Start by marking “Categories” as Want to Read:
Categories

Categories

Categories (Lat. Categoriae, Greek Κατηγορίαι Katēgoriai) is a text from Aristotle's Organon that enumerates all the possible kinds of thing which can be the subject or the predicate of a proposition.
The Categories places every object of human apprehension under one of ten categories known to medieval writers as the praedicamenta. They are intended to enumerate everything
ebook
Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published -350)

To ask other readers questions about Categories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Categories

i!
Bitches get wet when I distinguish primary substances from secondary and stipulate said-of-subject qualities from both, in-subject and contingent properties from the former.
Pinkyivan
Mar 09, 2016 Pinkyivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm slowly becoming to think in Aristotelian terms to the point my mom said she has no idea what I'm talking about on few occasions.
Vaishali
Mar 05, 2016 Vaishali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-cultures
Perfect for academics who make much ado about absolutely nothing :) After you get through the sentiments "Wow this guy had too much time on his hands" and "How does one pay the bills with no real skillset?", the treatise is quite an interesting assessment on the philosophy of word structure. What's astonishing is that Aristotle's comparative inquiry concerns ancient Greek... but is completely applicable to translated modern English, though much of our language is largely Germanic. Unsure if his ...more
Paolo Latini
Apr 01, 2013 Paolo Latini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-wanks
L'80% della filosofia contemporanea deriva dalle Categorie di Aristotele, che in queste cinquanta pagine ha creato la logica e tutti i suoi derivati.
Brian Schiebout
Categories is the first book in the classical series on logic by Aristotle my copy was translated by E. M. Edghill. As the title makes clear this book is all about classifying different information into categories. Any valid discussion requires that those having the discussion agree on what is meant by the terms that they are using. In this work Aristotle does just that so that the ideas of deduction and induction can be introduced and explored in other works of his. In this work he begins by ex ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aristotle here defines a lot of the basic concepts and terms. It's simple, straightforward and at the same time an apparent leap beyond what must have existed previously. The concepts include: predicate, simple, composite (parts of speech), relative terms, that a number has no contrary but a comparative term does, contraries, simultaneous, prior, movement (types - generation, destruction, increase, diminution, alteration, change of place), and rest as contrary of motion.
Jon Norimann
Mar 10, 2017 Jon Norimann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Aristotle in this book splits up into categories the different ways humans talk about what they experience. The categories as such dont make a whole lot of sense to me. Only due to people like Kant, Aquinas etc thinking very highly of the book does it make it into the 2-star category. The books short length, an hour is enough to read it all, is so surprising it deserves a special mention.
Giovanna

"Please let me do this fucking exam" mode ON.

I just can't anymore.
Nathan
Mar 20, 2017 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the foundational works of Ontology and Metaphysics. Remember, Aristotle basically set in motion all of Western thinking (and I do sincerely mean that in the broadest sense of the term) which still lasts to this today. We have become habituated to it. Read this text and it will be clear that, deep down, many of us are Aristotelians.
Omer Dassa
May 15, 2017 Omer Dassa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft-copy, learnin
I have a very weird love-hate relationship with this text, it has a lot of problem guys. it is worth it? I don't know. this is mostly intresting from history of ideas point of view. so if you seriously intrested in logic or ontology look for more modern treatises
Ksenia ^_^
It seems too old-fashioned and naive. But it's still great! As I said it could be a nice book for studying logic.
Diego Eis
Livro fácil de ler, mas é muito truncado. Contudo, é possível aprender muito sobre vocabulários, ontologias, categorização do ser. Se você se interessa por organização da informação, esse livro também é indicado.

