's story was very good. He does a good job of introducing all of the elements in the series as a natural part of the story, so it's a strong stand-alone story for people who haven't read any of the series. And if this was my introduction to the series, I'd be ordering the first b
Jilly
I only read the Harry Dresden short story about Billy and Georgia's wedding. It was funny, and hectic, of course!

Georgia is replaced by a Fae in glamour, and nobody, including Billy knows that. Harry figures it out and is trying to find the real Georgia before the wedding takes place.

"What happens to him if he marries a faerie?"

"Conservatives get real upset," I said absently. "But, I'm not sure, magically speaking..."

so i married an ax murderer photo: So I Married an Axe Murderer soimarriedanaxemurderer1993.jpg
Faerie, ax murderer - different methods, same results!
Lisa D. Smith (Lissa Smith Reads)
I have read books from most of the authors in this book and loved the books they wrote. I found this book to be entertaining. However, It was hard to get through. It seems that the stories were just thrown together to piece together a book.
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
Since Urban Fantasy is my favorite series, it's impossible for me not to be drawn into a themed anthology featuring some characters I already follow and some characters I haven't met yet. The stories are mainly cozy, quaint, and humorous, but there is a serious shadow in a few of them. The cover is adorable with the cake and decorations befitting the genre - and of course with this kind of mixture you can expect all sorts of supernatural beings (vamps, shapeshifters, demons, witches, the undead. ...more
Rebecca
I didn't love it. In fact it took me a month to read it. I'd flip through the stories, read one, skip the next...I eventually read all of them. I didn't like the L.A. Banks story at all, but then again, I hated "Minion." If I tried to write as "ethnic" as she does, my review would say, "Oh vey! The schmaltz in that story made me messhugana! So much mishigas for a little shtup!" Enough already. I liked the Charlaine Harris story, that was worth reading. Overall, phooey on this collection. I've re ...more
Leah
H.A.
This book was like a gift from the fiction gods for me, containing stories from almost every one of my current favorite paranormal and dark fantasy writers. All the stories were degrees of good or great, but the best surprise was from my old fandom friend Rachel Caine (Roxanne Conrad), a twisty-fun pirate romp called "Dead Man's Chest", an awesome homage to the Pirates of the Caribbean and how much we all want to jump Captain Jack Sparrow no matter what we say in public. *G*

Well worth the cost o
Faye
First read: Christmas 2006 (pre-goodreads!)
Re-read: April 2015

Charmed by the Moon by Lori Handeland - 3.5/5
Tacky by Charlaine Harris - 3/5
A Hard Day's Night-Searcher by Sherrilyn Kenyon - 4/5
"...Or Forever Hold Your Peace" by Susan Krinard - DNF

Overall rating - 3.5/5 (rounded up to 4/5)
Miss Kim
Oct 06, 2008 Miss Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dark Hunter lovers
Sherrilyn Kenyon "A Hard Day's Night-Searcher" - Dark-Hunter

This is a romantic short story about Raphel, the dark-hunter and his love for a squire. It's short and sweet, with a brief appearance by Acheron.
Steven Peterson
This edited work is a lot of fun. We see nine short stories spread over 300 pages. The focus? Weddings and the supernatural. As with all such volumes, some works are more compelling than others. But, for the most part, each story works pretty well.

The book opens with a reimagining of the McCoy versus Hatfield feud, with spells meant to keep one from socializing with the other. Here, we see a young McCoy in love with a young Hatfield--risking the damage of a terrible spell. The essay shows how th
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Marianna
Spellbound by L. A. Banks: Didn't like it or finish it. 1/5

Something Borrowed by Jim Butcher: It had its funny moments, but I didn't love it. 3/5

Dead Man's Chest by Rachel Caine: This story was my favorite out of the lot. I usually don't really like Caine's stories. I thought it was funny and interesting. 5/5

All Shook Up by P. N. Elrod: It was okay, but I didn't love it. All about Elvis~ 3/5

The Wedding of Wylda Serene by Ester M. Friesner: Didn't like it; didn't finish it. 1/5

Charmed by the Moon
Julianna
Aug 11, 2011 Julianna is currently reading it
Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)

Spellbound by L. A. Banks -

Something Borrowed by Jim Butcher -

Dead Man's Chest by Rachel Caine -

“All Shook Up” by P. N. Elrod -

The Wedding of Wyld
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Rhianna
Gives a whole new meaning to 'wedded bliss'...

When a simple, traditional wedding just won't do, you get together several popular paranormal fantasy authors and bam! You get a wedding worth remembering.

[SPELLBOUND:] by L.A. Banks is a lively tale of two families notorious in their feud and moreso for their voodoo. When the son of one and the daughter of the other fall in love they risk an all-out war of magics between their aunts and uncles just to get married. With her usual attention to cultur
Megan
“A Hard Day’s Night-Searcher” by Sherrilyn Kenyon is number 10.5A in her Dark-Hunter series (meaning that it comes in between “Dark Side of the Moon” and “The Dream Hunter,” and before the novella “Until Death do We Part,” which is 10.5B, and also before “Fear the Darkness,” which is 10.5C).

I only read Ms. Kenyon's short story (so far). I will probably go back and read Charlaine Harris' story, but it doesn't involve Sookie, so I will read that at a latter time. Ms. Kenyon's short story gets 4 s
Mandy
May 03, 2009 Mandy added it
Shelves: fantasy
I only read the Harry Dresden story so I feel it's a bit unfair to rate the whole book. As I got the book through interlibrary loan, I don't know if I'll have a chance to read the other stories or not. If I do, I may add more to the review.

