Start by marking “The Cat Who Blew the Whistle” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Blew the Whistle

The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,908 ratings  ·  107 reviews
Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese sleuths, Koko and Yum Yum, investigate the disappearance of a wealthy railroad buff--and alleged multimillion-dollar embezzler--a case that becomes complicated by red herrings, a tragic train wreck, and murder at a railroad tavern.
Published March 1st 1996 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Blew the Whistle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Blew the Whistle

Pattyrflg
We read some of The Cat Who... books for our book group. Each member chose a different book and then gave a quick synopsis without giving away the mysterious killer. Here is my synopsis in poem form. I know I'm not a poet, but thought I'd do something different.

Jim Qwilleran and two Siamese cats live in an octagonal barn
Koko the cat is smarter than anything you or I could learn

Floyd Trevelyan owns a credit union but launches his party train instead
Then disappears and could he be dead

A cheapskate
Jay
I picked up "The Cat Who Blew the Whistle" on tape to listen to on a long drive. What a mistake! Without exaggeration, this was one of the worst things I've ever read (or listened to). It made an already long car trip interminable. I wish I could give this book zero-stars because a one-star "did not like it" rating just doesn't do this book justice.

So why was it so bad?

First off, it was unbelevablly boring. The first two or three chapters are basically pointless. Charavters were introduced, the
Sue
Qwill and the cats are back in their apple barn house in Pickax. Qwill and Polly attend a fundraising event which is a ride on a renovated train with a steam locomotive. It is a wonderful event. The day after the event, the man behind the event, Floyd Trevelyan, has disappeared with thousands of dollars from investors; his secretary is also missing. The investigation points its fingers at Floyd. Ko-ko, on the other hand, tries to make Qwill realize that their focus should be elsewhere.
Didn't e
Jack
¡Ay, qué pesado! Great characters, plot, story line, writing, ... potentially a very interesting book, but the cats? I LOVE cats, but they are a distraction throughout this potentially great read. Then again, this whole series of books has the cats as the central theme, so I clearly am unclear on the concept. Someone please explain this to me - thanks!
Raymond
I have had siamese cats and can relate to their characteristics detailed in this book, but I did not really enjoy the story (did not find that the cause of the power outage was ever explained, etc.)! Seems that there were many dangling story threads that were not unraveled! This series is something my wife seems to enjoy?
Jessiqa
SPOILERS!!

I haven't read any Cat Who… mysteries in about a decade. I used to really enjoy these cozy mysteries with the uncanny Siamese and the mustachioed newspaper columnist. Qwilleran lives in Moose County (about 500 miles north of everywhere) with his two cats, the inheritor of an obscene amount of money he doesn't really want.

In this book, a train enthusiast has bought an old steam engine and refitted it for parties and receptions, etc. It's first journey is for charity and later that day
Carol Waller
Fluffy mind candy. A read-in-one-sitting book. Mental cotton candy.

I read several of these years (decades?) ago. Haven't kept up. Didn't need to. Same plot for many, many years. Sorry if you consider this a spoiler.

Qwill bristles. Yum Yum howls. Koko is mysterious. Something dastardly happens. Qwill equivocates. Yum Yum yowls. Koko is mischievous. Dum, dum, DUM - someone is dead/missing. Every character ever introduced is consulted, visited, remembered, dissed or bought a beer/meal. Qwill cog
Caroline
These are charming and fun mysteries. I went through a binge of everything in the series when I was younger, but haven't touched them since. I remember really enjoying them, though, and both liking the main character and the twists to the stories.
Lisa Kucharski
Qwilleran does some interesting investigating via an old character who helped solve another crime. He has subtly lured her up to Pickaxe and has helped her find a place and a job of sorts.

In this a man goes missing after he is wanted for cooking the books at his credit union. Qwill suspects more is going on and after making various inquiries, feels his suspicions are on the right track- gathering more info via the woman from Florida he finally discovers enough to put all the pieces together.

Aga
Elizabeth Martel
Mystery isn't my usual genre...but I have two siamese cats, so I couldn't resist....

...but I didn't like the characters ...didn't like the cats....didn't like the plot....loved the main character's house
Donald Butchko
It's hardly worth commenting on individual titles in this series--if you are a fan you will find each book to have the same comforting qualities, familiar characters, and decent mystery plotting. The contributions of reporter James Qwillerin's feline friends were somewhat less integral than they are in other books, with the bulk of the assistance coming from a new human accomplice. The narrative found a way to include most of my favorite denizen's of Pickax as well as the drama club. I'm surpris ...more
Elissa Williams
Joyce
Listened to this on my long commutes to and from work. Very cozy, indeed!

