Start by marking “Confessions of a Backup Dancer” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Backup Dancer

Confessions of a Backup Dancer

glamour. access. scandal.

Ever wonder what your favorite pop divas are like AFTER the cameras stop rolling? What do they do behind closed doors? What are their parties like? What do they think about? What do they fight about? What do they really want? And who do they REALLY hook up with?

Kelly Kimball spent a summer as a backup dancer for Darcy Barnes, the biggest pop star i
Published May 11th 2010 by Simon Pulse (first published May 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Backup Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Backup Dancer

Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)

I was just going through all the books in my useless Library, a place where you just cant get any good books, when I see THIS. The cover was fairly okay and the condition of the book was good compared to all the other books available, so I picked it up and issued it out of plain curiosity.

I now hate my library eons more.

Confessions of a Backup Dancer might have been an acceptable book had it not been edited by a pre-schooler, written by a first grader and named by a prom queen. And if it had a
Jennifer Currey
As a librarian, this is a good one to recommend to a teenage girl who says she doesn't have time to read but knows absolutely everything about pop stars. This gives you the inside look with all the drama.
Simone Elizabeth
at first I was enjoying this. felt like a 90s teenager again. it was a very quick read diary entry style book. only took me a day to finish. got half way through and just got bored.
Marcus Gray
Feb 08, 2017 Marcus Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally one of my favorite books ever.
Tiffany L
Mar 12, 2010 Tiffany L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confessions of a Backup Dancer is about a girl named Kelly Kimball and she is 17. She works at a dance studio. Theres a girl named Darcy and Kelly wants to meet her and when she does she's very excited. When she meets her they start practicing their dancing. As time goes on they go on a dance tour. They both perform their own dances. Once everyone sees their performances everyone is happy that they did it together. After the first performance they practice for more dances because they're so good ...more
Jayla
Jun 02, 2008 Jayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright,so like many Teen novels there's what I like to call TAF(The Teen Angst Factor) and Confessions of a Backup Dancer has plenty of it. Yes it has some golden nuggets like finding yourself and all that jazz but the book is not based in reality so it's hard to take it seriously especially with the main character's names Kelly Kimball and Darcy Barnes, seriously, I was ready to choke Anonymous, What's with those names.Now that I've spewed my bookly venom let's get to the good part because wit ...more
Susan
Feb 20, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, ya
All I've been doing these days is reading history books, so that I can become better at trivia. Trivia trivia trivia. I live and breathe for trivia all day and night, you can't even imagine. Then, Saturday, I bonked, hit the wall, no more presidential history, no more anatomy, no more art facts. I couldn't do it! I couldn't cram any more bits and bobs into my dumb little head.

And so I turned to this book that I had picked up at a used book store or a garage sale or something along the way. I rea
Cat
Jul 25, 2008 Cat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: responsible peoples.
The storyline of 'Confessions of a Backup Dancer' was OK.

It was pretty flat, in my opinion. Yes, of course there was /drama/, but it's the drama you see everyday from dumb celeberties and teenagers everywhere.

I kind of liked the digital-diary format; usually I'm not one for those.

And the language was pretty.. /colorful/ for being a book for teenagers. Now, I'm not saying teenagers don't cuss, but using it in a book shows them that it's OK to do, which it isn't. Teenagers are influential (I shoul
Kayla
Jan 12, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Confessions of a Backup Dancer was one of the first YA books I read when I was around 13 years old. At the time I thought it was one of the coolest books out there but now a revisit back to it shows it's not as awesome as I thought it was. Looking at it now, the fact that the book is set up online diary form means the grammar is well bad. The plot is a little flat and predictable, of course this is my opinion now at 21.

Confessions of a Backup Dancer is much more geared towards the younger end o
Katelynn
The book "Confessions of a Backup Dancer" by Tucker Shaw is what i think quite a good book. The book is 265 pages. The book is about a girl who really knows her pop stars(The book is bascially her dairy). She writes in it almost every day, sorry I almost her name is Kelly. Kelly biggest dream is to become a dancer. Kelly is a totaly awesome dancer and she gets hired to work for the biggest pop star ever DARCY BARNES(I really don't know who that is). Kelly Kimball spent her summer as her backup d ...more
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
Jun 13, 2011 Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Girls, Pre-Teens, 13-14 year olds
Honestly this book is not that bad, once you realize what audience it is geared towards. I read this book when i was like 13. and for a 13 year old THIS IS GREAT. its written in a contemporary manner and makes you feel like you are a little older than you should be while at the same time not embarrassing you to the point of scrounging for a book cover. Its a fun and easy summer read, any young pre-teens and 13-14 year old girls will usually appreciate it. I'm talking girls who are PRE-TWILIGHT, ...more
Emily
Aug 11, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, but it was written in the form of a blog/ computer diary thing, so nothing was captitalized, there was no real paragraph separation, and everything was just like this:

so he was like hey wanna get something to eat and i was like okay, i'm really hungry so we went and ate Mcdonalds and i got a Big mac and it was super yummo.