As for the Dresden story, it totally explains that comment Murphy makes in Small Favor after giving Harry CPR. I like that Butcher references his short stories in the novel and vice versa, but it can make things really odd if you haven't read them in order.

It
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
*Didn't really care for the LA Banks story. Too much yelling and hexing.
*Like the Jim Butcher story. Harry and Murphy are a good team.
*I didn't think I'd like the Rachel Caine pirate story, but it turned out to be really good. And it had pirates!
*Gave up on the PN Elrod Elvis story. I just don't care.
*Gave up on the Esther M. Friesner story, too, after the narrator started to seem misogynistic.
*I liked the Handeland. It was short, but sweet.
*The Sookie-verse was awesome.
*Liked the Dark-hunter st
Mary
A collection of short stories mostly from established worlds.

Spellbound L.A. Banks - Hatfields and McCoys going to college, working magic, falling in love and getting married.

Something Borrowed Jim Butcher - Billy and Georgia's wedding. Also in Side Jobs

Dead Man's Chest Rachel Caine - Cecilia and Ian have been dating for 2 months, and Ian has planned a surprise wedding on an authentic looking pirate ship. But Ian thinks Cecelia has an inheritance that he wants. His plan is to have the pirates ki
Renae
I only read the short story "Tacky"by Charlaine Harris because it was listed as a Sookie Stackhouse series related story. I didn't like that this story was even considered in the same universe as the Sookie Stackhouse books. Vampires have always appeared ultra-cool, very non-human, and overly strong and fast. I felt like Dahlia was so human and had such base thoughts that I considered her to be more like an angsty teen than a vampire hundreds of years old. I also thought the small omens when the ...more
Riju Ganguly
No introductory notes. I would proceed straight to the stories.

1. “Spellbound” by L.A. Banks: As a result of my rather extensive reading of mushy “supernatural romance”-s in various anthologies, I have developed a somewhat thick skin towards horrible writing that specialises in describing horny teen-agers/co-eds. But this novella had slackened my jaw. It was UNADULTERATED CRAP! Can you imagine BEGINNING a book with such a piece!
2. “Something Borrowed” by Jim Butcher: After the murky depths of se
MK (Food actvist)
Mar 13, 2015 MK (Food actvist) marked it as to-read
I only read a couple stories, so I won't rate the entire book.

All Shook Up By P N Elrod Features a[n:] Elvis tribute artist as a wedding singer. I liked how the guests were affected by the presence of his striking resemblance and performance. No sex in this story. It was well written and the paranormal element was unique. 3.5 stars*

The Wedding of Wylde Serene I did not like. I did finish so I rate it 2 stars.

*More to be added as I read the other stories.
Angie Hickman
Most of these stories were fun. Most of the narrators were . . . okay; a couple of the narrators really interfered with my enjoyment of the story (when the inflection you chose for the beginning of the sentence doesn't work with the meaning when you get to the end of the sentence, you go back and re-record that sentence. Where were the producers and the QC folk?); a couple of the narrators were absolutely FANTASTIC.

The real problem is that nowhere can I find the details of what narrator belonge
Dancy
Solo leí la historia de Sherrilyn Kenyon. Una historia cortisima sobre Rafael, el Dark Hunter pirata. Jeff su escudero, se le ocurre la grandiosa idea de escribir una historia y publicarla a una revista. Dicha historia con otros nombres es practicamente la vida de Rafael, los Dark Hunters y Daimons.

A raiz de eso Ephani, otra DH que patrulla alli mismo, el informa a Rafael que su escudera ira hacia alla para llevarse a su escudero al Consejo de Escuderos por exponerlos.

Dicha escudera no es otra
Vanessa theJeepDiva
The only reason I bought this book was for the Dark-Hunter story. I did read the book in it's entirety. I will rate the stories individually.
Spellbound 1 star
Tacky 3 stars
A Hard Days Night Searcher 4 stars
Or Forever Hold your Peace 2 stars
Wayland Smith
I like anthologies, and keep an eye out for certain writers. This one worked out great for me, with so many I like all included. It's like a buffet of good stories.

I got it mostly for the Dresden Files story by Jim Butcher. Harry helps his friend Billy the Werewolf get married. And, as you'd expect, nothing goes smoothly thanks to a vengeful fairy.

PN Elrod, the editor, wrote some books I loved, the In the Blood series about a vampire in Prohibition era Chicago. Her story here is fun, too.

Charlai
Cherise
Dharia Scarab
Since a lot of anthologies are misses for me, I'm always pleasantly surprised by the good ones.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way
The Lost Challenges: 10.1 A Hard Day's Night Searcher 2 8 Jun 01, 2013 09:07AM
  • Love at First Bite (Dark-Hunter, #6.5; Wild Wulfs of London, #2.5; Companion, #3.5)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Night's Edge
  • Midnight Pleasures (Wild Wulfs of London, #0.5; Dream-Hunter, #0.5)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #8.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8.5; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #2; Highlander, #8)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia
More about P.N. Elrod...

There Be Pirates (2 books)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
Strange Brew My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon Dark and Stormy Knights Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9) Bloodlist (Vampire Files, #1)

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.” 260 likes
“If one cannot learn from the mistakes of others, one might as well become a Democrat.” 53 likes