Start by marking “Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter companion novel)” as Want to Read:
Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter companion novel)

Fantasy Lover (The Entire Dark-Hunterverse #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  59,410 ratings  ·  2,529 reviews
Dear Reader,

Being trapped in a bedroom with a woman is a grand thing. Being trapped in hundreds of bedrooms over two thousand years isn't. And being cursed into a book as a love-slave for eternity can ruin even a Spartan warrior's day.

As a love-slave, I know everything about women. How to touch them, how to savor them, and most of all, how to pleasure them. But when I w
Mass Market Paperback, First, 337 pages
Published February 18th 2002 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fantasy Lover, please sign up.

Megan Hansen She writes them through 4 different series, here is the recommended order to read them all in. http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/wp-con...…moreShe writes them through 4 different series, here is the recommended order to read them all in. http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/wp-con...(less)
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerDark Lover by J.R. WardVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie Meyer
Best Paranormal & Fantasy Romances
11th out of 3,460 books — 7,097 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDark Lover by J.R. WardMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
23rd out of 2,412 books — 5,222 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
I couldn't wait to finish this book... but for all the wrong reasons. Even a 2 star rating seems generous.

Back in 2002, when this book first came out, it was probably fresh and exciting. But from then on a lot has evolved in UF/PNR-land and I think I've been 'spoiled' with good quality writing.

The writing was extremely simplistic, repetitive and annoying. The POV changing wasn't done well at all. The story was (I know: even for a PNR about a 2000 year old Spartan demi God) totally unrealistic.
Beth F.
Nov 07, 2008 Beth F. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who doesn't feel the need to take romance novels seriously
With a title like “Fantasy Lover” I was not expecting this book to be so riotously funny! Gorgeous man, yes. Sexual tension, for sure. Hot sex, hell yeah. But comedy? Who knew?!? HAHA! I’m on the verge of busting out into one of those snorting, wheezing laughs that makes your cheeks hurt just remembering the hilarious heinosity (I realize that isn’t a real word) that filled the pages of this book.

Him
Julian of Macedon is an ancient warrior of the Macedonian variety (hence the name “Julian of Mace
Julianna
Fantasy Lover is the first full-length novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon that I have read, and I absolutely loved it. It was packed with thoroughly romantic moments and beautiful sensuality that was sheer perfection for me, and that was even without the hero and heroine actually having sex until the very end of the book. I consider myself to be a very girly girl, and I find that Ms. Kenyon's writing style has a very feminine quality that is very appealing to me. I like the balance that she finds between ...more

This was an okay paranormal romance, but it dragged a bit.

Grace was a woman who didn’t have much experience with men, but knew that she didn’t need one, no matter what her best friend told her. I liked that she didn’t immediately drag Julian to bed when he showed up, even though she was attracted to him.

The storyline in this centred on Julian trying to break his curse, and Julian and Grace slowly falling in love. That being said, although they spent time together, it still seemed like one moment
Pam
3.75 wishful stars
Blessed by Aphrodite’s divine touch, he grew into such a man that no woman could deny him her body. For when it came to the Art of Love, he knew no equal— his stamina far beyond that of any mere mortal man. His desires hot and wild, he could never be tamed. Or denied.

Fantasy Lover is the first book in the Dark Hunter series, a delicious paranormal take on the genie in the lamp, except instead of rubbing the lamp you make a birthday wish, substitute a Greek love-slave for th
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Well, this is the first book from the Dark Hunter series, and I have to say there wasn't any dark-hunting in this one XD As is with all the first books, we get to see the introduction in this whole new world the author created (Greek gods! I mean - YUMMY!) I was always fascinated with mithology, and this one is right up my alley :)

Julian is a half-god, cursed in a book to be a love-slave through eternity. He is immortal, and has been cursed for two thousand years (!!!). One night, Grace and her
Vilda
Re-read: March 13-15, 2013
First read: February 10-11, 2011

Oh boy, I think I might have loved this one even more the second time! I had to raise it from a 4 to 5, which says something as a re-read. Gosh, I'd forgotten how much I love these two. I absolutely adore this series and can't recommend it enough! Lovelovelove.

It definitely was exactly what I needed after struggling some with my past reads this month! I really doubt it'll be the last time I re-read this or any other book of the series. I
Jen
The only way this book is even remotely tolerable is to read it aloud with a friend so that you can truly appreciate the ridiculousness of it. It is repetitive, stupid, and horribly written. I can't believe this woman is being published, and is a best-selling author on the NYTimes list. It's kind of scary. This books also takes the prize for being the worst book I've ever read in my life, and that includes that ones I read during my 8th grade romance novel phase.
Buggy
Opening Line: "Honey, you need to get laid."

This was my first Sherrilyn Kenyon book and honestly it was a struggle to get through. All I could think was what am I missing? I mean the Dark Hunter series is SO popular there must be something wrong with me because this, well this was a grind.