If you ask me, it's just plain lazy to write a whole book that way. It takes 5 extra seconds to put things with the proper grammar/capitalization. It was
s o n n a
Sep 05, 2010 s o n n a rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DO NOT READ THIS!!! Waste of my time, personally, because

a) The grammar. I know this is an online diary, but HELLO, was or was there not an editor?!
b) Boring storyline. I'll tell you the truth, I almost didn't even finish this book. I would have put it as currently-reading, but it's not worth the effort.
c) I usually think the beginning is never enough to pull you in, except for my 5-star books, but I NEVER gained interest. The only reason I kept reading was because I never leave a book unfinishe
Breanna Coleman
Oct 03, 2008 Breanna Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage girls.
Recommended to Breanna Coleman by: library.
Cofessions of a backup dancer is about a dancer named Kelly Kimball who audition for this dance thing, but didn't make it because she wasn't "real" which wasn't even true because she was. A person who heard about her at the auditions wanted her to dance for a famous pop singer, Darcy Barnes, who she actually became best friends with. She got fired from Darcy's rude mom, Darla and joined this other famous popstars on Pashmina's tour, but came back to Darcy tour.
Janelle
Aug 03, 2009 Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The only reason I gave it four out of five stars is because of the writing. I know that it was written in diary form, but the lack of capitals and such was kind of annoying at times. Even though this book is so far off from being relatable, I still enjoyed it. I loved the character Darcy, and I thought that the ending was good - except for the like last page with Kelly's mother. Other than that, great!
Stephanie A.
Jan 08, 2013 Stephanie A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary-ya
You've read Pop Princess, now go one step further and experience life in her shadow.

OK, it's not a literal companion book, but it serves a similar purpose: peeling back a curtain on the entertainment industry and exploring a world that the average person probably doesn't know very much about it. That's what keeps it a cut above your average junk food novel ,of which this otherwise has all the trappings.
Katie M
Aug 13, 2008 Katie M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not big on reading but I couldn't put this book down. I would say that it was more for the girls but it's a really good story. It focuses on a girl whose about 17 who goes on tour with a pop diva. The language is like what you would hear in the hallways at school, cursing and all. The story is a lot of fun to follow, I would definitely suggest it.
Annamarie
Jul 25, 2011 Annamarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
really like the story, you know the saying that the grass is always greener on the other side. That is how fame it, most people want to be famous for reasons like they get free stuff, everyone knows their name, and they get lots of money. Then when you finally become famous you would rather have everything go back to the way it was before.
Anh Nguyen
Oct 14, 2010 Anh Nguyen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is very addicting. I just started reading and i feel like keep on reading and never stop. This book is about a girl who is very good at dancing. She went to many places to do auditions but the judges thinks that she's a clone of another dancer, so they didn't let her in. Her friend Tito thinks she's a "REAL" one. Which means every movements she dance is flawless.
The King
Feb 12, 2013 The King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my guiltiest pleasure reads of all time. The book is obviously about Britney Spears, as there are pretty huge references to many of her song titles and her relationship with press (circa 1999-2000). There was rumors in the Britney fan world that the idea of the book was actually given to Tucker by a Britney dancer who saw everything take place.
Courtney
Mar 31, 2008 Courtney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An ok book. I wish we would've finally learned the real name of the main character and author. It's an interesting, but not that interesting, look at the inside life of a pop-princesses backup dancer. I doubt it's K-fed. :D
Kassandra
I completed this book and in all honesty I can't remember much about this book! It is pretty forgettable there was nothing interesting about the characters and I do not know how I even finished this book!
Heather
Jul 29, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
It was really good. It is about a who becomes a backup dancer, and she becomes fake best freinds with a rock star. Then she gets dropped and she signs on with a different artist. It was written well, but was unrealistic at times.
Mary Bronson
Aug 24, 2015 Mary Bronson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I remember reading this book in high school and I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the plot and characters of the story. Once I got started I could not put the book down. I hope to re read it sometime in the near future.
Beck
Jul 18, 2010 Beck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it wasn't a bad book but it wasnt that good either.
there were some interesting charactersand some really funny parts but therewasn't much of a plot. it was exactly what i imagine a backup dancer diary would be like.
Sydnie Culver
It was nice. Kind of confusing but it I liked it.
Naomi Gluck
Thanks Rose for recommending this book! :)
Rena
Sep 02, 2014 Rena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You made me do this! Into the trashcan you go!

I could only get to page 5.

"It's like capitalize, please!"

Don't ever read this worse then any fanfiction ever written!
Tynecea Thomas
Jan 02, 2014 Tynecea Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has a lot to offer a girl with a dig dream to dance. It also has the theme of never loose hope.
Tonya Lueken
A bit too "young" for me...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Lazarus
  • More Natural Cures Revealed
  • A Man Like Mac
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • The Cowboy (Ladies and Legends, #3)
  • Pop Princess
  • The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Snake Hips: Belly Dancing and How I Found True Love
  • Graffiti Girl
  • After Hours (The Party Room, #3)
  • Stories for a Teen's Heart: Over One Hundred Stories to Encourage a Teen's Soul
  • Six Weeks to Toxic
  • Free Agent
  • The Cheetah Girls: Supa-Dupa Sparkle, Books #5-8
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...