Um vocabulário (ou uma ontologia) é um grupo de classificação de conceitos e relações. Classificar separar coisas em classes e grupos, usando uma forma de categorização. Os seres humanos são bons em categorizar coisas e isso vem desde e Grécia antiga, com filósofos como Aristóteles e seu
Eslam Algebra
Sep 22, 2016 Eslam Algebra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing important in the Aristotelian categories more than the category of substance. The rest of categories revolve around it. Aristotle started with 'things' and ended with their names and predicables [things that can be said about other things or things that can be present in other things]. My goal was to reverse the process [Starting from ideas ending with objectifying them] but I couldn't for now, maybe I would try it later when I finish the rest of his works on logic.
Although the
Jordan
Jan 04, 2017 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Challenging book. I read the free translation on The Internet Classics Archive by Daniel C. Stevenson, Web Atomics. Covers the basics of how the western world thought about the world for a thousand years. I got the idea for reading this from Fuck Theory's Syallbus. I'm going to read Porphyry's Isagoge (Introduction to the Categories of Aristotle) next, from here: http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/por...
Bryan
Mar 06, 2012 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientists
The book is Aristotle's attempt to break down the nature of things, words, etc. into categories, such as 'nouns,' or 'plants,' etc.

I had this short book on audio and, as I was already listening to it and too busy to change it, I went ahead and finished it. Otherwise, it would have been too uninteresting for me. It's more of an academic, scholarly encyclopedia etc. than anything else.
Marts  (Thinker)
Feb 01, 2011 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
The first of Aristotle's logical works, arranged into six books refered to as the Organon... This starts with the basics, simple analysis of things that are... The ten categories under which all objects can be placed encompass, substance, quantity, quality, relation, place, time, pposition, state, action, and affection or passion...
Steve
Jan 25, 2011 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Aristotle’s treatise analyzing the difference between classes and objects, placing every object we can perceive or understand into one of ten categories (Substance, Quantity, Quality, Relation, Place, Time, Position, State, Action and Affection), some of which are explained more in depth than others. A basis for his philosophy and how he looked at the world around him
Cameron
Jul 26, 2013 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bedrock of Aristotle's thought and the first great work of classic logic. Employing the syllogistic method, he organizes all of being into ten categories. This short early work was hugely influential and for good reason: it lays the foundation for our modern logic and represents a turn from the Platonic forms to individual beings as ontologically primary.
Jakub
May 14, 2016 Jakub rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pseudodiscerning. A lot of intellectual slippings.
Still better than Plato though.
Michaël
Aristotle's Categories provides a sharp rebuttal to Plato's theory of forms. Densely packed and written in a disinterested manner, it reads like a college textbook.
Yi Chen Chong
I was a little confused, though where I could understand, I was interested by his divisions and categories. The differences between qualities, dispositions, and affections was truly astounding.
Alexander Temerev
May 02, 2012 Alexander Temerev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books that really deserves a universal "must read" acclaim. It's hard to think of anything without understanding it implicitly, but understanding it explicitly is so much better.
John Yelverton
It's a pretty fascinating read. I utterly disagree with the author's conclusions, but it's quite obvious that many people adhere to these categories without even realizing it.
Rachel
Aug 05, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was too confusing!
J
Read version from Complete Works
Tank Green
May 27, 2010 Tank Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theory, philosophy
the master. i need to read so much more of him me thinks.
Joshua
Oct 24, 2012 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I'm fascinated by this genius and the time he lived.
Luke Echo
So this is where the whole distinction between substance and accident begins.
Sara
Oct 12, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Good starting point for the rest of it.
Steven Untalan
May 28, 2012 Steven Untalan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I definitely reread it! lol
Why is 'Good Read' So Narrow in it Understanding of Reading ? 1 1 Nov 06, 2016 08:20PM
  • Cratylus
  • On History
  • Ancient Philosophy
  • Martin's Hundred
  • Prehistory: The Making Of The Human Mind
  • Works and Days (Academic Monograph Reprint)
(Greece: Αριστοτέλης)
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)
(Bulgarian: Аристотел)
(Russian: Аристотель)
(Alternate European spelling: Aristoteles)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.E.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance, and even today contin
More about Aristotle...