Fantasy Lover has its moments, the premise is unique and intriguing; an ex Spartan general cursed to spend eternity as a love slave trapped inside a book. He’s released every so often to be the sexual playthin
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
What a great book. Definitely an A+. Sherrilyn just has a gift for making characters that you shed tears for and fall in love with. Julian really touched my heart and I felt for him in his pain. SK also has a great way with telling ancient history so that you're riveted. I admit I'm a history buff anyway, but she just brings it to light in a vivid and interesting way. And she seems fairly accurate in a way that Xena and Hercules aren't always. Her books make me want to go out and buy a book on a ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I love, love, love this story. Can I have a Julian :)
Valerie
Fantasy Lover is a book rooted solidly in ancient Greek history. I quote:

Blessed by Aphrodite's divine touch, he [Julian of Macedon:] grew into such a man that no woman could deny him her body. For when it came to the Art of Love, he knew no equal -- his stamina far beyond that of any mere mortal man. His desires hot and wild, he could never be tamed.

Who knew mythology could be so hot interesting? I especially appreciated the capitalization used for emphasis in "the Art of Love". That's when I k
Dina
This was my first book by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I've read (and liked) some of the books she wrote under the name Kinley MacGregor, but I didn't know if I could use them as a reference because authors who change their pen names usually do it to establish different writing styles. Anyway, this couldn't be "bad" because, WTH, it's still the same person writing the books, right?

Well... I liked this book but didn't love it. I had some laughs - which weren't always from laughing with the story, but from l
Marulett
OH MY GOSHH!!!! Thanks to Aly, Ive found a new series to obsess about :)

I was hooked to this story right from the start, I thought the story was going to be SUPER cheesy with all the guy steps out of a book and ends up falling for the girl...but NO, its not cheesy AT ALL.

Grace is one of my fave heroines from this point on...and Julian, oh my...he is to die for!!!!

Im in love with this series, and I hope this level of epicness goes on and on!!

Carmen
I read this because after reading The Pleasure Slave by Gena Showalter, everyone told me that her book was a pale imitation of this one.

Not so.

While I found Showalter's novel to be silly, funny, and sweet, this one seemed dark, sad, and clichéd. (All romance novels are clichéd...but this one was worse than normal, IMO).

I expect one or two problems in the novels - personal problems that the characters have - that will be solved by love and good sex. However, instead of presenting me with a manage
Arlene
One moment while I confirm my blush in the mirror…. Yup… I’m still crimson after reading this book. Holy Greek GAWDS this book was steamy, but definitely a helluva lot of fun to read. :D I loved the two main characters Julian and Grace. Their dialog, their interactions with each other, their moments… wow!! All very squee-worthy and exciting.

Fantasy Lover is definitely not my normal read, but every now and then, I enjoy putting some spice into the mix and this book definitely delivered. It’s fast
Melissa ***BITCH, I'M READING!***
really enjoyed this one, excited to start the dark hunter series!
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
So, I'm reading this with my book gals as a buddy read, as well as the entire series. I like this story, but didn't love it. It kinda reminded me of a typical PNR with your tortured hero ending up with your beautiful heroine with low confidence that just needs that nudge to bloom. I think it's worth a read for anyone undecided on this series.

I'll give it a 3.5.
Jessica Hatfield
WOW I love love love it!!!! Great book I would give it more than 5 stars I cant wait to read the rest of the series
Tilly Slaton

Fantasy Lover is the story of Julian and Grace Alexander. Julian was cursed to spend an existence imprisoned in a book. His only brief escape, when a woman would summon him, binding him to her for one month as her love slave. Unfortunately for him, the curse has far too many downsides than perks.

Before being cursed, Julian lived a harsh life in the world of Sparta. Torture, starvation, beatings, betrayals and having his family taken from him in the most horrendous of ways, he just isn’t a happy
Crystal
Well book girls around the world I can honestly say I have found my fictional husband. Yes Julian is hot and he oozes sex but he won the position by buying Grace books. Yes you heard me he bought her books, and not just any books but he replaced her whole collection when they were destroyed by a maniac. *swoons while waving nerd flag* This awesome scene makes the book 5 stars for me but let me tell you about the rest. Julian of Macedon is trapped into a book by his brother Priapus. The whys of t ...more
JenBee
Grace Alexander is a sex therapist who has heard everything and nothing can shock her anymore. Yet she has not had a relationship herself for years since she was hurt by her first love in college. Grace is a likeable character who seemed to me to come across as very genuine and down to earth, happy enough on her own for now at least. Her best friend, Selena, however has other ideas about Grace’s love life.