Publishers Weekly ReviewBest of series, this 17th The Cat Who caper slyly creeps up on the reader. The newest delight in Moose County, ``400 miles north of everywhere,'' is a railroad buff's refurbished locomotive, which is making its debut run. Floyd Trevelyan, the train owner, disappears just as the state closes down the credit union associated with his business. While others believe the man has decamped with investors'
Jim Qwilleran’s life is humdrumming along. His fiancé-of-sorts, Polly, is building a new house not far from the barn where he lives (it’s a refinished barn with special balconies for Koko and Yum Yum, his two Siamese cats, to play on), and he is helping to oversee the work.

As a journalist, he’s always on the lookout for a new story. So, when he gets wind that millionaire Floyd Trevelyan has restored a historic steam locomotive and is hosting a fundraising excursion for paying passengers, Qwill g
Dorothy
Koko and Yum Yum, the mystery-solving Siamese (well, Koko is anyway) are featured in this 18th in The Cat Who... series. There have been many other entries in the series since then and it has many devoted fans. I don't really count myself among them, although I have read a few of the books over the years. This book, however, was the August selection of my local Mystery Book Club and so I applied myself to reading it.

It was a quick read, very light in tone, nothing to tax the brain. Jim Qwilleran
chrisa
So I kind of enjoyed The Cat Who Blew the Whistle, the 17th book in The Cat Who series, but I had several problems with the book starting with the fact that I was a little surprised at how much of the action took place off screen, so to speak. For the most part Qwill was content to read the paper to find out about the events taking place or to listen to the radio or any gossip he came across as well as listening to his personal spy Celia rather than doing any genuine sleuthing of his own. I espe ...more
Monica
The plot of this 17th Braun book centers around a historic steam locomotive, and although I really have no interest in anything railroad related, at this point in this series it's not always the plot that is the catch. It's the characters...Qwill, Koko and Yum Yum...and all the rest of the characters who continue to revolve in and out of Braun's books. I love this cozy mystery series, always a great escape.
Kirsti
Jan 04, 2012 Kirsti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
Koko's on the case again, obsessed with Pens and Lions. He yows when he hears the name 'Hermia', but for what reason? It's up to Qwill to put together the clues and find out what causes Koko to stare out the window at Polly's developing house, and why he doesn't like her new builder. Bring it all together with talk of trains and times long gone, and you've got yourself a mystery!

This is another of my favorites, because of Celia Robinson. She is one of my favorite characters, if only for her laug
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: An old-fashioned steam train ride for charity goes bad when it’s discovered that the organizer not only absconded with the funds but also with everything that had been in his bank, along with his gorgeous secretary. This 17th in the series is a comfortable cosy, and rather entertaining.

Quite convoluted but well-managed plot (albeit far too much woowoo and coincidence for my taste), with lots of “weird local residents” and social stratification 400 Miles from Nowhere. Polly plays a l
Lynne Tull
What can I say differently after reading 16 other books in this series? Qwill, Koko and Celia Robinson are investigating the disappearance of the the owner of a credit union and Engine No. 9. He disappeared as has one of his employees when the auditors closed the credit union to investigate misappropriation of funds. Polly is completely distracted while she is building a house. It is almost predictable. Ms. Braun again kills off a few sympathetic characters. It is disconcerting and I am wonderin ...more
Samantha
Lorraine
Pat
Very good.
Banker who collected trains is missing.
Polly is building a house, she has heart attack.
Quill's friend from Florida moves up and helps him investigate.
Good one.
Maureen
This was a very enjoyable read and I've come to love the detective work of Jim Qwilleran and his two cats Koko and Yum Yum. I'm off to the library now to find another one.
Marti
Once again Koko saves the day. While this series is quite formulaic, it's all in good fun and a great "wind down" book to counter a stressful week.
Angel Santangelo
It was definitely not the best mystery I've ever read but I still enjoyed it and will read more of these books
Beverly Steinhardt
An amusing tale of a cat solving mysteries and catching crooks.
Carolyn
Braun's books are always the lightest of light guilty pleasures and this one is no exception. Peopled with interesting characters: a credit union executive obsessed with model trains, two women of mystery, Qwilleran's long-time lady friend Polly, and others from the town of Pickaxe that have appeared in previous mysteries. His friend Celia moves to Pickaxe from down below and acts as his spy. Of course, Koko had it all figured out long before any of the human actors. Light, funny, and sweet. An ...more
Burke Hodgson
A visit with the nosey Mr. Q and his insouciant but clairvoyant kitties is always a treat. This one is a goodie !
Heather
The Mystery, Crim...: Murder mysteries in Fantasy genre? 3 29 Jun 05, 2014 09:13AM
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Blew The Whistle #18 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 10:06PM
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey #2)
  • Cat in a Diamond Dazzle (Midnight Louie, #5)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)