Selena has an unusual present for Grace’s birthday, an ancient book she claims holds sex sl
Holly
5++ Stars
*All Time Favorite Book List*

Not officially considered a DH book, this was the one that not only got me hooked on Sherri's writing, but also the pararomance genre itself.

Sherrilyn has a knack for taking a seemingly ridiculous concept (Basic storyline of Fantasy Lover: an ancient Greek god is cursed into a book and he ends up being the willing sex slave of any woman who conjures him out of it, for the period of one month), and some how makes the characters and situations believable and c
Mojca
Julian of Macedon’s life sucks. He’s spent centuries trapped in a book because of the jealousy of the god of fertility that envied Julian’s prowess with women. Hmm.
The only way the ancient general can get out of his book is if a woman summons him to fulfill her every sensual desire… for a month.
Though that might sound swell – in a very guy frame of mind –, but after two thousand years even a weathered Spartan can grow weary for such an existence.

Enter Grace Alexander, a sex therapist with a comp
Veronica Del Rosa
I enjoyed this book, although second read through, it doesn't stay as elevated in my mind as the first reading. Julian captured my heart and it ached for the horrible things he survived. Of course, Sherrilyn Kenyon is a master at tortured heroes. In light of what her other heroes went through, I'd forgotten that Julian's past all sucked.

Overall, I still liked this book and would gladly read it again. It's a lighter read than the following books in this series.
Edna
I know PNR gives free range to have worlds and characters that are unrealistic but this book truly went over my head.The beginning was a bit ridiculous and I almost put the book down. A sex slave trapped in a book for two thousand years and the only way to break the curse is to have an all night sex marathon? Seriously? Though, to be fair, I was asking for it since it's clear in the description what this novel would be about. The plot was quite predictable the entire way through. I thought the G ...more
Miss Kim
Aug 26, 2008 Miss Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Kim by: The Purvettes
I found Fantasy Lover to be a light and fun read. Son of Aphrodite, Julian of Macedon angered the Gods and was cursed 2000 years ago to be a ‘love slave’. He is kept inside a book until a woman wishes to call for him. When she says his name three times, he will appear and be at her mercy for whatever erotic fantasies she wishes for 30 days. Selena thinks her friend Grace needs help in the sex department, so she gets the book for her friend. After maybe a few too many drinks one night, they call ...more
Leigh
Woo-hoo! I finally began the Dark Hunter's, and while I have been told that Fantasy Lover is really different from the rest of the Dark Hunter books, it totally lived up to all the hype for me!

I LOVED this book!! I loved Julian, I loved Grace, and I thought they were a fabulous couple!! This was a very sexy, fun read, and I really enjoyed every minute of it. I liked the concept of gods and goddesses, and I look so forward to reading the rest of the series!
Tessa Teevan
2nd read through: January 6, 2015

A little cheesier than I remember, but man, I love that Julian of Macedon!!!!
What's The Name o...: Help I can't remember the name of this book! [s] 6 91 Dec 11, 2014 03:19PM
Recommendations? 9 98 Apr 02, 2014 08:46AM
Kenyons Minions: Fantasy Lover BOTM 120 119 Dec 11, 2013 11:43PM
Sherrilyn Kenyon books 23 130 Aug 06, 2013 10:14PM
Sherrilyn Kenyon Books on sale for $1.99 on Amazon 2 33 Aug 06, 2013 10:07PM
The Lost Challenges: Book 1 Fantasy Lover (Jan 1st to 15th) 18 51 Apr 10, 2013 10:54AM
  • Midnight Pleasures (Wild Wulfs of London, #0.5; Dream-Hunter, #0.5)
  • Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6)
  • Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1)
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #10; de Piaget/MacLeod, #14; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5: Highlander, #8)
  • Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5)
  • Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6)
  • Dark Demon (Dark, #16)
  • The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)
Official Author site
Official Author Free Mobile App
US Publisher Kenyon site
Official UK Publisher Kenyon site
Official Chronicles of Nick site
Official Taiwan Publisher Dark-Hunter site
Official Facebook site

New York Times and international bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon is a regular at the #1 spot. With legions of fans known as Menyons (thousands of whom proudly sport tattoos from her series and
More about Sherrilyn Kenyon...

The Entire Dark-Hunterverse (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1)
  • Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2)
  • Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3)
  • Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #4)
  • Night Play (Were-Hunter, #1)
  • Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #5)
  • Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6)
  • Second Chances  (Dark-Hunter, #7.5)
  • Unleash the Night (Were-Hunter #2)
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Dark-Hunter #7, Were-Hunter #3)
Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3) Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #8) Night Play (Were-Hunter, #1) Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) The Dream Hunter (Dream-Hunter #1)

“You know, I would date, if I could find a man worth shaving my legs for. (Grace)” 466 likes
“Cupid, you worthless bastard, I summon you to human form! (Julian)
Gee, I can't imagine why he wouldn't respond to that. (Grace)”
308 likes